Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an mmo that looked like this?

2»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

How many people still play Ragnarok Online?

Think that would summarize this thread well. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by lilreap2k3

Originally posted by monstermmo

No i would not play it consistently, theres no reason to when there are so many better looking games that are just as fun and have more features.

What do you mean when you say more features? If you mean content, like I said the potential content for this game could be endless. Would 16 bit graphics keep you from enjoying a game that potentially has every single design aspect you are looking for in an rpg?

When you create it, let us know. Extremely dated graphics and 'potential' isn't a big seller. You're relying on the combination of an interest in outdated 2D graphics and a sucker with cash to throw away on hope, despite years of history providing concrete evidence that the majority of wishlist 'feature' lists are unrealistic pipedreams that are only revealed for what they are well after plenty of gullible people have parted with their money.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Well going back to the age old arguement that a great game does not have to have great graphics,take Rift as an example technically great,polished and stable,but aftr beta5 i just could not be bothered to try it.

I recently got a key for a closed F2P game which goes back to the old diablo fallout perspective no fancy graphics and loved it had more fun than 20 hours of Rift in 2 hours !!.Haveing had a Speccy many games of that era where far superior in gameplay than most of today's AAA stuff,Chaos had user defined graphics but is still is one of my all time favorite games.

So yeah if Xsyon,Haven and Earth possible Stellar dawn has meh graphics i don't give a monkeys or a rats ass as long as there is a sustainable interest to keep me occupied and immersed.

p>
  • RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I ordered Chrono Trigger for ds two days ago when amazon had its sale and I still play Final Fantasy 5 for time to time, so yes I wouldn't mind playing a mmo that looked like that.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

I voted no, but I'll give a brief explanation as to what was on my mind for feedback.

Many of us have played MMORPG's since Everquest on, with most of us having at least played since World of Warcraft on up. So in that light, pve challenges are splendid and necessary, but for a game's longevity with this crowd, pvp is going to be needed to maintain interest. Whether it's battlegrounds or something else, it's gotta be there for most of us.

2D graphics used for pvp isn't going to work for me. I doubt it will work for many of today's mmorpg players either.

World of Warcraft's game engine is dated since it's based off of its 2004 release, but it has staying power for a number of reasons. It plays well even on poor systems, character animations and response times are very swift, and it plays on an extremely wide range of graphic cards and drivers.

Another good example of a great game engine would be Asheron's Call 2 which was released in 2002. It's pretty close in strength to what Blizzard used and while dated with age, would work extremely well for someone's home brew game.

Reaching all the way back to 2D 16 bit graphics doesn't appear to be all that necessary. Good game engines lying around (Unreal Tournament UT 2003 and 2004, the Unreal  2.x engines) are just sitting around aching for being put to project use.

• TomWoodrowTomWoodrow Member Posts: 49

I voted no

join us on seastone (btw no cash shop to run your bank account dry)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?83070-Lotro-Players&s=d555bfc9e2f4d22851c5359cb80e5b27