Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - CryEngine2 MMORPG to rule the world?

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Evasia

Its sad but only thing i see here with this topic is he's trying to promote nvidia only game, sad realy sad these days if AMD/ati not even excist anymore:(

I've never heard of an Nvidia only game. What games don't allow AMD to play?

BTW, AMD doesn't actually exist anymore, it's now all branded AMD.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

nvidia only.. haha you are out of your mind

up

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Anyone suggesting this game is trading solely on grpahics hasnt done any reading.

The feature list is extensive and the demonstrated play in vids promising.

If they deliver on the potetional of what they are aiming for they will get my money without a seconds hesitiation.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Evasia

Its sad but only thing i see here with this topic is he's trying to promote nvidia only game, sad realy sad these days if AMD/ati not even excist anymore:(

What the hell are you smoking?! CryEngine is cross platform and even if it wasnt this is still a very silly statement, since both OpenGL and DirectX API's are fully supported by Nvidia and ATI. There is no such thing as NVidia only games.

• gamespamgamespam Member Posts: 456

I really hope this game is the second coming.....

Not going to get excited until release though.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Originally posted by Romtim

Today we will talk about the new generation in MMORPG, to be precise - about ArcheAge.

To begin, lets name the authors of the game. Archeage is being developed by a Korean company XLGames, which by the way has affiliates in USA.
    (The budget is over 60,000,000$ Based on the company's own money, investitions from Giga-Media and money from selling localization rights to Japan and China. Archeage was also tested on many computers (i tested on 3 different configs myself), and it ran smoothly even being in CBT2. So there is nothing to worry about, because CryTek failed to optimize their game. The game can run good on most configs, the minimum requirment for comfortable play is geforce8500gt and a duo core (tested myself). Do not forget, that the game will be released in the end of 2011 in korea, so you still have plenty of time to enjoy i83 cores and geforces780s :D)

The head of XLGames is Jake Song. He is very known in the circles of MMO development. To be straight, it is his games, that became the first milestone in the evolution of the MMORPG genre. Although there were other developers of course. Jake Song worked on projects like "Nexus", "The Kingdom of the Winds","Lineage", "Lineage 2", "Tabula Rasa", "Aion", etc. Thanks to him, NCSoft published a lot of popular MMORPG's, and became so famous. In the year of 2003, Jake Song left NCSoft, because of some tensions with the direction, and founded his own company "XLGames". He is currently developing the first next-generation MMORPG. The project got named Archeage, and was announced in February 2010. The first closed beta test was successfully completed this summer, and the second - in November.

The developers try to include the best parts of all modern MMORPG's in Archeage:

A huge, detailed game world; Quality graphics; Massive PvP and sieges; interesting quests, which will be based on a big plot rather than regular grind; Raid dungeons; A possibility to build your own houses and towns! Archeage is created as a Sandbox - kind of games, where the player is free to do anything he wants in the game world. There will be a plot of course, but the developers want players to create the most vivid events.

There are 8 races in the world of Archeage: including humans, elves, dwarfs and ferre (Catlike humans). The races are divided to 2 fractions, East and West. A long time ago, all races lived on a single continent, but after a cataclysm, the world got divided. The player enters the game a few thousand years later after the catastrophe. If you follow the quest plot, you will learn the history part by part. To write it and the quests, XLGames hired a famous Korean novelist Jeon Min-Hee. So we can expect a lot from the quest lines.

The most amazing part, is that Archeage is made on CryEngine 2. When you look at high res screenshots, made on high graphic levels, you simply can't believe that THIS will be a MMORPG! The developers already released some video clips showing the physics of the Cry Engine 2. Unfortunately, at this moment, the environment destruction physics are enabled only in instances, while you can still interact with other players in the open world accordingly. If enabled for the whole world, it will open great opportunities for tactics in the genre of MMORPG.

The size of the game world exceeds the size of the world of WoW including all expansions. The interactivity of the world in Archeage is very high. There is a day-night cycle. One should take a torch with him in case he gets caught in a dark place during the night. The developers have promised to implement season cycles. In one of his interviews, Jake Song asked to imagine a lake, created after someone casted a meteor to hit the ground in a battle a week ago. It is possible, that things like this await us in Archeage.

Control of the character is also innovated compared to other games. For example one can fight mounted on his horse, climb walls and trees, ropes and build houses. The trees in Archeage grow independently. They have many stages of growth, and you can see them increase in size in real time. Players can then cut these trees and build a house. You can also plant trees, but its way more fun to cut them down. You can place a scout on the top of a large tree. Then watch your enemies approach and cut the tree down with the scout!

You can read the whole article on aaportal.net here

sounds all good , after reading the first 4 pages in this thread no on seems to have mentioned anything much about this, and i quote," Jake Song asked to imagine a lake, created after someone casted a meteor to hit the ground in a battle a week ago. It is possible, that things like this await us in Archeage. "

so how exactly would this work? is it possible on all 3 continents or just the one where u can build houses etc ? also what happens to the continent if its continually being "bombarded" (by us the players ) wont this create a wasteland thats "ugly"?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Asm0deus

sounds all good , after reading the first 4 pages in this thread no on seems to have mentioned anything much about this, and i quote," Jake Song asked to imagine a lake, created after someone casted a meteor to hit the ground in a battle a week ago. It is possible, that things like this await us in Archeage. "

so how exactly would this work? is it possible on all 3 continents or just the one where u can build houses etc ? also what happens to the continent if its continually being "bombarded" (by us the players ) wont this create a wasteland thats "ugly"?

ArcheAge is still in development so we can't be sure about anything.This feature will may even be deleted during the release...Although,such terrain changes will happen only in the 3rd (North) continent.Also,it doesn't mean that every signle Meteor casted will make a crater,only in some certain spots and some times craters and other terrain changes will be done by players.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

If this a western game, why is it releasing in korea first?

J.Song said at his interview:"From the start of this project, the US and Europe have been key target markets for ArcheAge. We want to make sure that we do everything necessary to ensure the success of ArcheAge in these markets. We do not want to prematurely invite American or European players to the beta test."..So he wants Koreans to test it first and then deliver a finished and a polished MMO to the west.

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I hope the most impressive aspect of this game isn't the CryTek game engine. The rest of the game play is going to be much more important after the first few days. Of course, it could be enough to have a sandbox that (a) has fully realized content, even if the content is mostly a retread of things that have already been seen and (b) works.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I hope the most impressive aspect of this game isn't the CryTek game engine. The rest of the game play is going to be much more important after the first few days. Of course, it could be enough to have a sandbox that (a) has fully realized content, even if the content is mostly a retread of things that have already been seen and (b) works.

Don't take for granted what I will say cause only time will tell,though Its really doubtful that J.Song will deliver an unfished MMO(a) which doesn't work(b).Cause behind ArcheAge there is a very talented developing team,a huge budget and they gonna "test" it first in Korea and then deliver us a finished/polished game.

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

Manasu knows what he is talking about.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

it will be a good role playing game but bad wow playing game.

Generation P

actually it should suit everyone :)

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Originally posted by Manasu

ArcheAge is still in development so we can't be sure about anything.This feature will may even be deleted during the release...Although,such terrain changes will happen only in the 3rd (North) continent.Also,it doesn't mean that every signle Meteor casted will make a crater,only in some certain spots and some times craters and other terrain changes will be done by players.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

If this a western game, why is it releasing in korea first?

J.Song said at his interview:"From the start of this project, the US and Europe have been key target markets for ArcheAge. We want to make sure that we do everything necessary to ensure the success of ArcheAge in these markets. We do not want to prematurely invite American or European players to the beta test."..So he wants Koreans to test it first and then deliver a finished and a polished MMO to the west.

o i hope they dont take this feature out especially if its done somehow like you mentioned. it seems like an interesting feature along with the house/town build !

hmm the more i hear the more i want to try this game lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by inBOIL

it will be a good role playing game but bad wow playing game.

To be honest, I don't see any negative aspects on your post,only positive ones.Recently Rift,which is an expensive copy of WoW, was released and nevertheless there are thousands other MMOGs that are "good wow playing games" why make another one with a 50$-60$ million budget? ArcheAge is mostly influenced by Ultima Online(the core of sandboxes), it is influenced by freedom and by players' will-it's been over a decade since we had such game-.And as RomTim said, ArcheAge will appeal to 'WoW players' too as the 2 continents will be less based on sandbox but more based on PvE/other features.

Ooh! I hope that they dont take this feature out especially if its done somehow like you mentioned. it seems like an interesting feature along with the house/town build !

hmm the more i hear the more i want to try this game lol

I really doubt that they will remove this feature,cause since J.Song talked about in in his interview I guess they will implement it.And if you want to hear more about this game look up this site.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

We want to make sure that we do everything necessary to ensure the success of ArcheAge in these markets.

Ditch the weird alien pink elephant creatures then image

But it does look great and I do wish it well ...

Originally posted by gurugeorge

We want to make sure that we do everything necessary to ensure the success of ArcheAge in these markets.

Ditch the weird alien pink elephant creatures then image

But it does look great and I do wish it well ...

I see your point and actually neither XLGames nor J.Song are stupid..I doubt that they will spent about 60 million dollars to crap content and design.Whatsoever,J.Song is experienced enough with the MMORPG market and he knows what the West wants...Thus we better waitimage.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

This game seriously looks like the perfect sandbox game, in every way. I love the uber graphics, the art style, the crafting, the houses, combat looks ok, man wish it wasn't so long before it goes english image

And where is the AA forum? Srsly?

Originally posted by Neloth

This game seriously looks like the perfect sandbox game, in every way. I love the uber graphics, the art style, the crafting, the houses, combat looks ok, man wish it wasn't so long before it goes english image

And where is the AA forum? Srsly?

There is no official ArcheAge forum in English,only in Korean..The official ArcheAge site for Europe/America is this one.

But they don't update it frequently,though if you want more information about ArcheAge or to discuss about it join here

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Ho hum, another game from a Korean studio.  If it is a good game it will be popular in the east, but flop in the west.  Games made for the Korean market just do not do well here in the west.  Different style of play makes it extremely difficult to make a game that is successful in both markets.

So trumpet all you want, most of us here in the west will just shake our heads at someone who still has to learn.

You're wrong. You imply that all games made by a Korean studios are all the same, which is simply not the case. There are also plenty of Korean games that do very well in the West. They are so popular that Western game developers are now following the business model of Korean games.

exactly

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Heh, second most played MMO in the West according to Xfire is Aion...oO Korean.

Third most played MMO in the West according to Xfire is Silkroad Online..oO..*drumroll*..Korean.

Yes, Korean games are really failing in the West.....image

indeed :D

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I hope this does well. This genre is getting increasingly boring for me.