Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 1 year, STO worth picking up?

Comments

• FightingDonkFightingDonk Member Posts: 3

Not an english native speaker so sorry for any mistakes.

This game is, in my opinion, one of the best MMOs out on the market. It has a fantastic atmosphere, very exciting and immersive quests (quest-lines), beautiful graphics, excellent sound and a very good dev team, who listen to the community and take care of the game.

STO has been misunderstood in the beginning, everyone wanted a Sci-Fi-WOW and got disappointed by learning that the game strucuture and mechanics of STO are completely different.

It's slow paced, it's not about jumping around and smashing buttons, it's not (so much) about collecting items and rewards.

You have to turn your ship into the right position, you have to use shields and other gadgets in ground combat at the right time a.s.f., everything at a slow, tactical pace.

It's about having a great, exciting and fun experience on your way to the highest level. It's not about getting to max level as fast as possible to then play the endgame. I am commander 8 now (playing 4 MMOs at the same time right now, STO, DCUO, Rift (beat) and AOC), although I play from the day of release now and I didn't even once think about wich level I am now and how long it will take to get to max level. I simply enjoy the present adventuring experience.

Maybe one off its main problems is that the game does  not fit into the US market because of its different play style. Here in germany, I know a lot of happy players who would never quit. (This is NOT a judging in any ways !)

I played 11 MMOs so far, each  to max. level and a minimum of 6 month, and I have never witnessed such a great peace of art like STO to this point.

STO has evolved a lot since release and I can only recommend to anyone to try it out, play it open minded and give it a little time to undestand it. You will get a wonderful game if you like star trek or science fiction in general.

Played 13 MMOs. Favorites are AoC, DCUO and Rift.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by FightingDonk

This game is, in my opinion, one of the best MMOs out on the market. It has a fantastic atmosphere, very exciting and immersive quests (quest-lines), beautiful graphics, excellent sound and a very good dev team, who listen to the community and take care of the game.  I wouldn't call a Dev team the has the "They Just Don't Get It" attitude very careing and listening.

STO has been misunderstood in the beginning, everyone wanted a Sci-Fi-WOW and got disappointed by learning that the game strucuture and mechanics of STO are completely different.  No one wanted a Sci-Fi WOW game, but that is what we got, a shoot first and blow things up and ask no questions game.

It's slow paced, it's not about jumping around and smashing buttons, it's not (so much) about collecting items and rewards.  That is exactaly what it is about, jumping around and smashing buttons.

You have to turn your ship into the right position, you have to use shields and other gadgets in ground combat at the right time a.s.f., everything at a slow, tactical pace.  There is nothing tacticle about space or ground combat, the person who shoots first with the most usually wins and the battle is usually one big slow circle.

It's about having a great, exciting and fun experience on your way to the highest level. It's not about getting to max level as fast as possible to then play the endgame. I am commander 8 now (playing 4 MMOs at the same time right now, STO, DCUO, Rift (beat) and AOC), although I play from the day of release now and I didn't even once think about wich level I am now and how long it will take to get to max level. I simply enjoy the present adventuring experience.

Maybe one off its main problems is that the game does  not fit into the US market because of its different play style. Here in germany, I know a lot of happy players who would never quit. (This is NOT a judging in any ways !) Well it is good to know that Cryptic will always have a market in Germany.

I played 11 MMOs so far, each  to max. level and a minimum of 6 month, and I have never witnessed such a great peace of art like STO to this point.  I would love to know what 11 mmo's you played to make this statement.

STO has evolved a lot since release and I can only recommend to anyone to try it out, play it open minded and give it a little time to undestand it. You will get a wonderful game if you like star trek or science fiction in general.  You are correct, STO did evolve alot since it launched in pre-beta stage.  At this point in time STO is or would be in the last stages of Beta before being released.

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

This game is, in my opinion, one of the best MMOs out on the market. It has a fantastic atmosphere, very exciting and immersive quests (quest-lines), beautiful graphics, excellent sound and a very good dev team, who listen to the community and take care of the game.  I wouldn't call a Dev team the has the "They Just Don't Get It" attitude very careing and listening.

STO has been misunderstood in the beginning, everyone wanted a Sci-Fi-WOW and got disappointed by learning that the game strucuture and mechanics of STO are completely different.  No one wanted a Sci-Fi WOW game, but that is what we got, a shoot first and blow things up and ask no questions game.

It's slow paced, it's not about jumping around and smashing buttons, it's not (so much) about collecting items and rewards.  That is exactaly what it is about, jumping around and smashing buttons.

You have to turn your ship into the right position, you have to use shields and other gadgets in ground combat at the right time a.s.f., everything at a slow, tactical pace.  There is nothing tacticle about space or ground combat, the person who shoots first with the most usually wins and the battle is usually one big slow circle.

Maybe one off its main problems is that the game does  not fit into the US market because of its different play style. Here in germany, I know a lot of happy players who would never quit. (This is NOT a judging in any ways !) Well it is good to know that Cryptic will always have a market in Germany.

I played 11 MMOs so far, each  to max. level and a minimum of 6 month, and I have never witnessed such a great peace of art like STO to this point.  I would love to know what 11 mmo's you played to make this statement.

STO has evolved a lot since release and I can only recommend to anyone to try it out, play it open minded and give it a little time to undestand it. You will get a wonderful game if you like star trek or science fiction in general.  You are correct, STO did evolve alot since it launched in pre-beta stage.  At this point in time STO is or would be in the last stages of Beta before being released.

Boy, you must be a really angry guy with your negative, intolerant comments and your red color. Someone asked for opinions, I gave mine. Boy, you're really angry.....any heavy disappointments in your life ?

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Boy, you must be a really angry guy with your negative, intolerant comments and your red color. Someone asked for opinions, I gave mine. Boy, you're really angry.....any heavy disappointments in your life ?

you seem to be confusing anger with honesty fightingdonk. you made a lot of statements in your post that most mmo players would consider misleading at best.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by raistalin69

you seem to be confusing anger with honesty fightingdonk. you made a lot of statements in your post that most mmo players would consider misleading at best.

And I would say you are confusing anger with opinion. Both are.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Sevenwind

And I would say you are confusing anger with opinion. Both are.

I would have to agree, these comments sound more like viral marketting than honesty though. Especially if you read the last paragraph of that wall of text. It reeks VM. Sorry to say but STO is all but enjoyable.

I will also admit that I am the type of customer to whom if the game sucks after the 2nd month, the game sucks forever since i've already moved on. We are majority. This being clarified, STO sucked after the 2nd month.

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

LOL.  I don't think I'll ever understand why people find it necessary to go to a forum, crap on a game, and then continue to follow up with multiple posts defending their position and attempting to convince people who are enjoying the game that they are wrong.

By all means, post that you don't like the game and explain why.  But, then you can go have fun doing what you do.  No further input required.

Memo to the haters: we are not wrong.  If we enjoy something, then that is our prerogative.  Your opinion or that of any other stranger will have no effect on that.  If I agree not to go to the forum of a game you enjoy and try to convince you you're an idiot for having fun will you leave us alone?

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Feydaway

LOL.  I don't think I'll ever understand why people find it necessary to go to a forum, crap on a game, and then continue to follow up with multiple posts defending their position and attempting to convince people who are enjoying the game that they are wrong.

By all means, post that you don't like the game and explain why.  But, then you can go have fun doing what you do.  No further input required.

Memo to the haters: we are not wrong.  If we enjoy something, then that is our prerogative.  Your opinion or that of any other stranger will have no effect on that.  If I agree not to go to the forum of a game you enjoy and try to convince you you're an idiot for having fun will you leave us alone?

I think you have the a mistaken opinion. Personnally , i take offence with people that come on and state that it's great , fantastic etc.. and list a whole litany of things that STO has or has added , improved . Basically misrepresenting the facts , in their enthusiasm .

I couldn't care less that you enjoy the game , ( that's why you have the STO forums , for like minded individuals to huddle together in there dwindling numbers and kiss dev butt , bcause that's about all you can do there, and be denigrated by the Dev, CEO or CM's )  What I do care about are the misrepresentation , exaggreations , distortions and generalizations, that start with the Company and players perpetuate. 

I take exception to people coming on and saying that unless you play the game, you don't know what you're talking about. I take exception to people differentiating that content added to the C-Store is somehow different from the gameplay content. Understand that content is content , if it makes you feel better that gameplay content is somehow different then C-Store items content , fine.  Those people are dilusional and console themselves with the fact that Cryptic is not spending more time on those C-Store items then on the gameplay. Breakdown any engineering report and look at the items they list and ask  ' how much is headed for C-Store "  ?  Like I said dilusional.

They have a small team, smaller then most small resturants, DStahls words. (I can link the quote if interested )  I'm happy people like the game , it's a small part of the gaming community , I just object to the misrepresentation that consistently appears on this forum. I would never suggest someone avoid the game. I believe everyone should try it, that wants to . I would never endorse anyone paying for this game however. The sole purpose of this game is to separate you from as much money as possible , while delivering as little as possible. ( ex : the emblem prices for the C-Store ships, etc.. ) Just because it's Star Trek doesn't make it good, if that were the case Champions Online would be considered a success, since STO is just a reskin of CO basically. If your opinion differs , it's your money to do with as you like .

I don't either. To each their own. Great post.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I think you have the a mistaken opinion. Personnally , i take offence with people that come on and state that it's great , fantastic etc.. and list a whole litany of things that STO has or has added , improved . Basically misrepresenting the facts , in their enthusiasm .

I couldn't care less that you enjoy the game , ( that's why you have the STO forums , for like minded individuals to huddle together in there dwindling numbers and kiss dev butt , bcause that's about all you can do there, and be denigrated by the Dev, CEO or CM's )  What I do care about are the misrepresentation , exaggreations , distortions and generalizations, that start with the Company and players perpetuate. 

I take exception to people coming on and saying that unless you play the game, you don't know what you're talking about. I take exception to people differentiating that content added to the C-Store is somehow different from the gameplay content. Understand that content is content , if it makes you feel better that gameplay content is somehow different then C-Store items content , fine.  Those people are dilusional and console themselves with the fact that Cryptic is not spending more time on those C-Store items then on the gameplay. Breakdown any engineering report and look at the items they list and ask  ' how much is headed for C-Store "  ?  Like I said dilusional.

They have a small team, smaller then most small resturants, DStahls words. (I can link the quote if interested )  I'm happy people like the game , it's a small part of the gaming community , I just object to the misrepresentation that consistently appears on this forum. I would never suggest someone avoid the game. I believe everyone should try it, that wants to . I would never endorse anyone paying for this game however. The sole purpose of this game is to separate you from as much money as possible , while delivering as little as possible. ( ex : the emblem prices for the C-Store ships, etc.. ) Just because it's Star Trek doesn't make it good, if that were the case Champions Online would be considered a success, since STO is just a reskin of CO basically. If your opinion differs , it's your money to do with as you like .

And at the end of all of this..... it's still your opinion (not factual).

All I did was to give my personal, honest opinion on the game. STO is  different to other MMOs and I love it.

What you do ist you give your (very agressiv and negative) personal opinion on the game and try to force everyone else to consider your opinion as the ultimate truth, not allowing any other personal opinions on the game.

"Intolerance" is the right word for that. And you can cry and scream and be angry and write your hate in this thread but it will not change the fact that I  am very happy with STO the way it is, and that there are a lot of other players who are happy with it, too.

How can you tell that STO is crap if you played it 1 or 2 month and then never again ? This game is out for more then 1 year now. And how can you say the game is shit only because it does not fit your play style ?

Boy, you have to learn a lot in life, yet. Especially how to treat your, and communicate with your social enviroment. (Wich I belong to, too,  somehow,  as long as we argue in these forums)

Have a nice day, all ! See you in STO, Rift and DCUO ! =)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

1. Trial, give it a go
    2. Only hardcore Star Trek fans are mostly playing this game
    3. I don't care for it either and I played ~2 months total and couldn't last more than 20 minutes at a time but perhaps I'm spoiled by other MMO games. Perhaps when it goes free2play I may bother again as I got the collectors edition for like $12 out of the bargain bin around Christmas time (that should hint you on how popular the game is).

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Are the ground maps any larger? Are there less instances? I haven't played since the first month of release. Would I see a huge difference in terms of content and game play if I returned now?

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Lateris

Are the ground maps any larger? Are there less instances? I haven't played since the first month of release. Would I see a huge difference in terms of content and game play if I returned now?

Some of the new "weekly" episodes have pretty impressive ground maps and Earth Space Dock has been tweaked but over all ground content is exactly the same as at launch. STO is still made up of little instanced boxes just as it was at launch but the player cap per instance is now said to be 100 instead of 50 tho it still feels like a single player game to me.

The revamp of sector space is cool and will be what jumps out at you the most but content wise its pretty bad considering the game is over a year old. There are STF's (raid zones) which no one bothers with as they suck along with some high level missions whch will get you to max level but after that its the same as launch with nothing to do once you get there. STO really has a tiny dev team and with 50% of there output being C-Store crap very little has been added to the game for just the subscription fee.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I have a lifetime sub and I have only logged in twice this year.  They call the new content "weekly" episodes but they dont come out weekly, I think once every 2 to 3 months they could out with a 3 to 4 week episode so its not like content is coming in each week like the fanbois would have you believe.  The new art for sector space looks nice but it is for looks only.  Still nothing to do inside your ship but walk around and look at the walls.  (Do you remember 8 months ago when ship interiors were added and the excuse was ?we just want to get it in so we have a base to work on"  well, 8 months later and nothing. 

If you like PvP be ready for a 30 to 90 minute wait time.  If you want the coolest ships with EXTRA functionality then you either grind the same stuff over and over for many weeks or give Cryptic more money on top of your premium monthly sub.  Your better off waiting for this to go F2P, it will before the end of this year.

If they dropped the monthly sub fee to $8 a month, this would be an ok casual game to jump in and out of but for a premium rate and against all the other MMO's available and coming soon, STO just does not stack up.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Well lthats too bad. The new producer seems like he wants to really turn this game around. Looks like I can wait another year or two in MMO time. Back to Eve.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Wow this thread is so full of STO hate I could almost feel the dark side(oh yes I just did that). Looks like someone didn't get what they had imagined as a proper Trek mmo.

Originally posted by Rudras

STO is not great game as Eve but it is  good game if you not looking change for real life.Funy  mmorpg,with nice comunity.Beter after every new seasson(major content update).

Before one year my personal score was 5/10,now is 8/10.

majr content updates????? REALLY? ROFL!!!!

please list the major things that have been added IN ONE FULL YEAR NOW. do not include things that are in the c-store (stuff you have to pay for on top of the sub are not content), and do not include UGC as having the players do the work for the devs should not be called content.

what exactly does that leave in a year?

and dont add the very basic things like crafting that should be in any AAA mmo at launch.

If I got a dollar for every time people screamed for more sandbox, well with he UGC you have a major sandbox element to fullfill your Trek dreams.

Originally posted by severius

Personally, I always wanted to like STO.  And for the most part I did, and would still play it if there was a way to never have to take part in away missions.  I have never seen a more poorly developed part of a piece of software in 20 years of development and 30 years of gaming.  I would be completely and totally ashamed to have my name associated with the travesty that it is lol.

The Dunning–Kruger effect

Originally posted by PojeTehMan

One word : Admiral.

In STO you have thousands of Admirals on bridges of Ships and for me, a Star Trek fan, thats ridiculus...

Just one exemple of how stupid this game is and how FAR from the storylines of the television series it is.

Do you really think the players would be satisfied with spending hours on traveling between worlds, clicking through text chats with diplomacy and discuss the Prime Directive? No they would get quite mad over the boring gameplay if it were like the series.

I played STO, it certainly lacks some, but I was impressed by what Cryptic managed to make in such short time, a space and ground game that worked resonably well, if anything I felt like the Trek feeling was there, just too shallow for me to continue at that time, with ground combat and crafting beeing quite weak. But I had fun for a short time.

Still it's like $10 for a space game that is ok, not a bad deal if you can't handle Eve's mega alliance meta gaming spreadsheet in space, you might end up liking it, not that many space games to chose from.

I decided to find out for myself. A lot has changed that is very damn cool since I played in release.  Thank you massively.com thank you for the live stream on STO.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Lat,

Come back in 60 days and let us know if you are still playing. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

Lat,

I knew someone was going to post that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO! Ok  I will. be prepared for a flaming revue of love or hate. So will be back on May 6th, 2011.

Ha, my 1500th post lol!

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by Lateris

Originally posted by Talonsin

Lat,

I knew someone was going to post that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO! Ok  I will. be prepared for a flaming revue of love or hate. So will be back on May 6th, 2011.

Ha, my 1500th post lol!

In 60 days, they should have added the foundry (player generated content) and at least one more featured episode series, to there should be a good amount of content to keep you busy. Now if you just don't like the gameplay you'll be back here before 60 days :p

• spookymiaspookymia Member UncommonPosts: 57

Yes The Foundary could do great things for this game. I haven't tried it on test yet but I have heard good things about it. I used to play City of Heroes and their equivalent called Mission Architect ruined the game for me because a significant number of players just wanted to play farming missions and nothing else. This issue was raised in an STO interview recently and it sounds like The Foundary is much more about story, not massive rewards.

I hang out here anyways because I am addicted to message boards- :) Its nice to see old names here!

K added this to my blog

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Lateris

• VagabondyVagabondy Member Posts: 2

I have been following this games progress on the forums and decided to give its a try. I got the Gold addition as it was on sale for like peanuts. Now i have been aware of this game from Feb last year and with all the negative comments i decied to give it a year, so when i saw the deal in the bargin bin i bought it.

First thing i was hit with was 7 gig download. But hey i still had the free game time as a bagin so i was very happy. Now i dont care much for the extriemes this game insites in some posters but as for my littel 2c its just the way i see it after playing it recently.

1- At first glance the game looks very bussy and populated but you soon relise its lvl 48 players in the starting area and this was a problem for me because some mission i need to do like kill 3 contact signals would ratchet up to there level and i would just die in my noob ship. This lead me to try and change instances to find a smaller lower group to play in but i did not find any however i did manage to finish the mission by running like hell when i go into the instance and let other kill the mobs for me. 

2- SS Azuras mission keep crashing and i had to start everytime from the biggining it was very frustrating but i did get through it after the  5th attempt. Its not my PC because i play other games like Crysis2 at full graphic and it runs fine. This crashing also happened on some Aid The plant mission which i had to look for. 

3-Ground combat was realy frustrating because everything was so clunky and disjoinded. My pets where rolling everywhere and jumping up and down, it was like the AI when bloody mad and they dash into rooms before i can say anything.

4-Exploration... I dont think this game has any or what they call exploration is just sad. You scan for system and then have to do the same thing you do in any of the other missions. Shoots stuff and scan

5-Space combat it fun for a while but this only lasted me 3-4 days because it all just got so repetitive. There are some nice missions but they are far and few between.

6-Space Enviroments are pretty but small. This game missed the scale i was expecting in a space game. Its just made up of boxes and i tend to feel like i am playing Star Fleet command with a immproved graphics engine.

7-Crafting I did not even get into this except the first few mission it was just...blah... when i started not enjoing the game i did not even bother to look into this more.

8-C-Shop .. if there was one thing that got me was that i would have to pay $15 a month and then have to buy stuff as well. I dont know what model this is but it sux.

Any way i plaid for about 22 days but i already cancelled my subcription i had to sign up for with the box which is due after my 30days. I dont think its a bad game but its not for poeple looking for depth. The game is SHoot Scann Shoot Scann .... and pressing the space bar and F was not my idea of Startrek. And i am shore space combat has some depth but its realy not much for a game like this.

PS: Sorry for the spelling i am not English 

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

"After 1 year, STO worth picking up?"

No.