Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

Comments

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

I agree with the OP.

The game is kind of fun in a FPS kind of way...but wow, what a boring world Telara is.  No humor.  No charm.  Boring NPCs.   Nothing that compels the player into any sort of exploration....nothing to really immerse you in.  It reminds me of the old EQ1 days where the NPCs were nothing but quest vending machines.

I think the funniest thing that happened to me is that I had some quests that relied on killing creatures in a rift and another one that relied on kiling creatures in an invasion.  I literally just partied up with the public and went and did other things while they accomplished my quests for me.  lol.

As someone who just dipped back into WOW after four  years, there's no way I can possibly say I'd rather visit Telara over Azeroth.  Thats sort of like choosing to vacation at your local county fair over going to New Zealand.  Rift is a fun time-waster, but I cant see commiting myself to it in any serious fashion.  Again, its like an FPS..you go in, have some fun for awhile before you go back to your more serious game.  That's what it is to me...

Ultimately, I think Rift is simply the rest-stop for people ready for the next real MMO...

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Originally posted by jpnole

Considering it's the OPs first post I'd say take the seriousness of this thread very lightly.... if at all. Game is great, best thing to happen to mmos in a while.

Ouch, best thing to happen to MMOs in a while, is sad to say the least. It s an ok game, but if this is what MMOs are all going to be like, i ll quit the genre or play older, good MMOs.

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I didn't like the game either...

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by heerobya

Oh come on, we all know the TRUE future of MMORPGs - 

AFK macro-grinding your skills while you sleep and pray/hope no one finds the dark corner you are running into constantly so they can gank you and steal your loots FFA PvP style in a game world with 2004 graphics and 2000 design concepts.

THAT is the future!

Dynamic content, player choice, story... these are all relics of ancient grand-daddy MMOs for die-hard veterans...

LMFAO image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Elidien

Is Rift to blame for people not exploring or is it player mentality that they cannot stop and smell the roses and take the time to explore?

Of course, I am old school. I do not think there should be any type of reward for exploring except the majestic views and beautiful areas that you come across.

Im talking about seeing a boat or a ship about to disembark and hopping onto it just to see where you end up.  Stuff like that.

Dont get me wrong, I dont HATE Rift at all. I think it's fun...I just think it's lacking in atmosphere and story.  I cant believe people can get used to such a small world so quickly when that "other" MMO has such a huge map.   But then again, as I said, I picked up Wow a couple of months when Cataclysm came out and I hadn't played in four years.  I picked up Rift because I wanted to be a part of an MMO launch for a game thats been highly regarded.  I'm wiling to give it time..but Im not willing to drop my other game for it.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Zerocyde

Originally posted by romanator0

An astute observation.

Ohh, and you're fooling no one. No one here thinks that you two are two different people.

I do, you ultra Rift Fanboi you. The game is mediocre at best and in this MMO environment, won't last long. I've seen better fall very soon after launch. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Rift is actually the first of the "new" generation of MMOs that actively encourages grouping in all aspects of game play.

Even questing while in a group is just as fast and efficient (if not MORE efficient due to less downtime) then going it solo.

Usually, it's either completely solo and you take a massive hit to efficiency playing with other people.

or you are forced to group and can't accomplish anything worth while solo.

There is no reason not to group, there are plenty of reasons to group up, yet there is also no ill-effect for soloing... it's having your cake and eating it to. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by ZigZags

An astute observation.

Ohh, and you're fooling no one. No one here thinks that you two are two different people.

I do, you ultra Rift Fanboi you. The game is mediocre at best and in this MMO environment, won't last long. I've seen better fall very soon after launch. 

Better? Which games?

If you are talking about polish and a "complete" launch with all features in place and fully fleshed out content... I am really curious as to what MMO releases in recent years have been "better."

STO, Aion, WAR, AoC, TR... the list goes on for games that were either horribly buggy and broken, missing key features, terribly unpolished, lacking in content, etc. 

• Kawi1Kawi1 Member UncommonPosts: 34

So, I just read all 9 pages of this thread (yes...all 9) because I'm interested in this game and I like to see what others think.  Yes...everyone.  Obvious fanbois and haters are well....obvious.  Those are easy to determine.  I'm more interested in what the average pulse of this thread is.

Here's what I get:

• It's not ground-breaking but that's fine because what MMO ISN'T a copy, in some way, of others before it.  MMOs are all about persepective anyway.  Your first MMO is likely your favorite and all games after have to live up to it's standard.

• The game is what you make of it.  If you want to quest, you can.  Grind...there's that too.  PvP...check.  Rifts...nice change of pace with good rewards for participating.  Also, they are completely optional.

• Graphics are completely subjective and are dependant on many things.

• Soul system allows pretty good choice into what a character can be/do.  Experimentation is rewarding.

• I don't care if OP is Blizz employee or not, nor do I care that he only had one post.

All in all, I think Rift is a pretty decent game from what I've read throughout all the differing forums I've perused (you don't think I just read this one...do you?)  I'm a little on the fence but that's mostly because I have a life and I know I'd quickly become addicted to this game.  I'll probably pick this up as I feel that $50 for 30 days of entertainment (at least) is a pretty good deal.  At least to try it out anyway.  I didn't do the Beta for one simple reason...Betas are for testing and the content that's in there may/may not be in the final release.  Then again, what's to say things won't change anyway but you get my drift hopefully.

No matter what though, I hope those that like the game continue to enjoy it and those that didn't will find a game/games that suites them.  Thanks to all that posted...I did take them (most of them anyway) to heart.  Maybe I'll see you all in game.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Its fated to be a small niche game with a dwindling audience and honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Trion is forced to go f2p within a year. 

While your opinion is your own, doomsayings like these are just silly. You might as well say that all MMORPG's besides WoW are fated to be small niche games with a dwindling audience.

If you didn't like it and have been disappointed by it, doesn't mean that others will: a lot of MMO gamers had the same expectations as you had, they played the same beta as you did, but in contrast to you they were enthusiastic enough to buy it and enjoy playing it.

While I have my doubts about the longevity of Rift's content, there's no denying that Rift has a better and more polished launch than most of the other MMORPG's the last couple of years.

As I said, its my take on it and you are welcome to disagree, but calling it silly is rather well...silly. I also like how you ran with it and totally took it in another over exaggerated level.

My take on it is based on observations and patterns that so far have proven consistent. A strong launch doesnt make a long lasting game. This should be obvious. No matter how polished a launch is, if the game gets boring its done for. Period. Rift IS trying to compete with WoW and quite frankly thats a risky thing to do. 

Either way, 3 and then 6 months from now, people will know whether it was correct or not. Till then I doubt anyone really cares, especially the fanboys..why? because they, like many gamers, live in the moment and the hype. Once its gone they wont really care and it wont really matter.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I think I'll wait for Guild Wars 2. I Think that will be more of the game that players were hoping Rift would be. And the graphics look nice but the world is overly bland.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Its fated to be a small niche game with a dwindling audience and honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Trion is forced to go f2p within a year. 

While your opinion is your own, doomsayings like these are just silly. You might as well say that all MMORPG's besides WoW are fated to be small niche games with a dwindling audience.

If you didn't like it and have been disappointed by it, doesn't mean that others will: a lot of MMO gamers had the same expectations as you had, they played the same beta as you did, but in contrast to you they were enthusiastic enough to buy it and enjoy playing it.

While I have my doubts about the longevity of Rift's content, there's no denying that Rift has a better and more polished launch than most of the other MMORPG's the last couple of years.

As I said, its my take on it and you are welcome to disagree, but calling it silly is rather well...silly. I also like how you ran with it and totally took it in another over exaggerated level.

My take on it is based on observations and patterns that so far have proven consistent. A strong launch doesnt make a long lasting game. This should be obvious. No matter how polished a launch is, if the game gets boring its done for. Period. Rift IS trying to compete with WoW and quite frankly thats a risky thing to do. 

Either way, 3 and then 6 months from now, people will know whether it was correct or not. Till then I doubt anyone really cares, especially the fanboys..why? because they, like many gamers, live in the moment and the hype. Once its gone they wont really care and it wont really matter.

Actually his comment of calling you silly is spot on as you said, its going to to take 3-6months before we can judge. So after a week out you say its going to die but you need 3-6 months before you know if its going to die. That kind of logic is silly.

If you find things repetive and dull so be it. But I am completly ok with polished game that borrows a lot from other games that at launch is stable and has content. Something not one MMORPG has done since WOW.  With the exception of fallen earth, that launch wasnt to bad but the wierd movement and comabt animation bug me.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by pmaura

Actually his comment of calling you silly is spot on as you said, its going to to take 3-6months before we can judge. So after a week out you say its going to die but you need 3-6 months before you know if its going to die. That kind of logic is silly.

If you find things repetive and dull so be it. But I am completly ok with polished game that borrows a lot from other games that at launch is stable and has content. Something not one MMORPG has done since WOW.  With the exception of fallen earth, that launch wasnt to bad but the wierd movement and comabt animation bug me.

Reading comprehension isnt your strong point is it? 

I am not saying I am going to wait till then, but it seems like some of you will complain no matter what I say so thats why I offer up, FOR YOU and those like you, to wait 3-6 months to see. If I am wrong, feel free to send me PMs. But I am telling you right now, at the dreaded 3 month mark they will begin to lose their initial subs, and at 6 months a large portion of the initial playerbase will be gone. 

I stated it as my opinion and belief, to say its lacking logic when its purely subjective seems dumb, dont you think? 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Look closely at what I wrote: I didn't say that your whole opinion or how you feel about Rift is silly. but that saying  that Rift is fated to be small niche game with dwindling audience and expecting that it'll go F2P within a year is silly. It's sort of the same wish fulfillment thinking as that blogger that wrote that SWTOR cost 300 million dollar and that it will be the biggest MMORPG crash and fail in MMO history. That's the silly thinking part, I find anyone who makes confident 'oracle' statements like that how a game will fail and burn or go F2P very soon after launch or that a game will be the 'WoW killer' silly. In my eyes.

But I am telling you right now, at the dreaded 3 month mark they will begin to lose their initial subs, and at 6 months a large portion of the initial playerbase will be gone. 

What you describe has happened to every AAA MMORPG title in the past 5-6 years:

not every player who buys the game also subs after the 1st month.

Sub numbers after 3-6 months is less than it was at launch.

Everyone is aware of that, there are even analytical reports that describe the average retention rate and line of decline.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93

Didnt read the hole thread but dunno why he was buying the game only to see whats in there.

Was in the same boat didnt play beta was not sure about it,and was buying for "5 euro" a headstart key and can play till release

+ all preorder items the others were getting too

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

After reading this thread in its entirety, and pondering the meaning of life, the universe, and everything for several million years, I think I have finally come to the answer of how the OP could have gotten himself into the situation he had gotten himself into. How could someone not try Rift in the open Beta when they had an interest in it? How could that same person not have posted a single question on Rift on these forums prior to making his purchase? And how could he have gotten to level 30 before he finally smacked himself in the head and realized he had to get his money back?

Well there seems to me to be only one way all of this could have happened. He lives at home with mom and dad. Yes thats the answer right there. He didnt have permission to try the Beta, and first chance he got he went out and bought the game without them knowing about it. He spent the first 3 days of Headstart without doing his chores, not going to bed on time, and generally not listening to anything his parents told him to do. So when they went to find out why, and realized he wasted all that money on a stupid computer game, they told him to take it back NOW. Oh and probably grounded him for two weeks on top of that.

It all makes perfect sense now doesn't it. Moral of the story, and point behind this entire thread is simple. Make sure you have mom and dad's approval before you use thier credit card to pre-order a computer game. Otherwise you could turn out like the OP here and only be able to play MMORPG.com FFA fanboi/hater PVP instead of the game you wanted to play.

Today's show has been sponsored by the letter "W" and the number "4".

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by pmaura

Reading comprehension isnt your strong point is it? 

I am not saying I am going to wait till then, but it seems like some of you will complain no matter what I say so thats why I offer up, FOR YOU and those like you, to wait 3-6 months to see. If I am wrong, feel free to send me PMs. But I am telling you right now, at the dreaded 3 month mark they will begin to lose their initial subs, and at 6 months a large portion of the initial playerbase will be gone. 

I stated it as my opinion and belief, to say its lacking logic when its purely subjective seems dumb, dont you think? 

Everything you've 'predicted' about this game over the last few months  before has been wrong.  You were wrong about this game being a slightly tweaked Gamebryo.  You were wrong about linear quests.  You were wrong about your prediction of 150,000 subs.  You were wrong about this game only being a niche MMO.  You were wrong about how they deal with server load.  You were wrong about what dynamic content meant in this game.  You were wrong about how patches and in-game content adds and fixes were implemented.  You were wrong about the game not being able to do AA.

Now 1.6 - 2.4 million people know how wrong you are.

MMO vets who know about server loads, know the average server max holds 20,000 - 30,000 people.

There's 80+ servers for headstart...I'm not even counting the 30+ launch ones.

/shrug

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Everything you've 'predicted' about this game over the last few months  before has been wrong.  You were wrong about this game being a slightly tweaked Gamebryo.  You were wrong about linear quests.  You were wrong about your prediction of 150,000 subs.  You were wrong about this game only being a niche MMO.  You were wrong about how they deal with server load.  You were wrong about what dynamic content meant in this game.  You were wrong about how patches and in-game content adds and fixes were implemented.  You were wrong about the game not being able to do AA.

Now 1.6 - 2.4 million people know how wrong you are.

MMO vets who know about server loads, know the average server max holds 20,000 - 30,000 people.

There's 80+ servers for headstart...I'm not even counting the 30+ launch ones.

/shrug

Ah the usual suspects. 

I like how you didnt even reference my posts and are happily making stuff up as usual. Where did I say the game would launch with 150,000 subs? lol Where did I say this game is just a niche game at launch? I think your reading comprehension needs some work as well. I was right about GameBryo by the way. You can shave the hair off a poodle, and dye it pink, but its still a poodle. Gamebryo is no different. The graphics in the game are dated, just like Gamebryo is dated. I was also right about linear quests, but that wasnt so much a prediction as much as it was a factual observation that many have shared. Feel free to tell me where I ever talked about server load btw since I do not even recall talking about it. Also I never said the game couldnt use AA, only that it wasnt present as an application enabled option during the early beta stages. Is your reading that bad or do you just have the usual dummie bias going on?

The point is, you are doing the same typical fanboy response as you have always have. I give you kudos for consistency, even if it is misguided not always based in reality.

A Trion Employee and a guy whom played alpha both responded before to correct you on the Gamebryo thing and you didn't respond to that.  Anyone can look at your post history to see what you said a month or two ago and I'm not going to bother to do it because you won't respond like the last time I did it.  I've refuted your claims time and time again with links of factual evidence and you don't respond.  I'm not bothering to do it again. 

As for the linear quest thing, anyone who's played to thirty knows that there are plenty of quests available randomly in the world.  Where you just walk up and see an NPC somewhere and accept the quest.  These quests aren't in a hub, but scattered throughout the world.  There's a mining pick quest that you have to figure out how to scale a scaffolding to get up there to get the quest.  There's Ancient Wardstones quests that you have to find.  There's quests and achievements if you bother to run and explore the numerous mountains in Stonefield.  The basic quest line is linear, but the game offers much more.  Like many other broad strokes you paint, this point you constantly make is no different.

• Originally posted by heerobya

Originally posted by ZigZags

An astute observation.

Better? Which games?

If you are talking about polish and a "complete" launch with all features in place and fully fleshed out content... I am really curious as to what MMO releases in recent years have been "better."

STO, Aion, WAR, AoC, TR... the list goes on for games that were either horribly buggy and broken, missing key features, terribly unpolished, lacking in content, etc. 

I agree that this games "more" polished then other games. however, this game will have a few big problems that have been posted by many posters in this forum.  that said, this game is sorta "ok" its not the greatest game since sliced bread. as mmorpg said if your looking for a game that "reminds" you of wow, war, everquest and so on then this game might get you by. but if your looking for a game that  is revoultionary (meaning different play style) then this game isnt for you. which is what I think some posters were expecting.

getting back to the graphics for a moment, the graphics are better then wow but they arent the greatest for an mmo. I think aion takes the cake for best graphics when it comes to mmos.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

The OP was right on almost all points. I played the beta and found the game very complete and polished but unfortunately very typical and very boring. This game really brings nothing new to the table. It is just a complete rehash of various other MMO's. If this was F2P maybe but as a monthly sub game it's going to decline quickly just like Warhammer and Conan.

• stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

Originally posted by stormseekaz

"The servers with pvp guilds worth playing against" ?  Are you serious?  How do you know they are a good pvp guild?  Did you read about them on the forums?  You said "i didn't play beta at all"  ok so you've had NO EXPERIENCE against them.  There is a server que because of what the player population decided to do.  It has nothing to do with Trion.  Trion had plenty of servers up at launch, they'd announce in game every time a new one popped up.

Or do you know who the "good" pvp guilds are because you played WoW against them?  And they said, "Oh we are rolling on this server, come join it if you think your uber sausages!"

Some of you guys are just adorable!

While at least you made the effort to share your view, before you accused me of being a Blizzard employee, I honestly don't get the point. I made it crystal clear in my post that I am presenting my opinion. Emphasis on opinion. How are you going to write a rebuttal to my statement that I dislike all the above mentioned points about Rift? I still dislike them and I am afraid that's not gonna change.

But since you tried, I will answer  your question about worthwile pvp guilds. If you were a pvper, which you are quite obviously not, you'd know that the hardcore pvp community is surprisingly small. Thus, the same guilds you've played in pvp centric games for several years flock to one server to ensure real competition. And no, you will not find them in WoW.

DAoC FFA server, Ultima Online Siege Perilous server, Darkfall....

Your right, I'm not a big pvper at all.

• GreenJellyGreenJelly Member Posts: 55

No offense to anyone, but what NEW MMORPG game has actually been worth playing?  I have given up on buying any MMO that is not atleast a year or two old.  Simply put, developers KNOW that they are making a risk and they put out a game that is incomplete at best.  As time passes addons released, game is tweaked and you find a game worth playing.

Examples?  Just about every MMORPG I ever played.  COH, LOTRO, Anarchy Online (yes I played that at release), etc.

The only new MMORPG that kept my attention was WoW, but I think that has allot to do with the amount invested and risk Blizzard took on.  Quite honestly, Blizzard Fanboys that are against the game because its popular annoy the hell out of Me.  I don't like it because Blizzards support and customer service SUCKS!  My character had all of its items deleted while the account was deactivated and they offered me 700 gold for my pain and suffering.

To develop a very large game requires an huge initial investment.  Very few companies have been willing to put this large down payment on a game, and the only game I know that has this initial huge investment is SWTOR.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Irishoak

Ok, so here we have a person who didn't bother to try out the open betas, which were almost impossible to NOT get into, mysteriously bought a brand new mmo sight unseen when he could have easily tried it for a few days for nothing, and even after dropping his hard earned dollars on it couldn't be arsed to play it for even a few minutes, by his post count wasn't the least bit interested in asking others what they thought of the game, then long after his chance to get his money back is up finds to his suprise he doesn't like his purchase. Hmmm

So after being a completely disinterested, and in my opinion foolish, consumer he is going to make the effort to come here, sign up and make a longwinded post on why he feels this game sucks? And worse, expect us to take him seriously? This guy is either dishonest, delusional, or a complete dunce.

Oh, like the guy is new here, it's an old hand with a QQ account.

Well for me that fits under my choice of dishonest. I guess I should have added "sockpuppet" to that list.

Motion seconded.

Ayes.

Nays.

Motion carried.

Henceforth they shall be "sockpuppets." 

*gavel*

• theguru22theguru22 Member Posts: 52

My two room mates and I played Rift in Beta and everyone concluded that there was nothing special or original about it at all. If you like WoW, there's no reason to leave it. If you don't like WoW, then you won't like Rift. There's a reason people compare so many MMOs to WoW. Let me fill you in: THEY'RE EXACTLY LIKE WOW.

If you want NEW aspects or at least different aspects from WoW you'll have to play things like Eve, Xsyon, or SWGEMU. Rift is more of the same, and MMO vets are bored for good reason. We've seen this a dozen times. Rift is the Justin Beiber of MMOs, some people love him because they've either never listened to Nirvana or are stupid kids, and everyone else hates him because he's so bland, safe, and uninteresting. 0 credit to Rift for anything but being yet another iteration of EQ/WoW. Anyone who wants a fresh or deep scene, try those games I mentioned.

- Theguruofreason

• 5ubzer05ubzer0 Member UncommonPosts: 72

So after being a completely disinterested, and in my opinion foolish, consumer he is going to make the effort to come here, sign up and make a longwinded post on why he feels this game sucks? And worse, expect us to take him seriously? This guy is either dishonest, delusional, or a complete dunce.

You're cute!

That being said, I think you vastly overestimate your own importance. This thread wasn't started for you, or with the ulterior motive of gaining some mad mmorpg.com street cred. Frankly, the way Rift is portrayed by some fanboys is beyond ridiculous. If you've read the official forums, you know there are plenty of threads titled "Love letter to Trion," "This game is utterly brilliant!," "I'll play forever!!!" and other fanboy propaganda. Yes, those were posted yesterday and you can actually search for them.

So why did I make this thread? Because I don't like the game, and I assume there are others who won't like it either. Actually, this has been pretty much proven here. Perhaps reading all of this is going to save someone who's on the fence fifty bucks. Perhaps not. I am fine either way.

Also, I am a female gamer. So if you attempt to insult me, at the very least, use the correct pronoun.