Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

31 New Shards Opening For RIFT Launch Day!

2»

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Rift server populations are tiny so I'm not surprised they are adding so many. I would think they will have to add even more at some point.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I understand some people didn't preorder, but that does seem like a lot of new servers.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Well here we go again. Add a million servers only to merge then in a couple months. I know it s hard not to add them, but it s the nature of the beast atm. MMOs are to shallow these days, people flock to anything released because they re so bored of their previous game. Nothing different here.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Soki123

Well here we go again. Add a million servers only to merge then in a couple months. I know it s hard not to add them, but it s the nature of the beast atm. MMOs are to shallow these days, people flock to anything released because they re so bored of their previous game. Nothing different here.

NA has 39.  Servers were added as needed during the head start.  They did not add a million servers (there is a thread about hyperbole around, no?).  They are adding 19 servers in NA for the launch.  They are not adding a million servers (there is a thread about hyperbole around, no?).  They will also add servers as needed after the launch.

While many things are subjective, the vague statement that there is nothing different going on here is obviously incorrect based on the way that Trion has been handling it...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer

NA has 39.  Servers were added as needed during the head start.  They did not add a million servers (there is a thread about hyperbole around, no?).  They are adding 19 servers in NA for the launch.  They are not adding a million servers (there is a thread about hyperbole around, no?).  They will also add servers as needed after the launch.

While many things are subjective, the vague statement that there is nothing different going on here is obviously incorrect based on the way that Trion has been handling it...

Ok, first of no kidding it s not a million servers. It was a way of saying too many. Second it s inevitable, that alot of the servers will become ghostowns in time, because they will not retain every person ( I know a few that aren t as is). Third it s what happens to every new shiny game for the last I would say 5 years. People are bored with their previous game and move to the next. Rift is a decent game to play in between other games coming out.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

...snip...

Ok, first of no kidding it s not a million servers. It was a way of saying too many.  (subjective hyperbole) Second it s inevitable, that alot of the servers will become ghostowns in time, because they will not retain every person (unproven hypothesis) ( I know a few that aren t as is) (no servers named though). Third it s what happens to every new shiny game for the last I would say 5 years.  (bug ridden, failure to deliver on hyped promises, horrible communication between players and devs, being launched too early despite blatant flaws during late beta events, etc, etc, etc - oh yeah, not here) People are bored with their previous game and move to the next.  (stereotyping) Rift is a decent game to play in between other games coming out. (subjective opinion)

Just saying... opinion is fine, disinformation is another - trying to pass opinion off as fact is disinformation.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

...snip...

Ok, first of no kidding it s not a million servers. It was a way of saying too many.  (subjective hyperbole) Second it s inevitable, that alot of the servers will become ghostowns in time, because they will not retain every person (unproven hypothesis) ( I know a few that aren t as is) (no servers named though). Third it s what happens to every new shiny game for the last I would say 5 years.  (bug ridden, failure to deliver on hyped promises, horrible communication between players and devs, being launched too early despite blatant flaws during late beta events, etc, etc, etc - oh yeah, not here) People are bored with their previous game and move to the next. 

(stereotyping) Rift is a decent game to play in between other games coming out. (subjective opinion)

Just saying... opinion is fine, disinformation is another - trying to pass opinion off as fact is disinformation.

Ok i ll tell you what. In 3 months we can talk, if the servers are all packed i ll be proven wrong. I m willing to bet I won t be wrong, but i ll admit it, if someone has proof.

• RiftFanRiftFan Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Ender4

Rift server populations are tiny so I'm not surprised they are adding so many. I would think they will have to add even more at some point.

Concurrent populations are like 2.5k or more per server. That is not tiny unless you use Eve

as your standard. For any other MMO outside of Eve that is huge and comparable to WoW.

Actual capacity is 5-7k(guess), but concurrent is 2.5k. There is a difference between the

two terms. Rift is different then War for a simple reason. I need a total of 15 people to

play Rift.

Highest number of people you need for any one task in this game is 20. This is what has made

WoW work and it is a simple formula. Aion required huge numbers to maintain large raids and

the economy. War was RvR and required large populations too.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

That's an impressive amount and i hope for everyone involved and the genre in general that they can keep it up and don't follow Warhammer.

And before someone comes up with "lolz but WOW has x time more servers blaaa" -WoW has totaly dead servers for years in both US and EU and tons of servers which with a alliance-horde ratio beyond laughable are just as good as dead.

Just because Blizzard refuses to merge at all cost doesn't make their server list look any better to me. At least other companies have had the decency to merge servers instead of letting the customer pay to transfer out of ghost towns forsaken by their own company.

There is absolutely no way that concurrent population is 2500 right now.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by VoIgore

That's an impressive amount and i hope for everyone involved and the genre in general that they can keep it up and don't follow Warhammer.

And before someone comes up with "lolz but WOW has x time more servers blaaa" -WoW has totaly dead servers for years in both US and EU and tons of servers which with a alliance-horde ratio beyond laughable are just as good as dead.

Just because Blizzard refuses to merge at all cost doesn't make their server list look any better to me. At least other companies have had the decency to merge servers instead of letting the customer pay to transfer out of ghost towns forsaken by their own company.

Because everything is soloable and they have dungeon finder they don't need to merge any servers at all.  Dungeon finder was pretty much their saving grace for having to merge servers.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

You run into a damned if you do, and damned if you don't conundrum though.  If queue lines are too long, and remain that way for any great length of time, you risk driving away potential subscribers.  Considering the (relatively) low cost of server infrastructure these days, I'm pretty sure any company would rather risk potential mergers down the road, rather than driving off a (potential) long term sub because they simply got pissed off waiting too long.

Originally posted by Eliandal

You run into a damned if you do, and damned if you don't conundrum though.  If queue lines are too long, and remain that way for any great length of time, you risk driving away potential subscribers.  Considering the (relatively) low cost of server infrastructure these days, I'm pretty sure any company would rather risk potential mergers down the road, rather than driving off a (potential) long term sub because they simply got pissed off waiting too long.

I m agreeing with you entirely. I m just saying it s the nature of MMOs these days, and not to get too excited over adding so many servers. We ve seen this many times before, is all I m saying.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I would love to know how you know this?

As you know rifts and invasions are tied in with number of people in the zones. And looking at the one last night there must have been huge server populations. There was groups of 100+ people defending most invasion lines. And this is just 1 zone in the game!

I will now go back to my queuing :)

I still had to queue being 1000 people to get on after work yesterday, Over a 2hr wait.. only 300 today, and I got off half hour early lol.

Also, nobody but trion realy knows the populations limits, you see the word "next-gen" pop up, and its probably because its referring to the server technology its using. Its not applied elsewhere and works differently to other mmo's. So there is no way of estimating!

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/Trion-Rift-Opens-on-HP-Servers/ba-p/61333

I like this bit :

We’re potentially talking hundreds of thousands of characters online, at the same location and on the same servers at the same time. That’s what it will be like, playing Trion Worlds' Rift when it comes out this March.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Here we go again with those that are ignorant of the truth....do you have a link to support your claim? or are you just intentionally spouting nonsense to sound authoratative...

Question A Few Server Questions Answered

Hi, All!

I've seen a few questions floating around about the servers and I wanted to take a few minutes to get you some answers.

Can you make a characters from both factions on the same server?

Yes. There are no limits on this.

Is that the whole list of servers?

This is the Head Start list of servers. More servers of various types will be opened as needed. Watch for announcements here and on Twitter and Facebook as we open them.

Can each shard only hold 1500 players?

I keep seeing references to a dev saying that each sever would only hold 1500 people. The actual quote was from a very old IRC chat where one of our devs was talking about numbers for that current beta as the servers were opened. We do not release specific numbers about our servers. But we saw higher numbers with each beta and the same thing applies to release. The 1500 rumor is false.

Cindy Bowens

Community Lead

Rift

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

99 servers? Holy molly

i never thought this game would beat Aion in launch =O

Chars on both faction, is well bad decision.

Originally posted by Socman75

There is absolutely no way that concurrent population is 2500 right now.Here we go again with those that are ignorant of the truth....do you have a link to support your claim? or are you just intentionally spouting nonsense to sound authoratative...  
    A Few Server Questions Answered

Hi, All!

I've seen a few questions floating around about the servers and I wanted to take a few minutes to get you some answers.

This is the Head Start list of servers. More servers of various types will be opened as needed. Watch for announcements here and on Twitter and Facebook as we open them.

I keep seeing references to a dev saying that each sever would only hold 1500 people. The actual quote was from a very old IRC chat where one of our devs was talking about numbers for that current beta as the servers were opened. We do not release specific numbers about our servers. But we saw higher numbers with each beta and the same thing applies to release. The 1500 rumor is false.

Cindy Bowens
    Community Lead
    Rift

Yes I've seen that post but you are the one being ignorant. There is a theoretical max number of players on a server and then there is the realistic number of players allowed on a server when 90% of the population is still in the first 3 zones and those two numbers are very different. There is no way that right now servers are capped at 2500 concurrent users, maybe they will reach that number in a couple weeks when the population is spread out but right now that simply is not the case. The new servers are likely capped way under that which is why the queues were so bad when new servers first came out. The way the game is built means they have to throttle the populations until people spread out.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Socman75

Here we go again with those that are ignorant of the truth....do you have a link to support your claim? or are you just intentionally spouting nonsense to sound authoratative...

A Few Server Questions Answered

Hi, All!

Cindy Bowens

Community Lead

Rift

Yes I've seen that post but you are the one being ignorant. There is a theoretical max number of players on a server and then there is the realistic number of players allowed on a server when 90% of the population is still in the first 3 zones and those two numbers are very different. There is no way that right now servers are capped at 2500 concurrent users, maybe they will reach that number in a couple weeks when the population is spread out but right now that simply is not the case. The new servers are likely capped way under that which is why the queues were so bad when new servers first came out. The way the game is built means they have to throttle the populations until people spread out.

The theoretical max number is 5000 players on at one time with 20,000-30,000 players total for MMOs.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Professor78

Also, nobody but trion realy knows the populations limits, you see the word "next-gen" pop up, and its probably because its referring to the server technology its using. Its not applied elsewhere and works differently to other mmo's. So there is no way of estimating!

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/Trion-Rift-Opens-on-HP-Servers/ba-p/61333

There's often a very simple way of checking this, namely do a player count on a server that has FULL status, and you'll know what the population cap is at that time.

I don't know what tools and options Rift has to do a player count but in most MMORPG's, from EQ to LotrO to Aion, you can retrieve a concurrent player total (players logged in at the same time) by counting the players per class, race and/or level range, and adding them all together.

Takes me no more than 5-10 minutes in most MMO's, to do a concurrent player count for a server.

You only have to find someone that takes the time to do the count, or do it yourself.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

There's often a very simple way of checking this, namely do a player count on a server that has FULL status, and you'll know what the population cap is at that time.

I don't know what tools and options Rift has to do a player count but in most MMORPG's, from EQ to LotrO to Aion, you can retrieve a concurrent player total (players logged in at the same time) by counting the players per class, race and/or level range, and adding them all together.

Takes me no more than 5-10 minutes in most MMO's, to do a concurrent player count for a server.

You only have to find someone that takes the time to do the count, or do it yourself.

I have 6 mins left in queue (Hurahh!) I will see what options i can search by. I am guessing that doing it this way would have some inaccuracy in some form due to instanced dungeon players and warfronts. But lets see what I come up with.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Oh, cool. Let us know what you found, also if it's only the Guardian or Defiant numbers, or both together image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I have 6 mins left in queue (Hurahh!) I will see what options i can search by. I am guessing that doing it this way would have some inaccuracy in some form due to instanced dungeon players and warfronts. But lets see what I come up with.

Hmm, cant seem to do it, leaves out masses of players. I filtered by class and 2 level range in city, got a handfull of results only, and there were 5 people i counted within sight that should have shown up in the criteria but didnt.

Other have said that they cant find people on search lists that are standing infront of them.

First odd thing I found about the game!! Bug, or some choice trion made?