Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - CryEngine2 MMORPG to rule the world?

Comments

• RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

We all do. Hope i mean.

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

The game does sound and look great.  I truly wish it well.

My concern has little to do with graphics, sandboxiness or even game play.

What I want to know is if the world and setting will really be interesting?  Even unique maybe?  Or will it just be a very pretty platform for wandering mobs?  Will I actually be able to explore?  Will it be more than a mob and gear grind?

Some examples of where I am coming from: 

In Aion, they show some cool elephant like creatures feeding in the river.  But could my toon touch one?  Ride one?  Even get his ass kicked by one?  No.  They were just pretty pictures.  If I want pretty pictures I can go to Deviant Art and it is free.

In Perfect World International they have some awesome 3-D terrain.   Even more cool, you can fly to the top of it.  But what happens when you get to that hill top or vista?  Nothing.  Nothings there.  No ancient ruins, no secret caves, no groups of bandits-- nothing.  If you are lucky, you might find randomly scattered wandering mobs with absolutely no purpose for being up there other than to be killed.  Yawn.

You want me to buy into the idea this game is next gen?  Than show me an interactive world that is inspiring. Give me a well conceived setting that isn't a replay of the fantasy drivel we have all seen over the last 30 years.  Give us a world in that the player feels like he really found or experienced something.  Give us the sense that we have impact, even if it  is merely discovering some minor, ancient evil sequestered in a cave somewhere.

I get the idea I am not the only player. it is an MMO after all.   And no, I don't want to be "The chosen one" as so many games have.  But darn it, I want to feel like an adventurer, not like some old lady in Las Vegas constantly feeding the grinding/raiding slot machine in the hopes I hit the epic jackpot.

Do the above I asked for and fuse it with your Cry2 engine; then I will be impressed.  Until then...well...we'll see... so many promises over the years.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Korhindi

The game does sound and look great. I truly wish it well.

What I want to know is if the world and setting will really be interesting? Even unique maybe? Or will it just be a very pretty platform for wandering mobs? Will I actually be able to explore? Will it be more than a mob and gear grind?

These are concerns that everyone who follows ArcheAge has.Noone can't answer you for sure,as you will get your answer only when you play and explore the game.Although, concerning the huge(~60$ million) budget,the abilities of CryEngine 2,the skilled and taleneted developing team and the huge world that ArcheAge will have,propably there's gonna be a rewarding exploring system.What we also have for granted is that players will be able to affect and drastically interract with the enviroment.Whatsoever,about the setting/lore you mentioned.Min-Hee Jeon is writting the lore and the setting behind ArcheAge,she is a very famous and talented fantasy author-so we better expect something good as far as lore/setting is concerned.

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

If you read my review, you would see that the game has a nice atmosphere, and  that the world is interactive.

So no worries about having a neat game world hehe.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by just2duh

Originally posted by Agoden

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.

Haha my first thoughts too, but you can also probably guarentee it will be full of the 'i'm the greatest' elitest asshole types because of the narrowed market and high requirements to opperate it.

I only say that because they tend to also have top of the line rigs just for the bragging rights in my experience.

Check the http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey more people have good PCs that can run good quality graphics than crap machines, over 50% of the surveyed machines have dual cores and run DX10 capable graphics cards.

Sure the Steam survey doesn't tell the complete story but its a good sample size and its drawn almost completely from gamers and reflects the kind of machines gamers are currently using.

If this new game is well optimized anybody with a dual core CPU and Nvidia 8000/ATI 3000 HD series or later GPU should be able to run a game like that. Its not even that expensive to build a machine better than that either.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Korhindi
    The game does sound and look great.  I truly wish it well.

What I want to know is if the world and setting will really be interesting?  Even unique maybe?  Or will it just be a very pretty platform for wandering mobs?  Will I actually be able to explore?  Will it be more than a mob and gear grind?

Some examples of where I am coming from: 
    In Aion, they show some cool elephant like creatures feeding in the river.  But could my toon touch one?  Ride one?  Even get his ass kicked by one?  No.  They were just pretty pictures.  If I want pretty pictures I can go to Deviant Art and it is free.

In Perfect World International they have some awesome 3-D terrain.   Even more cool, you can fly to the top of it.  But what happens when you get to that hill top or vista?  Nothing.  Nothings there.  No ancient ruins, no secret caves, no groups of bandits-- nothing.  If you are lucky, you might find randomly scattered wandering mobs with absolutely no purpose for being up there other than to be killed.  Yawn.

You want me to buy into the idea this game is next gen?  Than show me an interactive world that is inspiring. Give me a well conceived setting that isn't a replay of the fantasy drivel we have all seen over the last 30 years.  Give us a world in that the player feels like he really found or experienced something.  Give us the sense that we have impact, even if it  is merely discovering some minor, ancient evil sequestered in a cave somewhere.

I get the idea I am not the only player. it is an MMO after all.   And no, I don't want to be "The chosen one" as so many games have.  But darn it, I want to feel like an adventurer, not like some old lady in Las Vegas constantly feeding the grinding/raiding slot machine in the hopes I hit the epic jackpot.

Do the above I asked for and fuse it with your Cry2 engine; then I will be impressed.  Until then...well...we'll see... so many promises over the years.

This

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Joliust
    When will you ever learn that good graphics do not mean a good game. In fact they are a warning flag that the game may be shallow.
    Not always.
    Uncharted 2 anyone?

I meant in MMORPG's, there have been plenty of single player games with good graphics that were amazing games. Also I have never played Uncharted, or a console game since I had a dreamcast.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• heheyhehey Member Posts: 77

just look at how many possible classes there are...

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros/11

thats alot.

and these are all the videos out so far

http://archeagesource.com/topic/187-the-massive-video-collection/

"I will Turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

Originally posted by hehey

just look at how many possible classes there are...

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros/11

thats alot.

and these are all the videos out so far

http://archeagesource.com/topic/187-the-massive-video-collection/

Good. Only this is better - http://aaportal.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=84&lang=en

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Aganazer

Considering the price of a decent midrange PC these days, all I gotta say is that there are a lot of cheapskates around here. These same people that pay $50/mo for their internet can't afford $500 every 5 years to upgrade their CPU, mobo, RAM, and video card?

Much agreed here, been seeing that for some time around here. Its realitively inexpensive over the course of 5 years to upgrade to a midrange or save the money for one, I guess when drugs, booze, and console games are more important than your pc I guess a lot of people would have a shitty pc.

i upgrade my pc from time to time.

I have bought a i7 and 6gb ddr3 ram with a motherboard june 2010. I have bought a new power supply july 2010. I have bought a gtx560 overclocked at february 2011. 

And i feel fine. 

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by firefly2003

Originally posted by Aganazer

Considering the price of a decent midrange PC these days, all I gotta say is that there are a lot of cheapskates around here. These same people that pay $50/mo for their internet can't afford $500 every 5 years to upgrade their CPU, mobo, RAM, and video card?

Much agreed here, been seeing that for some time around here. Its realitively inexpensive over the course of 5 years to upgrade to a midrange or save the money for one, I guess when drugs, booze, and console games are more important than your pc I guess a lot of people would have a shitty pc.

Yep its fairly cheap to keep up with hardware requirements nowadays, all anyone needs to do is make some smart consumer choices and buy components as they come down in price after a new gen has hit the shelves and wait for sales and special offers and that sort of thing.

Game specs only really jump in the first 1-2 years of a new console coming out anyway so its not like you have to spend £500 every year or anything and its easy enough to plan a build and slowly UG each component over s period of time.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

I want better looking games *sniff*

My 5770 card has not tasted a DX11 ever, what's the point of these cards if they never see DX11 games

Radeon is not that powerfull on dx11 as geforce tho.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Can't judge a book by its cover, but environments certainly look pretty.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Hehe, then follow our community and watch the development.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Cant wait for the game to come.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Mannish

Cant wait for the game to come.

So do I, but I wouldn't hold my breath, we're talking Q2 or Q3 2012 for the NA/EU version image

actually q1-q2 :)

• VilanderVilander Member Posts: 20

This game looks epic. Could this be the one I've been looking for since EverQuest!

A new design of the index page :P http://www.aaportal.net - International ArcheAge Community

Feel free to ask your questions. By the way, we have got technical works going, so we do not have much content update, instead we focus in implementing new functions for our community - you can read more here.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I got a question for the OP. Why is he claiming that the game uses cryengine 2, when Crytek is showcasing the game with cryengine 3?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-cryengine-3/711210

Fast forward the video at the 2mins timer.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Manasu

Edit: And as far as graphics are concerned,CryEngine2 was used in Crysis too..I actually doubt that will cause major lag to players,and better be thanful for it,at last an "AAA" sandbox MMO with a real updated graphics machine!

Actually, MMOs use older/simpler engines because "massive" is a keyword there. I can't figure out how do they think about having 50-100-200 people doing stuff (casting spells, throwing grenades, using all kinds of effects) on an average 2-3 years old machine (the majority of MMO players don't really have up-to-date PCs) with CryEngine2.

EDIT: WTH is the thing with races divided into factions? i thought this game was supposed to be a sandbox O.o

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by ryuga81

Originally posted by Manasu

Edit: And as far as graphics are concerned,CryEngine2 was used in Crysis too..I actually doubt that will cause major lag to players,and better be thanful for it,at last an "AAA" sandbox MMO with a real updated graphics machine!

Actually, MMOs use older/simpler engines because "massive" is a keyword there. I can't figure out how do they think about having 50-100-200 people doing stuff (casting spells, throwing grenades, using all kinds of effects) on an average 2-3 years old machine (the majority of MMO players don't really have up-to-date PCs) with CryEngine2.

EDIT: WTH is the thing with races divided into factions? i thought this game was supposed to be a sandbox O.o

Sure there's gonna be a problem with people who are running an older machine to play AcheAge,as it happens in every high-budget MMO where they use an "updated" graphics machine.But seeing other examples of games that used CryEngine machine and also concerning this thread I think that the problem will not be major.

Originally posted by Xasapis

I got a question for the OP. Why is he claiming that the game uses cryengine 2, when Crytek is showcasing the game with cryengine 3?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-cryengine-3/711210

Fast forward the video at the 2mins timer.

Well, actually this is funny...Oficially they have announced CryEgnine2 to be the graphics machine that ArcheAge will use,although this video states that CryEngine3 will be used..eh...I guess a misconception.

P.S: Your name really made me laugh hard!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)