Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a newbie

naseefcnaseefc Member Posts: 2

Hi, I am planning on picking up guildwars trilogy + eye sometime this weekend probably. I was wondering what class I should play. I usually tend to play assassin/ranger type of class for solo play and a warrior/tank type of class for group play. However, I am also a perfectionist so I feel like I should not start as an assassin in this game since assassin was released in a later campaign and I will be missing out on the game if I start as that (I want to progress the game the way it was meant to - Prophecies > Nightfall etc etc). Am I wrong in this? Should I start as some other class to play prophecies and then switch? Or can I start as an assassin and not miss out on anything?

Also, any other beginner tips are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34

Judging from the information you provided i'd suggest you go warrior/ranger or ranger/warrior being as both are in the prophecies and you pretty much have to dual class anyway :)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

it is really hard to give a short answer as there are so many ways to build an assassin like character in GW.

Most of the more popular builds are here and there are 100s. http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

As far as which campaign to do, GW does very well to make the timeline and story flow no matter which campaing you do with the exception of doing EotN before Prophecies. There are some things I wont spoil that will seem out of place in EotN if you don't know the prohecies story.

Practically though, Prophecies has more free skills from missions so can be good for a new player without tons of gold. And you can only have an Assassin primary starting in Factions. But you can practically pick up the Prohecies story after the first 'chapter' if you will shortly after leaving the first island in Factions if you ignore your quests and just walk to Kaineng City.

Also, Heroes > Henchmen and you get many in EotN and Nightfall quickly, few in Prophecies and Factions iirc. It is kinda nice to get them early as you will find upgrades for them as you go.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I suggest you to check out the skills for each profession here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Skill_list

and then decide which primary profession is right for you. Secondary proffesion is not importat because as you play guild wars you will change it every now and then. (Once you unlock all seondary professions for 500gold each you can switch them in only 2 clicks for free and change your build as you like). So choose the profession you like and play its champaign. You can do all champaigns in any order.

When I first started playing guild wars, I was like you. I wanted to do champaigns in the right order (Proph>Fact>Night>Eotn), so I started as Elementalist. After I did all champaigns I decided I want to be an assassin, and then I did everything again with assassin. This might seem as a waste of time but its great to have a second character. For example - farming. Some solo farming you can't do with assassin but you can with Elementalist, so I use both characters.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Play the game in chronological order - Prophecies + Titan Quests + Sorrow's Furnace > Factions > Nightfall > Eye of the North

Your primary profession is very important. It's a bit more difficult to play as an assassin as the class requires good positioning as well as not playing as a warrior, aka all frontal attack. In GW mobs go after the weakest member in the party (in terms of health and/or armour). In melee range you will be their first choice :) The main thing to remember it is a hit and run away class.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I would suggest playing in chronological order too, BUT if you decide to roll an assassin just be weary that there is a reason they created the 'afflicted' that explode on death in Factions, far too many assassins didn't get the hint from that one :)

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by naseefc

Hi, I am planning on picking up guildwars trilogy + eye sometime this weekend probably. I was wondering what class I should play. I usually tend to play assassin/ranger type of class for solo play and a warrior/tank type of class for group play. However, I am also a perfectionist so I feel like I should not start as an assassin in this game since assassin was released in a later campaign and I will be missing out on the game if I start as that (I want to progress the game the way it was meant to - Prophecies > Nightfall etc etc). Am I wrong in this? Should I start as some other class to play prophecies and then switch? Or can I start as an assassin and not miss out on anything?

Also, any other beginner tips are welcome. Thanks.

Hello!

You see, the games are not expansions, just different stories, but i find Proph to me the most interesting story wise.

If you want a more free world, with rep farming, ranks, easy questing and hard end game, i would suggest Nightfall.

You cant play assassin there, but my first character ever was a Ranger+Paragon, used a beast to slay mobs while i used spear in a distance. Looks hell lot better than bows.

Okey, start proph, thats the basic. You dont have to be an assassin first, make something that has fast energy regenation like a necromancer, monk, mesmer or elementalist and then change the second profession to assassin.

Im not an expert, but my character made in proph is a Elementalist+Assassin, using spells to blow up the targets and poison cripple teleport to escape while damaging the openent, but you are looking for melee, maybe monk+assassin could work, for shaolin monk lols, deadly arts style cause you will miss the critical strikes from the real Assassin spec.

Theres no worries being a newb. This game is easy to learn well at least for me, and i became ready for guild/groups at level 10. Guild wars wikias and guild wars guru helped me alot understanding the classes.

Im not judging, but try doing a ranger+paragon in nightfall, you wanted ranger, i am sure you think throwing spears is much cooler and uniquer than using bows, and you want a more free world.

Yawn