Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recently Got a New PC but not a new Video Card... So....

bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

I recently upgraded my whole PC rig.  I got a really sweet setup.  The only part I haven't replaced yet is my video card as I couldn't afford it.  I'm using an old one from my girlfriend's computer, a GeForce 8600 gs.  Will this be good enough to play DC Universe online?  THey list the min card required as a GeForce 7800  GTX+ but I know that doesn't necessarily mean my card is better just because it has a higher number in the 8 series.  I know it can handle most of my older games already but I wasn't sure.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Also, what would you recommend for the next card when I do buy a new one down the road.  I'm pretty poor that's why I have to, unfortunately, get the parts when I can get 'em haha.

Comments

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

If i remember, the GTX would be faster than the 8600.....GTX are the better, faster models.....GS's are the budget models.  That doesnt mean you wont be able to play the game....you probably wont be able to play maxed out....but you should still be able to enjoy it....just not to its fullest.  Cant really recommend a card for the future, without knowing what your willing to spend.  I usually shoot for around the $400 mark on a card...but thats just me.  I consider myself a decent comp builder...but will never buy top of the line because they get replaced so fast....at least I replace parts every 2 years or so, so I always look to the future, not the now.  I have a 5870...and I know its good enough to play just about everything maxed for the next year at least.  Give a price reference and I could help make a good decision....other than that, check out NewEgg or MicroCenter and sort the cards by your price range....ppl have really honest reviews on Newegg, your bound to find a game in the range your in being mentioned. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

What else did you get in your computer, and what's your budget for a video card?  Most games should run at low settings on a GeForce 8600 GS, but a lot of people would want higher settings than that.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Budget is around I guess up to $400.  I have a quad core amd processor and 4 gigs of Ram. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by bleed0range

Budget is around I guess up to $400.  I have a quad core amd processor and 4 gigs of Ram. 

And what else?  The motherboard, case, monitor (resolution), and especially power supply are important here.  There's also the issue that you might be processor bound in some games on a Phenom X4 or Athlon II X4 with a relatively low clock speed.  A Phenom II X4 Black Edition won't have that issue for a couple years at least, so you'll be able to take advantage of more video card power.

If you're looking to get a video card for up to $400, then the best options are a Radeon HD 6970 or a GeForce GTX 570.  There's also a decent case to be made for saving some money and getting a Radeon HD 6950 or GeForce GTX 560 Ti instead, on the basis that 80% of the performance for 2/3 of the price can be a nice deal.  Something like this is a good value for the money, for example, if you've got suitable other parts in your system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102921

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I definitely recommend the 6950 2gb models. Relatively cheap at 239 if you find the right sale and they also are relatively long lasting products. I suspect I'll be using mine for another 2 years like my 4870. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The 6950 is a good deal, in either the 1 or 2G version.

However, if your willing to overclock and flash the BIOS, it becomes a ~great~ deal, as many of the 2G versions can flash a 6970 BIOS (either full clocks, or just shader unlock), and then you've got ~$370 video card for ~$250, and if it doesn't work, you still have a really nice ~$250 video card.