Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape - Why F2P Magic is Broken.

Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

I have been playing Runescape for 10 years, the entire time F2P AND PROUD. I've made every conceivable type of character and a few of my own experimental builds. Having said that, Runescape magic is limited by a major factor, cost. Leveling magic is ridiculously easy, you can get it to 59 in a couple days, levels don't matter. If you have money to throw around in that game, you have it made in every gameplay aspect, regardless of player skill.

Frankly put, magic is fueled by money. But the problem isn't money.

The problem is rooted in basic supply and demand, caused by Jagex's own GREED.

The only runes a f2p character can craft are the elemental runes which can just be substituted by elemental staves. Elemental runes are insanely cheap and easy to get on the GE. Combat runes, needed by every single mage spell, can only be crafted by Members. There are way more F2P players than members, plus somebody paying monthly isn't going to waste much time runecrafting (or bot), they would rather see all the cool member's stuff than the same 3 places over and over.

In short. Combat runes are in too low of a supply to support the player population, this has always been the case and it is why there is a shortage of mages (and coincidentally rangers) and a huge surplus of melee pures. This has been the natural order of things for the last 10 years with no attention from Jagex.

Unless you can afford it, or afford to support it, or unless you don't feel like supporting that expensive habit, you cannot practice magic in Runescape. Period.

p.s. Rangers have it easy, at least for pve.

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Young whipper snapper the first time I got 59 magic there was no such thing as runecrafting.  The only rune drops were from monsters or up to mind runes in shops.   We also didn't have this thing called autocast....  Every click for every spell.   (just messing with ya, you said you played during this time).

Magic was Sooo rare that people would constantly ask me WTF every time I teleported into a town.   Magic was also so rare that PvPers blatently did not account for a teleporter in their mindset,  Much less the old form of magic where you did meelee and magic at the SAME time(but the leveling system was so broken that you still sucked unless you maxxed out your spell completely).

-___

Everyone has it easy except for mages, I loved that fact to an extent.   Also it's typically more effective by the time you can craft chaos runes or similar to just still craft air runes or do just about anything else and buy the high level runes.    Probably even better off smithing iron bars, at least you get a skill that has a lot of quest requirements up a bit.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Magic is broken? More like the entire combat system.........

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

LOL

I guess you just believe Jagex when see "large free to play game" on start page.
    Trust me, it not. =D

f2p works ok for you until you rich lvl 80+, then it became pointless and boring.

Myself I was f2p as max as possible, till lvl 110, but after I got 3 choices: male new char & re grind all again, leave game or became member.

Well I payed sub & my RS was changed in 1 click: world became large, full of things to do, very various (it still long skill grind but RS done to be played for ages, like 3 to 5 years of sub to get all done, so it part of the game).

About magic: correct me if I'm wrong, but apart of PK nobody use combat magic (or very few for some specific mobs), all lvl magic with high alch, superheat, teleports or mini games.

TBH for noob pure f2p mage, mind spells are sufficient, although I would better get pure ranger or melee.
    About cost to lvl, now you have air rune only weak spell (was nothing such in old RS), air staves now dropped by all starter mobs & starter quest in Lumbridge dungeon provides you with staff similar to air.
    So I did my own experience & got lvl 25 in few hours by killing caged demon at wizard tower with this weak air spell, costed me 100% nothing to get lvl.
    Backwards you needed mind runes to cast the 1st spell in your book & it costed way more money.

So it not broken but repaired to me =D

Off top: OMG, how you can do same limited & boring grind for 10 years!?

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2