Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

Comments

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

you had a beta invite but didn't bother playing?  your fault then.

you know what's ironic though?  she names her thread "Read before you buy" then posts this,

"Admittedly, with WAR dead, I was desperately hoping for a new pvp game. I had Rift beta access, didn't bother playing, and as a result wasted $50 bucks."

obviously she didn't read any of the info released about the game or she would have known it was a PvE focused.  that literally made me roll on the floor and laugh.

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

This made me laugh. So "subjectively" speaking the queues weren't that bad for you :)

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• FeruglixFeruglix Member Posts: 14

I can only agree with the guy who created this thread. This game is helluva boring, I quit 3 days into headstart. Played open beta aswell. 

It brings some new stuff into the genre and thats cool, so I don't really feel bad about wasting some of my money on it, but I will not put up an subscription plan for it in its current state.

I've been trying out almost all of the mmos out there in either beta, retail or trial state. Some are good but most are bad. What got me going in the mmo world was actually ac2, it was like casual heaven. I got to my ascension and then it was just cake. Rolling around with my guildies doing a couple of instances for that xp that really never seemed to push you up in levels that fast. But I could follow on in the footsteps of many great players and together we conquered many obstacles.

This game is just easy mode, you get to an area do a couple of quests and rifts then move on to the next area and so on. There is not really any need to have a guild other than that you'll gain some benefits that I can live without.

The flora and fauna is dull. You pretty much get pushed in the direction they want you to go and there arent many breathtaking views of the world. No vast deserts, deep forests etc.

We don't really have to talk about the music because it isn't that great.

The different classes feels all the same. 

The pvp is crap.

Might try it again after a year or two if its still up and running, but honestly I think they will have to make this one a free to play to keep its playerbase.

Might I add that I start to think that mmo's are old and outdated? I hardly have any help from any of the different players I encounter in the world. They are almost all assholes to some degree. Just caring about themselves. Now you might say that we do rifts/warfronts together. I will then say that even if we are on the same team we all strife to get the win and the points for ourself rather than for the team. So with this said I'll probally drop the whole mmo genre for the time being for some singleplayer games, those will quell my thirst for adventure more than the last years mmos have done.

I'm off to play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, in wait for next episode in the Elder Scrolls series. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Feruglix

I can only agree with the guy who created this thread. This game is helluva boring, I quit 3 days into headstart. Played open beta aswell. 

Here's what I don't understand. You don't like the game, it's obvious. Why did you buy it in the first place? Wasn't the beta a good enough indication that you wouldn't enjoy yourself?

Edit:

Just noticed the post count. It looks like we got tons of those bashing Rift these days, I wonder why ;)

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by Malkosha

I find it amusing that when confronted by a review that slants a little ... sometime a lot ... to the negative, the poster is accused of being a Blizz employee. When I come to those accusations I tend to skip over the rest of the post even if they have some great points in them. Its a credibility issue. The idea of a company trying to bad mouth another game by creating accounts or paying gamers to post in a negative way, is best left for those whose formal wardrobe includes a tinfoil hat. Which is worse? The dumbing down of games or the dumbing down of gamers?

Having said that, I do like to listen to people defend their game. At least those that are still riding on the reality train. Not all games are for everyone and someone else's turd might be another's diamond. A lot can be learned from different opinions both positive and negative. Just ... well ... keep on planet earth.

What I find truly hilarious are the people who claim you're "lying" if you dislike Rift.  No, I'm not lying.  I played the beta.  Noticing the quest-line was exactly the same no matter what race you played (at least in WoW you have your choice of several different starting areas, racial zones, etc) - I became bored with the PvE.  Upon noticing that the one warfront offered was basically a scaled down version of a Warhammer scenario or WoW battleground, I became bored quickly with that.  Upon realizing the rifts were basically a zerg-fest of dozens of random people mashing buttons, I became bored quickly with THAT.

People treat negative reviews of their game like negative reviews of their children or families; I find it comical.  To get so worked up that you foam at the mouth and call people "liars" for having a different opinion than yourself...  well... methinks you need to get out more.  Get some sunlight.  Realize that the world won't end if people have varying opinions of this boring little PvE game.

And for those of you who claim to love it so much, get off the forums and go play it.  (Unless you're trying to pace yourself; lest you run out of content too quickly.  ;) )

To the person I quoted above, kudos for managing to speak without frothing, spitting, cursing, or otherwise going off the deep end.  

I guess time will tell.  We'll see what servers are closing in 2-3 months. ;)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Elidien

I was going to do a point by point rebuttal too but then re-read and many points are either false or greatly exaggertaed as the other poster noted. While lengthy, I do not think the Op gives an accurate portrayal of the game as is curently.

Good point. At this point, the Haters will never change their minds. All many of them want to do is poison the well, as it were.  I guess from their perspective, they are "saving" other players from "wasting" their money.  I personally like Rift. Its an enjoyable, well polished game. Thats enough for me at this point. But I must say that I very much like the rift and invasion system.  The ability to join public groups and raids to fight rifts and invasions is also a plus in my estimation.  At this point, many people have taken either extreme side (Fan Boy, Hater) to the point of almost a religion.  I really do not see the point, but then opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one, and they all collect lint. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Test

The reason fans are "rabidly" defending the game is the same reason why people did it with WAR, Aion, etc... they desperately don't want to believe they wasted $50 and a sub fee. ;)

One thing I will give Trion props on - they offered a free beta.  Long enough for me to decide the game was boring.  I liked one poster's earlier comparison of Rift/Telera to Azeroth - Rift is like the little county fair you take your kids to; good for an evening's entertainment.  Azeroth is more like a European vacation - lots more to do, lots more to see.  I honestly can't see the content in Rift keeping people entertained for more than a couple months, tops.  It's a small little game that might offer some filler until other, better, bigger games come along.

I think the best things about Rift boil down to:

Server technology; it seems to handle large amounts of players zerging the rifts well enough.

Offering a Beta trial long enough for me to get bored and decide I didn't want to waste cash.

Um... that's about it.

Between questing, open world PvP, warfronts rifting (normal and invasions), dungeon runs, for now it seems that there are way too many things to do. Of course, I try to delve in pretty much everything I can get my hands on. Others artificially limit themselves to their prefered gamestyle.

For now the game is fun. Six-nine months down the line is way too much time to wait for something that will launch and I may or may not like. Besides, just because I play MMOs, I don't want to pass on some very good single RPG releases coming up this year.

Originally posted by Tazlor

you know what's ironic though?  she names her thread "Read before you buy" then posts this,

"Admittedly, with WAR dead, I was desperately hoping for a new pvp game. I had Rift beta access, didn't bother playing, and as a result wasted $50 bucks."

obviously she didn't read any of the info released about the game or she would have known it was a PvE focused.  that literally made me roll on the floor and laugh.

Did you read any of the developer posts or were you on the Trion forums during beta?  We were constantly told that PvP would be a "huge" part of Rift and that you could "level all the way to max doing PvP if you want" - sure ya can!  If you want to do the same 4 warfronts over and over and over and over and ove... you get the idea.

My WAR guild tried out Rift BECAUSE people were saying it was "like Warhammer" in the PvP content offered.

They, like myself, were sorely disappointed.  There's more PvP (and more compelling PvP) on that "other" game people love to hate.  When I mentioned a few times that PvP was lacking, rabid fanbois (who will probably be gone with 75% of the population 3-6 months from now) informed me "STFU N00B, Rift's a PvE game!"

So... yeah.  PvP was hyped, even by the developer, and anyone who came for the PvP was, I'm sure, disappointed.

• SandvichedSandviched Member Posts: 28

Actually open world PVP do play a farly big part in the game in contested areas, which is something non-existant in "that other game. Perhaprs you should get to level 26 before making conclusion? And if you're "think that other game" then you're severely biased, or you're an Arenas lover *shudder*.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Justarius1

Did you read any of the developer posts or were you on the Trion forums during beta?  We were constantly told that PvP would be a "huge" part of Rift and that you could "level all the way to max doing PvP if you want" - sure ya can!  If you want to do the same 4 warfronts over and over and over and over and ove... you get the idea.

My WAR guild tried out Rift BECAUSE people were saying it was "like Warhammer" in the PvP content offered.

They, like myself, were sorely disappointed.  There's more PvP (and more compelling PvP) on that "other" game people love to hate.  When I mentioned a few times that PvP was lacking, rabid fanbois (who will probably be gone with 75% of the population 3-6 months from now) informed me "STFU N00B, Rift's a PvE game!"

So... yeah.  PvP was hyped, even by the developer, and anyone who came for the PvP was, I'm sure, disappointed.

So, how much PvP content did WoW LAUNCH with?...  What many people seem to forget is that WoW has been around for more than six years now.  I came in, in late beta and leveled to 60 on Deathwing, so I'm rather familiar with the PvP. I later transfered to Silvermoon, and I have four 85's and an 82 there.

There is no way for even a well funded group such as Trion obviously is, to launch with as much content as a game thats been around six plus years, and had three expansions.   But the rabid types are pretty much correct. Rift is first and fore most a PvE game. It has some PvP aspects, just as WoW does. As for the Dev's, it wouldn't be the first (nor likely the last) time that one or more got caught up in the moment and mis spoke.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I am having fun playing the game sure its nothing breathtakingly new for the genre but it has some nice ideas and in my opinion is one (if not the) most polished game right now.

Sure it has its flaws i personally dont like the PVP that much dont really know why to be honest it just doesn't feel right but than its not worse as in most other games so its ok.

I actually do enjoy the questing the Story's (especially the main story missions) are pretty nice u do have tons of go here kill X mobs come bk (but than what more is there really) but u do have a good story sending u on the way to go kill the mobs which i at least appreciate. (but than i actually do read the quests....guess that helps)

One example of what did really amaze me was a Mission i was doing which ended in an Elite mob spawning and beating the crap out of me after i tried several times and failed i was about to give up as an small Invasion force came close to the Spawn location.

Since the environment is actually reacting to such things my Elite ended up being ganked by the Invasion mobs i saw my chance and finished him off finishing my quest.

Now that may not sound to amazing to you but i was really enjoying that since well can u name a situation where this happened in another MMO??

Originally posted by Wraithone

So, how much PvP content did WoW LAUNCH with?...  What many people seem to forget is that WoW has been around for more than six years now.  I came in, in late beta and leveled to 60 on Deathwing, so I'm rather familiar with the PvP. I later transfered to Silvermoon, and I have four 85's and an 82 there.

There is no way for even a well funded group such as Trion obviously is, to launch with as much content as a game thats been around six plus years, and had three expansions.   But the rabid types are pretty much correct. Rift is first and fore most a PvE game. It has some PvP aspects, just as WoW does. As for the Dev's, it wouldn't be the first (nor likely the last) time that one or more got caught up in the moment and mis spoke.

Huge difference here - WoW wasn't launched as a "great PvP" game.  Rift was.  The developers hyped the "great" PvP in Rift and now that the game is out, even the player base will tell you that it's "mainly a PvE" game.

Those people coming over from Warhammer looking for engaging world PvP?  Wasting their time.

Getting "caught up in the moment" is one thing; making a statement like "You can level by PvP alone!  Rift is a PvPer's paradise!" is an outright lie or hallucination.  Anyone who has played Rift and looked for PvP there will tell ya... it ain't no PvPer's paradise.

(And with the limited content, I'm not even sure how it will hold the attention of PvE fans for long.)

You can certainly level all the way to max level doing WF, how did Trion lie again? And limited content in Rift? What're you talking about?

Limited content = lack of racial starting zones; basically one zone for Guardian or Defiant no matter what you play, and it's a themepark-on-rails style questing.  There just isn't a lot out there.  Making one character on the Defiant side and leveling from 1-20 is going to be remarkably similar to doing it with another character.  There just isn't much content.

As for warfronts, you seriously believe it's "viable" to use the 4 existing warfronts to level from 1-50?  Um, yeah buddy.  You try that and let me know how it works out for you, or if your brain starts to bleed out your ears due to boredom.

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by Wraithone

So, how much PvP content did WoW LAUNCH with?... 

This is maybe relevant if you want to start an MMO's study from an historian perspective, but it isnt from a basic player/customer point of view. People won't choose to play Rift because it brings at least as much than other MMOs when they released several years ago, they will instead put it into balance with what else they can play right now.

And no, I'm not saying Rift fails in terms of content if it doesn't equal some other big name, far from it, because there is no way a new released MMO can have the same content as an old 6 years MMO. Most recent MMOs must instead introduce new and compelling mechanics to attract and keep players, otherwise once the novelty effect has passed they fly back to their older games. And I wish Rift the best in this way :)

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

Limited content = lack of racial starting zones; basically one zone for Guardian or Defiant no matter what you play, and it's a themepark-on-rails style questing.  There just isn't a lot out there.  Making one character on the Defiant side and leveling from 1-20 is going to be remarkably similar to doing it with another character.  There just isn't much content.As for warfronts, you seriously believe it's "viable" to use the 4 existing warfronts to level from 1-50?  Um, yeah buddy.  You try that and let me know how it works out for you, or if your brain starts to bleed out your ears due to boredom.

So just because the game lack racial starting zones it's amount of content is suddenly "severely limited"? Never mind the ....rather large amount of endgame content. Mind you WoW has like 4 starting zones for each race but when you get out of the starting zone it's the same shit for everyone. Blind bias at it's best.

The same can be said for "that other game", yet you're here saying "that  other game" have more compelling PvP, especially from level 1-60 you're stuck with 3. What? You want a newly launched game to have more PvP content that a 7 years old game? Get real.

• ololuluololulu Member UncommonPosts: 164

Hey!

I played all Beta events(exept the last event), both side, got maxed level in every beta event, tried different classes.

And i got so tired of the game that i didn't eaven join the last beta event.

I had preordered the game and canceled before the release and i feel kind of happy for doing so.

I am looking for a little more that grind, but for me Rift was all grind.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

As for warfronts, you seriously believe it's "viable" to use the 4 existing warfronts to level from 1-50?  Um, yeah buddy.  You try that and let me know how it works out for you, or if your brain starts to bleed out your ears due to boredom.

I've played CS for 7 years, it used to be 2 same maps all over again. It's not about the variance, but more like bettering yourself every time you play.

• nankoeknankoek Member UncommonPosts: 17

I totally disagree with the first post, seriously first of all if you make a review you also give some positive points?

Limited content = lack of racial starting zones; basically one zone for Guardian or Defiant no matter what you play, and it's a themepark-on-rails style questing.  There just isn't a lot out there.  Making one character on the Defiant side and leveling from 1-20 is going to be remarkably similar to doing it with another character.  There just isn't much content.

I hope you realise that since for your idea of PvP is warfronts, you're bount to get bored running the same scenarios constantly. I would suggest joining a PvP server and have a good guild take you hunting into enemy territory.

• ololuluololulu Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by nankoek

I totally disagree with the first post, seriously first of all if you make a review you also give some positive points?

Sure Rifts were fun at start but eventually you will see that they are all the same, you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again which is kind of grind.

Play a few days/weeks/months and you will see it will become boring.

Pvp- they will nerf every class 100x and probably wont figure out how to balance it.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Sandviched

The same can be said for "that other game", yet you're here saying "that  other game" have more compelling PvP. What? You want a new launched game to have more PvP content that a 7 years old game? Get real.

I think PVP becomes more and more important as u grow in lvls at the begin you are in your save (more or less) little world do quests and some Warfronts from time to time certainly not that much PVP here however once the areas are crowded by both sides it all changes suddenly its not only the rifts/invasions/events you are fighting its the other side as well.

The endgame rift raids which Trion showed us seemed to be outdoors as well so (if i understood it right) you first get the items u need to draw this specific rift out than u have to fight through the story and all the time wonder when the other side comes to join the party.

Sure it may not be go to position X defend Tower (or defeat Guard) to hold the region for your side but honestly doesn't it sound way more fun the way it could be in Rift?? Its unpredictable it can happen everywhere at every time that might not appeal to everyone but i think if you are looking for some real PVP which is not the same old warfronts or conquer a Tower shit u had so often already u actually could love Rifts PVP...of course if u never actually manage to get to the point since u expected it to happen right at the begin of the game well u will loose out get sour and post a lot of garbage on forums but thats cool too to everyone its own i always say,,,,,

Originally posted by ololulu

Pvp- they will nerf every class 100x and probably wont figure out how to balance it.

It is true that the free form system is a pain to balance. On the other hand, they don't need to balance it for 1vs1 combat, the way other games featuring arenas have to do it. It's all about the team synergy and how they cover their weaknesses and rely on their strengths.

I's just a matter of whether you want freedom or not, the more freedom the more balance issues you'll run into.