Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Money Money Advertisement

PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Is it just me... or is that add the biggest copyright infringement you've ever seen.

Stealing monopolys trademark character and ... using donald trump, thats great stuff.

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Ehhh? What are you talking...

Oh. Darn you Ad-Blocker Plus, you prevent me from knowing what this thread is talking about!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

It is funny I have to say. Made me almost laugh as much as when I first saw the ads for "World Of Lordcraft". Think they may have bitten off more than they can chew by using big Don's image like that. He is not one to miss a trick. They should have gone with Lord Alan Sugar (British equivelant). He has far less resources to ban hammer them with;)

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by Comnitus

Ehhh? What are you talking...

Oh. Darn you Ad-Blocker Plus, you prevent me from knowing what this thread is talking about!

its an ad for a game on MMORPG.com's site and its pretty blatantly abusing copyright laws...unless of course Donalds started endorsing mmos...and I doubt that.

**Edit and before someone comes in, its most likely Trademark infringement not copyright infringement.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

omg you don't use Add block.

what is wrong with you, are you ok image

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by bastionix

Wouldn't this website and any other that relies mostly on ad revenue simply go backrupt if everyone uses AdBlock? (or at least be forced into adding a premium account services or stuff like that)

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by EricDanie

Wouldn't this website and any other that relies mostly on ad revenue simply go backrupt if everyone uses AdBlock? (or at least be forced into adding a premium account services or stuff like that)

Good question. My guess would be no, I don't think a forum like this can be very expensive.

Using heavy moderation is a personal choice.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Suckers who don't know about it don't have to use it. I.e., suckers who use Internet Explorer (hehe, see what I did there with the i.e.? Initials for Internet Explorer!). Which is 90% of the Internet.

Also, there were World of Lordcraft ads? Why has that blatant lore-ripper not been shut down yet, haha. It's an embarassment.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Yes, they would. I wouldn't say brankrupt, because I know those full page ads are not cheap and you can't block those, because they are built into the site.

I'm sure they would still end up adding premium accounts though. Servers and forums are not cheap. Especially, since they seem to use a custom modifcation of PHPBB3, which is extremely hard on the servers, instead of a more proven and much better designed vBulletin.... like everyone else in the civilized world.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

That ad revenue comes from click-through and I am never going to click on any of the ads regardless.  Therefore, what difference does it make if I see the ads or not?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Cephus404

That ad revenue comes from click-through and I am never going to click on any of the ads regardless.  Therefore, what difference does it make if I see the ads or not?

CPM

Cost Per 1000 Impressions

Not all Ads are CPC. Infact, I believe that most aren't. CPC is an extremely costly way to display ads, where CPM usually has more clicks per penny. 

I do believe that you still register as an impression though, Adblock just keeps you from seeing it. 

Personally, I hate using Adblock and I actually enjoy seeing ads alot of the time. However, there are so many out there that are just obtrusive and annoying, that I'm forced to use it.