Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100 bucks to start playing WoW? REALLY?

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by jason_webb

Original + BC + Strategy Guides = £9.99

Wrath of the Lich King = £17.99

Cataclysm = £22.99

11 Months Sub = £98.99

Total = £149.86

Eve Online

Game = £6.98

11 Months Sub = £140.25 (todays conversion from euro to £)

Total = £147.23

welcome to 'free' expansions.

I don't understnad the purpose of putting quotes around the word free. EvE and WoW have comparable monthly fees, however if WoW released an Expansion tomorrow, I would have to pay their standard new xpac cost and my monthly fee. If EvE released an expansion tomorrow, I would just continue paying my monthly fee. So what is not free, or misleading that it requires quotes, about the EvE expansion?

Now I used the 12-month sub price in my example, but if I wen't monthly then WoW is $14.99/mo and EvE is $14.95/mo. So, even if I chose to go with the highest price I could, the 11 month on EvE is less then the 11 month on WoW despite what you've listed. Maybe EU prices for WoW equate to a better deal on the monthly rate. I couldn't really say with any authority on that. 

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• EagleDelta2EagleDelta2 Member UncommonPosts: 22

And as a side bar, two of the bigger 'Free To Play' games came out no better. To have 'Full Access' to all the features in Guild Wars and D&D Online you were looking at;

Guild Wars - Approx $297

D&D Online - $555 - $869 (depending on how you buy your points and upper level includes a 50 character upgrade to match WoW)

I'm not sure about DDO's prices, but when I referred to getting "Full Access" - that means getting access to all the content in the game, things like GW's Character slots, Skill Unlock Packs, Storage Expansion don't count as they are entirely optional and don't add to the content at all.  

GW's content cost:

Amazon - $48.38 +S&H

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $8.40

GW: Bouns Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Steam - 69.97

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $29.99

GW: Bonus Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Keep in mind there is no Sub either, so that's it either way it's about the cost of a current game to get GW and all it's content.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by mklinic

I don't understnad the purpose of putting quotes around the word free. EvE and WoW have comparable monthly fees, however if WoW released an Expansion tomorrow, I would have to pay their standard new xpac cost and my monthly fee. If EvE released an expansion tomorrow, I would just continue paying my monthly fee. So what is not free, or misleading that it requires quotes, about the EvE expansion?

It was there to illustrate a point on another thread, but the point still stands here that WoW is no more expensive than the majority of paid for MMO's on the market and even so called 'Free to Play' games once you take everything into account.

OK, if Wow released an expansion tomorrow yes you would have to pay for it and with eve you wouldn't, but at least from a euro perspective that makes no odds as we pay approx $20.55/month for eve here so in comparison to the year on year cost vs buying expansions for WoW, WoW actually comes out on top in terms of cost. When after 6 years EvE would have come out at around £900 compared to WoW at less than £700 including the expansions and that is why i quote the free part as which ever way you like to look at it, you don't really get anything for free.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by pragues

...snip...

The income in 2010 for WOW alone was way over 1.4 billion dollars. (up from 1.1 in 2009).

And the average critical acclaim on the web = 91.46 %. far more than any other MMO. (29 reviews average).

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/971498-world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/index.html

So your opinion stands pretty much in a desert compared to what the reviews say.

I have no idea why you would lie about thoseCata  sales though as ... they are only the sales numbers of the first day ...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm

49 fluff marketing reviews ripped apart by user reviews.

It is funny how many of the reviews mention WoW's success with sub numbers.  Numbers that Blizzard admits in their footnotes are only account numbers and not sub numbers.

Cataclysm's retail sales:  http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/38102/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/

Pretty much reflects those that "had to buy it", those that bought it on "marketing", and the drop off at the realization there was no point.  12 mil accounts, and barely a quarter have purchased it, eh?  It is odd that it only shows 3.4 mil sold in 10 weeks when Blizzard claims 3.3 mil sold in the first 24 hours, eh?  Perhaps accounting for digital sales not reflected in the other numbers?  Perhaps accounting for that magical Blizzard accounting that takes place in general?

As to revenue, Activision Blizzard's revenue was down for 2010 compared to 2009.  Much of that was offset by layofffs and cost cutting endeavors to reduce the hit they would take closing out the year, still ending up losing $233m in the 4th quarter (which would include that magical release of Cataclysm and continued sales of Black Ops).

So you can continue to push the McDonald's sells a lot of burgers so it must mean quality thing all you want - nobody is listening these days...

Man you are so wrong I would be embarrassed lol.

You forget the simple fact of the matter that Cata hasn't been released world wide yet. The reason they footnote that those numbers aren't entirely accurate is because it's tough to gauge the chinese market where you don't sub but instead pay for usage. Let's say 12 is an inflated number, even 8mill is still susbtantial.

Again, you talk about hard numbers and forget the simple fact of the Chinese market.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by jusomdude

While I think the older expansions could stand to be cheaper, they can't just give them away. You are getting an assload of content for what you're paying.

Pay it or don't, I'm sure WoW will do fine either way.

Your getting an assload of content in eve , for free with still paying 14.95$ a month, or wait even better yet, thoose who know how to make money ingame can play Eve Online basicly for free, as i have the last 3 years, ive paid with ingame money for gaming time, on 4 accounts.

Wow doesnt offer that, so there is people who is sitting on litterally 100.000 or more gold fuck all to do with it.

pathetic game, needs to die tbh, to many kids who nerd WoW all day long and people make video's of them and put em on youtube to be paraded for the whole world to see, like the girlfriend who deleted the guys wow characters for one, the boy who cried and emo'd so much into his microphone while they were recording it ( his parrents where giving him a hard time about some trip ).

etc. etc. etc.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by EagleDelta2

And as a side bar, two of the bigger 'Free To Play' games came out no better. To have 'Full Access' to all the features in Guild Wars and D&D Online you were looking at;

Guild Wars - Approx $297

D&D Online - $555 - $869 (depending on how you buy your points and upper level includes a 50 character upgrade to match WoW)

I'm not sure about DDO's prices, but when I referred to getting "Full Access" - that means getting access to all the content in the game, things like GW's Character slots, Skill Unlock Packs, Storage Expansion don't count as they are entirely optional and don't add to the content at all.  

GW's content cost:

Amazon - $48.38 +S&H

GW Trilogy - $29.99

Steam - 69.97

GW Trilogy - $29.99

Keep in mind there is no Sub either, so that's it either way it's about the cost of a current game to get GW and all it's content.

Not entirely all of the content, you forgot about the unlock packs (7 x £7 each), extra character slots @ £7 each, PvP access kits etc, etc.....

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by eyelolled

I get a kick out of people that use subscription numbers as proof of quality. If that were true then would McDonalds be classed as fine dining because they've served billions

Only if you're an idiot incapable of making inferences.

McDonalds isn't fine dining, but it can be considered the best fast food, which is what it is.

WoW isn't the best electronic item on the planet, but it's the best MMO/Themepark.

Toyotas doesn't make Ferraris, yet they are still considered #1 auto manufacturer in the world.

What does this tell us? Consumer statistics decide what can be coined 'best'. Silly incapable trolls do not.

how 2 analyze

Originally posted by kwai

While I think the older expansions could stand to be cheaper, they can't just give them away. You are getting an assload of content for what you're paying.

Your getting an assload of content in eve , for free with still paying 14.95$ a month, or wait even better yet, thoose who know how to make money ingame can play Eve Online basicly for free, as i have the last 3 years, ive paid with ingame money for gaming time, on 4 accounts.

Wow doesnt offer that, so there is people who is sitting on litterally 100.000 or more gold fuck all to do with it.

pathetic game, needs to die tbh, to many kids who nerd WoW all day long and people make video's of them and put em on youtube to be paraded for the whole world to see, like the girlfriend who deleted the guys wow characters for one, the boy who cried and emo'd so much into his microphone while they were recording it ( his parrents where giving him a hard time about some trip ).

etc. etc. etc.

You can make the same pithy 1 dimensional troll argument about Eve btw. I play it, and I can honestly say that ZERO of the changes from the last 'expansion' have affected me to date. Oh wait, a new portrait... Wooooooo!!!!

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Honestly, the price shouldn't have changed much in the short amount of time the game has been out. You don't just mark something down for the hell of it and certainly not because of age.

It was there to illustrate a point on another thread, but the point still stands here that WoW is no more expensive than the majority of paid for MMO's on the market and even so called 'Free to Play' games once you take everything into account.

OK, if Wow released an expansion tomorrow yes you would have to pay for it and with eve you wouldn't, but at least from a euro perspective that makes no odds as we pay approx $20.55/month for eve here so in comparison to the year on year cost vs buying expansions for WoW, WoW actually comes out on top in terms of cost. When after 6 years EvE would have come out at around £900 compared to WoW at less than £700 including the expansions and that is why i quote the free part as which ever way you like to look at it, you don't really get anything for free.

Ok, must just be a regional difference in pricing then as the monthly fee here is cheaper for EvE then for WoW. As a result, you can extrapolate it out over 10, 20, or more years and EvE, by default, comes out cheaper in monthly fees and the expansions, it should go without saying, are obviously cheaper. The explicit comment I was originally addressing was your statement that WoW was cheaper which, based on the US pricing, it is not. I don't think I ever mentioned free-to-play and even explicitly tried to compare WoW to similar business model products in a subsequent post.

To the original thread topic, the price of just getting started with all the content, EvE comes out looking even better as it is only $19.99 versus the cumulative price of WoW and it's expansions. But, these games cater to two different audiences for the most part and therefore, the comparison of price is, I suppose, nothing more then an intellectual excercise and shouldn't be viewed as a measure of quality of either product.

Now, just for the sake of further clarity, this is not a bash against WoW. As I made effort to compare similar products in one of my posts, I also stated that the price is fair for what you are getting. As a customer of both games, I can look at my bank statement and see which has cost me more...though, to be fair I haven't had to pay a sub fee for EvE for about a year now thanks to their PLEX system ;) (but that is, of course, a whole seperate topic).

-mklinic

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by helthros

etc. etc. etc.

You can make the same pithy 1 dimensional troll argument about Eve btw. I play it, and I can honestly say that ZERO of the changes from the last 'expansion' have affected me to date. Oh wait, a new portrait... Wooooooo!!!!

I guess you havent been reading up to much about the patch notes then, there is new npc features etc. that has been released, graphical updates , and yes new character customization which was long overdue, and they made this because at some point your going to be able to walk in stations, which is why you now had the option to fully customize your characters features.

Originally posted by EagleDelta2

GW's content cost:

Amazon - $48.38 +S&H

GW Trilogy - $29.99

Steam - 69.97

GW Trilogy - $29.99

Not entirely all of the content, you forgot about the unlock packs (7 x £7 each), extra character slots @ £7 each, PvP access kits etc, etc.....

I think he explicitly mentioned that, but to that note, you naturally factored in flying ponies and vanity pets from the pet shop for WoW's price right? ;)

-mklinic

etc. etc. etc.

I guess you havent been reading up to much about the patch notes then, there is new npc features etc. that has been released, graphical updates , and yes new character customization which was long overdue, and they made this because at some point your going to be able to walk in stations, which is why you now had the option to fully customize your characters features.

Do you realize the rage if a WoW expansion contained just that?

I respect the whole free Eve expansion deal, but to try and compare an Eve expansion to a WoW expansion is just retarded. That's where I was getting at...

• MasterDeadlyMasterDeadly Member Posts: 78

Apparently 12.000.000 players are willing to pay the fee...

Or the equivalent of 1.2 to 1.4 billion dollars per year. (depending on expansion box sales).

So perhaps that shows a sign about the overall quality. From flying mounts to rated PvP to extreme hard Raid content to seamless open world design ...

Quality has its price.

I had to laugh at the part in red.  I mean, I seriously had to laugh at the part in red.

By the way, worldwide - Cataclysm has only sold 3.4m retail copies.

The 12m number is bogus - Blizzard even admits this in their footnotes on their releases.

/tiredsigh

I really did roll on the floor laughing at this. This doesn't include China and its only from the first month of sales. Just because Cata sold 3.4 mil in its first month doesn't mean that there aren't 12 million subscribers. Your knowledge is beyond bogus. When will deluded idiots just keep their innacurate information to themselves. /sigh

• Elpresador69Elpresador69 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by MasterDeadly

Or the equivalent of 1.2 to 1.4 billion dollars per year. (depending on expansion box sales).

So perhaps that shows a sign about the overall quality. From flying mounts to rated PvP to extreme hard Raid content to seamless open world design ...

Quality has its price.

I had to laugh at the part in red.  I mean, I seriously had to laugh at the part in red.

The 12m number is bogus - Blizzard even admits this in their footnotes on their releases.

/tiredsigh

I really did roll on the floor laughing at this. This doesn't include China and its only from the first month of sales. Just because Cata sold 3.4 mil in its first month doesn't mean that there aren't 12 million subscribers. Your knowledge is beyond bogus. When will deluded idiots just keep their innacurate information to themselves. /sigh

+1 Master Deadly. The sheer number of people who pay to play the game speaks for the quality of it in my opinion.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

you do realize you're talking about the base game plus 3 expansions right?  $25 each isn't a bad deal and you don't have to buy them all at once.

I respect the whole free Eve expansion deal, but to try and compare an Eve expansion to a WoW expansion is just retarded. That's where I was getting at...

I dunno, but pretty sure the expansion that added Wormhole space has added more zones to EvE then WoW has in total....so there ya go. One EvE expansion has more then all the WoW expansion together. ;)

Now, take a breathe and realize that was a joke before hitting reply....

Otherwise, if you want to try to compare, I suppose you would need to take 3-4 EvE expansion as this seems to be about how many are released between WoW expansions. Really though, the two companies take a different road when it comes to expansions. EvE exapnds for all players whether they choose to utilize those features or not and WoW, in most cases, expands for the max level characters (though new races did get new zones). Cata was a notable exception with the revamping of the world and it would be neat to see the content spread out across level ranges like that in future expansions.

-mklinic

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, the two aren't even remotely comparable. There is no way in hell you can compare new areas, dungeons, mobs, playable races, quest dialogue, etc to a few changes that hardly change anything about the game. Walk in stations are the only thing I'd even consider as part of an expansion, and that pretty much just amounts to an avatar chat area.

and that pretty much just amounts to an avatar chat area.

Now that's not much different then a dps hanging around for a heroic queue and using trade chat for anyhting but trade ;)

But at the risk of this turning into an EvE vs. WoW thread, so simple "expansion" type features would be Wormhole space, large changes to the SOV system, significant changes to the Scanning/Exploration systems, Planetary Interaction, Incursions, and Faction Warfare off the top of my head. You might not choose to participate in those things, but that does not exclude them from qualifying as expansion features.

-mklinic

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Quality has its price.

/tiredsigh

From Blizzard's site:

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

The WoW subscriber base is not actual subscriptions.  Even Blizzard acknowledges this...why can't you?

So...you were saying...or trying to say...something?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Quality has its price.

/tiredsigh

From Blizzard's site:

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

The WoW subscriber base is not actual subscriptions.  Even Blizzard acknowledges this...why can't you?

That World Of Warcraft has 12 million Subscribers to date and it is the 100 pound Gorilla in the room. Oh and your also very very misinformed.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Quality has its price.

/tiredsigh

From Blizzard's site:

That World Of Warcraft has 12 million Subscribers to date and it is the 100 pound Gorilla in the room. Oh and your also very very misinformed.

Blizzard's site:  http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?110110

They have the sub definition in many of their press releases.

Again, Blizzard acknowledges it...why can't you?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Quality has its price.

/tiredsigh

From Blizzard's site:

Blizzard's site:  http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?110110

They have the sub definition in many of their press releases.

Again, Blizzard acknowledges it...why can't you?

The statement still stands. World of Warcraft has over 12 millions subscribers. The 12 mill + subscriber base is not bogus. To the Blizzard definition it has over 12 mill subscribers. So yes, quality comes at a price and it is true everywhere you look. 

Only 4.7 million copies..... Only ?? haha

• Elpresador69Elpresador69 Member Posts: 36

In all honesty if you've got 100 bucks to splash on a MMO then WOW is the one in my opinion. You get an enjoyable experience worth the cash.