Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't SE just give up?

13»

Comments

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I just don't understand why you would want them to "give up".  It sounds like your jaded and want SE to close up shop so that you don't have to be reminded that a game came out that you feel was a waste of money.

SE won't close up FFXIV, or make it go F2P like I have seen people suggest.  They will take player feedback and improve the game, after which they will release the PS3 version, who is a large part of their target market with this title.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sell thi game to a mmo developer who knows what there doing.

Edgar F Greenwood

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

The reason they don't give up because the game is a really amazing game. It had some shortcomings because it was pushed out too early, but with a new team in the works the game has vastly improved. Went from being pretty good to great and soon with more content coming it will be a big time MMO.

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by braingame007

The reason they don't give up because the game is a really amazing game. It had some shortcomings because it was pushed out too early, but with a new team in the works the game has vastly improved. Went from being pretty good to great and soon with more content coming it will be a big time MMO.

Please elaborate. I would love to hear your view as to how this game has changed from "had some shortcomings" to "vastly improved" in the few short months it has been out.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

They only way this game succeeds is f2p and a relaunch. ddo and lotro did and suceeded.

Edgar F Greenwood

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

It's ok for you to be wrong Huskerman. Just thought I should tell you that. :)

So how has the game vastly improved? UI lag it pretty much non existent, SP/EXP system has been revamped, market wards are constantly being worked on and has been made into a AH like system now, they added something equivalent to HNMs from FFXI (more or less the lower tier ones like Serket), They added recipe lists for crafting, couple of "/" based commands such as "/clock" or "/display head on/off"  ( /clock now tells you when leves reset, tells you when you get your next anima points and tells you when the behests are), the Leve system has been adjusted to allow linking of leves for greater SP/EXP gains, Anima costs to cities cut in half and you can now set 3 camps as favorites and the anima costs are halved for those, Improvements to Gathering and stack sizes, 3D battle text, increased map functionality and refresh rates, added Field of View to the minimap character icon, I forgot to mention along with NMs they have NM leves which allows to obtain a named token that you can trade in for high end gear, they brought back Goblins, massive changes to UI, another retainer, bigger inventory, SP needed to rank up lowered from ranks 11-31 originally and then later adjusted for levels 32-34 or 35 to make the drop off not so steep, class fixes and the list goes on and on .

Some of those are pretty big changes and some of them are small but all together the game has drastically improved and the only thing missing is content, which is beeing addressed starting in March. I expect there to be another patch this month that lays more groundwork for upcoming content patches. Check these 2 links out posted by the new director one is the poll result he made for the players, and the other is what is to be expected in the coming months of play.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=46e03f76722239ffa01960aba398e4034b898102

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=a2387769397519f9817e3aff3415f82184c907bc

I hope this is enough to appease you I didn't say a single damn thing about World of Warcraft.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Lohdown

Please elaborate. I would love to hear your view as to how this game has changed from "had some shortcomings" to "vastly improved" in the few short months it has been out.

While I won't say it's amazing, I will say that the game has more potential than pretty much every other MMORPGs here except for GW2. They have a fantastic base to work with; the main problem with the game at this point is its devastating lack of content. Unlike other companies, however, SE actually has the resources to fix something like this.

<3

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

SE will never give up! They'll proly make a new FF MMO and let this one die out. :) I'm no hater, I bought the freaking game and was in beta..

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

In Japan, if you lose you're job, then you're a very good candidate for suicide.

It reminded me of Greenspan's statement nearly a decade ago when he spoke of the Japanese relucatance to terminate jobs and how they suffered economically because of it.

I'm sure that for a few of the people on the team the eventual partial-quasi-kind-of success is a life or death thing.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

It's ok for you to be wrong Huskerman. Just thought I should tell you that. :)

So how has the game vastly improved? UI lag it pretty much non existent, SP/EXP system has been revamped, market wards are constantly being worked on and has been made into a AH like system now, they added something equivalent to HNMs from FFXI (more or less the lower tier ones like Serket), They added recipe lists for crafting, couple of "/" based commands such as "/clock" or "/display head on/off"  ( /clock now tells you when leves reset, tells you when you get your next anima points and tells you when the behests are), the Leve system has been adjusted to allow linking of leves for greater SP/EXP gains, Anima costs to cities cut in half and you can now set 3 camps as favorites and the anima costs are halved for those, Improvements to Gathering and stack sizes, 3D battle text, increased map functionality and refresh rates, added Field of View to the minimap character icon, I forgot to mention along with NMs they have NM leves which allows to obtain a named token that you can trade in for high end gear, they brought back Goblins, massive changes to UI, another retainer, bigger inventory, SP needed to rank up lowered from ranks 11-31 originally and then later adjusted for levels 32-34 or 35 to make the drop off not so steep, class fixes and the list goes on and on .

Some of those are pretty big changes and some of them are small but all together the game has drastically improved and the only thing missing is content, which is beeing addressed starting in March. I expect there to be another patch this month that lays more groundwork for upcoming content patches. Check these 2 links out posted by the new director one is the poll result he made for the players, and the other is what is to be expected in the coming months of play.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=46e03f76722239ffa01960aba398e4034b898102

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=a2387769397519f9817e3aff3415f82184c907bc

I hope this is enough to appease you I didn't say a single damn thing about World of Warcraft.

Its doesnt matter the damage is done braingame, Like i said in order for this game to suceeed they need to make this a free to play and relaunch. All the perks your talking about now should have been put in the game well before the release. Make the game playable. 14 was not. Make the game accessible 14 was not . Ive played alot  of mmo since leaving ff11. And i dont have to fire up a WIki everytime i want to loggon and play. Sqaure messed up big and it might be to late. F2p and relaunch i see is the only way they will fix this.

Edgar F Greenwood

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by huskerman34

Its doesnt matter the damage is done braingame, Like i said in order for this game to suceeed they need to make this a free to play and relaunch. All the perks your talking about now should have been put in the game well before the release. Make the game playable. 14 was not. Make the game accessible 14 was not . Ive played alot  of mmo since leaving ff11. And i dont have to fire up a WIki everytime i want to loggon and play. Sqaure messed up big and it might be to late. F2p and relaunch i see is the only way they will fix this.

FFXIV doesn't need to go F2P to relaunch - they'll get to do that automatically once the PS3 version is ready. It should also be noted that game quality tends to decrease rather sharply when going F2P, which is the last FFXIV needs right now, after so much progress has been made. Pulling a bait and switch like this WOULD bury the game really quickly. As it stands, there's still room to save their subscriptions numbers as long as they don't do anything too silly.

<3

Originally posted by dreamscaper

FFXIV doesn't need to go F2P to relaunch - they'll get to do that automatically once the PS3 version is ready. It should also be noted that game quality tends to decrease rather sharply when going F2P, which is the last FFXIV needs right now, after so much progress has been made. Pulling a bait and switch like this WOULD bury the game really quickly. As it stands, there's still room to save their subscriptions numbers as long as they don't do anything too silly.

I think your wrong about F2p , but you have some solid points. F2p has been prosperoues for turbine so much that there is been an increase in revenue and monthly subscription. Its been so sucessful that many games are becoming f2p. F2p will be the future. Turbine suceeds where Square fails and that is taking care of thier gamers. The look out for there players, reward there players, and therefore they suceed. Bait and switch wouldnt bury the game like 14 since its supposed to be so deep. It would lure the player in when they see Free. Give them a taste of the game and then Bam when they figure out that it would be cheaper to become a monthly subscriber they subscribe. Its sounds scandoulus but its brillant!

Edgar F Greenwood

• ciidciid Member UncommonPosts: 184

[quote]I think your wrong about F2p , but you have some solid points. F2p has been prosperoues for turbine so much that there is been an increase in revenue and monthly subscription. Its been so sucessful that many games are becoming f2p. F2p will be the future. Turbine suceeds where Square fails and that is taking care of thier gamers. The look out for there players, reward there players, and therefore they suceed. Bait and switch wouldnt bury the game like 14 since its supposed to be so deep. It would lure the player in when they see Free. Give them a taste of the game and then Bam when they figure out that it would be cheaper to become a monthly subscriber they subscribe. Its sounds scandoulus but its brillant![/quote]

Uh... no. Turbine's games are fake F2P. Sure, you can play the game without getting yourself a premium account (IOW: Subscribe) but the alternative is a lot worse: namely, you buy the game bit by bit. Paying for expansion packs is one thing -- paying for quest zones and classes is a different beast. Turbine has succeed because they lured everyone into their trap and there was enough people that wanted to try out LOTRO and DDO that they prospered from it. Eventually, they'll kill their own golden goose.

As for FFXIV.... It just needs more time. The new development staff is apparently on the right track. Once they get their stuff together, the PS3 launch will be enough of a big deal that SE will have a shot at redemption.

Originally posted by ciid

[quote]I think your wrong about F2p , but you have some solid points. F2p has been prosperoues for turbine so much that there is been an increase in revenue and monthly subscription. Its been so sucessful that many games are becoming f2p. F2p will be the future. Turbine suceeds where Square fails and that is taking care of thier gamers. The look out for there players, reward there players, and therefore they suceed. Bait and switch wouldnt bury the game like 14 since its supposed to be so deep. It would lure the player in when they see Free. Give them a taste of the game and then Bam when they figure out that it would be cheaper to become a monthly subscriber they subscribe. Its sounds scandoulus but its brillant![/quote]

Uh... no. Turbine's games are fake F2P. Sure, you can play the game without getting yourself a premium account (IOW: Subscribe) but the alternative is a lot worse: namely, you buy the game bit by bit. Paying for expansion packs is one thing -- paying for quest zones and classes is a different beast. Turbine has succeed because they lured everyone into their trap and there was enough people that wanted to try out LOTRO and DDO that they prospered from it. Eventually, they'll kill their own golden goose.

As for FFXIV.... It just needs more time. The new development staff is apparently on the right track. Once they get their stuff together, the PS3 launch will be enough of a big deal that SE will have a shot at redemption.

Dont hate cuz they suceeded. It may be a ploy, but a ploy with benifits. Turbine knows how to take care of there customers . And its that sole reason they suceeed in the F2p. Its the most benifical  F2p game out there. With all these mmo coming out , 14 may be out of time. Even with a PS3 if it ever gets released will make no difference.

Edgar F Greenwood

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dreamscaper 

Moving a game from P2P to F2P doesn't lower it's quality as such, but it often gets more expensive to play it at the same level as before. Playing it without paying anything often suck but that isn't a fair comparision.

You do have a really good point with the PS3 launch, it will be the make or break of this game. If they fix the game up so it is really good on PS3 it will sooner or later clear the games name with PC players as well.

But if they messes it up too the game is doomed... Dooooomed!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

If the game went to a F2P cash shop model, Id drop it in a heart beat.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• dankiddankid Member Posts: 50

The game is already F2P and still there is no reason to play.  I have a pretty good feeling that the PS3 version WONT even be launched.  They are just way too far behind to even salvage this thing. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

They only way this game succeeds is f2p and a relaunch. ddo and lotro did and suceeded.

There is no successful P2W game.   However, if you mean that they are the best P2W option I don't think anyone would disagree.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Ohnestly unless they totally change the game style and make it more like ffxi then the game is hopeless and they should just work on Dragon Quest mmo.

• AlleyiaAlleyia Member Posts: 18

I think they can make it better each update. 

The new producer seems to be really great and also has lot's of experience with MMOs (western MMOs aswell).

And if i look at the list of what things they want to add... wow!

A new and improved UI, quests, endgame Raids and low level Raids... it seems like they're doing it right now, though I'm sad they didn't do it from the beginning <.<

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The new producer doesn't seem that good honestly, but he has quite a large team working on the game so at least there will be lots of needed changes coming up.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by nomss

Why don't they just apologize once more and move on to a different project.
    You know what, it's just that I feel sorry for SE. I mean the devs must have worked hard, it wasn't like the devs come in for their shift and they are like "OMG this game sucks."
    And now they are trying so hard again, but I feel only to fail even harder.

It's their own fault. They outsourced thier experienced Devs for some college age talent. And that talent worked thier "magic" and with the help of the clueless suits at SE, drove this game and the name brand to the ground.

Wow look they saved alot of money when cutting back on the employee side. I see alot of companies (in all businesses) do this to look at all the profit they made on that Quarter to look good on the Stock Market.

For some reason it works for SoE to push out unfinished product but at least it's somewhat functional and playable. SE pushed this game out way too soon. It seemed like it was still in its pre-alpha stage when I bought it.