Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what has improved?

DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I know--like the rest of the mmo community that 14 was a terrible disaster. Some of their choices didn't work out, others were obviously bad (no ah/centralized marketplace). As matter of fact... I haven't really heard anything good about the game.

But I wanted 14 to be a success--I went back to 11 today after years in wow..--and hope it will be. Like the rest of the community, I know that the chances that a full revamp is a long process and they're supposedly making changes as rapidly as they can.

What have they done so far? What's looking better? Heading in the right direction?

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Comments

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115

They are heading in the right direction and I'm loving it now.

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

is their a trial yet?

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by shal.ffxi

They are heading in the right direction and I'm loving it now.

Haha. But what improvements have been made?

It's not a troll, I really want to know because if they can make changes that give it a respectably sized playerbase, I'd love to play myself (I hate playing empty games).

I do wish it was a lot more like XI.. XI had a lot of good qualities.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Well here is a link to their offical patch notes on the most recent patch

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

I've been keeping up to date on it, honestly nothing "amazing" has changed  yet, they still have a long way to go before the game will be close to where 11 was when it hit NA with Zilart.  Its still no sub cus its still "sorta beta" I mean if you read the producer letters you'll get an idea, it almost sounds like we're back to square one with game design.

Edit: For instance, he is thinking of adding in auto attack and jumping.

• mmrbaisitemmrbaisite Member Posts: 61

There is no subscription fee atm. Not much has changed, some search options and minor bugs.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I quit after a couple of weeks. Re-installed a few days ago to see. I didn't spend a lot of time, but that was because after to doing a levequest and walking around I logged. So, there you go.

I think for people who liked the game the improvments probably seem great, but if you didn't like the game before I don't think enough has changed to make a difference, imo.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by cloudacv

is their a trial yet?

No. You have to buy the game but there is no sub currently.

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

Definately heading in the right direction.  It has a schedule of a major patch a month at the moment.

They have streamlined many of the menus, so not as many clicks are needed to do stuff.  Gathering and crafting seem to not take as much time as they did.  SP gain in parties is good now.  Buying stuff in wards and overall dealing with retainers has improved greatly.  The map can now be scrolled and actually shows stuff like quest npcs on it.   Chat is easier to use.  These are what I notice to be the greatest improvements thus far.  It should be noted that all the ui improvements are not done yet so it should get even more streamlined/pc friendly.

I would suggest to wait till the march content patch comes out since the game can still seem to be majorly lacking in content if you're used to a more traditional mmo.  It should add some quests ( hopefully ffxi style) and fix my personal pet peeve of not being able to adjust the camera during battle, among other things.

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

Originally posted by Pro-Pain

Definately heading in the right direction.  It has a schedule of a major patch a month at the moment.

They have streamlined many of the menus, so not as many clicks are needed to do stuff.  Gathering and crafting seem to not take as much time as they did.  SP gain in parties is good now.  Buying stuff in wards and overall dealing with retainers has improved greatly.  The map can now be scrolled and actually shows stuff like quest npcs on it.   Chat is easier to use.  These are what I notice to be the greatest improvements thus far.  It should be noted that all the ui improvements are not done yet so it should get even more streamlined/pc friendly.

I would suggest to wait till the march content patch comes out since the game can still seem to be majorly lacking in content if you're used to a more traditional mmo.  It should add some quests ( hopefully ffxi style) and fix my personal pet peeve of not being able to adjust the camera during battle, among other things.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Especially this thorough reply.

Looking for a good game to play and really hope 14 can be it.

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115

Patch update tomorrow.  Check out the lodestone. http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html if you want to see update/changes, always check here. SE  is really improving the game and I'm quite happy with it. Now what we need is more content.

It always irritated me not being able to jump in FFXI... it just seemed weird to be glued to the ground.

It's very vague but I remember not being up to walk some of the smallest terrain bumps and it seems like not being able to walk down them either..

Player collision was also realistic but annoying (rather, slowed while walking through them, not hard-stop) but the community evolved on certain things. I definitely saw players booted from good standing linkshells for standing in the claiming ally's path.

It's strange because other games, namely wow in my experience, wouldn't have a community that would support that kind of courtesy.

It also wasn't uncommon to see a guild waiting to pop something help with a kill on a god with kills and the like.

I miss that community and hope, even if XIV doesn't see nuisances like player-collision and hours-long window camping, it still sees a community as decent.

Though I was on Kujata and we had the hell that was Demo. 'nuff said.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

If anything, the latest patch has made it worse...