Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft- First of its kind??

One question to you guys. Was World of Warcraft first of its kind and set the mark for all future MMO RPG's like for example the recent RIFT. This does not mean you say "no it copied chat boxes from everquest "or silly things like that. Was it first of its kind for the type of new and new gameplay style questing style it brought to the mmo world and i would like to focus mainly of vanilla wow here because we all know it was just awesome. Not to mention the amount of sucsess the game has made.

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

lol / sigh

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

No it isn't.  World of warcraft is just an evolution of the everquest game model, which was an evolution of text diku muds.  Rift is just another step in the evolution as will other games.  Some bigger steps and some smaller.

Other games will try new things and be first at whatever new things they do. 

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

No.

It was simply another MMORPG, which happened to be made by Blizzard, who happened to already have a huge playerbase due to Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, and the Battle.net players.

Though I suppose some originality could be attributed to the fact that WoW greatly simplified the MMORPG mechanics of the time, thus making the genre more accessable to a wider audience.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No i thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Blizzard devs were huge EQ fans and players and pretty much adopted everything from EQ and EQ2.There is literally nothing Blizzard was first at,unless you want to talk about maybe Battlegrounds and server wide grouping and the security tokens,all of which are only recent improvements.That is about all i can think of that stood out as a Wow first and even the battlegrounds is really old school but not done like in Wow.

I am a long time vet of gaming and what i saw from Blizzard was a design catered to the majority of gamers who just don't like challenges.I am not talking bout Raids or game play that happens down the road,i am talking about HOOK n Bait tactics to draw in that crowd and keep them there long enough that they are afraid to quit for fear of losing all they achieved.That gimmick was EASE,make soloing VERY easy,direct players exactly where to go and what to do,really they don't need  to think or plan anything,just follow the exclamation marks and  they are all set.The reason i mention this "EASE" is because that was their attempt at a first,Blizzard truly believed that there was a huge market for players that just want achievements /advancements without much effort,we have all heard the millions of excuses why....i have a job,i don't want gaming to be a job ect ect ect.However this type of game design is not really something you can call a FIRST,a proper term would be gimmick.

Nope Blizzard was not even trying to achieve any firsts,they were looking to grab some of the MMORPG pie that was about to go crazy with every household now having DSL at reasonable rates.They did not want to spend too much time looking for firsts,they already knew the design VERY well from playing EQ,so that is EXACTLY what they were striving for.I truly beleive Blizzard  had the money and tech to go for tons of firsts and chose a simpler design approach,they wanted a game out fast,the race was on between EQ2 and Wow right from day 1.

That is a whole other topic for debate,the "WHY" they went for the cheaper low tech route,"WHY" they chose to not go for any firsts or technical advancements in gaming,but most definitley NO firsts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

No.

It was simply another MMORPG, which happened to be made by Blizzard, who happened to already have a huge playerbase due to Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, and the Battle.net players.

Though I suppose some originality could be attributed to the fact that WoW greatly simplified the MMORPG mechanics of the time, thus making the genre more accessable to a wider audience.

I've alway's have wondered, where the first players of WoW actually from Blizzards former games, or was it that the first few months WoW actually had mostly MMORPG's players and that the battlenet players came in months later?

I also believe that  due to at the time internet becoming more and more mainstream where every household suddenly had the chance to be online 24/7 if they wanted yet didn't have the gaming rigs people had that already been online since pay-per-hour rates or 56k modems who knew you had to have a beefy computer to run online games like MMORPG's, Blizzard made it so that their game run pretty smooth for low end computer.

The rest I agree with and some of it am just wondering image

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Daffid011

No it isn't.  World of warcraft is just an evolution of the everquest game model, which was an evolution of text diku muds.  Rift is just another step in the evolution as will other games.  Some bigger steps and some smaller.

Other games will try new things and be first at whatever new things they do. 

I completely agree with this.... well said