Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PvP MMO to date?

HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127

Sup Sup, I currently play WoW... PvP lacks so much in WoW. I played eq2 for awhile still have a recent toon aswell.

I'm Looking for a game with PvP, with a Open world system that also has a decent communtiy. I'm in the military and I see there is alot of new games coming out and just came out.

Could someone give me a few top PvP MMO's that are along the line of Fantasy. Not like EVE.

Comments

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

If you want real meaningful pvp I suggest to try Darkfall out, its about the only pvp game worth playing, its full loot pvp, open world as well.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Apparently Guild Wars has some good PvP. Although its not open world like you want.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

EVE is simply the best in the genre, but if you aren't into spaceships I'd have to go with Darkfall.

• HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127

I have researched Darkfall, the Big problem I saw was the Grind. All ur skills had no cap, meaning afk bot all day and U were ahead of the game. Meaning if I just started and im at 1skill and people have been playing for years... with 1 million skill are going 1 hit me forever. unless they changed that.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

At the current time, Darkfall by a large margin. In the past you would be looking at something like DAoC and for less pvp centric but open world pvp non the less, UO.

That is ofc excluding the excellent EVE as per request.

Oh and ib4 the usual 'zomg teh grind' and 'griefzorz' posts.

EDIT: The skill system means you will be at a disadvantage in terms of 1v1 at the very least and there is no doubt it's not an easy game to break into. It really depends on what you want out of it in x amount of time. That said AV are chaging things up so it may well get 'easier' in time. But for all that, in terms of open pvp it is the best game on the market.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Dark Age of Camelot would be my answer 5 years ago. 

However, DAOC's population has reduced the game to one server. Unfortunately, there have been no mmorpg's released since DAOC which provide the same quality of open world pvp. Therefore, I'd still recommend DAOC. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I would say GW, but it's not classed as an MMO.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AljaxAljax Member Posts: 41

Well.. In my opinion that'd be Warhammer Online. At least when it comes to Fantasy genre MMO's. Sure the game is kind of bleh, but the RvR (PvP) is so fun. :)

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Murashu

EVE is simply the best in the genre, but if you aren't into spaceships I'd have to go with Darkfall.

Took the words out of my mouth. 

EVE is by far the best PVP in MMO gaming, but if you don't like spaceships and want only PVP then Darkfall. If you don't like Spaceships and want something to do besides PVP, then I'm not sure what else is out there. Xsyon, soon hopefully. 

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

I didn't try DAOC nor Darkfall, but they had good critics. EVE is the most developed. And Guild Wars had a nice combat system with 8 skills, however there are combinations of skills and classes that beat almost any other combination. And the clans are too L337 for me.

If you like sci-fi, try EVE, if you like fantasy, then you are fu....... errr... you have little options

I have tried Gw and wasnt really into control more then 1 person at a time MMO. I did play Doac awhile ago. Im not real picky but the graphics get to me. Seems tho the current MMO's out are so gear depended and on top of that the Gm's dont know how to even out the classes b/c its not a PvP MMO. Like WoW and WaR. To be honest Eq2's pvp system is bad ass, but the game is dying b/c its trying to copy WoW.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by Murashu

I'm back playing EVE. Good game-Darkfall was okay-Very open PvP world.  DAOC once upon a time was the best, however, that was over 5 years ago as was stated.

WoW? Still out there as a PvP game-I just can't get myself to go back there.

The only real PvP in WoW is Arena's which basicly is up to the gms... whos class / classes want to be OP this update. then they get those classes and make a team... and try to say they are got skill which is stupid. Then on top of that, its who can mash there mouse buttons better. The only game which u can key bind all u Moves to ur mouse and say u can play a mmo.

• stayghoststayghost Member Posts: 29

DAOC hands down, though it's a shell of it's former self at this point

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by HlDDENdragon

Sup Sup, I currently play WoW... PvP lacks so much in WoW. I played eq2 for awhile still have a recent toon aswell.

I'm Looking for a game with PvP, with a Open world system that also has a decent communtiy. I'm in the military and I see there is alot of new games coming out and just came out.

Could someone give me a few top PvP MMO's that are along the line of Fantasy. Not like EVE.

Oh dear Open PvP and community hillarious concept good luck. Even freinds will stab you in the back if they are allowed.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I have researched Darkfall, the Big problem I saw was the Grind. All ur skills had no cap, meaning afk bot all day and U were ahead of the game. Meaning if I just started and im at 1skill and people have been playing for years... with 1 million skill are going 1 hit me forever. unless they changed that.

MMOs are about persistance and longevity , Pick an End game Arena fest if you want a level playing field.

Wait a sec, I said open world system. and you say Open system? meaning that everyone is open game for PvP correct?

If so thats not what I ment, I ment where ever you are u are able to be engaged by enemy players, of course some zone none pvp.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Wait a sec, I said open world system. and you say Open system? meaning that everyone is open game for PvP correct?

If so thats not what I ment, I ment where ever you are u are able to be engaged by enemy players, of course some zone none pvp.

Er, factional open world pvp in a fantasy setting with a good community? Not asking for much are you?!! :p Your choices are as follows -

Play the endless trial of WAR (T1 is the most active part of the game anyway) until -

1. GW2 comes out with it's WvWvW.

2. You build a time machine to go back and play DAoC in it's hayday.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

No longer exists.  Shadowbane.

Next closest option would be EVE, which still exists.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Darkfall. But you gotta be really good in shooter/action fast paced (faster than Counter-Strike i'd say) gameplay. If you're good in it, grind won't be a problem. If not, then yeah, the better character the better and still possibly won't be enough...

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

playtocrush.com

welcome back shadowbane (soon) :). Best open pvp game ever made imo. 

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118
    New doesn't always mean better. Some have mentioned Dark Age of Camelot. I played just about every MMO ever produced from Shadowbane to Lineage to etc, etc. No game from a PVP standpoint compared to DAOC in any aspect. DAOC is now very old and dwindling in population for that fact alone *age*. The game is still the awesome game it's always been regardless of population. The PVP mechanics are phenomenal. If i could wish for another PVP MMO it would be DAOC 2. Other then that all i've seen come out in the past 4-5 years are WoW clonies which i loath as a waste of hard earned money.
  • knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

Welcome to the real world ...  There is none good pvp mmo , at least not in my eyes.

Ive played rift beta  didnt made me buy it , tryed dc univers which is focused on pvp its funy but nothing to focus on and most surly nothing to be payed for a sub . but still fun

Now im playinig Xsyon

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/514/Xsyon-Earth-2012-Prelude.html

Which is a really hard game a sandbox crafting and pvp game in apocalytic scenario ,Its so hard that i love it .

Its still in beta until 14th march and not all features are avaleble but from what i read its a interesting game and most surly worth bying for 40 bucks u get 2 months free and u dont have to pay for a month to get those 2 free like in other mmo

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The problem is "best pvp mmo to date" versus what is actually currently on the market.

Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot would be the two MMO's I'd list.   Tho I'd then have to add a disclaimer that both games are no longer close to what they were or should be.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

I am surprised that not one person has even mentioned Asheron's Call.

The graphics are old, but the game can still be a lot of fun even today.

It has an open world, and deep skill based PvP (tho not quite as skill based as Darkfall)

You can do a free trial of both Darkfall and Asheron's Call right now. If you do try AC tho, you're gonna have to have an open mind and play for a while before you give up just because the graphics aren't the best today. AC also has a very well established player base, and you'll probably feel at the bottom. Darktide is the server you want if you want open PvP.

Other then that, if you are looking for more action and less grinding then perhaps a game like Global Agenda is more what you are looking for? It has more of an FPS style PvP style however.

- Zaxx