Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lil help on a psu new to this

papa4519papa4519 Member Posts: 33

hi i think my pc needs more power cuz it slows down on high loads on  games like lag spikes not all the time thro

my pc  sli x2 460 psu is a 650 cpu is q9300 4g ram 780i xfx mb

im looking at this for now low on cash

http://www.ramexperts.com/mushkin-mknps1200-a-power-supply-joule-1-2kw-psu.html

or this one 

http://www.amazon.com/XION-PowerReal-Supply-Complies-XON-1250P14HE/dp/B0034Z98DS/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1298666022&sr=8-39

can you guys let me know if its good for the money?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

An insufficient power supply doesn't cause frame rates to slow down.  It either causes programs to crash or hardware to die.  If the two GTX 460s are at the stock speeds (not a large factory overclock!) and the processor is also at stock speeds and it's a good quality 650 W power supply, then you should be fine.  What power supply is it?  Give the brand name and model, not just the nominal wattage.

Xion power supplies are junk.  I'm not familiar with Mushkin power supplies, though the specs on the one you link don't look promising.  If you've got overclocked video cards or a processor or want some headroom for future upgrades, then something like this will get the job done:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151100

Or if you want something seriously high end that there will never be any point in upgrading from, you could try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

If you're running everything at stock speeds but the problem is that your existing power supply isn't very good, then something like this will get the job done without being unduly expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Your power supply isn't the problem, as Quiz said.

Odds are it's either something overheating, your power profile being set incorrectly, or your hard drive (either not a good one, failing, or fragmented).

Disable SLI and re-run Furmark, see if you still shut down.

• papa4519papa4519 Member Posts: 33

ok i had it run for 15mins didnt turn off 

so you know what it is?

y it turns off in sli

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

hmm when your pc turns off can you restart it right away ? or do you have to wait awhile for it to cool down

?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

whan it turns off i can turn it back on fast

furmark ran for 35mins and it didnt turn off with sli off

with it on it turns off in 2mins

You're right:  you do need a new power supply.  The reason your power supply shuts down under FurMark is likely some sort of overcurrent protection.  The power supply detects that more power is being pulled from it than is safe (possibly just along one rail), so it turns off rather than risk exploding.

Your problem is not that a high quality 650 W power supply would be insufficient.  Rather, it is that what you have is not a high quality power supply, whether of 650 W or any other wattage.  Nor is it a 650 W power supply at all, as it is only rated at 504 W on the +12 V rail.  If that rating is honest, then maybe it's a 550 W power supply, if that.

Furthermore, even if it can actually deliver 504 W on the +12 V rails, which is far from obvious, actually pulling that much from it without running it out of spec would be hard to do.  It only has two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors.  That means you're having to use some adapters (likely 2xMolex -> 6-pin PCI-E), which means youre pulling more power from the Molex connectors than Apevia likely expected when allocating them along the +12 V rails.  That likely overloads whichever rail they're on, and that shuts down the power supply.

If the power connectors are arranged as CPU on one rail, motherboard on one rail, both 6-pin PCI-E on one rail, and all molex on one rail, it might be all right.  But if they're arranged any other way, then you're probably overloading whichever rail has the molex connectors.  I can't find how they're arranged.  Your motherboard manual might say.  Also, it is generally not possible to get a good quality 650 W power supply for $30 after rebate, or $35 if you include shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

(That's what you have, not what you should get.)

Knowing now what you have, my recommendations are the same as above.  If you worry that replacing one inadequate "650 W" power supply with another that is also 650 W won't be sufficient, then consider that what you have has four +12 V rails rated at 15 A, 13 A, 13 A, and 13 A, with 42 A total.  The one I linked above has four +12 V rails rated at 22 A, 25 A, 25 A, and 25 A, with 54 A total.  It also has four 6-pin PCI-E power connectors built in, and presumably distributed along the +12 V rails appropriately to the load, without needing adapters.

But if the "650 W" still makes you nervous, then you could get this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

Four +12 V rails, with 25 A on each.  56 A along all +12 V rails, as compared to 54 A for the one above.  Calling it "750 W" is a bit of a stretch, probably, as it's really only built to deliver about 30 W more than the 650 W power supply that I linked above.  It's lower quality, too, and the same price.  So I'd sooner get the Antec TruePower New 650 W.

Or, for a higher quailty 750 W power supply, you could get any of these, depending on how much fun you think rebates are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

Those are all high quality 750 W power supplies that will handle your system with no problems.

-----

Another potential issue, depending on how your video cards are spaced, is that one of them might be physically blocking the fan of the other.  If you get two video cards in CrossFire or SLI, it's often ideal to have them spaced three slots apart.  Your motherboard means they have to be spaced either two or four slots apart, and you're probably pretty much forced into a particular configuration unless you want to use an electrical PCI Express 2.0 x8 connection rather than x16.  Even once you have a better power supply, you should check to make sure your cards aren't overheating.  They're probably fine, as GeForce GTX 460s don't tend to run dangerously hot, but it's something you should be wary of with an SLI setup.

For what it's worth, under a reasonably heavy gaming load, you're probably pulling about 400 W from your power supply.  Under an artificial stress test (e.g., Prime95 + FurMark, not just FurMark), that might be 500-550 W or so.  I'd expect your current power supply to choke on the latter, but a high quality 650 W power supply could handle it just fine, and could do a 400 W load for long periods of time without incident.  A high quality 550 W power supply would probably work just fine, too, but that would really be cutting it way too close.

yh my wife had a simial problem and it was the psu would be oky till she played some games they gave it a workout n and eventually the problem got so bad just too many programs running at once it  would shut off.

was the shitty stock "ace" psu that was in it lol, i got another shitty 25$  used psu n its working fine  xD

i would second quiz's suggestion to go with the" antec ea750" i have one on my i5 running 2x5770ati cards !

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Asm0deus

i would second quiz's suggestion to go with the" antec ea750" i have one on my i5 running 2x5770ati cards !

Except that I mentioned the EarthWatts power supply, but didn't recommend it.  My real recommendation is the Antec TruePower New 650 W.

-----

If the problem is that one bad power supply died, then replacing it by another bad power supply isn't the best idea.  Sometimes power supplies can take other hardware with them when they die.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Asm0deus

Except that I mentioned the EarthWatts power supply, but didn't recommend it.  My real recommendation is the Antec TruePower New 650 W.

-----

If the problem is that one bad power supply died, then replacing it by another bad power supply isn't the best idea.  Sometimes power supplies can take other hardware with them when they die.

ahh well the ea750 will do just fine its quality enough

and yh i dont suggest a shitty power supply just mentioned i replaced a shitty one with a shitty one  but that was becuase the wife old pc is an old p4 monoprocesor so im not willing to put money into it . sometimes it worth dishin out 25 to see if itll fix a prob before runin out to put 1600$ into a new rig

ok guys im going to get this one just cuz this is the site i my items form 

looks like the same one quiz said 

its a Antec Truepower  Blue 750w

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc2MQ==

is this one ok?

getting it for $90

i didnt pay much for my rig in all it was $500 

with this part it be $600

got the cards on sale for $250 for both

If you can find that for $90, then go ahead.  It's the same as the Antec TruePower New 750 W that I linked, except that it also has a blue light in the fan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RTPMM4/ref=ox_ya_os_product

$90 free shiping

thx for the help was lost there for 2 days 

and getting mad you helped alot

what you think at a 2600k i7

what to try some OC 

Nice deal on the power supply.  Go for it.

A Core i7 2600K is a very nice processor.  The problem is you'll need a different motherboard for it, and hence a different processor socket.  And the real problem there is that all such motherboards have been recalled, because the chipsets are defective.  They should be back in April or so.

For gaming purposes, a Core i5 2500K is basically equivalent to the 2600K, but about $100 cheaper.  Unless you run programs that scale well to many cores, or need one of the peculiar features that Intel feature bins to be Core i7 only, you might want to get the 2500K instead.

thx thats for later

waiting on the new nvidia kepler cards to come out  

as im a big nvidia fan dont care on the price as thay have the world's most powerful single and dual GPU 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Antec brand 1000watt   is what you're after, can't go wrong with a Antec PSU.  That give all the juice it needs and have a little extra, though you could get away wih a 800 watt range PSU with those ATI GPU's in the PC since they have a small energy footprint for the power they put out. One of the great things about ATI' latest GPU tech.

Well yeah you definitely need a new power supply, however, I am not certain that will fix your original problem of "slowing down" in games.

I'd still look for something overheating, and probably in your video card setup.

Originally posted by papa4519
    thx thats for later
    waiting on the new nvidia kepler cards to come out  
     as im a big nvidia fan dont care on the price as thay have the world's most powerful single and dual GPU 

I wasn't aware that nVidia had a dual GPU, at least since like the 295, which certainly isn't faster than the 5970 - which still competes favorably against the 580 even though it's almost a year and a half old. The rumored 590 isn't available yet.

There are rumors that Nvidia is working on a dual Fermi card, whether GF110 or GF114.  They won't be able to make it much faster than a GeForce GTX 580 without going over the 300 W cap of the PCI Express specification, so it may not have much of a point, even if it does exist.

If you push a bad power supply to its limits, it may have poor enough voltage regulation to make other components run hotter trying to correct the voltages.  That can cause overheating issues.

Kepler may or may not launch this year.  Officially, Fermi was supposed to launch in 2009, and the natural deadline was in October, with the launch of Windows 7 and DirectX 11.  The first Fermi cards didn't show up until April of 2010, the first fully functional cards that didn't have to disable parts of the chip didn't arrive until September, and the top bin 512 shader part that Nvidia had promised didn't arrive until November--more than a year late.

Now, I don't think Kepler will be that late again.  But it is a new process node, and Nvidia hasn't shown the competence in the past to get chips working quickly on new process nodes.  Time tables from both TSMC and Global Foundries have been slipping, so there are already big delays that are not at all the fault of Nvidia.

If you push a bad power supply to its limits, it may have poor enough voltage regulation to make other components run hotter trying to correct the voltages.  That can cause overheating issues.

I don't think that would be the case. I could go into a lot of reasons why, but I'll leave it because it'll get way to engineery and this thread isn't really the best place to debate it. There is a chance that just swapping out the PSU will fix everything, but it wouldn't be because components are trying to "correct" anything.

I think it would be well worth while to investigate case cooling and ventilation with those SLI cards, as I don't think that just the power supply upgrade will fix all his problems, and I'd hate to see him, or anyone else, go out and throw ~$100 at a solution only to find the original problem still exists, especially if just rerouting some cables, or adding another $5 fan, will.

Replacing a bad power supply might not fix the immediate problem, but I'd replace what he has anyway just on general principle.  If a heavy load overtaxes is to the point that it shuts down, then that's pushing it, and if it isn't causing hardware problems yet, it could easily do so in the future.

Replacing a bad power supply might not fix the immediate problem, but I'd replace what he has anyway just on general principle.  If a heavy load overtaxes is to the point that it shuts down, then that's pushing it, and if it isn't causing hardware problems yet, it could easily do so in the future.

I never said he shouldn't replace his power supply. In fact, I agree with you, and your choices for alternate power supplies.

I'm just saying he should look at other factors as well.

Again, two posts in a row, you just gotta be contrary ><