Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too many disconnects

InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

Il ike the concept of this game, but last I played it I disconnected some 10 times on a saturday or sunday. Not all of them were server going down, just random losing connection, but I've had no problem being connected in other games so i doubt it's my connection.

In addition, there should be some ingame message board so people don't have to go out of the game (to the forum) to arrange meetings, trading, guild invites a.s.o.

pluss ofc bugs, slow combat, and other personal dislikes (that some might prefer, so I don't mention that).

I ended up unsubscribing again, now playing WoW and hope to see a good game some time in the future. Hopefully before I die (rl)...oh well.

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

We have identified a memory leak in our front end server for logins at the moment that forces the server to reboot often. We plan to patch this as soon as possible on monday.

We are also looking into updating our patcher solution to make it faster in general to download the client.

Source: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/59492-server-status-27-2-a.html#post1111274

The thing was that on Friday when we noticed the issue I explained in my "late" announcement" was a misunderstanding between me and a mod. I asked it to be posted without being clear I guess, after I noticed it wasn’t posted yet I did so asap.

We did not take a break during the weekend, we rarely do.

The thing is that we have a bought license for the network solution. some core part of that is not for us to touch nor develop in. We develop only game features.

The issue we have right now is a mem leak in the front end, which is in Epic Games hands only, we contacted them as soon as we got the log for it, and they said they would look at it when they get back to work. Not much for us to do there but being somewhat angry and trying to make our own solutions. Now we did get a code update from Epic games today, which we are deploying like we said we would asap. We can only hope they managed to fix the mem leak. It is as frustrating for us as for you when we cant do anything about it, but to wait for their response. What’s sad is that this mem leak was not here in our previous build. We are doing our best, working very hard each day to solve what we can, and I can only push Epic that much to get the updates we can, they have other deadlines and things to follow as well. It's the result of being an independent company with limited resources, and we are sorry for it and really tries to solve it on our own which is not always easy. We didnt get the memory leak untill Friday, we guessed it arrived along with another crash fix we got from Epic just the days before, which solved the crash but didnt clear the memory. We worked very hard during this weekend to try to reach Epic and get a solution, so its not the case that we simply left on friday and didnt care about the situation, pretty much the opposit. I do seem to need someone monitoring the forums a bit more as I thought it was under control when we discussed it on Friday, again sorry for that missunderstanding in the delayed announcement.

Thank you-

Source: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/59492-server-status-27-2-a.html#post1111274

Eleanor Rigby.

• Lazerus666Lazerus666 Member Posts: 59

"The thing was that on Friday when we noticed the issue I explained in my "late" announcement" was a misunderstanding between me and a mod. I asked it to be posted without being clear I guess, after I noticed it wasn’t posted yet I did so asap.

We did not take a break during the weekend, we rarely do.

The thing is that we have a bought license for the network solution. some core part of that is not for us to touch nor develop in. We develop only game features.

The issue we have right now is a mem leak in the front end, which is in Epic Games hands only, we contacted them as soon as we got the log for it, and they said they would look at it when they get back to work. Not much for us to do there but being somewhat angry and trying to make our own solutions. Now we did get a code update from Epic games today, which we are deploying like we said we would asap. We can only hope they managed to fix the mem leak. It is as frustrating for us as for you when we cant do anything about it, but to wait for their response. What’s sad is that this mem leak was not here in our previous build. We are doing our best, working very hard each day to solve what we can, and I can only push Epic that much to get the updates we can, they have other deadlines and things to follow as well. It's the result of being an independent company with limited resources, and we are sorry for it and really tries to solve it on our own which is not always easy. We didnt get the memory leak untill Friday, we guessed it arrived along with another crash fix we got from Epic just the days before, which solved the crash but didnt clear the memory. We worked very hard during this weekend to try to reach Epic and get a solution, so its not the case that we simply left on friday and didnt care about the situation, pretty much the opposit. I do seem to need someone monitoring the forums a bit more as I thought it was under control when we discussed it on Friday, again sorry for that missunderstanding in the delayed announcement.

Thank you-"

How many times is Henrik going to go to the "it was EPIC's fault not ours" well for an excuse???  I would of thought that well would of went dry already.

• InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

Well I sub/unsub a game based on what I see now, not what is promised or expected in the future, cause it might never happen. There are other games that have promised stuff for years and they are still not in. MO has now been out for a little less than a year, and though it's indie, at the end of the day you just want some fun from the mmo you're playing. So the reality is that they have to deliver to a certain degree, or below that it's crash and burn.

Might check it out later though, but if enough people think like me the game might be gasping for air the next time we look at it. But by all means good luck.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Wow, blaming EPIC again

Didn't see that one coming...

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I think, though, that SV have one thing in their favour - even if things quieten down a bit, even if they have to take it offline for a while, if they ever DO get it stable, people WILL come back to it.  There's a fair minority of people gagging for a game like this.

From my smidgin of experience so far, it does seem to be a pretty immersive niche game when it's working properly.  Even just chopping wood there at night, I kept stopping every now and then to look around, just to check people weren't sneaking up on me.  I kept eyeing two other woodcutters suspiciously - and nothing's actually happened to me yet! image

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I played off and on all day yesterday and I was disconnected about 5 times.  Was pretty annoying, but what is funny that I kept logging back in, so I guess I was enjoying myself. 

As far as the game, it is rough no doubt, but I can see why people have somewhat enjoyed the game.  I did get stuck underwater at one point trying to swim accross a shallow river and died.  Unfortunately I could not retrieve my loot as every time I went to that area, I drowned again.  Was pretty frustrating but I didn't lose too much.  I have not been following the game really, I followed it at release, then forgot about it, so now trying it for the first time has been pretty fun.  Pop seems low, but I do see a few people around the towns, mostly new players, but I see some older players as well.  Combat is pretty fun, but I have not engaged in pvp, just some random NPCs.  At one point, after drowning the third time, I gave up trying to get my loot and decided to rest and get my hp back in the middle of nowhere.  I was completely naked as well lol.  So I rest, go afk for maybe 15 minutes, and when I come back there is another naked guy sitting down next to me...way out in the middle of nowhere.  He was just sitting there, probably afk too as he didn't respond, but it was funny to see two naked dudes sitting out in the middle of the wilderness.

That post by the lead dev is worrisome, I don't agree that he should blame whatever coding problems on Epic games, he should really take responsibility himself.  It's a pretty bonehead move to release a trial package with the server in crap shape, then take off the whole weekend.  It was pretty obvious that the game/login server had a memory leak, unfortunate that they took the weekend off with the server in that state.