Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop minus its GPU

AndyPrestonAndyPreston Member Posts: 63

My Rock Laptop has a 9800m GT gpu in it, which has since overheated and packed in. (its out of warranty as well). Will the laptop still work if I remove the offending unit, like other laptops without dedicated graphics, or is that rubbish and it wont work at all?

Im not currently at home to find out for myself, but Im curious and cant find an answer on the web by searching!

Thanks

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If you don't have a GPU in the system, then no data will get sent to the monitor to be displayed.  If a system has both integrated graphics and a dedicated card, then you can disable the dedicated card and run it off of integrated graphics.  You've got an older laptop that was before switchable graphics were common, so you probably don't have that, though.

There were a lot of laptops with Nvidia graphics from about that era that died because of defective packaging.  If you're inclined to make a fuss, you might be able to get a replacement, or at least some sort of compensation for being sold faulty hardware.  Read up on "bumpgate".

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

You might be able to salvage the hard drive and RAM, but the rest is probably trash. The GPU, in all likelyhood, is probably soldered on the motherboard, along with the CPU.

The "Bumpgate" GPU's where in the 8000 series (8400m and 8600m), if I recall.