Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

Comments

• madroxymadroxy Member Posts: 53

I will buy Rift just because of your deep explanation and review of the game!

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

After reading all the negative reviews about the game (dull, unimaginative, etc.), I decided "screw that" and bought it anyway.

Admittedly, with WAR dead, I was desperately hoping for a new pvp game. I had Rift beta access, didn't bother playing, and as a result wasted $50 bucks.

To make it short, I find the game incredibly unfun. It is, in fact, the most boring game I have played in a long long time. Here's why:

• Quests: I am not big into lore, but I usually make an effort to read quests texts. Rift's quests on Defiant side are either A): gather X amount of parts to repair a mysterious machine for whatevever purpose; B) kill X mobs to prevent dangerous ritual; or C) kill/gather stuff to help NPC supply his village. At level 15, I gave up reading any of these. Oh, and there are not enough quests to get you to max level, which people currently complain in the official forums about. You'll either have to hunt rifts, do warfronts for hours, or grind mobs.

• Graphics:  I could tolerate WAR's graphics, which says a lot. Why people say this game looks amazing is beyond me. Even on ultra the world seems incredibly dull, with little detail to it. However, cities are the noteworthy exception. Aside from that, it was so bad, I actually felt excited when I saw a bunny hopping around. Obviously, the developers didn't waste time adding fluff like wildlife, flowers or shrubbery. Mountains with low poly textures, mobs that are absolutely hideous, way too much gray/brown/dark green - it's depressing.

• Combat: I only leveled a cleric up to 30. That being said, I found the skills lackluster and the animations (with the exception of some Warden heals) not worth mentioning. Most importantly, in order to kill mobs you end up pressing the same 3 buttons over and over. Very fun! To spice it up, you can get the ugliest fairy yet to be shown in a video game, to heal and dps with you! If I remember correctly the "pet" heals you for 20 pts every few seconds, while drawing aggro from mobs at the other end of the map. Almost everybody uses a pet for leveling, regardless of class. So you'll see 1000000000000 boars, undead knights, or fairies following players around. Why is that? Because the moment you attack one mob, you draw aggro from at least two others. It's your pet's job to tank them, unless it's a fairy. Then you'll just die.

• PvP: = The only reason I play online games. Well, in Rift there are warfronts, which will make Nordenwatch or Arathi Basin look like the apex of  entertaining game design. Again, I only made it to 30, but to my knowledge only 4 different warfronts  exist. Anyway, all can be summed up as either capture the flag or hold stupid relic for points. No worries, it gets old quickly. On the bright side, if you do enough warfronts, you can buy pvp gear, which is always a good thing for us non-raiders.

• That leaves world pvp. Well, during  head start everybody and their mom power-leveled, so I didn't experience much of that. I assume, it's going to be fine, as long as Rift can retain its subscriber base. Longevity, however, is questionable without rvr objectives.

• Rifts: Every 5-10 minutes a tentacle thing appears in the sky and spawns an army of mobs that will invade your quest hub. Your job is it then to dps them down, heal the unlucky players who are getting mowed over, and of course, die a lot. After the 10th rift, it became quite tedious.

• Soul System: Switching between specs out of combat is a nice idea. Still doesn't make the abilities you get for each spec  more interesting.

• Spawn Rates: Another fun timesink. Since there are so many players, by the time you want to kill your named mob, or gather whatever item you need, it will be gone. Then you can prepare yourself for 5 minutes of doing nothing while it respawns. Hopefully, you'll be quick enough to click it first or you'll have to wait again. Better frantically invite every player in the area to your group and hope if one clicks it, it will count for you too.

• Queues: Well, the servers with pvp guilds worth playing against have 1-4 hour queues, each and every time you try to log in. For some reason, people find the game so enjoyable they are willing to put up with that. More power to them.

Obviously, all the reasons why I am underwhelmed with Rift are subjective. But I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

I fully expect to be flamed for this <3

So you hated the quest system, the lore,  the skills/ animations, the graphics and the pvp which is exactly the same as every other mmos battlegrounds so much, but yet you made it to level 30....lol? How can people even be complaining about the lack of quests at max level when 99% of the players aren't even close to max level yet?

There are so many exaggerations here it boggles the mind, how are you even playing mmos in the first place when many of your points are about mechanics that can be found across the genre in general? You say the rifts are insanely problematic, how can the rifts even be a problem when many of the rifts are outside of the areas where quests items or mobs even are? the only time they can become a serious problem is during an invasion and its called an Invasion for a reason because the idea is to get everyone in the zone to participate. You can even track the invasion routes on the map so you can avoid them if you dont want to get involved.

The spawn rate part is just wrong since you can just click the icon above the players head to make a quick party with them instantly and go around killing any named mobs or mobs you need to finish the quest. I've only come across maybe one incident in my questing where a person turned off their public grouping option so you couldn't make a quick group with them.

why would you say "I fully expect to be flamed for this" at the bottom of the post if your intent was to give your opinion of the game? did you mean for this post to be a critique on the game or on the people that would play such a game?

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• KeltikKeltik Member UncommonPosts: 89

I'm enjoying headstart, lvling a warr with my daughter as a healing cleric. Never tried beta so maybe I'm not at the burn out stage yet.

Still think its a solid game, with a couple of interesting twists

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

Didn't read all the thread, just want to say the game is fun, and fun to play with friends.  I didn't buy the game expecting something new because THAT WASN'T WHAT THEY WERE DOING, jeeze people get it through your heads.  It was to create a quality world on things that already worked.

Game is enjoyable, quests are interesting, rifts are fun (sometimes annoying when enough people aren't around), dungeons so far are great, and I love the classes and soul mix.  

It is nothing revolutionary, but it wasn't meant to be, it was meant to be a quality game that works...which it does quite well.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I truly enjoy being told that because I critique your critique I'm flaming someone.  I wholely disagree.

I haven't made a single toon past level 15 yet.  I have 4 Guardians (Sunrest) and 4 Defiants (Harrow) I am whole heartedly enjoying the game.  I find myself repeated sucked into the Rift events, helping higher levels by providing heals and buffs (even at such a low level it is nice to know I can do SOMETHING).  I rolled a tank lastnight specifially because I found someone who was nice enough to walk me through the basics.

The quests are ok.  I think I prefer the Guardian's more "open" storyline but I enjoy the world and flavor of the Defiants far more.

Frankly, I'm taking my time because I'm engrossed by the game, constantly discovering new things.  Finding a quest at the bottom of a pond in the middle of no where is incredible.  Finding some random mobs/treasure FAR from the nearest city makes me want to explore EVERY bit of the land.

Maybe it's just me.

• I find it amusing that when confronted by a review that slants a little ... sometime a lot ... to the negative, the poster is accused of being a Blizz employee. When I come to those accusations I tend to skip over the rest of the post even if they have some great points in them. Its a credibility issue. The idea of a company trying to bad mouth another game by creating accounts or paying gamers to post in a negative way, is best left for those whose formal wardrobe includes a tinfoil hat. Which is worse? The dumbing down of games or the dumbing down of gamers?

Having said that, I do like to listen to people defend their game. At least those that are still riding on the reality train. Not all games are for everyone and someone else's turd might be another's diamond. A lot can be learned from different opinions both positive and negative. Just ... well ... keep on planet earth.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

I can't even count how many groups I've been in over the last few days.  Finally, an MMO feels "multiplayer" again.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Ok, so here we have a person who didn't bother to try out the open betas, which were almost impossible to NOT get into, mysteriously bought a brand new mmo sight unseen when he could have easily tried it for a few days for nothing, and even after dropping his hard earned dollars on it couldn't be arsed to play it for even a few minutes, by his post count wasn't the least bit interested in asking others what they thought of the game, then long after his chance to get his money back is up finds to his suprise he doesn't like his purchase. Hmmm

So after being a completely disinterested, and in my opinion foolish, consumer he is going to make the effort to come here, sign up and make a longwinded post on why he feels this game sucks? And worse, expect us to take him seriously? This guy is either dishonest, delusional, or a complete dunce.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

• Graphics:  I could tolerate WAR's graphics, which says a lot. Why people say this game looks amazing is beyond me. Even on ultra the world seems incredibly dull, with little detail to it. However, cities are the noteworthy exception. Aside from that, it was so bad, I actually felt excited when I saw a bunny hopping around. Obviously, the developers didn't waste time adding fluff like wildlife, flowers or shrubbery. Mountains with low poly textures, mobs that are absolutely hideous, way too much gray/brown/dark green - it's depressing

Didn't read further than this because it's so full of lies, it's sickening. The worldesign of Rift is one of it's strong points. Every corner is handcrafted, not two meadows are alike. It's the first MMO since vanilla wow that gave me a genuine sense of awe. The only game i see out there with better artdirectiin when it comes to wolddesign will be Guild Wars 2 probably but that's it.

Warhammer was a hideous, underperforming, unpolished  piece of turd in comparison and i liked that game.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Qazz

Originally posted by Daffid011

Why would blizzard send an employee here to post negative things about Rifts? 

It isn't like this site is filled with tons of people who play wow and might leave for rifts and blizzard is trembling at the massive amount of mmorpg.com players who might leave wow. 

Why would blizzard pay someone to post on the forums here when they could have just thrown some pocket change at the website and cockblocked trion from advertising. 

Beyond that I think the original poster is way over the top in their view of Rift.  It sounds like they want a pvp focused game and were a bit upset that they didn't find it in a pve focused game that has some pvp in it.  v0v

Blizzard did send "please come back" letters to unsubscribed accounts the exact day that RIFT head start opened.

I don't doubt that blizzard might be worried about Rift, but I highly doubt they are worried about losing people who frequent this website.  This isn't exact a haven for wow players to hang out. 

• TurdinatorTurdinator Member Posts: 210

After reading all the negative reviews about the game (dull, unimaginative, etc.), I decided "screw that" and bought it anyway.

Admittedly, with WAR dead, I was desperately hoping for a new pvp game. I had Rift beta access, didn't bother playing, and as a result wasted $50 bucks.

To make it short, I find the game incredibly unfun. It is, in fact, the most boring game I have played in a long long time. Here's why:

• Quests: I am not big into lore, but I usually make an effort to read quests texts. Rift's quests on Defiant side are either A): gather X amount of parts to repair a mysterious machine for whatevever purpose; B) kill X mobs to prevent dangerous ritual; or C) kill/gather stuff to help NPC supply his village. At level 15, I gave up reading any of these. Oh, and there are not enough quests to get you to max level, which people currently complain in the official forums about. You'll either have to hunt rifts, do warfronts for hours, or grind mobs.

• Graphics:  I could tolerate WAR's graphics, which says a lot. Why people say this game looks amazing is beyond me. Even on ultra the world seems incredibly dull, with little detail to it. However, cities are the noteworthy exception. Aside from that, it was so bad, I actually felt excited when I saw a bunny hopping around. Obviously, the developers didn't waste time adding fluff like wildlife, flowers or shrubbery. Mountains with low poly textures, mobs that are absolutely hideous, way too much gray/brown/dark green - it's depressing.

• Combat: I only leveled a cleric up to 30. That being said, I found the skills lackluster and the animations (with the exception of some Warden heals) not worth mentioning. Most importantly, in order to kill mobs you end up pressing the same 3 buttons over and over. Very fun! To spice it up, you can get the ugliest fairy yet to be shown in a video game, to heal and dps with you! If I remember correctly the "pet" heals you for 20 pts every few seconds, while drawing aggro from mobs at the other end of the map. Almost everybody uses a pet for leveling, regardless of class. So you'll see 1000000000000 boars, undead knights, or fairies following players around. Why is that? Because the moment you attack one mob, you draw aggro from at least two others. It's your pet's job to tank them, unless it's a fairy. Then you'll just die.

• PvP: = The only reason I play online games. Well, in Rift there are warfronts, which will make Nordenwatch or Arathi Basin look like the apex of  entertaining game design. Again, I only made it to 30, but to my knowledge only 4 different warfronts  exist. Anyway, all can be summed up as either capture the flag or hold stupid relic for points. No worries, it gets old quickly. On the bright side, if you do enough warfronts, you can buy pvp gear, which is always a good thing for us non-raiders.

• That leaves world pvp. Well, during  head start everybody and their mom power-leveled, so I didn't experience much of that. I assume, it's going to be fine, as long as Rift can retain its subscriber base. Longevity, however, is questionable without rvr objectives.

• Rifts: Every 5-10 minutes a tentacle thing appears in the sky and spawns an army of mobs that will invade your quest hub. Your job is it then to dps them down, heal the unlucky players who are getting mowed over, and of course, die a lot. After the 10th rift, it became quite tedious.

• Soul System: Switching between specs out of combat is a nice idea. Still doesn't make the abilities you get for each spec  more interesting.

• Spawn Rates: Another fun timesink. Since there are so many players, by the time you want to kill your named mob, or gather whatever item you need, it will be gone. Then you can prepare yourself for 5 minutes of doing nothing while it respawns. Hopefully, you'll be quick enough to click it first or you'll have to wait again. Better frantically invite every player in the area to your group and hope if one clicks it, it will count for you too.

• Queues: Well, the servers with pvp guilds worth playing against have 1-4 hour queues, each and every time you try to log in. For some reason, people find the game so enjoyable they are willing to put up with that. More power to them.

Obviously, all the reasons why I am underwhelmed with Rift are subjective. But I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

All I get out of that is "My bwest fwiends (that I've knows for 5 days)  left WoW and since I can't (because I have a crappy pc), I'm launching a cwusade to get them back so they can sit for hours at a time chatting wiff me in SW."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

• madroxymadroxy Member Posts: 53

The only thing I agree on is that some of the mobs look a bit ugly, other than that... I can't believe how a fantasy mmo lover could dislike this game.

• arnaki3000arnaki3000 Member UncommonPosts: 66

i am currently level 17 rogue and so far i am really enjoying rift. I had over a year to play any mmorpg so i wasnt on burn out or anything. I started on a brand new pvp server, and i experienced no queues at all.  I take my time when  leveling, reading quest texts and exploring the world. I have done over 20  rifts and invasions and they are really awesome. The first day a huge event happened where we had to close rifts and fight a big boss in the end, it was epic. (it was like raiding in wow but from level 10...)

I went from level 13 to 17 without doing a single pve quest, just by pvping, doing rifts and crafting stuff. So no quest train for me nothing that MUST be done or  "FORCED".

My only concern is that this game is really addictive for me, i really lose the sense of time while playing hehe

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

The worst part about this article is the title. You yourself purchased the game knowing that MMO's have had their hiccups. But to say that someone should read this and base their purchase off of a few overly exaggerated points is just complete ass. We are all entitled to our own opinions but i myself and many of my guild mates from wow, dc, FF ext. have been enjoying this game very much. We already have a few lvl 40+ in our guild I myself am reaching that point and found absolutely no lack in quests or things enjoyable to do. The graphics are polished maybe not the most beautiful but they are lush and pleasing. Rifts are meant  to give players a sense of urgency, and they are there to slap you in the face if nothing is done about them. So I’m not going to drag this out i just wanted to state that we are all allowed our own thoughts but sometimes you shouldn’t think that someone shouldn’t buy a game based on your opinion. So anyone who is reading this please don’t base your purchase off this article alone if at all. Go and try the game for yourself. If you are reluctant I’m sure Trion will eventually start a trial period. 

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

imageimageimage

Ugly? Suuuure...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I haven't read the quests either, but that's just me, normally don't pay much attention to lore.  Since I'm only level 17 I can't say you can't level to 50 on quests, but who said any MMORPG should be designed so you can reach max level only one way. Perhaps you should go out and do some PVP, or grind some mobs, (to get crafting mats) or fight in some Rifts, you know, play the full game, and not just one part of it.  I will agree the quests aren't that interesting, but I knew that going in.

Graphics are never a reason to play or not play a MMORPG so not an issue I can relate to.  Fire squirrels were pretty cool though.

I'm a cleric (Druid/Shaman/Warden specifically)  I didn't experience this aggro issue you speak of.  Normally its one pull, one mob, and when I do get hit by more than one between my pet's heals and my own I can hold my own.  And you're right, Fairy's don't tank, you run over and pull any aggo they get off of them.  (isn't hard)

Haven't done this yet, but I'll agree, BG PVP isn't something I really enjoy so I'll probably pass.

Not sure what you're talking about here.  Haven't seen anyone "powerleveling" (how do you do that btw?), I've been surrounded by people playing the game though.  I've only run into a few other enemy players so far, they've not killed me and I've gotten 4 kills so far. (helping others, I suck at PVP and would normally die solo)

I've died in Rifts a few times, healed a bunch of folks who are getting healed, and overall i sort of enjoy jumping in and killing for a bit.  When I tire of them I return to questing, crafting, or grinding, mixing it up for a bit.  Sort of fun to return to a quest hub and have to fight to take it back to turn in my quests.  If you're dying a lot, you're probably doing Rifts too far above your level.

I'll agree, abilities my character have are not remarkable, but I'm only level 17 and I am getting some nice ones know. (just got my first reactive, wish it would proc more often though)  I like the soul system overall.

It is true, sometimes the spawn rate is a bit low, (during this frantic time of onboarding) and like you mentioned you can solve this by inviting other players who run up. (who usually are good sports about it). 

Once or twice we had to wait 5 minutes  (no more) and you know what I did?  I started talking to them.  I realize it took some of them back a bit, but I think there should be 5 minute downtimes more often so players have to talk to each other. It can be fun sometimes, give it a try.

Agree, how do you know where the "best" pvp guilds are playing?  What determines the best?  Regardless, be patient, the crowds will die down and eventually you'll be able to roll on one of those servers if you really want to.

Understandable why Rift might not excite you (not sure it really excites me), but you easily could have done just the slightest amount of research to find out what sort of MMORPG Rift was. I sure did and can't really complain if it doesn't live up to my every expectation.  I joined knowing what it is (and is not) and am trying to play it for the fun that I can find.

I hope you don't consider this a flame, I was just offering counterpoints which I realize are based more on my differing opinions (and experiences) than yours.

And rather than call  you a Blizzard employee (which I don't believe you are) I will say, welcome to the forums, where PVP is definitely something you'll get to experience here.

Let's see how well you handle yourself. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I love people who just buy a game with no research at all and not even trying the open beta then complain about wasting money.  Unlike WAR and Mythic, Trion was very upfront with what this game was going to be and it would have been REALLY easy to find out that this game was not going to be for you.   It is your failure because you did not bother to do ANY research at all from what you posted. 

Next time:

Try Free open beta

Google is your friend

utube has things called in game video's

podcast

Developers chats

Blogs

Some of the options you have for the next time or  I can save you some money just send me $30 and I will summarize all this before you buy your next game.   Think of the money you could save........

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by Tardcore

Ok, so here we have a person who didn't bother to try out the open betas, which were almost impossible to NOT get into, mysteriously bought a brand new mmo sight unseen when he could have easily tried it for a few days for nothing, and even after dropping his hard earned dollars on it couldn't be arsed to play it for even a few minutes, by his post count wasn't the least bit interested in asking others what they thought of the game, then long after his chance to get his money back is up finds to his suprise he doesn't like his purchase. Hmmm

So after being a completely disinterested, and in my opinion foolish, consumer he is going to make the effort to come here, sign up and make a longwinded post on why he feels this game sucks? And worse, expect us to take him seriously? This guy is either dishonest, delusional, or a complete dunce.

Oh, like the guy is new here, it's an old hand with a QQ account.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

• Graphics:  I could tolerate WAR's graphics, which says a lot. Why people say this game looks amazing is beyond me. Even on ultra the world seems incredibly dull, with little detail to it. However, cities are the noteworthy exception. Aside from that, it was so bad, I actually felt excited when I saw a bunny hopping around. Obviously, the developers didn't waste time adding fluff like wildlife, flowers or shrubbery. Mountains with low poly textures, mobs that are absolutely hideous, way too much gray/brown/dark green - it's depressing

Didn't read further than this because it's so full of lies, it's sickening. The worldesign of Rift is one of it's strong points. Every corner is handcrafted, not two meadows are alike. It's the first MMO since vanilla wow that gave me a genuine sense of awe. The only game i see out there with better artdirectiin when it comes to wolddesign will be Guild Wars 2 probably but that's it.

Warhammer was a hideous, underperforming, unpolished  piece of turd in comparison and i liked that game.

I agree about Rift and one of it's strong suites being the gfx, however weren't you "awe'd" the first time you saw Rivendell (LotrO) on ultra settings?  IMO, Rivendell and Lothlorien can stand toe to toe with any MMO out right now, but I do agree Rift has some good gfx too!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Irishoak

Originally posted by Tardcore

Oh, like the guy is new here, it's an old hand with a QQ account.

Well for me that fits under my choice of dishonest. I guess I should have added "sockpuppet" to that list.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Shadin

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I played Rift since the very first beta with a VIP pass, I can agree with everything the OP has said. I tried to warn those of you who were not already biased beyond belief. Rift is a good concept horribly executed, and its clear its run by marketing minded people, not actual designers that know what they are doing in my opinion. Rift defines the word generic. Within 3 months it will lose a large portion of its player base...

Just to clarify, since I wonder... You base your opinion of a game on the First beta?

I disagree fully that the game is horribly executed.. It's very well executed actually.. You just have to  take it for what it is..  I don't believe I've read a post where anyone have said the the game is the dawning of a new age in MMO industry or that the game is innovative in every way.

The game takes what's out there and works on it, tweaks it, to more or less perfection (in my opinion). If someone is looking for something new rather than the old MMO-formula then one probably won't like Rift, even though the soulsystem and rifts are quite new and fresh - at least to me.

But to say it's horribly executed is a "tad" exagerated..

As for warning people after the first beta... You can't find many good games then can you? Considering what state games usually are in when it comes to the first beta-phases.

Your reading comprehension needs some work. Saying I played SINCE the first beta doesnt mean I am basing my opinion OFF the first beta. I thought that was pretty clear. I think you are just spinning it around and assuming to fit your means to counter argue.  It was after a few 20's in both factions, far into the beta process that I concluded the game was no good and was not going to get better. I was right as the beta opened up more and more. Quests from the get go were some of the worst I have seen in any game, they didnt change. Crafting? A complete rip off of WoWs and it didnt even do it better than WoW. Zone and level design were bad. Rifts are gimmicks, predictable and lack any quality scripting. They are not even randomly placed, only random in their spawn times. All invasions follow set way points. Each zone is horribly over populated by mobs that will agro easily. This is done intentionally to make the zone feel bigger than it really is by slowing down any progress the player can make. Its linear, way too linear, and most of all ...boring. 

Nothing in Rift stood out after playing all the Betas. I really didnt even look forward to playing the game because it was so generic and boring. PvP was a joke. 

There were numerous other issues I had with the game, but most importantly I went in looking forward to Rift. I was a fan after seeing it at E3, but unfortunately the actual product didnt even come close to matching the marketing they pumped out. 

Either way, Its not exaggerated. I think fans that keep defending this game are exaggerating it, not the other way around. 

Thats my take on it, and if you wish to dissagree, go ahead and shoot. I am not going to get into it anymore since that time has long since passed. People will find out the hard way with Rift. Its fated to be a small niche game with a dwindling audience and honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Trion is forced to go f2p within a year. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Its fated to be a small niche game with a dwindling audience and honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Trion is forced to go f2p within a year. 

While your opinion is your own, doomsayings like these are just silly. You might as well say that all MMORPG's besides WoW are fated to be small niche games with a dwindling audience.

If you didn't like it and have been disappointed by it, doesn't mean that others will: a lot of MMO gamers had the same expectations as you had, they played the same beta as you did, but in contrast to you they were enthusiastic enough to buy it and enjoy playing it.

While I have my doubts about the longevity of Rift's content, there's no denying that Rift has a better and more polished launch than most of the other MMORPG's the last couple of years.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

Spawn rate is incredibly fast. All the rest is personal judgement.

Eaglix

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Spawn Rates: Another fun timesink. Since there are so many players, by the time you want to kill your named mob, or gather whatever item you need, it will be gone. Then you can prepare yourself for 5 minutes of doing nothing while it respawns. Hopefully, you'll be quick enough to click it first or you'll have to wait again. Better frantically invite every player in the area to your group and hope if one clicks it, it will count for you too.

Um... If you lend a hand in defeating a mob, you get credit for the kill as well.  It's comments like these that lend me to believe you've actually never played the game and just put together crap from what other naysayers have posted.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Opinion is one thing - blatant disinformation is another.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%