Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back again :(

Dragonking60Dragonking60 Member Posts: 145

Some I'm trying to enjoy and am for the most part loving Rift. Its freaking amazing but the LAG is just too much for me, can someone recommend something similar without a monthly fee

Please do not bring up LOTRO, Champions Online or DDO, thanks :)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, Rifts servers have problems handeling too many players in the same area. Check back in a week or 2 before deciding to cansel altogether.

Here are a few other games worth trying with no monthly fees:

Guildwars: Great game by old Blizzard devs. Never seen lag in it except when my ISP had a hickup for a week.

Runes of magic: The best Asian F2P game. dual classing, rather simple but worth a try.

EQ2X: The F2P version of EQ2. Worth a look at least, even if it works better as P2P game. Many races and loads of content.

Anarchy online: Old classic, F2P as long as you play without the expansions.

DaoC: Same as AO.

You should be able to find something between those games, GW will cost you a box to start playing but you can find one in a sale bin at your local store and it have a free trial.

• Dragonking60Dragonking60 Member Posts: 145

I've tried Runes of Magic and Everquest 2. Everquest 2 feels too old to be honest. Runes of Magic is nice but I don't why it just doesn't feel all that great. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

some other f2p with a similar twist are:

gates of andaron online and Allods online (both are similar to Runes of magic -> therefore similar to WoW, rift, war, maybe lotro)

Allods is more fun than Gates of andaron due to the variety  of archetypes (classes) and races and overall content and story  and more polished graphics. Both f2p. 

as of today Allods is claimed to be the most expensive F2P mmorpg ever made (over US$10 million budget)  i dunno about that but it has good quality for a F2P

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Pirates of the Burning Sea is f2p now.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Dragonking60

I've tried Runes of Magic and Everquest 2. Everquest 2 feels too old to be honest. Runes of Magic is nice but I don't why it just doesn't feel all that great. 

i started feeling the same about Runes of Magic because of the lack of an enemy faction (horde vs ally, defiant vs guardian, chaos vs order, dendera vs milgaard vs listhmos, and the 5 faction based mmo Aika as well) that gives the game more sense at PvP than just go around and kill random ppl that arent consider enemy (lore-wise)... 

edit: another aspect of the game that made me stop it is that i like to roll pvp servers and in RoM you are forced to spend lots of money on cash shop in order to secure your gears (an item that avoid your item to be dropped / lootable upon death (1 item per piece of gear = lots of money) because if you dont buy  them, gankers will kill you and loot your epic gears (even if they are bound to you)

Originally posted by CactusJack

Pirates of the Burning Sea is f2p now.

not my type of game, read the post please.

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by rojo6934

i started feeling the same about Runes of Magic because of the lack of an enemy faction (horde vs ally, defiant vs guardian, chaos vs order, dendera vs milgaard vs listhmos, and the 5 faction based mmo Aika as well) that gives the game more sense at PvP than just go around and kill random ppl that arent consider enemy (lore-wise)... 

edit: another aspect of the game that made me stop it is that i like to roll pvp servers and in RoM you are forced to spend lots of money on cash shop in order to secure your gears (an item that avoid your item to be dropped / lootable upon death (1 item per piece of gear = lots of money) because if you dont buy  them, gankers will kill you and loot your epic gears (even if they are bound to you)

Yeah, i had the same issues you had for PvP in RoM. If you want to try that game, do so in PvE as you wont have to deal with excessive ganking and the prospect of losing instance gear worth $50+ when you get disconnected while running a dungeon and ported out in full gear unprotected. Oh and RoM in general requires the Cash shop for end-game content. Good luck getting past 55 without it.

Not having played Rift (yet), what type of features specifically are you looking for? As there are lots of games targeting specific niches, and you're going to be hardpressed finding a game with everything you want.

Originally posted by FntSize72LOL

Originally posted by rojo6934

Yeah, i had the same issues you had for PvP in RoM. If you want to try that game, do so in PvE as you wont have to deal with excessive ganking and the prospect of losing instance gear worth $50+ when you get disconnected while running a dungeon and ported out in full gear unprotected. Oh and RoM in general requires the Cash shop for end-game content. Good luck getting past 55 without it.

Not having played Rift (yet), what type of features specifically are you looking for? As there are lots of games targeting specific niches, and you're going to be hardpressed finding a game with everything you want.

3 things I would say that would make me pick one game over another

User Interface, I like a clean, customizable UI.

Decent Character Customization, I don't want to look like everyone else, but my character doesn't have to be completely unique.

Decent Questing and Looting-Yeah a lot of games give lots of loot, but the more better. I enjoy quest driven gameplay :)

• GrogerGroger Member Posts: 5

If your having problems in lag( latency ) i run my trusty cfosspeed it helps a lot in most games but im not sure on rift though or that did'nt work try to use the wow latency fix on youtube, they say it helps to lower the latency a bit in most games. Hope it helps!

Originally posted by Groger

If your having problems in lag( latency ) i run my trusty cfosspeed it helps a lot in most games but im not sure on rift though or that did'nt work try to use the wow latency fix on youtube, they say it helps to lower the latency a bit in most games. Hope it helps!

Unfortunately Rift isn't an option for it, thanks anyway though. As far as recommendations anything that doesn't use the Pando Media installer would be great since my computer apparently has problems with it.