Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrity Avatar NEVERDIE Banished to Virtual World Prison

BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Hollywood, CA - February 22, 2011 - Cyber-Celebrity avatar Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs has become the first virtual political prisoner and is now locked up in No Way Out a maximum security PVP prison in the virtual world ROCKtropia

Virtual world millionaire NEVERDIE, who recently set a new world record after making a Real life profit of over $500k from the sale of a virtual asteroid, was banned from playing in ROCKtropia after a backlash from the game community was ignited by his high profile activities and dual Role of Gamer and Developer

In what some people described as an international online virtual witch hunt, NEVERDIE, his real life family and staff were all penalized in an attempt to stem fears of possible virtual insider trading..

http://mpogd.com/news/?ID=7685

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

haha Awesome.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Few_ScarsFew_Scars Member Posts: 5

Really, that is stupid. I have met him a few times up on RT and it has been great being able to ask him questions about his planet etc. Banning him just prevents players being able to interact with him. The owns and runs Rocktropia, insider trading....come on, it would be like a Bakery owner eating his own cakes. As a businessman he has the right to promote his business. No body is forced to buy his products.

I will bring this up at the Planet Calypso Forum which covers Rocktropia.

Sad news for a virtual entrepreneur!

Cheers

Bjorn

• Nytewolf2k7Nytewolf2k7 Member Posts: 181

Very interesting. But I don't really see it as being news worthy =/

Sick of playing Entropia Universe? Want to quit, but don't want your hard earned money to vanish? Give your items to ME :-)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The OP is the first half of a press release that Neverdie sent out. Here is the rest of that mail blast for those who might not be sure if this is news or a publicity stunt:

NEVERDIE commented There really hasn't been a situation like this before in Video Game History where a gamer has crossed over to become a developer and because of the sensitivity of a Multi-Billion dollar Virtual goods Economy, must stop being a gamer. Of course I understand everyone's concerns, but I simply can't quit and waste my time building another avatar in a lesser MMO. I have spent 10 years championing Virtual Culture, ROCKtropia is the Future of Virtual Worlds, I must keep my Avatar alive, even if it means I have to Play inside a Virtual Prison, that's still game enough for me and who knows I may just find a way to escape!

ROCKtropia is a cutting Edge virtual world that utilizes Stunning Cryengine2 Graphics and exists within Entropia Universe, the leading Real cash Economic, social and gaming platform.

ROCKtropia's central theme is music and Pop Culture featuring destinations for Major Artists, Bands and Music Companies. ROCktropia 2.0 is set for launch April 12th 2011.

ROCKtropia 2.0 will add new functionality to the virtual World including Quests, mini games, Expanded Shopping, Residential Areas, a Prison, Nightclubs, Tutorials, New Characters, Wildlife and Virtual Treasures branded by Top Artists.

NEVERDIE Studios will exhibit at Screenburn at SXSW in Austin Texas March 11-13th to provide a Sneak preview of ROCKtropia 2.0 to the Press and Public and also to make a Major announcement.

About ROCKtropia:

ROCKtropia is a fully interactive 3D gaming destination situated in the Entropia Universe. The music-themed planet allows artists and their fans to engage with each other in a highly interactive, and visually stunning virtual world. Through Entropia's real cash economic system, both artists and fans can generate real-world revenue from fans' activities in their favourite artist's destination. Artists can have unlimited input into the development of their online destination. Examples include Lemmys Castle, developed in conjunction with Lemmy from Motorhead, and Zomhattan, developed in conjunction with Kevin Rudolf.

For more information on ROCKtropia visit http://www.ROCKtropia.com

About NEVERDIE Studios:

NEVERDIE Studios was founded by iconic gamer and avatar Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs in 2008 to create virtual worlds as well as movies and music. Since its inception, NEVERDIE Studios has developed and launched ROCKtropia, the first virtual music world, and is developing Next Island, a tropical, time travel virtual planet. NEVERDIE studios has also scored chart-topping club hits with dance diva Cheri Moon.  For more information on NEVERDIE Studios visit http://www.NEVERDIEstudio.com.

About MindArk:

Based in Sweden, MindArk develops, operates and markets Entropia Universe and the Entropia Platform. Entropia Universe is a 3D internet virtual universe with a unique integrated economic system and stunning graphics. The Entropia Platform is a secure entertainment and business platform, enabling companies and organizations all over the world to build content on differently themed planets inside Entropia Universe. MindArk is the only company which backs their virtual currency at a guaranteed exchange rate of 10 PED to $1 USD.  For more information about MindArk PE AB visit http://www.mindark.com/ http://www.entropiaplatform.com/, and  http://www.entropiauniverse.com.

My favorite part is "There really hasn't been a situation like this before in Video Game History where a gamer has crossed over to become a developer..." other than in almost every major MMO since Ultima Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I was wondering when people playing this game would realize that it's built around a pyramid scheme...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Does this game not involve real money. Could this not be a Federal offense or something and they broke some laws in real life since real money is involved.

• EU_RAZEREU_RAZER Member Posts: 85

From what I understand Neverdie is not banned, but rather imprissoned.

This means he will be able to play, but will not be able to withdraw any money from the game, which is a good thing because he is a developer to now and that might give the impression of insider knowledge. Not saying he has that or uses it.

• WaarheidWaarheid Member Posts: 6

Why does Neverdie still own a bank and taxable land in the game if his avatar is not usable?

Where do the taxes and bank fees go?

Is he a non-profit entity now?

Retiring his avatar is not enough.

They just put up a little smoklescreen to fool the sheep into thinking it was all ok now.

• EU_RAZEREU_RAZER Member Posts: 85

well the planet partner agreement states that developers are not allowed to withdraw any money from the game. If this happens we can not verify of course, but I'm pretty sure that MA will now keep an eye on ND because we (the community) made a big fuss about it and MA can not permit itself to turn a blind eye to ND, because all hell would break loose if anyone would find out they do.

ND however had some trouble accepting that he is now no longer a player but a developer. But looking at the tracker info, his last global was from Januari 1st, so it looks like he listened.

What happens with the money from his land areas and bank I do not know, might be a good idea to find out.

• Man, I really have no words for this.

It is really a life within a game now. Reminds me of Khadaffi, who had his finance from many other countries blocked.

This literally has become a virtual life. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Loktofeit

My favorite part is "There really hasn't been a situation like this before in Video Game History where a gamer has crossed over to become a developer..." other than in almost every major MMO since Ultima Online.

Well, when you cut out half the complete sentence, as you did here, of course it sounds inaccurate.

The relevant bit that he's referring to is described in the part you omitted...

"...and because of the sensitivity of a Multi-Billion dollar Virtual goods Economy, must stop being a gamer."

There is no other known example of someone having to cease being a gamer because they crossed over into becoming a developer. That's what he's referring to.

What you did there is a textbook example of cherry-picking.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TreephrogTreephrog Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Well, when you cut out half the complete sentence, as you did here, of course it sounds inaccurate.

The relevant bit that he's referring to is described in the part you omitted...

"...and because of the sensitivity of a Multi-Billion dollar Virtual goods Economy, must stop being a gamer."

There is no other known example of someone having to cease being a gamer because they crossed over into becoming a developer. That's what he's referring to.

What you did there is a textbook example of cherry-picking.

The true facts of the matter is this. All other devs/MA/PP employees are not required to "stop being a gamer", though they are required to play in such a way as to not effect the economy in a significant manner. This includes playing on an "official" avatar which is monitored by MA, and being unable to withdraw ped to money. I would also mention that there have been previous and very public examples of players *of this game* that have been hired on by MA or FPC (the first and original planet partner) and have gone through publicly saying their goodbyes on their personal avatar before they move onto their official avatar. Skam is probably the most famous of these cases. I think it's pretty safe to say, as much as ND want to make this into another "special snowflake first time ever done" scenarios, it couldn't be further from the truth. ND is just upset that he's not supposed to be double-dipping.

We have, in fact, been told on forums of the abilities of these official avatars, and to be honest, the life of that particular avatar doesn't seem so bad at all. On top of that, rumor has it that some of the leading/famous avatars in game are actually secretly official avatars that cannot withdraw. No names have been mentioned that I have seen, but it was said that you would be amazed if you knew who was who. I think they would take issue with the "must stop being a gamer" part, as that is blatantly untrue. They just play for the game, vs playing for the money. Read that last sentance I wrote, and you might find something about why ND is upset, despite how much he talks about his love of the game.

Edited just to add this, ND knew full well the rules in the PP agreement when he SIGNED them. To think otherwise is to agree that he is stupid beyond belief for signing something of such importance to him without reading/understanding it. Add this to the above mentioned common knowledge of people who had to move to official avatars and you wil see why so many people scoff at his excuses... as that is all they are.