Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - CryEngine2 MMORPG to rule the world?

Comments

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Entropia Universe uses CE2, im playing it on max settings with an i7-860 and a gtx470. Used to have an GTX260 and could run it on High.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by 6SlipKnoT6

Originally posted by Romtim

Korean company

I ended reading here.

I can't believe you are saying that with so many failed attempts at sandboxes from the west.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

Originally posted by DocProject

People keep mentioning this as a sandbox game but I haven't found out what makes this game similar to or a sandbox?

Housing does not make a game sandbox, it really matters how the housing is implemented. 

i fully agree to that statement. there is a huge difference, if you choose 1 of 3 possible blueprint for your house, put your materials into your inventory, press a button and your house is buildt by magic, OR you put stone on stone and build an exact copy of the Empire State Building, like you could do in Minecraft.

i am far more interested into the overall game mechanics. the modern MMO defined by WoW and EQ2 in 2004, and mostly copied regarding the core since then, is mostly based on: linearity (mainquest, questhubs, ...), refining (everthing is forseeable and calculated in detail by the devs), accessability (nobody will ever fail), conflict-freeness (never deal with whiners anymore), no need for planning and & strategy (just login for 30 min and do what the next NPC tells you), fast paced combat with low tactical requirements (just hack and slay or smash your buttons) and finally skillsets with weaker skills and reduced class diversification (jack of all trades).

i would like to know, if ArchAge also oversuses these paradigms of the modern MMO or some of them. i am sceptical after i saw some videos. but nervetheless ist looks very promising.

I think that if you read J.Song answers to people's question you will understand better.He actually marked ArcheAge "sandboxness" with a "50" in a scale of 100.Grading Wow/themeparks are <10 and Ultima online is 100.Actually it's a bit early to discuss about the houses'/ships' customization.In 1 continent you will be able to build your caste/house wherever you want.You will be able to interact with enviroment,g.e. if you use an AoE spell like "Meteor" a crater will be made at the place you used it and will stay for a long time.You will be able to plant trees and see them grow.Build your own farm outside your house where you will be able to bring animals and use them for gathering materials or whatever and many more features.I mean..you can take part in the world's-or actually the continent's-development and change it in many ways.And I guess this is a basic feature for the sandbox mmos.

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

Exactly, the game will be a sandbox, which gives you a direction of development or so. That is supposed to be 50100 scale of sandboxness. So the game is designed to fit all. Enough to suit sandbox fans, enough to suit wow fans and so on.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Exactly, the game will be a sandbox, which gives you a direction of development or so. That is supposed to be 50100 scale of sandboxness. So the game is designed to fit all. Enough to suit sandbox fans, enough to suit wow fans and so on.

possibly.

I think an issue you will run into is that the sandbox fans might feel it's too confining and the themepark fans might not have any clue as to what they should do.

Heck, recently in LOTRO a player was shouting that he wasn't being directed to quest hubs and had no idea what to do or where to go.

LOTRO.

Personally, I have no problem with 50/50 but I would make sure that you are clear about your audience and that they will like this 50/50 split.

But heck, if the game is polished and fun it might just not matter to some.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

possibly.

I think an issue you will run into is that the sandbox fans might feel it's too confining and the themepark fans might not have any clue as to what they should do.

Heck, recently in LOTRO a player was shouting that he wasn't being directed to quest hubs and had no idea what to do or where to go.

LOTRO.

Personally, I have no problem with 50/50 but I would make sure that you are clear about your audience and that they will like this 50/50 split.

But heck, if the game is polished and fun it might just not matter to some.

I think, that since it is the main problem of such system, it will be reviewed the first one, and they will find a way to suit everyone :)

Although don't get wrong that 50 mark(cause it may seem low)..from what I've seen and read,ArcheAge is gonna be much more sandbox than that "50"...Let me explain.I suppose that J.Song marked ArcheAge's sandboxness with 50 the whole world of the game(all the 3 continents).It is known that in the 2 continents the "sandbox" features are gonna be limited(people will not be able to create castles/and maybe houses,etc.) but that continents will be more focused on the PvE and other content.Although in the 3rd continent where the players will be more free,they will be able to freely PvP,to create their own kingdom/city/village/house or whatever,to change the land by building roads/bridges,to plant trees and many more..So the 3rd continent can be marked with a number MUCH higher than 50 -conecning the "Sandbox" capabilities.While the other 2 continets with a number maybe less than 50

P.S: Sorry if you don't understand anything,it's my english fault!

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

Originally posted by Manasu

Although don't get wrong that 50 mark..from what I've seen and read,ArcheAge is gonna be much more sandbox than that "50"...Let me explain.I suppose that J.Song marked ArcheAge's sandboxness with 50 the whole world of the game(all the 3 continents).It is known that in the 2 continents the "sandbox" features are gonna be limited(people will not be able to create the castles/and may the houses) but that continents will be more focused on the PvE and other content.Although in the 3rd continent where the players will be more free,they will be able to create their own kingdom/city/village/house or whatever,change the land by building roads/bridges,planting trees and many more..So that 3rd continent can marked with a number MUCH higher than 50 -conecning the "Sandbox" capabilities.

P.S: Sorry if you don't understand anything,it's my english fault!

Yeah, that is close to the truth.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

The Art of this game indeed is too beautiful, i mean, it really adds to the immersion, all of them

ArcheAge for one, is on top of my list, but again, i believe this game won't come out soon, i am expecting maybe Q2 of 2012

So What Now?

Originally posted by TweFoju

ArcheAge for one, is on top of my list, but again, i believe this game won't come out soon, i am expecting maybe Q2 of 2012

Hmm yeah I agree,no earlier than Q2 of 2012...Most likely to have the last open beta then and the game be released during Q3 of 2012...

Hmm yeah I agree,no earlier than Q2 of 2012...Most likely to have the last open beta then and the game be released during Q3 of 2012...

The open beta is in q4 of 2011. The release is also in q4 of 2011 or q1 of 2012. The english release is maximum q2 of 2012.

The open beta is in q4 of 2011. The release is also in q4 of 2011 or q1 of 2012. The english release is maximum q2 of 2012.

Yeah right,we were talking about the EU/NA version.Korean next closed beta will be about in a month (April or March) and the open beta,in Korean again, during November.As you said, it's likely for ArcheAge to realease in Korea in q4 of 2011 or q1 of 2012.Although I am not sure about that "maximum" for the EU/NA release on q2 of 2012-cause I guess they will give more time letting us play the betas.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

2012 looks like it could be the year of the MMO for grown ups.

ArcheAge will be online

WoD will be near online

Xsyon will hopefully be in full swing

Darkfall will be re-factored (although I honestly I like the game as it is)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by aleos

exactly, the budget is over 50 million dollars

i don't mean to sound like a butthead but..uh.. so what?

Lots of money means you can license a great engines, like CryEngine, hire talented 3D modellers and experienced programmers and less likely to release an unfinished game due to lack of funds.

With all the games released as of today i think its quite obvious that deep pockets don't really mean anything when your game is poop.  Im not saying this game isn't going to be good and i'm not saying it is.

Originally posted by Yamota

exactly, the budget is over 50 million dollars

i don't mean to sound like a butthead but..uh.. so what?

Lots of money means you can license a great engines, like CryEngine, hire talented 3D modellers and experienced programmers and less likely to release an unfinished game due to lack of funds.

With all the games released as of today i think its quite obvious that deep pockets don't really mean anything when your game is poop.  Im not saying this game isn't going to be good and i'm not saying it is.

What games are you talking about?? I'm sure you talk about the meaningless themepark ones.It's been over a decade since a sandbox-like MMO was released with a proper budget.And when Yamota talked about talented 3d modellers/experienced programmers he/she ment that such people demand a higher-salary and that such people will not deliver a "poop" game as you said,so a big budget is completely crucial for a MMOG,especially if its a sandbox.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

I think that if you read J.Song answers to people's question you will understand better.He actually marked ArcheAge "sandboxness" with a "50" in a scale of 100.Grading Wow/themeparks are <10 and Ultima online is 100.

dont worry, i did watch nearly every piece of info about this game. 

i just said, that there is a wide range what housing could mean. that fits to your 50 of 100 statement. but my point was a different one as i wrote in my post: housing or 50% housing or not housing doesnt matter. a good modern AAA-sandbox should not do the main design mistakes of the so called modern MMOs. and this has nothing to do with housing.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

I think that if you read J.Song answers to people's question you will understand better.He actually marked ArcheAge "sandboxness" with a "50" in a scale of 100.Grading Wow/themeparks are <10 and Ultima online is 100.

dont worry, i did watch nearly every piece of info about this game. 

i just said, that there is a wide range what housing could mean. that fits to your 50 of 100 statement. but my point was a different one as i wrote in my post: housing or 50% housing or not housing doesnt matter. a good modern AAA-sandbox should not do the main design mistakes of the so called modern MMOs. and this has nothing to do with housing.

RIght, I see your point.Actually,as you know,housing is a feature that even some themeparks MMOs have now(Lotro,AoC etc),but it can also be a vital feature for a sandbox MMOs.Also,it may be a bit early to talk about it, but it's obvious that you can take part and affect the world and the enviroment of ArcheAge.You can constuct your own area-build a "kingdom" from scratch,create the flora and fauna and so on-thus you can straigthly affect the world.Hence that players will be allowed to use any type of armor they want and change their "roles" to whatever they want.I guess all of the above can describe a good(?) sandbox MMO.And a about the "good modern AAA-sandbox" I have to merely disagree ,I haven't seen a better sandbox since 1996 when Ultima Online was released.Sandbox MMOs may evolve too much in the future,but I doubt that any of them will get close to UO's "sanboxness"..

check out wyrm online if you talk about sandboxness :)

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

When will you ever learn that good graphics do not mean a good game. In fact they are a warning flag that the game may be shallow.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Joliust

When will you ever learn that good graphics do not mean a good game. In fact they are a warning flag that the game may be shallow.

Not always.

Uncharted 2 anyone?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

never heard of :D

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

If this a western game, why is it releasing in korea first?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Joliust

Not always.

Uncharted 2 anyone?

You nailed it. Uncharted is great!

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Its sad but only thing i see here with this topic is he's trying to promote nvidia only game, sad realy sad these days if AMD/ati not even excist anymore:(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Evasia

Its sad but only thing i see here with this topic is he's trying to promote nvidia only game, sad realy sad these days if AMD/ati not even excist anymore:(

I don't know what you're talking about but all Crytek games and engines have ran fine on BOTH Nvidia and ATI.

Crysis also runs on Xbox, which uses an ATI GPU.

Collector's editions are scams.