Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'You cannot ever go home'?

2»

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by kuhronusu

i just logged in, played a bit with my necro...

The game is too old for me i guess. Dont know if i'll be excited about it if i playd it more... just kinda boring in the begining, i'm a necromancer killing stuff with my Dagger =P

I know i know... this is the way it is, maybe its just to old for me to bear. I waste more time ingame , maybe i'll be used to it.

The begining of EQ is kinda boring, but don't let that stop you. Once you get out into teh world and start grouping up for dungeons and camps the game really starts to take off.

Just take it slow and learn the ropes. Early levels you are pretty limited in skills and abilities, but once you get to your late teens you will start to experience the danger and heart-pounding 'omg i lived?!' moments.

Though for fun try playing a Bard. I did that for a few years myself... nothing more dangerous than trying to run with your group while twisting 4+ songs and trying to stay alive... And do it old school without macros... it helps keep the mind sharp trying to do counts in your head for song ticks so that you won't drop a song :P

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The game is too old for me i guess. Dont know if i'll be excited about it if i playd it more... just kinda boring in the begining, i'm a necromancer killing stuff with my Dagger =P

I know i know... this is the way it is, maybe its just to old for me to bear. I waste more time ingame , maybe i'll be used to it.

Your problem dosent seem to be it's age, but rather it's speed of play, which is especially slow at the start for many classes.

It can be a shock after coming from other ADHD designed MMOs that are all movement and flash'n'bang, but in the end, if you get used to it and adapt to it's pace, then the slower more tactical and socially based play pays off in spades for many once they have put their roots down and become invested in the world, community, and ofc their character.

Like I said, you need to forget how other games play and approach EQ as it's own thing. Learn MMOs from scratch again really. it really is that much of a shift in approach.

Anyhow if you end up being able to adapt or not, kudos to you for giving it a try. It's not for everyone, but you gave it a whirl :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by vesavius

Your problem dosent seem to be it's age, but rather it's speed of play, which is especially slow at the start for many classes.

It can be a shock after coming from other ADHD designed MMOs that are all movement and flash'n'bang, but in the end, if you get used to it and adapt to it's pace, then the slower more tactical and socially based play pays off in spades for many once they have put their roots down and become invested in the world, community, and ofc their character.

Like I said, you need to forget how other games play and approach EQ as it's own thing. Learn MMOs from scratch again really. it really is that much of a shift in approach.

Anyhow if you end up being able to adapt or not, kudos to you for giving it a try. It's not for everyone, but you gave it a whirl :)

i'll admit that I downloaded Everquest to try the progression server.

However I then tried one of the regular servers and I'm really enjoying myself. Still trying to get used to the movement.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Maybe i'll try a Melee class, melee might be less painful in the beggining, since my melee will be stronger, i wont need too many skills to kill stuff

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

yeah... i guess i can't stand the graphics =S

maybe this game appeals only for the old EQ players... i can't get anything from it.

i'll carry on hehe

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

yeah... i guess i can't stand the graphics =S

maybe this game appeals only for the old EQ players... i can't get anything from it.

i'll carry on hehe

Nah, we have a number of first timers in our guild who have gotten over the gfx issue (which as I said even stops being an issue for most after a few hours) and are thoroughly enjoying what the game offers, including my girlfriend. She started MMOs with Aion and has had no difficulty adapting, but then she looks at the game beneath first.

it's just your preference, but thats valid and fine, but it's a shame you are going to let older grpahics stop you looking deeper.

Enjoy your next game :)

• trnqlChaostrnqlChaos Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

As vesavius said, you have to be a bit forgiving on the graphics and remember that the game is more than 10 years old. The UI is horrible. There is no question about it, but if you really force yourself to learn it and explore the world, etc. soon you don't realize the graphics and soon your will realize the magic of EQ.

And honestly, even though the graphics are bad, you can still look pretty bad ass in armor, etc. :)

It's hard to say whether you will enjoy it or not, but it's worth trying for even 15$!

The graphics aren't THAT bad. SOE released a refresh of all the models, textures and animations with one of the expansions around 2005 or 2006... so technically, the graphics are about 5 years old.

It's nice to be back in EQ! Now to find a guild...