Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressive FFXI changes... {now more soloable}

2»

Comments

• OphiuchuOphiuchu Member Posts: 8

Coming from someone who has played this game from near launch I can tell you simply that these changes are all good. The old grouping style of leveling in it's first purest form where people spent hours waiting for a decent camp spot sucked hardcore. I can't tell you how many times it's depressing to finally form a group and then find all camping spots are taken so you have to settle for waiting or a really bad spot. This ontop of before level sync trying to make a perfect group searching for hours was horrible. So anyone who talks about "good old times" is pretty foolish.

Then with the evolution of groups into doing "burn" parties made class descrimination even worse. Combine that with mostly everybody being at the "end game" content already having most jobs at max  you were pretty much left in the dust without help. With the whole changes to Signet too it also promoted smaller party playing which was the first step of all this if you think about it. All for the better since the old style of leveling was the most grueling task ever!

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Ophiuchu

Coming from someone who has played this game from near launch I can tell you simply that these changes are all good. The old grouping style of leveling in it's first purest form where people spent hours waiting for a decent camp spot sucked hardcore. I can't tell you how many times it's depressing to finally form a group and then find all camping spots are taken so you have to settle for waiting or a really bad spot. This ontop of before level sync trying to make a perfect group searching for hours was horrible. So anyone who talks about "good old times" is pretty foolish.

Then with the evolution of groups into doing "burn" parties made class descrimination even worse. Combine that with mostly everybody being at the "end game" content already having most jobs at max  you were pretty much left in the dust without help. With the whole changes to Signet too it also promoted smaller party playing which was the first step of all this if you think about it. All for the better since the old style of leveling was the most grueling task ever!

Coming from someone who has played this game since launch i do have to disagree to a certain degree.

Sure there were times u had it hard to find a good group or a good spot but if u had a good LS or just enough friends it really wasn't a prob at all i lvled almost all jobs in statics with friends every weekday after work for a couple hrs we  all did choose jobs which would make up for a good pt and just had fun and lvled.

I do agree that lvl sync could have been a really nice tool but not the way it was done....i believe that it would have been better to add penalty's to exp if u sync down too much. Ppls who just would want to help someone to fill there pt or wanna lvl with a specific person wouldn't/shouldn't mind the exp penalty while ppls just trying to get a pt still could have been happy.

This way u might not have had to deal with a lvl 75 (or higher now) who has skills from a lvl 50 since he never went to all the proper camps.

Regarding the Burn pts i would have to fully agree with u tho.

In the end it really only comes down to personal taste i liked the old ways better it just did a batter job of forming a good community (in my opinion)

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

I have tried to come back this game few times.. and quit every time.. I realize why I quit the most reason is graphic.  It just kills my eye.  Its really good game contempt but the graphic.. just unbearable.  IF there was better FFXI graphic engine, same system ideas, contempt, I would defintely come back.  There is couple minor reason but its not the main issue.

Also, I played FF14, its not even close to FF11.  Graphic is great but it requires allot of solo time at first due to crafting.  FF14 is very quest repetetive(leves).  That made me quit FF14 on 2nd week because I realize this game is all about leves to level up crafting, skills and takes allot of your time.  Full time job will NEVER have time to do anything else beside leves. No thanks.

Kain_Dale

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by Kain_Dale

I have tried to come back this game few times.. and quit every time.. I realize why I quit the most reason is graphic.  It just kills my eye.  Its really good game contempt but the graphic.. just unbearable.  IF there was better FFXI graphic engine, same system ideas, contempt, I would defintely come back.  There is couple minor reason but its not the main issue.

Also, I played FF14, its not even close to FF11.  Graphic is great but it requires allot of solo time at first due to crafting.  FF14 is very quest repetetive(leves).  That made me quit FF14 on 2nd week because I realize this game is all about leves to level up crafting, skills and takes allot of your time.  Full time job will NEVER have time to do anything else beside leves. No thanks.

You know ive been a little too harsh with this game. Final Fantasy was my first true MMO experience. Ive played Everquest on ps2 but never reallly progressed as much as i did with 11. As far as graphics i would have to disagree. 11 is based on 9 year old engine but the graphics are still amazing. I found that out when i got my first LCD Tv and saw how detailed the game really is.

I guess my real bitch has to lay in the communiy and how hard the game was. I didnt like how hard the game was and how you had to spend hours looking for parties.  I had alot of bad experience with certain players in the commounity and thought they took this game to serious.  Lack of a North American presecnce ment that server was pretty ghostly.

Final Fantasy 11  has the deepest crafting system ive seen in any mmo game ive played.  Never have i seen another game that had its own virtual economy and how others relied on your crafting abilities. I dont see crafting as beeing a problem to quit playing 14.  It would be game mechanics and acessiblility that would make me quit.  11 is a good game to start with if you decide to get into MMOs.  If you like to craft then this game is for  you. I enjoyed this game  and come to hate it. Its was time for me to move on. Good luck playing  and Have fun.

Edgar F Greenwood

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by Kain_Dale

You obviously didn't tweak the graphics to the max settings. The game still looks good especially for a game that's almost 10 years old.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I'm very tempted to play.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• FlanteusFlanteus Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Flanteus

most ppl in game right now are happy with abyssea, some jobs where neglected in the past but no more, and anyone who think of the glories days of bullshit is only speaking with Nostalgia and nothing else...
    Wrong. 1000% wrong. If it's all the same to you, I know  what my impressions of FFXI were back then and I know what they are now. I do not need to "speak with nostalgia" to know what the game was like, the experiences I had, the awesome people I met and the great memories I've collected.
    I know that back then I couldn't wait to log in, and I hated having to log out.
    Every single good memory I have of FFXI comes from the period leading up to the release of WoTG. The best ones are the earliest. I still remember my first trip to Jeuno like it was yesterday. I still remember my first time venturing out into Tahrongi Canyon, scared of everything I saw 'cause I didn't know what would aggro and what wouldn't.
    I still remember staying up 'til 4AM to unlock my first Advanced job ever - Samurai, and the people who helped me do it.
    I still remember being in tears at the hilarity of watching a Beastmaster trying to show off while on the way from a party in Garlaige back to Jeuno, and seeing them bumble at every attempt. They barely made it back to Jeuno alive, with 3 goblin and a few mobs in pursuit..
    I remember finding my way back to Khazam from the "second jungle camp" for the first time - on foot - and making it to the zone line with 23 HP left, goblins in pursuit.
    I remember helping people finish up their rank missions, as well as being helped with my own. No one cared if we died and lost XP, because we knew we could easily get it back.
    I remember doing mission 2-1 Windurst for the first time, a player telling me they knew where to go and offering to show me the way, only to make a wrong turn and end up dying in a room full of T to VT goblins.
    I remember the hours-long XP parties, some of the great conversations that were had and some of the awesome people I met - some of whom I still talk to to this day, 7+ years later.
    And on and on...
    Those are not memories I'm seeing "with nostalgia", sir. All those events, and many more, are great things that I actually experienced and remember them exactly as they happened.
    So if it's all the same to you... keep your presumptions of what I or others "remember" or how we remember them to yourself.

you only remember the good things because the game was new and shiny to you, and still new and shiny to many other new players to this day, still its not what I actually meant, I meant the outdated game mechanic , the horrible implementation of many features, the abomination of the unbalanced jobs the game had and sill have, the community turned a blind eye on them and accepted them as they were (they didn't know any better..I pity them sometime), and ofc that's doesn't affect the new player in any way or shape until he experienced the game well enough to formalize an idea of how things should have worked better, this is the Nostalgia I meant, not the happy newby times you and I or any other new MMO player in history of MMOs ....these memories are untouched and may never come back :(

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by WSIMike

most ppl in game right now are happy with abyssea, some jobs where neglected in the past but no more, and anyone who think of the glories days of bullshit is only speaking with Nostalgia and nothing else...

Wrong. 1000% wrong. If it's all the same to you, I know  what my impressions of FFXI were back then and I know what they are now. I do not need to "speak with nostalgia" to know what the game was like, the experiences I had, the awesome people I met and the great memories I've collected.

I know that back then I couldn't wait to log in, and I hated having to log out.

Every single good memory I have of FFXI comes from the period leading up to the release of WoTG. The best ones are the earliest. I still remember my first trip to Jeuno like it was yesterday. I still remember my first time venturing out into Tahrongi Canyon, scared of everything I saw 'cause I didn't know what would aggro and what wouldn't.

I still remember staying up 'til 4AM to unlock my first Advanced job ever - Samurai, and the people who helped me do it.

I still remember being in tears at the hilarity of watching a Beastmaster trying to show off while on the way from a party in Garlaige back to Jeuno, and seeing them bumble at every attempt. They barely made it back to Jeuno alive, with 3 goblin and a few mobs in pursuit..

I remember finding my way back to Khazam from the "second jungle camp" for the first time - on foot - and making it to the zone line with 23 HP left, goblins in pursuit.

I remember helping people finish up their rank missions, as well as being helped with my own. No one cared if we died and lost XP, because we knew we could easily get it back.

I remember doing mission 2-1 Windurst for the first time, a player telling me they knew where to go and offering to show me the way, only to make a wrong turn and end up dying in a room full of T to VT goblins.

I remember the hours-long XP parties, some of the great conversations that were had and some of the awesome people I met - some of whom I still talk to to this day, 7+ years later.

And on and on...

Those are not memories I'm seeing "with nostalgia", sir. All those events, and many more, are great things that I actually experienced and remember them exactly as they happened.

So if it's all the same to you... keep your presumptions of what I or others "remember" or how we remember them to yourself.

you only remember the good things because the game was new and shiny to you, and still new and shiny to many other new players to this day, still its not what I actually meant, I meant the outdated game mechanic , the horrible implementation of many features, the abomination of the unbalanced jobs the game had and sill have, the community turned a blind eye on them and accepted them as they were (they didn't know any better..I pity them sometime), and ofc that's doesn't affect the new player in any way or shape until he experienced the game well enough to formalize an idea of how things should have worked better, this is the Nostalgia I meant, not the happy newby times you and I or any other new MMO player in history of MMOs ....these memories are untouched and may never come back :(

Good point, people new to the game wont know the difference wheras person who experienced the game and came back would and would end up leaving again. Im so sorry but abbessya is crap and will be crap. The level cap was  and is a joke. I think the majority of peeps who played this game will share your pain as i do too. The jobs were not balanced . I dont know how a puppet master automation could outnuke a high level blackmage. Or the dancer being a bullshit job. Im glad i walked away from this game when i did. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by raystantz

I'm very tempted to play.

FFXI is unlike any MMO I've played and I regret leaving it.

I left, regrettably, near the end of the stale content phase. A few months later, they announced things like 99 and abyssea and everything else. I thought 14 would be a success though so I still didn't come back.

WoW is stale. Rift is terrible and everything else is dying.

I might come back, though my beloved Kujata is dead.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• StandadeezyStandadeezy Member Posts: 23

Server: Quetzalcoatl

Name: Standadeezy (Rank 6 Windurst)

Linkshell: NewAgeAdventure

Details:

~ I am a recent, returning player that  has started a new social/fun linkshell.

~ Seeking 2-3 more (linksack) members to help manage / run the linkshell with me.

Looking for members:

~ who enjoy the game

~ wish to make new friends in an old environment

~ looking for linkshell parties

~ those who are new to the game

~ those with lots of experience who can help guide others

~ want to quest / mission as a linkshell

~ eventually run Abyssea as a linkshell

~ use xbox360 liveChat

You can contact me via:

~ reply to thread

~ in-game /tell Standadeezy