Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: New Quests Coming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the introduction of the Final Fantasy XIV v1.6 patch on March 3rd, players will find several new side quests and changes that will make questing more intuitive and smooth. Local levequests will also be updated in much the same way.

Sidequests are a new category of quests that are being added to the game. These will be made available through various NPCs located in each of the three cities, given that a player first fulfills certain class/rank prerequisites. The content of these endeavors vary greatly from one another, and we will continue to add further sidequests in future patches.

NPCs offering sidequests are easily distinguishable by the presence of an exclamation point (!) icon above their heads. The same icon is also displayed at sidequest NPC locations on the map and minimap. In the future, we plan to extend this feature to other quest NPCs, such as those offering class quests.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Have they changed the cooldown on Guildleves yet? Is the game still bland and not have much to do still?

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • lilmark_utsalilmark_utsa Member Posts: 66

How is the travel in the game now?  My g/f and I used to rock-paper-scissors to see who would lead us for 30 min to the area we needed to go for a 2min quest while the other watched tv.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The thing that burns my ass about this game's developers is they thought when people were complaining about how awkward the game was, they just assumed everyone was a pack of hockey helmets. Instead of realizing that the reason people didn't like the game wasn't because it was different, but because it sucked. They showed us though, right? These hasty and sweeping changes are proof of that.

/eyeroll

Joined - July 2004

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by lilmark_utsa

How is the travel in the game now?  My g/f and I used to rock-paper-scissors to see who would lead us for 30 min to the area we needed to go for a 2min quest while the other watched tv.

that's... that's just awful. and bringing your gf into that mess on top of it. i don't know who i feel worse for!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Quests are a step in the right direction, though in FF11 they did not provide a substantial enough award to make them worthwhile. If they're akin to the quests of their prior game, they'll mean nothing. What people want are the leve-like quests, things that provide exp and reward so they're not just killing monsters over and over.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124

This game was honestly so bad when I tried it I dont care if it becomes king of mmos someday I will never give it another look!

• rumplemanrumpleman Member UncommonPosts: 34

Ummm, is it just me, or are they just turning this game into FFWoW? That's not what this game needs, in my opinion.

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

I'm a huge FF fan but nothing would EVER make me want to come back to this pile of ****.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Yeah quest are a step to the right direction but I just dont get how they could have messed up so bad knowing what a success they made with ffxi.

• GueberGueber Member UncommonPosts: 37

This game is dead to me. DEAD TO ME! Kidding though my friend and I were so dissapointed when the game we had been waiting so long for finally came out and it sucked. So has it managed to get any good yet?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

The UI is better. The Market wards are better. Still nothing to do. No content. I'll let you know if it's "fun" after the patch tommorow. lol

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Ugh, why not a Crystal instead of a dern ' ! '

Anyway, if the quests end up being just a menu, with go kill x amount of said mob and get this reward with no in-game cut scenes, my interest level will drop exponentially.  I dunno if I'll care to return anytime soon if ever. 

Sucks too cause I fell in the trap thinking this would be the next big MMO since SE did so well with XI, thus I bought 10,000 Crysta in advance worth $100, and it'll prolly go to waste if I never play XIV...le sigh

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

imho the game needs an auction house and a revamp of the mouse and keyboard controls to make it playable for me.

Originally posted by Khrymson

Ugh, why not a Crystal instead of a dern ' ! '

Anyway, if the quests end up being just a menu, with go kill x amount of said mob and get this reward with no in-game cut scenes, my interest level will drop exponentially.  I dunno if I'll care to return anytime soon if ever. 

Sucks too cause I fell in the trap thinking this would be the next big MMO since SE did so well with XI, thus I bought 10,000 Crysta in advance worth $100, and it'll prolly go to waste if I never play XIV...le sigh

Yup I'm hopeing for the same thing. From the sound of it they will be a lot like the Job storyline quests which are pretty interesting.

Originally posted by Shari

imho the game needs an auction house and a revamp of the mouse and keyboard controls to make it playable for me.

It pretty much is an AH. The only difference is when you pick what you want you look at who's selling it cheapest then walk over to the person selling it. Pretty simple. The keyboard is just like it was in XI. I guess it couldn't hurt to put in a WoW style keyboard/mouse control scheme if there isn't one already. Never bothered to try it.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

There is a new UI coming, but another thing I want back are proper Linkshell Pearls, not these stupid shields with horrendous color schemes.

And for fricken fracks sake, give us more sound options so I can turn down the overly loud BG ambiance. {wind, bugs, birds, etc}  I mean I like it being there, but not so loud it drowns everything else out.  Even if you turn all 3 sound options off in-game its still there, and the only other option is to turn off all sounds from the external config, and I like the music and combat sounds.

The only solution I've found is turn up the music & sound effects, then ALT+TAB to desktop, open your Volume Meter, click on Mixer and there will be a separate sound bar just for FFXIV you can adjust.  Turn that down to where you can still hear the music, but the BG ambiance will be down much much lower than before making it better.  We shouldn't have to do that though...

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

When I see how Trion is listening to its playerbase and how customer-orientated they are, and how badly SE lacked in that department, I just don't know know why they still bother... I mean even the japanese players were angry. The FF franchise has gone straight to the dogs since Hironobu Sakaguchi has left the company.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

One thing I find amazing, is that there are so many of these folks that say "Hated the game, never giving it a second chance no matter what, not worth my time" but still take the time to read the new patch notes and take their time to talk about a game that they have no interest in spending more time on....

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Ugh. DO NOT WANT.

Side quests are fine. What I don't want are WoW-style quests, complete with that obnoxious little '!' over the NPCs head. Are MMO players theses days really so utterly brain dead they can't pick up on subtle cues and instead have to be beaten in the face with it?

I'll give it a shot, but if FFXIV goes down the WoW route, I'll drop it without a second look. The reason I've stuck with the game as long as I have is because it's a breath of fresh air (even if the oxygen supply is limited).

<3

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I gotta say this, I'm SICK of this exclamation (!) makr over NPCs with quest. The least you could do is come up with an original symbo... I can't believe how WoW dictates the MMO market. Heck even in DCUO, Rift, they have this ! thing going on.

• TrojangokuTrojangoku Member Posts: 16

only thing i'm having trouble is the travel system, couldn't even ride a chocobo to get around the large terrain, takes ages travel one spot to the next.

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

If you are going to troll or post how much you don't like the game, just don't post anything at all. If you don't like the game or care about it in the least then why do you even torture yourself by clicking on the link to the FFXIV Forums?

You don't like the game so what, alot of people still play it and it is growing daily since a new team has taken over. The game is getting a complete overhaul and does anyone have a can of Troll spray?

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Datcyde

Yeah quest are a step to the right direction but I just dont get how they could have messed up so bad knowing what a success they made with ffxi.

They messed up by trying to make the game so different from FFXI so as to make both games very distinct from one another, as well as not be another WoW clone. They tried too hard to change every aspect of their game from the current trend of MMO's, and they left out so many basic fundamentals that people enjoy, and we ended up with a crappy game with terrible mechanics, with very little content. 

If they had focused on keep many elements of FFXi that worked, used some of the basics of most MMO's, and didn't try to change everything, then I think they could've spent more time on the combat system - to make it truly fun and unique - and content.

But the funny thing is that there are actually people around that would defend the game in its current state and don't wish for as much to change as everyone else seems to.

Strange. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

SquareEnix can't seem to win with FFXIV.  At release, people bashed the game for a lack of quests and content.  Now that they're putting quests into the game, people are bashing it for being a WoW clone.

I'd say even with WoW-style questing, FFXIV is still pretty far from being a true WoW clone in the vein of so many other games out there.

• XsnakeyXsnakey Member Posts: 30

not as good as i expected