Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW community drove me away. How about you?

2»

Comments

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

I left because I just needed a change of scenery. It's a good game, but I am looking forward to SWTOR for my next MMO fix.

In Bioware we trust!

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Playing for six years is what drove me away.

Its a great game.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Originally posted by Epicent

I know it may sound stupid. I mean there is an ignore button. But I'd have to use it every 10 minutes. The game forces you to pug across servers in order to make the progress you need to do raids. (Whens the last time you seen someone spamming that they were looking for a dungeon group in chat?) Now I know you can argue that maybe I should join a good guild that has people that will run them with me, but I actually like meeting new people that are outside my guild. I feel like the majority of the community rips on other games without a proper knowledge of them. I feel like the majority of people that play WoW are ignorant of other mmos period. Its like most of these people are incapable of liking WoW and another game. Like only one can be good. Anyway, the population killed it for me as it is not what it once was. I feel like I'm at an unsupervised Chuck E Cheese when I play the game.

Why should WoW players be interrested in discussing other games? Go to any other mmorpg and start a discussion in broadcast chat about WoW and watch the fur fly....WoW is not unique in this manner, please don't make out that it is, this is standard in any mmorpg community. I'm no saying it's a good thing, but you get the same bitching in every game.

The population of WoW is EXACTLY what it once was, it's ALWAYS been this way, since day 1. Perhaps you have gotten older, but the average player probably hasn't.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

I liked it great until WOTLK, I suffered through the end of that expansion. I play for world pvp and real world competition between players, Raiding and PVE grinding is not anything to me other than killin monsters for drops. Certainly not something I will plan my day around WOTLK ruined World pvp and Cat is probably even worse, not to mention the broken mechanics, and too much emphasis on RAIDing, If I wanted to do that I would go to a game made for raiding like FF, EQ or LOTR. I dont like raiding actually I dont really like raiders that much, these are people I want to kill not spend quality time with. 

• theforzetheforze Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Faelsun

I liked it great until WOTLK, I suffered through the end of that expansion. I play for world pvp and real world competition between players, Raiding and PVE grinding is not anything to me other than killin monsters for drops. Certainly not something I will plan my day around WOTLK ruined World pvp and Cat is probably even worse, not to mention the broken mechanics, and too much emphasis on RAIDing, If I wanted to do that I would go to a game made for raiding like FF, EQ or LOTR. I dont like raiding actually I dont really like raiders that much, these are people I want to kill not spend quality time with. 

WoW aint for you then, cos all you can do is raid & pvp (over & over) ...there is nothing else!

...unless you re-roll & do all the boring quest chains all over again but as another class :P

The Deathstar destroyed planets...SOE destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

over repetitivness and the removal of class uniquness by giving the same apells/abilities to all in order to please everyone is what finaly drove me away.

they started with CC, then pets, then self heals, then Dots, bubbles, stunns, AoE, etc, etc  to the point that now pretty much every class plays almost the same. different animatino, different skill name, but same function.

there is no more playstyles and skill, just gear and fotm class. no thanks.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

It is not a tight knit community like DAoC or SWG pre CU-NGE were ( best communities ever imho :p ), but there are good people.

Of course the way they implemented the qeueuing system, the fast leveling ( you can hardly enjoy an area because you level out of it in a hurry and god forbid if you want to do an instance once in a while ), it is all a bit a mirror of todays society I think. Quick fun, not too much difficulty, not much of a possibility to form good friendships along the way.

It is good and bad. Now I can play an hour of WoW and get something done, on the other hand, during the hours of grinding in DAoC I made many friendships, which helped me later in RvR, in the end I think I knew most high level player from Albion Bors.

In SWG pre CU-NGE everything was about community spirit, creating player cities together, the need for friends ( or strangers ) to buff and heal you. ( Dancers, mucisians, doctors, medics, ... ).

On the other hand, I have meet some people in WoW where I played a whole evening with and it was friendly and relaxed, but I probably won't see them again soon ( other servers ).

I liked the old ways of WoW, where forming up and doing an instance was an effort, and where you made friends along the way. But I also like the easy queueing and instant gratification. And sortoff mindless relaxed fun. ( As opposed to EVE Online for example, which is still a great game, and alot more of an mmorpg then WoW ever will be ).

DAoC and SWG got ruined by the devs because of various reasons while EVE still holds true to its ideals.

But WoW has not really gotten worse, just different and still good imho. Instances are harder again, so that is a good way to form friends from your server ( not easy to pug Heroics ). So you can still make friends on the server and join a good guild. Even tho that allowing to change name, race and realm really diminishes the mmorpg feeling of playing a meaningfull character.

So I like to play WoW, partly because I got many RL friends playing it, also because it does have good gameplay and good immersion ( if you are open to it ) and the instant gratification is both good and bad, I can live with it :p The changing of name, race and realm is something I have to live with.

Regards.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by theforze

Originally posted by Faelsun

WoW aint for you then, cos all you can do is raid & pvp (over & over) ...there is nothing else!

...unless you re-roll & do all the boring quest chains all over again but as another class :P

Can you believe I played WOW from 2005 to patch 3.2. I did as much raiding as I could stand to get some starter gear. Then BG and Arena for player killing stuff. Basically I had had enough fun through the end of Vanilla and BC since world pvp was still a fun thing to do, WOTLK changed all that and turned the game into one big lobby, not to mention the broken class mechanics.

I only played the stupid game in the first place becuase freinds of mine in a few large guilds wanted me to play. Of course they also had to play horde which I didnt want to play, I would have preferred to play a gnome.. actually a gnome on a Elek is the last thing I was going to do before retireing, but because Cata was going to suck soo hard even more hard than WOTLK sucked I decided to F that and retire from the game. I had a few more things I wanted to do in the game but the level of suck they wanted me to tolerate to do it just wasnt worth it.

I didnt play the game til after I retired from UO and was messing with Shadowbane which was ok but had numerous problems on release.. especially on MACs. Actually I WAS going to play Ryzom but got goeded into WOW, but I learned from my mistake, It will be a cold day in hell before I mess with another Carebear raiding for kids game. If the game even has instanced raiding I dont think I will risk playing it. It just attracts a verly lowbrow group of players. Usually kids who cant pvp and adults who never could pvp, people who we used to refer to on UO as farmers or carebears, they just wanted to chop down trees and crap, Instand of growing a spine the all fled to games that cater to monster killing. the laughable thing is that these professional monster killers try to refer to themselves as hardcore, .. a player group who I have always known as rude cowards.

You play a game where you can freely murder bastards you wont have to put up with the attitudes that much. just ask anyone who talks crap on a full loot pvp mmorpg, or even EVE, they dont last long. Good behavior is rewarded with no public humiliation in most cases.

• wykydwykyd Member UncommonPosts: 43

The community has been in decline since vanilla.  Leetism and disregard for others is almost the norm today, while in vanilla there was a real sense of camaraderie.

This combined with the endless hamster-wheel-of-gear-sets was enough for me to finally quit WoW.  But I must mention that the realization my time was up clearly dawned on me when I was given a quest to steal from my fellow NPC citizens of Stomwind.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

My favorite part of the game was the social aspect.  All the people I played with in this game and others were quitting.  Game was getting stale in that yes, there are new expansions and raids, but it's still WoW.

Less and less friends that were not in my guild had quit, changed servers, changed factions, or something else.  I had no real problem with the community as a whole.  The whole dirge thing and anything similar were annoying, but you have to expect that on the interwebs anywhere.

Did I run pug dungeons and run into people that went afk at the start, were really bad at the game, or total douchebags?  Of course.  But as I just said, there are people like that anywhere.  Having more people in a game just means a bigger chance of running into them.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Nope, I got into a great casual, mature raiding guild a few years ago. I play with those 30-40 people and rarely play with anyone else other than randomly running across people when questing, farming or PUGging... I promptly put anyone that annoys me on my ignore list and move on. I am sure that with 12+ million people playing there are an inordinate amount of various sorts of undesirables in the WoW community, but they only bother you as much as you let them for the most part...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

over repetitivness and the removal of class uniquness by giving the same apells/abilities to all in order to please everyone is what finaly drove me away.

they started with CC, then pets, then self heals, then Dots, bubbles, stunns, AoE, etc, etc  to the point that now pretty much every class plays almost the same. different animatino, different skill name, but same function.

there is no more playstyles and skill, just gear and fotm class. no thanks.

I think thats been the problem with MMOs as of late, every class does everything.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

Hi friend.

Are you sure you play the right server? Im on a ally populated server and theres alot of nice and social people not taking everything so serious.

And theres, sadly, some bad servers to. My hordie plays on it, everyones unsocial, wont agree with other, and tries to be as Athene1337 someone can be. Sadly the WoW forums are filled with these kids of people plus alot of whiners.

And, the funny thing is, that i play in one guild filled with fun social people talking about life and another guild filled with serious 1337 people, and they are almost excatly like, when it comes to raids and progress.

Yawn

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

Im not sure why everyone thinks Rift is this magical replacement for WOW.  Someone on here said WOW lost it's charm, well, I hate to break it to you, Rift has very little charm.  It has a fun play mechanic with the rifts, invasions and it's character custiomizations, but the PVE quests seem like a throwback to the old EQI quest "vending machines."   The continent is tiny and the writing isnt that great.  There are only two starting areas so everyone is literally on top of each other...and be prepared to do the same exact quests over and over again no matter what race/soul you choose.   It really has nothing for those of us who enjoy a lot of exploration on top of our RPG-ing.  :)

To me, dropping WOW for Rift is kind of like opting in for the trip to Disneyland, LA when you could go tour the entire contient of New Zealand instead.

I really think Rift is going to be the rest area until the next best MMORPG comes out.   And yes, I played it over the weekend and made it past level 10 and while it was fun, it felt like a lot of empty calories compared to WOW.  It's pretty much my second RPG next to WOW.

Of course, I must admit that I have just re-started playing wow after a four year hiatus....so a lot of it is new to me.   But from what I've seen of the guild my brother is in, there are still well organized guilds out there.  I think the problem is, there is a saturation of guilds, so finding the right one for you may take a little more legwork than usual.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think a lot of people here underestimate just how many people have left wow and how large that market is and how untapped it has been.

Rift doesn't have to replace wow for tons of current wow players.  There are tons of former wow players who could enjoy playing a similar game with enough differences to be fun.  A game doesn't need to recreate the wheel to make an entertaining product.  I think there are a lot of people who are happy just to see a new game that is polished, functional and with a different world to play in. 

I don't think everyone who is burned out on wow is going to require a completely different game from top to bottom to enjoy it.  Most shooters are clones of each other and they do just fine. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Every friend starts out a stranger.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I agree that Cataclysm was a let down. I'm just glad Rift is on the way.

Rift is another let down unfortunately

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Daffid011

I meet plenty of nice people and few asshats.  Perhaps that is because I don't feel that I am "forced" to do one thing or another.  I can group with random people from other servers and have a good time or people on my own server. 
    Wow has an incredibly diverse playerbase and if you can't find some like minded people to play with then maybe the problem does rest with millions of other players.  

I didn't say I could not find like minded people. What I did say is that the game forces you to group with random people you do not know. This makes for no reprucussions for ninja looters etc.

it doesnt force you to group up with ppl u dont know, u can always group with guildies and friends