Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hands down best mmorpg I've ever played

2»

Comments

• rixkrixk Member Posts: 45

Yes, it is very good MMO. Years ago I was huge fan of UW2: New Horizons, I still consider it one of the best games ever made. So you can imagine my surprise, when about week ago I found out, that there is online version of Uncharted Waters. Downloaded it and it felt like old days. Went with trader route, graduated trading school, now I am working on other schools. They are simply very rewarding experience/fame wise. Of course on the side I am doing trading and also a bit crafting.

Found also nice company, who are experienced(at least compared to me) and whom I am bombarding with silly questions:P It is funny, that I began to understand the game, but when I joined the company, I realized, that I don't know anything yet. While the game looks very simple at first, there is a LOT of depth in it.

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by NortonGB

I did leave a post on your excellent laid out site, it never got published. :(

I have asked NM to ask you if a similar format could be used for the official forum but they didn't seem interested.

When you are done please leave a post there to inform others of it's existance so that it can be linked it to the Guide reference.

Welcome back Brash.  

Actually I finally got back to weed through that forum, there was like 500+ spambot messages and 2-3 actual people, but your message finally got published some 2-3 months late ^_^  I'll probably just lock the forum portion of the site  for now till I can figure out how to keep out the sex-site spammers.

I'm poking around right now on a baby biologist (since I know so little about adventure class, and it sounded intriguing to me) but she also does a LOT of cooking -- probably one of THE most useful "side skills" for any new player regardless of class,  so I will probably try to polish it up a bit more in the next few weeks as I think its valuable to anyone starting out new in the game. Most of the info is also in all the great wikis that have come out since then (esp oloUS, love that site), but I think having this format makes it easier to digest for a new player who is on 'information overload' from so much data to absorb.

(right now I am just having fun playing again!!)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Whoa where did this game come from? Looks like a sleeper title to me.

Sandbox, polished and decent GFX. What is the catch?

And how is the combat?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Yamota

And how is the combat?

Do you not read the banner ads? Man, this game has been around for a while now here at mmorpg.com, constantly advertising itself as being the closest thing to EVE that isn't EVE. :)

... maybe nobody believed such a claim.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Yamota

And how is the combat?

Do you not read the banner ads? Man, this game has been around for a while now here at mmorpg.com, constantly advertising itself as being the closest thing to EVE that isn't EVE. :)

... maybe nobody believed such a claim.

Is the death penalty as high as in Eve?

And I use AdBlock so maybe I miss a few ads :)

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

My question would be, can it be played casually for relaxation after tense starcraft 2 laddering ?

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Death penalty is relatvely minor (at least compared to eve!) as you can insure against losses, and unlike eve you don't risk things like skill gains or irreplaceable items.  I am a 'chicken of the sea' and run from NPC pirates and avoid pvp zones so for me, the game is much more carebear than cutthroat   ^_^ though for those who LIKE having some "trouble" livening things up and pushing their limits, it is probably much more exciting! After all, its a pirate game at heart! But because I am a very cautious player  and more of a trader/crafter sort, I don't think I have ever "died" (aka lost my ship/cargo/crew)  in all the time I played, though it can easily be done if you are rash and rush into things without thinking. 

And yes if you prefer, it can be played at a very leisurely relaxing pace for those looking for something with less adreniline than starcraft ^_^ There's roughly as much or as little adreniline as YOU want there to be.

There's a LOT of information to learn but you can start out playing without much knowledge and slowly add more complexity to your playing style as you go, you don't have to learn everything the first day, and you are still learning things months later.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by brash99

Death penalty is relatvely minor (at least compared to eve!) as you can insure against losses, and unlike eve you don't risk things like skill gains or irreplaceable items.  I am a 'chicken of the sea' and run from NPC pirates and avoid pvp zones so for me, the game is much more carebear than cutthroat   ^_^ though for those who LIKE having some "trouble" livening things up and pushing their limits, it is probably much more exciting! After all, its a pirate game at heart! But because I am a very cautious player  I don't think I have ever "died" (aka lost my ship/cargo/crew)  in all the time I played, though it can easily be done if you are rash and rush into things without thinking. 

And yes if you prefer, it can be played at a very leisurely relaxing pace for those looking for something with less adreniline than starcraft ^_^ There's roughly as much or as little adreniline as YOU want there to be.

There's a LOT of information to learn but you can start out playing without much knowledge and slowly add more complexity to your playing style as you go, you don't have to learn everything the first day, and you are still learning things months later.

Thanks for good fast response, gonna try this out.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I found it to be alright for a couple days, it was a nice change of pace if nothing else, didn't really have any lasting impression on me personally and grew wiery of the slowness after those couple of days.

I do recommend going through the lengthy tutorials though, and they are looong!

They explain a lot of what the game has to offer, out of the gate and also later on, and I don't feel most people would appreciate what the game is and all the intricacies, without first going through and actually reading the tutorials, especially the ones for your class.

For example, something like the Explorer, you'll likely find yourself lost on how to even progress and complete quests if you don't first understand how to use certain things, things aren't as simple as 'go here / return' sort of quests.

But that's not to say it can't be a casual game, since once you know about certain things it's pretty straight forward. It's just that without knowing, most things aren't quite as obvious as in most other mmo's.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

First i would say it helps if you have a nautical "Age of Sail" bias as opposed to the usual hack & slash. That's not to say there isn't some land combat but if that's your thing there are better mmo's.

Don't expect to be master in a week, there is some grind as is usual in many mmo's, there is also lot's of content that requires patience to get the best experience. Graphics not the best but not too bad either.

Overall a decent sandbox design with good r/l realistic balance that could be your thing, you will never know unless you try it.

• aika_satoaika_sato Member Posts: 24

While norton described the game enough for me I just can’t help wonder why people complain about the graphic issues of the game I run it on a 1080p resolution and it still looks amazing

I play a lot of games yes my 460 GTX hawk barley lifts a finger to run the game but I really don’t see it as horrible and bad that people describe it to be it looks like a PS2 RPG but running it on a HD resolution it looks great

now Mahbinogi and Ragnarok are still being played by people and considered classics UWO is like a revised classic if you are a player from CBT the graphics were given an upgrade and I do expect more improvements of future updates

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I enjoy the graphics.  They're not outdated in my opinion at all.  The sunsets are nice, and the sailing is relaxing.  Perhaps its the land based gameplay that really needs better detail?  Seems to be a weak point right, the land based combat and graphics? 

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by GrayGreene

I enjoy the graphics.  They're not outdated in my opinion at all.  The sunsets are nice, and the sailing is relaxing.  Perhaps its the land based gameplay that really needs better detail?  Seems to be a weak point right, the land based combat and graphics? 

Agree here

Graphics are actually very good,

Only the land details need some work.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• aika_satoaika_sato Member Posts: 24

yeah the land neads work reminds me of shadow of the colossus. where the land areas were to barren but the game was really good