Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*sigh* why do I keep coming back?

andrew24pandrew24p Member Posts: 70

I have been playing Mortal Online on and off since it's release mostly because I have hope that someday this will be the game they promised, but sadly i doubt that day will ever come. The truth is, Mortal Online isn't so different from the game it was a year ago. I cant help but think SV is sitting back and laughing at me everytime I make my subscription payment.I Just cant fathom why people defend this game on the forums, when it is in the state it is, which is for the most part unplayable.Maybe im just a glutton for punishment, or maybe somewhere deep down inside me I really believe they could make a decent game, but the piece of crap they are peddling right now just doesnt cut it.Personally im done, im tired of paying for a game that can't keep sever stability for even an hour.

I want to tell you this so you dont end up making the same mistake of paying for this game like I did.Usually I just pass over posts like this because they are usually troll posts but honestly theres a free trial , try the game for yourself I think anyone with an IQ over 15 can see this game is a bad investment of your time and care.

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

It could also be that you are like me and wonder why you go back to any game.   Do you play anything else consistantly?  I keep going back to DF, MO, Eve. . .and those are the games I can stand.  I am going to be trying Xsyon out. . I like it so far. . but for how long is the questions.  MO has problems for sure but until they add something else for you to do you are likely just done with it.

My guess is that people (if they stick through the download and first 2 hours) will really find MO refreshing for the first few days etc.  It is a month of so in when they start to play with more mechanics etc that they might find it dull.  But that is coming from someone who hasn't spent more than 3 months in one game since DAoC.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

because there is nothing like it, and everything else is boring as hell :).

sure it's buggy, sure the server stability sucks, sure it's full of greefing morons, sure it pisses you off more then any other game out there, but the few times that it does work properly it's just......epic.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Masochist?

• andrew24pandrew24p Member Posts: 70

Ill agree that at time It can be very epic and the potential is endless I just think that Star Vault is ruining this game, should a better company with actually trained programmers take over the game it could potentially be very sucessful. But unless Sv goes bankrupt(which is quite a possibility seeing their stock sell outs/ dropping rates) it just wont happen.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Just a note, SV aren't necessarily being malicious and sitting laughing at you.  I mean, they might be, but far more likely is that they're just not quite good enough to pull off making an MMORPG.

Many people really underestimate how difficult these things are.  As an amateur I've read up a lot about this in various places.  It turns out that MMORPGs are the pinnacle of videogame making, the most difficult thing you can do with videogames.  It's enormously difficult to get the money together to make them (it takes a huge team, that has to be paid) and test them (proper QA is a huge drain on resources) and to maintain them (GMs cost money, and every silly customer complaint has to be treated with kid gloves and the proper procedure). And the design of the gameplay and the art design are just epic processes.

And then on top of that, the network side of the game engine is so difficult to do, you literally have to have a few coding geniuses on the team to do it at all.

Etc.

So yeah, if you look at it objectively, SV have created a wonderful looking environment, character models, lore, etc. - they've done a HUGE amount of work on the game, and it's not crappy at all by any means. 

It's all very, very good, in absolute terms, but just (or so it seems - I'm d/ling the trial as I speak so will be able to give an informed opinon later) ... not good enough.

Again, if I'd say anything (just based on what I've gleaned from trawling through websites where developers hang out), it looks like they understimated the difficulties on the networking side.

Honestly, if I had money out my ears, I would subscribe just to support them because they do have a great concept, and the lore and world they've created look great and atmospheric, might be a nice place to "live".  But if the game's as flakey as people say, I likely won't subscribe after the trial.

Although, you never know image image

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@ OP: I think your second post answered your question.

"I'll agree that at time It can be very epic and the potential is endless"

If another company does the same type game and does it better you'll stop coming back. At the moment, all the games that are similar (EVE, Darkfall,Perpetuum, and Earthrise) are different enough that the appeal is not quite the same.

P.S. I left off Xsyon only cause it hasn't launched yet, not as any intended slight,

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

If anybody else feels like trying out the game, but find the downloader to be horribly slow, I've uploaded the files (including the patch) on Demonoid and isohunt: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/276327669/mortal+online?tab=summary

The torrent is still fresh, so please, for the love of God, seed at least a little bit.

Eleanor Rigby.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

It could also be that you are like me and wonder why you go back to any game.   Do you play anything else consistantly?  I keep going back to DF, MO, Eve. . .and those are the games I can stand.  I am going to be trying Xsyon out. . I like it so far. . but for how long is the questions.  MO has problems for sure but until they add something else for you to do you are likely just done with it.

My guess is that people (if they stick through the download and first 2 hours) will really find MO refreshing for the first few days etc.  It is a month of so in when they start to play with more mechanics etc that they might find it dull.  But that is coming from someone who hasn't spent more than 3 months in one game since DAoC.

I love you, MVP.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by osmunda

If another company does the same type game and does it better you'll stop coming back. At the moment, all the games that are similar (EVE, Darkfall,Perpetuum, and Earthrise) are different enough that the appeal is not quite the same.

P.S. I left off Xsyon only cause it hasn't launched yet, not as any intended slight,

The guy who wrote the mixed Mortal Online review has just posted a preview for Xsyon which was amazingly positive:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/514/feature/5013/Xsyon-Earth-2012-Prelude-A-Brave-New-World.html

Now I have learned my lesson from the whole Mortal Online catastrophe and have no plans to order it currently  but I will actually keep an eye on this one!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by osmunda

This is exactly the reason I play MO.  There really isn't anything out there that provides the type of play that it does.

Of course, we could wait for a "major" developer to do a fantasy sandbox - but we'd be waiting a very long time (ArcheAge is about the closest thing in terms of money spent).  And, a major developer still isn't any guarantee (see AoC, WAR, FFXIV, DCUO, CO, STO, Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, etc.) that it'd be a great game.

I've got nothing against themepark games (I've played and enjoyed several), but I'm personally very tired of that same old thing, and have always been a bit more of a sandbox player.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.