Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100 bucks to start playing WoW? REALLY?

124»

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by daveospice

If I want to be up to date and start playing WoW for the first time and have all the access everyone else does I have to pay 100 bucks?  This late in the game?

This game looks like it was made in 1998 and was state of the art THEN!  Why the hell would I pay 100 bucks for out dated graphics, and generic gameplay?  If it was FTP MAYBE, but 100 bucks and 15 bucks a month to play a game that everyone considers the carebear game of the masses?  Whatever man.  Whatever.  Lower the damn price or no new players will try it.

Try Rift. Superior product and it's only $50. Then you can sub it for $10/mo if you act quickly.

• MasterDeadlyMasterDeadly Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by gordiflu

Originally posted by MasterDeadly

Now your just being pedantic. All that we can take away from this is that World of Warcraft is going to be worth its weight in gold for your money. The fact that you laughed at "Quality comes at a price" puts you in a state of error. There is no question that World of Warcraft is a well polished and quality product. 

I think it is time some guys learn to differentiate quality and quantity.

Or, to put it in other words: A zillion flies can't be wrong: eat crap and fly.

Sorry but outdated graphics and mechanics plus gear grind, awful community, little challenge and dumb crafting... so, those are the qualities that define a quality product?

Oh and i've love to see what guild your in. Paragon? Oh and whats your Arena rating?

None. No. None. All answered, thanks.

I don't play WoW now. And anyway, your question is absolutelly unrelated to what we are discussing here. If you are after an excuse to show off your own rating or whatever, link it here if you fancy so. Anyway, we couldn't care less.

Now, if anybody wants to discuss things in a smart way I ll be happy to do so. From now on, my little trolls, welcome to ignore.

Smart? you appear to have next to no knowledge. I'm not looking to show off my own rating, i'm stating that you are in no position to say that WoW isn't challenging. I don't know why i bother, the internet is full of blithering idiots and it frustrates me to the point where i give up trying to inform the masses.

Originally posted by jpnole

If I want to be up to date and start playing WoW for the first time and have all the access everyone else does I have to pay 100 bucks?  This late in the game?

This game looks like it was made in 1998 and was state of the art THEN!  Why the hell would I pay 100 bucks for out dated graphics, and generic gameplay?  If it was FTP MAYBE, but 100 bucks and 15 bucks a month to play a game that everyone considers the carebear game of the masses?  Whatever man.  Whatever.  Lower the damn price or no new players will try it.

Try Rift. Superior product and it's only $50. Then you can sub it for $10/mo if you act quickly.

Hold out half a year until it becomes Free to Play. Pretty good bang for buck then if you ask me.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Elpresador69

How naive can you get? Your the one claiming the graphics are out-dated and the mechanics grindy. You clearly have not played Cataclysm. Get your facts right before brushing  people off as trolls.

Read above. As I said, I played it months before you even knew of its existance.

And yes, when somebody does not adress any of my points in a post adressing to me and the only thing he/she does is calling me names, I do brush him/her off as a troll. I am up for discussing anything. We may or may not agree and I may or may not change my mind. In any case, I will listen and consider the other person's point of view. Now, if you start calling names right from the start, my reaction will be different. Is it that surprising?

• extolroxextolrox Member Posts: 22

Hold out half a year until it becomes Free to Play. Pretty good bang for buck then if you ask me.

rift would be a top notch choice.... and no it will not be going f2p any time soon with the fact more people who are burnt out from WoW and feel screwed by WAR are loving every minute in Rift yep already getting some following 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Not in your wildest dreams. Rift is in for the long haul. All other mmos are old news and not worth the time or money.

Now your just being pedantic. All that we can take away from this is that World of Warcraft is going to be worth its weight in gold for your money. The fact that you laughed at "Quality comes at a price" puts you in a state of error. There is no question that World of Warcraft is a well polished and quality product. 

Sorry but outdated graphics and mechanics plus gear grind, awful community, little challenge and dumb crafting... so, those are the qualities that define a quality product?

Lol. Poor troll is troll. This is all subjective. You may think that but in reality aren't most MMO's like that. To be so naive and narrow minded makes me wonder about your well being.

You are right. Most MMOs are like that. Most MMOs are not quality.

BTW, you are the one trolling, man. You are calling me names but you have not even tried to discuss any of the points I am commenting.

Outdated graphics is not subjective. Want a calendar? It's 2011, you know?

Gear grind is not subjective. We all know WoW is one of the most gear-centric MMOs out there. Know many MMOs with a gear rating score?

Awful community, this may be subjective. But funnily enough most non-wow players agree on this, and many WoW players do too.

Little challenge is not subjective. I don't need to link you videos of Paladins actually facerolling on the keyboard and yet killing the mobs or Warlocks leveling while AFK with their pets, do I.

You can't say there is little challenge within WoW. Unless you have cleared the current content up to its limits then i can't agree with that. Paladins facerolling on the keyboard and killing mobs or Warlocks leveling while AFK with their pets? most of that didn't make any sense. If you didn't no already Ret Paladins are in a pretty bad state and saying that they can faceroll warlocks whilst AFK is understandable if they can't fight back... lol

Work on your reading skills. That is not what I said. Please, read that again.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Seriously, you have no clue about that. AoC have been around for almost 3 years with rather small population and is still P2P.

I don't think any company would turn a game into a F2P game until at least a year have gone since the release, it would be admitting that you did something wrong- STO still isn't F2P even if it probably isn't far enough

Sure, it is possible that Rift will become F2P but we can't be sure that Blizz wont make Wow F2P as well, it is actually rather likely in the long run even if it wont happen this year.

So you are wrong. If someone want a F2P game to get more out of their money both LOTRO and EQ2X are fine enough games. And GW2 will release with B2P, hopefully within a year.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

How naive can you get? Your the one claiming the graphics are out-dated and the mechanics grindy. You clearly have not played Cataclysm. Get your facts right before brushing  people off as trolls.

The Fisher-Price graphics are definitely out-dated.  Some may like the style, but that does not change that they are out-dated.  Of course, were Blizzard to decide to update the graphics - the game likely would not run for much of their customer base.  Enough people are fine with the graphics, that Blizzard really has no reason to change them.

I had to laugh at the grindy thing too, myself.  80-85 in a weekend is not grindy in the least.  If anything, how quickly one levels in WoW is an issue - not that it is grindy.  Boring on the other hand can come into play.  As quickly as one may find that they leveled one toon, it was painful to try to level another.  It was odd, because I did not experience that issue in the least for a plethora of alts through Vanilla, Cruasde, and Lich King.

It is very subjective though, because there are those that adore Cataclysm.  Blizzard started to kill the game for me pre-Cata when they started the 4.0 patching.  In the end, the only reason that I bought Cataclysm was because I felt that I needed to do so to continue playing WoW.  It was the Extortion Expansion.  I felt disgust with myself for having done so, because it was the first time I had been disappointed with WoW.

Sure, there may have been things that I did not like about the game - but I never felt ripped off or that I had wasted time until Cataclysm.

I would have preferred an expansion more in line with what was done with Crusade or Lich King than what was done with Cataclysm... but that is just my opinion.  I know people that love what Blizzard did with Cataclysm.

So again, to an extent - do the trial, if you like it - buy Vanilla - if you like it - buy Crusade - if you like it - buy Lich King - if you like it buy Cata - etc, etc, etc.  Heck, there are trials along the way, no?

WoW is not going to be for everybody, but just because Person A does not like it does not Person B will not - anymore than Person A liking it means Person B will.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer

The Fisher-Price graphics are definitely out-dated.  Some may like the style, but that does not change that they are out-dated.  Of course, were Blizzard to decide to update the graphics - the game likely would not run for much of their customer base.  Enough people are fine with the graphics, that Blizzard really has no reason to change them.

I had to laugh at the grindy thing too, myself.  80-85 in a weekend is not grindy in the least.  If anything, how quickly one levels in WoW is an issue - not that it is grindy.  Boring on the other hand can come into play.  As quickly as one may find that they leveled one toon, it was painful to try to level another.  It was odd, because I did not experience that issue in the least for a plethora of alts through Vanilla, Cruasde, and Lich King.

It is very subjective though, because there are those that adore Cataclysm.  Blizzard started to kill the game for me pre-Cata when they started the 4.0 patching.  In the end, the only reason that I bought Cataclysm was because I felt that I needed to do so to continue playing WoW.  It was the Extortion Expansion.  I felt disgust with myself for having done so, because it was the first time I had been disappointed with WoW.

Sure, there may have been things that I did not like about the game - but I never felt ripped off or that I had wasted time until Cataclysm.

I would have preferred an expansion more in line with what was done with Crusade or Lich King than what was done with Cataclysm... but that is just my opinion.  I know people that love what Blizzard did with Cataclysm.

So again, to an extent - do the trial, if you like it - buy Vanilla - if you like it - buy Crusade - if you like it - buy Lich King - if you like it buy Cata - etc, etc, etc.  Heck, there are trials along the way, no?

WoW is not going to be for everybody, but just because Person A does not like it does not Person B will not - anymore than Person A liking it means Person B will.

The reason why you feel like you cant bring yourself

Oh and i've love to see what guild your in. Paragon? Oh and whats your Arena rating?

None. No. None. All answered, thanks.

I don't play WoW now. And anyway, your question is absolutelly unrelated to what we are discussing here. If you are after an excuse to show off your own rating or whatever, link it here if you fancy so. Anyway, we couldn't care less.

Now, if anybody wants to discuss things in a smart way I ll be happy to do so. From now on, my little trolls, welcome to ignore.

Smart? you appear to have next to no knowledge. I'm not looking to show off my own rating, i'm stating that you are in no position to say that WoW isn't challenging. I don't know why i bother, the internet is full of blithering idiots and it frustrates me to the point where i give up trying to inform the masses.

I am in a position becouse:

1) While I do not play WoW now I have played it in the past.

2) Most of my friends from then who still play it complain about exactly the same thing: "it's too easy now"

3) I see it beeing played everyday on the computer right next to mine.

4) I have been playing for a while, and have tried quite a few games so I have references to compare. Let's just say I started playing on text mode on a green monochrome screen on an VT terminal connected to an VMS server. That was a while ago, you know?

5) I have actually worked in the gaming industry and I have also been helping developing games.

I think this covers the "you appear to have next to no knowledge" bit. Now, if you want, we can move onto discussing the actual points I stated, if you think you have anything to contribute to the discussion.

I ll totally give you that, you level superfast now.

That's not what I meant when referring to the gear-grind. What I meant was two things. One, the game is very gear-centric. The second one is, that's pretty much the only thing you are doing at level cap. It all revolves around gear and getting your next tier.

I expect a quality game to give me something a bit more complex and interesting to do. Not many games do, I know, but I also said that actual quality games are rare.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Originally posted by htiger23

Originally posted by Socman75

Originally posted by pragues

...snip...

The income in 2010 for WOW alone was way over 1.4 billion dollars. (up from 1.1 in 2009).

And the average critical acclaim on the web = 91.46 %. far more than any other MMO. (29 reviews average).

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/971498-world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/index.html

So your opinion stands pretty much in a desert compared to what the reviews say.

I have no idea why you would lie about thoseCata  sales though as ... they are only the sales numbers of the first day ...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm

49 fluff marketing reviews ripped apart by user reviews.

It is funny how many of the reviews mention WoW's success with sub numbers.  Numbers that Blizzard admits in their footnotes are only account numbers and not sub numbers.

Cataclysm's retail sales:  http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/38102/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/

Pretty much reflects those that "had to buy it", those that bought it on "marketing", and the drop off at the realization there was no point.  12 mil accounts, and barely a quarter have purchased it, eh?  It is odd that it only shows 3.4 mil sold in 10 weeks when Blizzard claims 3.3 mil sold in the first 24 hours, eh?  Perhaps accounting for digital sales not reflected in the other numbers?  Perhaps accounting for that magical Blizzard accounting that takes place in general?

As to revenue, Activision Blizzard's revenue was down for 2010 compared to 2009.  Much of that was offset by layofffs and cost cutting endeavors to reduce the hit they would take closing out the year, still ending up losing $233m in the 4th quarter (which would include that magical release of Cataclysm and continued sales of Black Ops).

So you can continue to push the McDonald's sells a lot of burgers so it must mean quality thing all you want - nobody is listening these days...

Well said VirusD...well said....Pragues loves to post obscure websites that only supports his point of view....thanks for this stuff Virus nice find.

As a financial analyst, I love comments like the following:

Perhaps accounting for that magical Blizzard accounting that takes place in general?

You do realize that being part of a publicly traded company places a lot of scrutiny on your company, right?  Wall Street analysts / government / internal and external auditors all pick apart the numbers that go into their press and earnings releases, so you can be assured that everything is correct.  You can hate on Blizzard as much as you want, that is apparently what you enjoy, but don't call their accounting practices into question if you don't have solid proof.

{Mod edit}  Blizzard does have responsibilities in honestly reporting THEIR EARNINGS AND PROFITS, there is nothing that says that they can't be fuzzy with the wording that they use in their advertising.  Saying that there is 12 million players is fine, because there have been 12 million accounts opened, but that does not mean that all of those accounts are open.  The claim also does not have to take into account all of the players with multiple accounts, or the number of accounts in China, namely the ones used by gold farming businesses.

{Mod edit}

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

wow ha never been a good game amongst the experienced gameing population, thats right im talking about the gamers that come from other games before wow. ask them all. some will say wow is ok some will say wow is good, but none of them will say its fantastic or fabulous or the best game they have ever played lol

infact the vast majority of them that have actually tried wow also stopped playing wow includeing myself. i was gameing for a few years before wow and when the game was launched like all new games i had a look!! and to my satisfaction                i was content that wow was not better than any previous games i had played but was ifact much worse.

hell they have had to remake that game twice now, its not a good game if it has to be remade!!! that means the game is crap sure it may well of had 12 million sales lol  but i can pretty much assure you it doesnt have 12 million subscribers.

just as many people stop playing wow as they do start. obviously the lifers cant stop subbing so when they stop playing they are not discounted from the overall subscription numbers. the figures are bogus.

wow is crap take it from some one that knows mmogames pretty darn well.

all the wow fan boys need to go out and try other games and get a feel for the mmo world before you go round spouting off your joys of love and happiness for your first online game ever played.

and who in their right mind would part with 100 bucks,pounds or what ever to play a game thats like how old now. like i said its been remade twice. it really isnt worth paying for.

i wont ever life sub, reason is the copyright owners reserve the right to change all content at any time without due warning, in essence loveing one game could become hateing another game a year later with the same title. hope that makes sence ;)  a firm example of good game gone tterribly terribly bad is starwars galaxies. but i hate to say this its still better than wow lol

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Why was this thread even made?  If you don't like it and don't want to play it, what do you care what they charge?

It will never go F2P.  Most F2P games aren't really F2P. It will likely drone on for many years after the popularity has waned, just like the original EQ. It will still be going when Blizzard moves on to something else, like World of Starcraft. image

"This late in the game" is an irrelevant phrase. It is still the most popular MMORPG out there, regardless of your own opinion. People don't have to have all the expansions to play. They will have a huge amount to keep them busy for a long time by just buying the battlechest, and getting the original game and the Burning Crusade expansion. You don't need to buy the other two expansions.You can always buy them later.  The $100 if for 6 years of content, for people that NEED to have all of them just to start.  You know, the obsessive/compulsive people. They charge that, because they can. 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Adamai

hell they have had to remake that game twice now, its not a good game if it has to be remade!!! that means the game is crap sure it may well of had 12 million sales lol  but i can pretty much assure you it doesnt have 12 million subscribers.

just as many people stop playing wow as they do start. obviously the lifers cant stop subbing so when they stop playing they are not discounted from the overall subscription numbers. the figures are bogus.

wow is crap take it from some one that knows mmogames pretty darn well.

all the wow fan boys need to go out and try other games and get a feel for the mmo world before you go round spouting off your joys of love and happiness for your first online game ever played.

and who in their right mind would part with 100 bucks,pounds or what ever to play a game thats like how old now. like i said its been remade twice. it really isnt worth paying for.

i wont ever life sub, reason is the copyright owners reserve the right to change all content at any time without due warning, in essence loveing one game could become hateing another game a year later with the same title. hope that makes sence ;)  a firm example of good game gone tterribly terribly bad is starwars galaxies. but i hate to say this its still better than wow lol

What the hell was this post actually about?? Re-made twice??? "Life Sub" to WoW??? Was there actually anything in there that made any sense at all???

On the experience front, before WoW i had subbed to and played Earth & Beyond from Beta, AO and EvE for two years (two subs at one time) and personally from my own play style WoW is by far the best out there at the moment and contrary to popular belief by far the best social experience i have had, probably apart from E&B which of course is long gone.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Geussing OP never really played games from 1998.

And oh it doesn't cost you anything to start playing WoW all you have to do is download the free trail before you buy.

But then again why would you want to spend any money on a game you feel looks like it's out-dated, kinda makes this whole topic kinda foolish. 

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Is everyone forgetting about China?  They have ALOT of WoW's subs.....They are only on WRath though :) sooooooooooooo

I WIN

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

guess i wal lucky then. i got basic WoW for like $30 in 2007 burning crusade was christmas gift and lich king for only $20 from mis price mistake"thanks gamestop lol" still need cataclysm though.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by mklinic

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by EagleDelta2

I'm not sure about DDO's prices, but when I referred to getting "Full Access" - that means getting access to all the content in the game, things like GW's Character slots, Skill Unlock Packs, Storage Expansion don't count as they are entirely optional and don't add to the content at all.  

GW's content cost:

Amazon - $48.38 +S&H

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $8.40

GW: Bouns Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Steam - 69.97

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $29.99

GW: Bonus Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Keep in mind there is no Sub either, so that's it either way it's about the cost of a current game to get GW and all it's content.

Not entirely all of the content, you forgot about the unlock packs (7 x £7 each), extra character slots @ £7 each, PvP access kits etc, etc.....

I think he explicitly mentioned that, but to that note, you naturally factored in flying ponies and vanity pets from the pet shop for WoW's price right? ;)

$29.99 for all four.    The complete collection

Or for 10 bucks more if you don't want to wait on shipping. A Wal-Mart near you might have it for 39.99. I've seen it other places as low as 19 bucks.

Can't believe people would still pay 70 bucks for Guild Wars + all xpacs.   Also just to add. You absolutely and positively do not need any unlock pack. It' really isn't that hard to run one character through the entire game (who wouldn't atleast once) so that you can fast travel and capture skills with that character for any of your other characters. When you capture a skill it unlocks the skill for your entire account. Not just the character capturing it.

The unlocks are for those who don't want to do that. Absolutely and completely optional. Can't believe they have actually  suckered people into buy those skill unlocks.  I mean it's literally as simple as running a single character through all campaigns. Who wouldn't do that anyways? So you can fast travel with him.  That makes spur of the moment skill caps for other characters take 10 minutes tops.  

Do people not search anymore before they make a purchase?  Sorry just that it is the second time on these forums, in a short time span, that I have seen people totally oblivious to T.C.C..

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by pepsi1028

Is everyone forgetting about China?  They have ALOT of WoW's subs.....They are only on WRath though :) sooooooooooooo

I WIN

I'm guessing you skipped to the end of this thread without reading it.

YOU LOSE

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

As you can see from this thread op the community is one of the worst and the graphics are out dated.  Don't spend your money on it.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

Hello mate.

Allow me to count how much the game+expansions costs well atleast here in my city:

Vanilla: 12.99, TBC: 14.99, WOTLK: 14.99 and CATA: 18.99. Thats lesser than 100 bucks but it costs alot still, maybe a bit more than a PS3 game. Im counting in Swedish kronor, 12.99 being 129:90 kronor.

You get a free month when you start your account, well atleast i did.

You dont have to buy all the expansions first. Vanilla allows you to level up to 60, and TBC to 70, WOTLK to 80 and finally Cata to 85.

Being a new player, it will take you 3-4 months to finish to 60 i think(no items, no mains, not much clue about fastest way to complete the game..), TBC will take 3 weeks-a month, WOTLK 1-2 months and Cata a month. Well, that is, if you dont have a main ofcourse. I might be wrong here mate, but im pretty sure im right.

So, you have months or atleast a month to finish the game to buy a new expansion, which will ease the payments.

Usually, new players just saves the money and buys all the expansions together, but if you think it costs to much, just buy the start game and skip cinema to save the money for the next 4 months and you have enough cash.

Try the trial first and see if you like it. I still enjoy the game. Beware of getting addicted:) /Sam

Yawn