Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hearing all the Good, what about Bad?

2»

Comments

• PsycospankPsycospank Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I played the final 2 beta events and I found the game interesting and I never felt bored. The rift events always keep you moving, and the pvp battlegrounds type of fair are easy to enter and quick. I actually enjoyed the balance in the leveling it isn't a quick leveling process but everything keeps you pushing forward.

I only got to level 20 but I never felt bored. Admittedly I am more of a casual gamer but it impressed me enough that I have pre ordered it.

As for the bad things there are some obvious issues here, if you want a new type of mmo this is not it this is the tried and true style that we recognize in eq and all the others modeling this structure. It's simple fluid and well built.

Hope that helps. Ultimately if you enjoy it play it it doesn't matter what others say.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Edit - changed my mind. Gonna reply to someone else instead.

Originally posted by LotusBunny

Originally posted by Emhster

(snip)

• Soundtrack could use some work.

Note that I bought the game and I'm subbing. Those are the most insightful critics I've read and I consider them valid.

You know, I actually thought that the soundtrack was fantastic.  But that's just me.

Maybe it gets better further along the leveling. I just think there was nothing dazzling. And that was reported by few posters in here so that's why it made my negative list.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Rift felt extremely generic to me.  The clas system was neat and the Rifts were fun [only] when grouped with an army of others, but outside of that, I didn't see anything in Rift that wasn't done better someplace else.

Honestly, I felt like the game shouldn't even charge $15 dollars a month to play.  I'd be all over it if it charged $10 dollars or even $12.

So for the cost of a large coffee at starbucks once a month, you'd go from not bothering, to being all over it? 

Does it also go from 'extremely generic' to 'extremely awesome' for those few dollars? 

The following is all in my opinion obviously.

1. Rifts can actually be quite challenging and fun to do in small groups and as they scale it's quite possible. I did 14 hours yesterday with a lot of Rift zerging, but also some with smaller groups. I prefer the smaller groups to be honest. More strategy and tactics.

2. The class system is brilliant. I've always preferred games that provide a lot of choice in this area and with 36 souls and myriad combinations Rift does that. I'm playing a Warrior again for pre-launch but totally different soul combinations to beta and loving it. What you won't have to do in Rift is grind through all the original content if you decide that Warrior wasn't for you and you really wanted Paladin. As long as it's Warrior like in Rifts, you'll only ever need one character. That is very nice.

3. Sure you 'didn't see anything in Rift that wasn't done better someplace'. I can't dispute your opinion on that, I just don't agree with it. I think what many people are seeing is that Rift takes a lot of elements of other classic fantasy MMO's and does them all better.

4. Trion has in a very brief time built up incredible levels of good will and credbility with their players. I didn't even know who they were a few months ago. Until they show that to be all bullshit, I'm willing to put my time and money down on a game that I feel it's developers will continue to expand and improve upon constantly.

Rift/Trion are to be reckoned with, and although I'm not remotely qualified to say so I believe 2011 will prove that nicely.

Cheers,

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

• Graphics could be better (they are still good though).

• Character customization is limited. Few hairstyles, few sliders, few races.

• Rifts and invasions may disrupt your questing/gathering. (Some dislike it, not for everyone)

• Quests could be written better, according to some folks.

• Mob AIs could be better. They don't flee, they don't gang up ect..

Note that I bought the game and I'm subbing. Those are the most insightful critics I've read and I consider them valid.

You know, I actually thought that the soundtrack was fantastic.  But that's just me.

Agreed.  Thing is, in Beta I barely heard it and was thinking it wasn't any good.  With headstart though, I hear a lot more music and it sounds great.  Especially the music in Sanctum.  It made my 5 year old say it sounded pretty.  He was right.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

*There really isn't anything bad about Rift, but there is nothing really good about it either.

It's the tap water of MMOs. It'll quench your thirst if you need a familiar MMO game to play, but it's nothing special.

*Do I need to point out this is IMO only?image

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by elocke

• Graphics could be better (they are still good though).

• Character customization is limited. Few hairstyles, few sliders, few races.

• Rifts and invasions may disrupt your questing/gathering. (Some dislike it, not for everyone)

• Quests could be written better, according to some folks.

• Mob AIs could be better. They don't flee, they don't gang up ect..

Agreed.  Thing is, in Beta I barely heard it and was thinking it wasn't any good.  With headstart though, I hear a lot more music and it sounds great.  Especially the music in Sanctum.  It made my 5 year old say it sounded pretty.  He was right.

I hadn't noticed it before so I don't know if it's a change from beta 7 but the ambient sound in SIlverwood was really nice. I've gone out of my way to try and explore all of that zone and I was very happy with the audio.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by Die_Scream

*There really isn't anything bad about Rift, but there is nothing really good about it either.

It's the tap water of MMOs. It'll quench your thirst if you need a familiar MMO game to play, but it's nothing special.

8-)

Well considering the latest Final Fantasy disaster and the STO release I sort of think something that works and delivers on what it promised is actually something special. Or, at least it is different for a change.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by rwmiller

8-)

Well considering the latest Final Fantasy disaster and the STO release I sort of think something that works and delivers on what it promised is actually something special. Or, at least it is different for a change.

Yes, agreed and good point. Players are lucky if a game even works when released these days the bar is set so low.

So yeah, sadly, "It doesn't crash, and the content seems polished with few bugs" is now the gold standard lol.

Grats Trion, you get a gold medal for that. You're the tallest dwarf in the room!

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by rwmiller

8-)

Yes, agreed and good point. Players are lucky if a game even works when released these days the bar is set so low.

So yeah, sadly, "It doesn't crash, and the content seems polished with few bugs" is now the gold standard lol.

Grats Trion, you get a gold medal for that. You're the tallest dwarf in the room!

Yes, I know... It actually works and is at least mildly entertaining. Anything is better than picking up where I left of on my dead list. I'm going to bite the bullet and pick it up upon release. I'm so bored right now it doesn't matter if it's a wow clone. My daughter plays Wizard101 and quite frankly... it looked fun!?!??? I haven't played an mmorpg since last summer.(Guess I need to get laid.) But mediocre and exploring a new world is better than sheer boredom.  

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Goreignak

Well, started with EQ1 on Tallon Zek, played that for a year before switching over to DAoC.  Loved the RvR (was never great at it) and its three-sided conflict (damn Hibs).  Really liked WoW in the beginning before the BGs.  I did like WAR, but the PvP felt kinda pointless with the instancing.  Enjoyed Darkfall, but eventually got burned out on the grind and the broken siege mechanics (among other things).  Loved SWG (especially the crafting and housing), but the NGE killed it for me -- CU was at least bareable.

What has any of this got to do with this thread..?     Seriously now..?

• GavelaydeGavelayde Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by gracefield

Well, started with EQ1 on Tallon Zek, played that for a year before switching over to DAoC.  Loved the RvR (was never great at it) and its three-sided conflict (damn Hibs).  Really liked WoW in the beginning before the BGs.  I did like WAR, but the PvP felt kinda pointless with the instancing.  Enjoyed Darkfall, but eventually got burned out on the grind and the broken siege mechanics (among other things).  Loved SWG (especially the crafting and housing), but the NGE killed it for me -- CU was at least bareable.

What has any of this got to do with this thread..?     Seriously now..?

Absolutely nothing. Why was that even posted? posturing?

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

The bad?  Crashing after a period of time - usually 3-4 hours or so.  Back in the betas, it was not an issue.  There was no queue.  Now, when it happens and you are facing a 1-2 hour queue - it is freaking annoying - stupid - etc.

This issue first started with Beta 7, but was resolved within the first couple of days of the Open Beta.  It returned with the head start launch... and it is freaking annoying - stupid - etc.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Serious post.  I've looked through quite a few pages of the "Comparison Thread" and eventually hit the "TL:DR" stage.  From the sounds of it Rift has a lot of good stuff going for it, but aside from the "it's a WoW-clone" and "no mods for interface" comments what exactly is there to not like about Rift?

Still on the fence about grabbing Rift, and the last two games I purchased (DCUO & Xsyon) didn't "wow" me (no pun intended).  I'd hate to add a third one to that list in as many months.

Well, assuming you're a smart person who likes to make a well informed decision, I think you might want to wait for the trial. If you were really interested in Rift, you'd of played the Open Beta when you had the chance. That way, you'd of been able to form your own opinion considering that what "wow's" you could be different from what wow's another person.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

The soul system isn't really that revolutionary, it's the talent system we're all use to in a new bag.

Imagine, instead of picking a class that has 3 talent trees, you just pick three random talent trees.

Also, you only get 66 points to put into these trees, one full tree being, what 41 points?

So essentially, you pick three trees that do similar or different things, and you either put most of your points into one tree with only a handful leftover for the others if you want to be GOOD at something, or you put 20ish points into all three trees and be mediocre at everything.

I found this to be pretty dumb, I wish they would've given more points or made the soul system two souls at a time instead of 3.

• noobletonoobleto Member Posts: 33

I played in -I believe- every beta and decided not to pre-order. Here are my Pros and Cons.

Pros:

Very smooth playing experience (there are very few bugs)

The soul system really makes you feel individual.

Trion is doing a great job supporting and listening to the players.

Cons:

Boring combat.

Bland,uninspiring, and poorly designed world.

The rifts, while a good idea in theory, are predictible and overdone.

Poorly Optimized.

Sub-par Graphics.

Of course these are just my personal opinions. This is not really a bad game, it is just an example of how badly people want a new game to replace the reigning champion. RIFT will probably do well just because it's new and will not release with the insane amount of launch issues like AOC,Warhammer, or AION.                  

Playing:
    Lotro
    Have Played:
    EQII,DAOC,SWG,COH,EQ,DDO, Lotro,AoC, EvE,Guild Wars,
    Silkroad Online,Aion,and WoW
    Favorite of all time: WoW
    Waiting on:Swtor,Gw2, and Tera

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by noobleto

I played in -I believe- every beta and decided not to pre-order. Here are my Pros and Cons.

Pros:

Very smooth playing experience (there are very few bugs)

The soul system really makes you feel individual.

Trion is doing a great job supporting and listening to the players.

Cons:

Boring combat.

Bland,uninspiring, and poorly designed world.

The rifts, while a good idea in theory, are predictible and overdone.

Poorly Optimized.

Sub-par Graphics.

Of course these are just my personal opinions. This is not really a bad game, it is just an example of how badly people want a new game to replace the reigning champion. RIFT will probably do well just because it's new and will not release with the insane amount of launch issues like AOC,Warhammer, or AION.                  

Right on personal opintions ftw but most of what your cons were i had as Pros.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Serious post.  I've looked through quite a few pages of the "Comparison Thread" and eventually hit the "TL:DR" stage.  From the sounds of it Rift has a lot of good stuff going for it, but aside from the "it's a WoW-clone" and "no mods for interface" comments what exactly is there to not like about Rift?

Still on the fence about grabbing Rift, and the last two games I purchased (DCUO & Xsyon) didn't "wow" me (no pun intended).  I'd hate to add a third one to that list in as many months.

that's it.  i haven't seen any other complaints so far.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by Gavelayde

Originally posted by Zinzan

Classes = Yawn

Races = Yawn

Quests = Generic, predictable, lack any decent storyline. Linear content seems tacked-on, like the story is there to justify the quest rather than vice versa.

It's just such a boring grinder, there is nothing new whatsoever, ok it's done reasonably well and the graphics aren't terrible, but everything Rift does has been done before and done better.

There are a lot of plusses for this game, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

Bottom line, right now it's the new thing, it's fun for the moment, but is it a keeper? On initial impressions, no.

Crap. I was hoping to buy this game right away and have it occupy my time til GW2 came out but to many ppl over to many sites are saying how bored they are with game. And I've played several games simular to WOW and WOW itself. Sadly, I can find no mmo to play at the moment. I tried several of the free to play and I'm not going back to any of my former games.

I guess I'll come back in a month and check to see if anything has changed. I'll stick to single player in the meantime.

strange, i've seen nothing but good about the game.  where are you getting this info from?