Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - CryEngine2 MMORPG to rule the world?

Comments

• DocProjectDocProject Member Posts: 49

People keep mentioning this as a sandbox game but I haven't found out what makes this game similar to or a sandbox?

Housing does not make a game sandbox, it really matters how the housing is implemented. For example you are supposed to be able to build multiple houses and form a town but what does that mean? Does the town offer anything additional that a personal house wont? Are the towns open to attack? Can they be built anywhere? 

I can't find much information on the games website and what I can find is very limited....EDIT: It seems there are two websites, one with just a little information (http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros) and one with more information (http://archeage-online.com/). I am still going over the better website to find whatever other information I can.

I also cannot decipher the class system that talks about combining 3 out of 10 abilities to create your own class. Can these be changed? Can new abilities be learned and can you change them? How do you learn these abilities?

How is pvp implemented? Is it open pvp or is it faction or clan based? Is there player looting? Are there safe zones?

How is the economy setup?

There are just more question than answers from what I can find. Since this is supposed to be a major budget AAA game that people keep referring to as sandbox (including the developer) I would love to know what makes it sandbox. Anyone out there that can enlighten me please?

• RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

Originally posted by DocProject

People keep mentioning this as a sandbox game but I haven't found out what makes this game similar to or a sandbox?

Housing does not make a game sandbox, it really matters how the housing is implemented. For example you are supposed to be able to build multiple houses and form a town but what does that mean? Does the town offer anything additional that a personal house wont? Are the towns open to attack? Can they be built anywhere? 

I can't find much information on the games website and what I can find is very limited....EDIT: It seems there are two websites, one with just a little information (http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros) and one with more information (http://archeage-online.com/). I am still going over the better website to find whatever other information I can.

I also cannot decipher the class system that talks about combining 3 out of 10 abilities to create your own class. Can these be changed? Can new abilities be learned and can you change them? How do you learn these abilities?

How is pvp implemented? Is it open pvp or is it faction or clan based? Is there player looting? Are there safe zones?

How is the economy setup?

There are just more question than answers from what I can find. Since this is supposed to be a major budget AAA game that people keep referring to as sandbox (including the developer) I would love to know what makes it sandbox. Anyone out there that can enlighten me please?

Well first of all.

A town is a connection of buildings, that  have different functions. So a complete town has everything you will need and can be built almost anywhere (except city squares, and so on). If you build on the northern continent - you are free to build your castle anywhere you want, place your walls anywhere you want, declare controls of the land and other people can siege you. To look for information, you should have read the article to the end. - Visit http://www.aaportal.net it has all the information you will need and could get on the game. Yes you can change between abilities while you play for a payment to an NPC or so. About the pvp, everything is in one - You can kill everyone you see, but you still participate in realm vs realm conflicts. There are no safe zones.  And to learn more - visit http://www.aaportal.net

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

And thus began the "Buy a new computer instead of complaining" debate. Can't people post articles anymore without someone slapping them in the face for not having a computer capable of running "Everything, even if they don't plan on playing Everything"?

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

The average "gamer"(as defined by someone who buys at least 2 or 3 games a year as thier main source of entertainment) will upgrade their computer about once every 2 to 3 years. They might not upgrade to the absolute best top end machine at that time, however, upgrading to a slightly above average gaming computer every 2 to 3 years is not that expensive. Most games are developed with this in mind. Most developers do create a dumbed down graphical version of their games for the people who simply cant afford even this small price, however, there will always be that segment of the population that insist on being able to play a game on Ultra graphics settings while being too cheap to buy a machine that can run those settings. These are the ones that have a tendancy to complain the most about not being able to play a game at a decent frame rate.

• AnonymousMeAnonymousMe Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Nasa

I guess that why they beta test it in Korea first, as the Koreans dont have so many shit PC's

You're right, most Koreans don't have a PC period. That's why they have to sit in cafe's while we sit in the comfort of our own home.

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by Romtim

*snip...About the pvp, everything is in one - You can kill everyone you see, but you still participate in realm vs realm conflicts. There are no safe zones.  And to learn more - visit http://www.aaportal.net

Is it FFA PVP?

• romrotsromrots Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by just2duh

Originally posted by Agoden

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.

I only say that because they tend to also have top of the line rigs just for the bragging rights in my experience.

Yes. People go out and buy/build $2000 computers so they can "brag" about it to random internet idiots.

Perfect sense.

That does not make.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by DocProject

Housing does not make a game sandbox, it really matters how the housing is implemented. 

i fully agree to that statement. there is a huge difference, if you choose 1 of 3 possible blueprint for your house, put your materials into your inventory, press a button and your house is buildt by magic, OR you put stone on stone and build an exact copy of the Empire State Building, like you could do in Minecraft.

i am far more interested into the overall game mechanics. the modern MMO defined by WoW and EQ2 in 2004, and mostly copied regarding the core since then, is mostly based on: linearity (mainquest, questhubs, ...), refining (everthing is forseeable and calculated in detail by the devs), accessability (nobody will ever fail), conflict-freeness (never deal with whiners anymore), no need for planning and & strategy (just login for 30 min and do what the next NPC tells you), fast paced combat with low tactical requirements (just hack and slay or smash your buttons) and finally skillsets with weaker skills and reduced class diversification (jack of all trades).

i would like to know, if ArchAge also oversuses these paradigms of the modern MMO or some of them. i am sceptical after i saw some videos. but nervetheless ist looks very promising.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I never cared much about graficks but i must admit they did some seriosu shit  in there. AI am most impressed with all the other things players can do as u said... I just hope they manage to finish their product soon so we can taste it.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

exactly, the budget is over 50 million dollars

i don't mean to sound like a butthead but..uh.. so what?

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Agoden

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.

haha, maybe )

Although people underestimate how good the CryEngine is I think. It scales very well to low-end systems.

People just always expect to run on MAX! lol

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

For me Tera seems to have better graphics and combat but this will be a sandbox game. building cities, ships etc is cool Of course we saw that with Vanguard and it didn't help this game. It all depends on how polished the game will be.

ArcheAge > ALL for graphics right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4_n84GjVI

The gameplay videos look far less good though.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by bastionix

For me Tera seems to have better graphics and combat but this will be a sandbox game. building cities, ships etc is cool Of course we saw that with Vanguard and it didn't help this game. It all depends on how polished the game will be.

Never seen such a beautiful game, it's the best looking game, not even MMO for me.

The gameplay videos look less good though.

True, not sure how someone can even compare TERA with ArcheAge graphics wise. Thanks for the trailer.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by aleos

exactly, the budget is over 50 million dollars

i don't mean to sound like a butthead but..uh.. so what?

Lots of money means you can license a great engines, like CryEngine, hire talented 3D modellers and experienced programmers and less likely to release an unfinished game due to lack of funds.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Sure, it looks pretty, but so did Age of Conan. If the pop was higher, I'd still be playing that game, I found it to be very immersive, something I find MMO's lack. ArcheAge looks very interesting, but it's a long way off yet though sadly.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

i've seen videos of this game that looked quite ugly, so i'm guessing the graphics are very scalable.  I think sometimes people forget that facet, and think its an end-all or be-all.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by bastionix

The gameplay videos look far less good though.

From th9iis video Tera looks just as good. From other movies on youtube Teras character detail> Archage.. Archage seems to have higher view distance.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

lol, thats right, they are designing a game that nobody will be able to play.  Seriously!  Do you really believe that they would invest this kind of money for a game that nobody will be able to run?  Quit the 'pre-whining' and wait til actual data is available.

I self identify as a monkey.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Looks and sound good. I am very interested in this title but is too soon to get excited about this title. Open beta is set to Nov in Korea so don´t expect this one hit west market before late 2012.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Ho hum, another game from a Korean studio.  If it is a good game it will be popular in the east, but flop in the west.  Games made for the Korean market just do not do well here in the west.  Different style of play makes it extremely difficult to make a game that is successful in both markets.

So trumpet all you want, most of us here in the west will just shake our heads at someone who still has to learn.

• oramiooramio Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

lol, thats right, they are designing a game that nobody will be able to play.  Seriously!  Do you really believe that they would invest this kind of money for a game that nobody will be able to run?  Quit the 'pre-whining' and wait til actual data is available.

Exactly, a company throwing out 60million dollars to trashbin? comeon guys, I also have suspicions about their promises and will wait until there is a free trial or open beta close to release to get a taste before purchasing, but it is funny to think that you'll need a NASA computer to play the game. It will not be possible to play on highest settings for most of the players for sure, but I think on med settings, it will be quite fine on tons of computers.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The graphics from the videos I've seen look pretty good. The gameplay looks mind numbingly boring though. There's very little information on what there is to do and why it will be fun to play, beyond that it's written using the CryEngine2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Ozmodan

So trumpet all you want, most of us here in the west will just shake our heads at someone who still has to learn.

Learn what? That Lineage 2 is a great game and that Aion is a good game? (can't go great as it just doesn't come up to Lineage 2's open world game play).

Archage's game play looks just fine if indeed it is what they say it is and it's an open world pvp sandbox. Building your own towns, boats, waging war over an open landscape?

Sounds good to me.

As far as "grind" goes (if there is a grind)  I tend to prefer long LOOOOONG leveling curves and there are others that do as well.

It could be a niche game but if they can deliver a smooth, reasonably bug free game then I'm in and I know of others who are in as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

If this game doesn't fail due to personal PC requirements, it will fail due to the huge world, but limited amount of players each server can hold. It will be a wasteland, just like DarkFall was. Run 5-10 minutes to kill a few goblins, then either die and lose it all or run back to the bank for 5-1       minutes to do it again. Only ever seeing the 1 player that decided to kill you.

edit: at least launch will be that way, without a LOT of preorders. 60mil is enough to develope the game sure, but what about the space power and cooling required for running the game on a full retail level?

• 6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

Korean company

I ended reading here.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Azorith

If this game doesn't fail due to personal PC requirements, it will fail due to the huge world, but limited amount of players each server can hold. It will be a wasteland, just like DarkFall was. Run 5-10 minutes to kill a few goblins, then either die and lose it all or run back to the bank for 5-1       minutes to do it again. Only ever seeing the 1 player that decided to kill you.

edit: at least launch will be that way, without a LOT of preorders. 60mil is enough to develope the game sure, but what about the space power and cooling required for running the game on a full retail level?

I don't really understand why you compare ArcheAge and Darkfall that way...Darkfall was developed by an indie team,wholely based on full loot FFA PVP.ArcheAge ain't any like this,there is a huge budget behind and based on both PvP and PvE-it's not even sure if they are going to implement a full loot system,and btw J.Song already talked about some instanced dungeons.

Originally posted by 6SlipKnoT6

Korean company

I ended reading here.

Why being so narrow minded? It's obvious that West developers failed or just didn't want to release a polished,AAA sanbox game.ArcheAge promises much,some of the features may never be implement or may it will fail.But it definitely needs to give it a try..

And tbh,I was expecting that the "messiahs"will come from East...

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)