Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question about class choices

blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

ok, so i've been playing around with a chanter, SM and an Assasssin and I'm trying to figure out which to focus on.

Of the 3 listed, are there any major pros/cons regarding each as far as soloing and grouping?  I like to solo about half the time but I don't want to be rotting LFG for ages when I log in and want to get some abyss groups or instances done.  I'm not a dedicated healer or tank player btw so pls don't suggest cleric or templar :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

Comments

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

Chanters are always wanted in groups because of their buffs, and can solo good. They bascially are support / dps / off heals, and can main heal at least thru fire temple instance (low-mid 30's) if the tank is competent.  I got owned repeatedly in pvp as one, but then again i suck at pvp.  Ranged classes tore me apart.  I was often told by legion mates that they got much better in pvp at cap, but i only made it to the low 40's. I liked playing chanter the most.

Spirit Master is super fun and handy in groups because of their dots and dispel.  Easy to solo elites with some practice.  Also the various fears and the silence stigma sm's get makes them killer in pvp.  I got one to 38 and mostly held my own in pvp, batting around .500 (good for me lol).

Never played a sin but they always outdamaged everyone else in the groups i was in, often times making the tank work real hard to keep aggro. 

edit: this is all my personal experience/ opinion, I am no expert so take it with a grain of salt^^

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Chanter is a good choice for solo and group. They have amazing buffs, they can damaged pretty well and they can heal in a pinch. Cons: chanters are mana hogs so keep pots available, you will be asked to heal at some point which is tougher than with a cleric, also staffs are on of the most expensive weapons on the game.

SM is also a solo class. You have different pets for all situations, fear, dots, dispel (stigma) and some health regain. If played right you use way less mana than a sorc. Con: Pets glitch sometimes, little burst damage, cloth armor, and some people will want a sorc over you due to CC.

Assassin is (in my opinion) the worst for soloing. I say that cause you need lots of materials and pots to keep yourself alive.  That said if all goes well you can end most enemies in 3-4 well placed attacks. You have a boost speed run, if you stack a little eva earlier on you survive better, and groups love your DPS, and hide is awesome. Cons: There are a million sins, duel wielding is expensive, your hp pool is low, stacking crit is expensive, and your very gear dependant.

This is my opinion.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Go Spirit Master if you like to piss everyone off in pvp lol.

I'm cleric and everytime I see SM I groan. XD Shit is OP man.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

thanks for the feedback guys n gals.

I lost interest in the Assassin pretty quickly after his ascention, wicked damage but I felt like I was a wet paper bag with how fast he took dmg soloing.

The Chanter's nice, will probably be by backup alt, but something about it's not quite giving me that right choice feeling.

Gone with the SM, looking forward to seeing how that goes in the Abyss.  liking it for pve sofar.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by blackthornn

thanks for the feedback guys n gals.

I lost interest in the Assassin pretty quickly after his ascention, wicked damage but I felt like I was a wet paper bag with how fast he took dmg soloing.

The Chanter's nice, will probably be by backup alt, but something about it's not quite giving me that right choice feeling.

Gone with the SM, looking forward to seeing how that goes in the Abyss.  liking it for pve sofar.

Yea sin are excellent dmg with the damage trade off. At level 19 is were you start shining. If you stack some eva and have some pots your survival is mush better. Also get a ranged weapon for pulling.

Chanters lack that wow factor for most people the first play thru then you realized how useful they are later. I think you made a good choice with SM just be ready to kite your butt off~!