Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - CryEngine2 MMORPG to rule the world?

This article is a copy from AAportal.net - The largest International Community of Archeage

Today we will talk about the new generation in MMORPG, to be precise - about ArcheAge.

To begin, lets name the authors of the game. Archeage is being developed by a Korean company XLGames, which by the way has affiliates in USA.
(The budget is over 60,000,000$ Based on the company's own money, investitions from Giga-Media and money from selling localization rights to Japan and China. Archeage was also tested on many computers (i tested on 3 different configs myself), and it ran smoothly even being in CBT2. So there is nothing to worry about, because CryTek failed to optimize their game. The game can run good on most configs, the minimum requirment for comfortable play is geforce8500gt and a duo core (tested myself). Do not forget, that the game will be released in the end of 2011 in korea, so you still have plenty of time to enjoy i83 cores and geforces780s :D)

The head of XLGames is Jake Song. He is very known in the circles of MMO development. To be straight, it is his games, that became the first milestone in the evolution of the MMORPG genre. Although there were other developers of course. Jake Song worked on projects like "Nexus", "The Kingdom of the Winds","Lineage", "Lineage 2", "Tabula Rasa", "Aion", etc. Thanks to him, NCSoft published a lot of popular MMORPG's, and became so famous. In the year of 2003, Jake Song left NCSoft, because of some tensions with the direction, and founded his own company "XLGames". He is currently developing the first next-generation MMORPG. The project got named Archeage, and was announced in February 2010. The first closed beta test was successfully completed this summer, and the second - in November.

The developers try to include the best parts of all modern MMORPG's in Archeage:

A huge, detailed game world; Quality graphics; Massive PvP and sieges; interesting quests, which will be based on a big plot rather than regular grind; Raid dungeons; A possibility to build your own houses and towns! Archeage is created as a Sandbox - kind of games, where the player is free to do anything he wants in the game world. There will be a plot of course, but the developers want players to create the most vivid events.

There are 8 races in the world of Archeage: including humans, elves, dwarfs and ferre (Catlike humans). The races are divided to 2 fractions, East and West. A long time ago, all races lived on a single continent, but after a cataclysm, the world got divided. The player enters the game a few thousand years later after the catastrophe. If you follow the quest plot, you will learn the history part by part. To write it and the quests, XLGames hired a famous Korean novelist Jeon Min-Hee. So we can expect a lot from the quest lines.

The most amazing part, is that Archeage is made on CryEngine 2. When you look at high res screenshots, made on high graphic levels, you simply can't believe that THIS will be a MMORPG! The developers already released some video clips showing the physics of the Cry Engine 2. Unfortunately, at this moment, the environment destruction physics are enabled only in instances, while you can still interact with other players in the open world accordingly. If enabled for the whole world, it will open great opportunities for tactics in the genre of MMORPG.

The size of the game world exceeds the size of the world of WoW including all expansions. The interactivity of the world in Archeage is very high. There is a day-night cycle. One should take a torch with him in case he gets caught in a dark place during the night. The developers have promised to implement season cycles. In one of his interviews, Jake Song asked to imagine a lake, created after someone casted a meteor to hit the ground in a battle a week ago. It is possible, that things like this await us in Archeage.

Control of the character is also innovated compared to other games. For example one can fight mounted on his horse, climb walls and trees, ropes and build houses. The trees in Archeage grow independently. They have many stages of growth, and you can see them increase in size in real time. Players can then cut these trees and build a house. You can also plant trees, but its way more fun to cut them down. You can place a scout on the top of a large tree. Then watch your enemies approach and cut the tree down with the scout!

You can read the whole article on aaportal.net here

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.<?

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Agoden

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.

Huge and justified concern. They also seem to be promising an awful lot, better be able to back it up,

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Lyulfe 

They also seem to be promising an awful lot, better be able to back it up,

I have to disagree here, J.Song designs Arche Age for the past 4+ years,since 2006.And he is not a indie,random developer..There is a huge budget behind ArcheAge and a great developing team.

Edit: And as far as graphics are concerned,CryEngine2 was used in Crysis too..I actually doubt that will cause major lag to players,and better be thanful for it,at last an "AAA" sandbox MMO with a real updated graphics machine!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

exactly, the budget is over 50 million dollars

I ran it successfuly, so do not worry about that.

:)

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I guess that why they beta test it in Korea first, as the Koreans dont have so many shit PC's

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Agoden

So it'll fail because no one can run it >.

Haha my first thoughts too, but you can also probably guarentee it will be full of the 'i'm the greatest' elitest asshole types because of the narrowed market and high requirements to opperate it.

I only say that because they tend to also have top of the line rigs just for the bragging rights in my experience.

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

Nothing that comes from CryEngine will ever be "good" unless you're playing it on NASA computers.. most game companies fail on thinking that having a game with awesome graphics that only 1/1000 of their players will be able to fully enjoy won't pay their expenses.. You wouldn't need to go so far as to use UnrealEngine to get a better graphics vs performance.

Originally posted by Nasa

I guess that why they beta test it in Korea first, as the Koreans dont have so many shit PC's

Mmmm no...J.Song stated that EU/NA is the market key for Arche Age.So he actually wants to deliver a full featured/polished game on the West.That's why he wants to test it first on Korea.

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Well, I hope the small population of players with super computers enjoys the game. Lol =P.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by wiredknights

Nothing that comes from CryEngine will ever be "good" unless you're playing it on NASA computers.. most game companies fail on thinking that having a game with awesome graphics that only 1/1000 of their players will be able to fully enjoy won't pay their expenses.. You wouldn't need to go so far as to use UnrealEngine to get a better graphics vs performance.

Crysis (CryEngine2) came out about three years ago and I could play it on my (now 3 year old) laptop just fine on medium when it came out.  It's not THAT demanding.

I mean, you won't be able to play it on a 10 year old Packard-Bell that you are running WoW and WordPerfect 2.0 on, but any decent gaming machine from the last 3-4 years should run it okay I would think.

EDIT:  Also wanted to add that Crysis ran MUCH better than AoC on that same laptop.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Considering the price of a decent midrange PC these days, all I gotta say is that there are a lot of cheapskates around here. These same people that pay $50/mo for their internet can't afford $500 every 5 years to upgrade their CPU, mobo, RAM, and video card?

You all forgot, that ArcheAge was tested on many computers (i tested on 3 different configs myself), and it ran smoothly even being in CBT2. So there is nothing to worry about, because CryTek failed to optimize their game. The game can run good on most configs, the minimum requirment for comfortable play is geforce8500gt and a duo core (tested myself). Do not forget, that the game will be released in the end of 2011 in korea, so you still have plenty of time to enjoy i83 cores and geforces780s :D

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

And thus began the "Buy a new computer instead of complaining" debate. Can't people post articles anymore without someone slapping them in the face for not having a computer capable of running "Everything, even if they don't plan on playing Everything"?

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Sounds really promising as it has everything WoW does not. Awesome state of the art GFX engine, sandbox, massive PvP etc.

If this game follows through on its promises we might have the first AAA sandbox MMORPG released in the last decade. It will wipe the floor with all the WoW clones!

Originally posted by Aganazer

Considering the price of a decent midrange PC these days, all I gotta say is that there are a lot of cheapskates around here. These same people that pay $50/mo for their internet can't afford $500 every 5 years to upgrade their CPU, mobo, RAM, and video card?

Indeed!

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

One must say that that G-Star footage was made exactly for G-Star and the state of game is far from complete

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

cant believe people complaining about not being able to run that will be released in 2012 at best here in west.. which by that time will use 5 years old engine?  or almost close to that

aion used same engine? or was it cryengine1 , and cryengine2 is better optimised.. and fuck me everyone could run aion.. and it ran great.. noone complained about warhammer.. but that pile of shit neither looked as good or ran as good

you do realize that running wow on max settings now requires super computer, yet noone complains about that.. do you guys run all your games on minimum ?

the stupidity is beyond belief.. shouldnt you be happy we finally get " perfect" mmorpg.. in almost "perfect" engine.. (and no crysis is nowhere near optimized) but that got nothing to do with the engine now

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Smikis

cant believe people complaining about not being able to run that will be released in 2012 at best here in west.. which by that time will use 5 years old engine?  or almost close to that

aion used same engine? or was it cryengine1 , and cryengine2 is better optimised.. and fuck me everyone could run aion.. and it ran great.. noone complained about warhammer.. but that pile of shit neither looked as good or ran as good

you do realize that running wow on max settings now requires super computer, yet noone complains about that.. do you guys run all your games on minimum ?

the stupidity is beyond belief.. shouldnt you be happy we finally get " perfect" mmorpg.. in almost "perfect" engine.. (and no crysis is nowhere near optimized) but that got nothing to do with the engine now

STFU man, if I can't run ArcheAge on my abacus, it's crap!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

trololo much :P

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

For me Tera seems to have better graphics and combat but this will be a sandbox game. building cities, ships etc is cool Of course we saw that with Vanguard and it didn't help this game. It all depends on how polished the game will be.

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

For me Tera seems to have better graphics and combat but this will be a sandbox game. building cities, ships etc is cool Of course we saw that with Vanguard and it didn't help this game. It all depends on how polished the game will be.

Tera is simply a hack and slash mmorpg. It is unique by that sense and is mostly developed for consoles, not for pc gaming (point and click). Tera can not have better graphics, because of its engine, which is inferior to CryEngine2.

I have added a concept art section

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

It's too beatifull, simply too good looking, every other mmo looks like shit in comparison. From what I've read, they look to have a good mix of sandbox and themepark elements. I really hope it does well.