Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera wasnt ready for launch in Korea......

Comments

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Originally posted by frapes

http://www.terafans.com/topic/7579-translation-bhs-devs-have-faith-in-us-and-wait-a-bit-post-release-qa/?s=05237692025a4adedd5733cf4a91564d

Devs make the same mistake over and over again.......EARLY LAUNCHING

You make it look like a big deal.When its actually not.And this post is quite old too.

Can't believe you expect a perfect product from day one when it comes to MMOs.

Game felt solid during korean open beta.Did only find a minor bug till level 34,with cap level being 38.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I'm really interested in TERA, but this just feels like Aion all over again. Is TERA gonna have it's own development team here in the Americas and not be dependent on other companies like Aion was? Appears the same complaints that plague Aion are really showing up here, too. Not solo friendly. Brutal Drop rates, and Range/Melee balance issues.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

This is pretty common knowledge. They openly stated that the intended level cap was 60 (not 50 like it currently is) and that the final content wasnt fully finished yet. They plan to update the game with said content patch in a few months. This, of course, isnt a problem for us since NA will be launching with said content patch (on top of westernization). Why do you think there's such a big wait for the western version?

Also, TERA's drop rates are like candy (seriously) and the grind is non-existent (koreans are complaining the curve is too easy). With 5-6 more months to go, we'll be fine.

Sup.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by Somnicide

This is pretty common knowledge. They openly stated that the intended level cap was 60 (not 50 like it currently is) and that the final content wasnt fully finished yet. They plan to update the game with said content patch in a few months. This, of course, isnt a problem for us since NA will be launching with said content patch (on top of westernization). Why do you think there's such a big wait for the western version?

Also, TERA's drop rates are like candy (seriously) and the grind is non-existent (koreans are complaining the curve is too easy). With 5-6 more months to go, we'll be fine.

5-6 months?   :-(

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

Originally posted by lectrocuda

5-6 months?   :-(

Till release? Yes. There's a test next month, then another a few months later and the beta cycle hits around summer.

Sup.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Class balance issues, adjustments to the difficulty level of some content, tweaking group/solo balance, developing end game content, fixing bugs.

All sounds like normal MMO development. To conclude "not ready for launch" from that is quite a leap.

One thing I found odd in the article was 71 Million USD profit  from 170K Players, thats over $400 per player.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by skoupidi

http://www.terafans.com/topic/7579-translation-bhs-devs-have-faith-in-us-and-wait-a-bit-post-release-qa/?s=05237692025a4adedd5733cf4a91564d

You make it look like a big deal.When its actually not.And this post is quite old too.

Game felt solid during korean open beta.Did only find a minor bug till level 34,with cap level being 38.

I have to agree, some of that really isn't a big deal.

Part of it does seem to remind me of old Lineage 2 stuff and the Aion stuff. Such as low drop rate from L2 and the "issue" that animations took too long from Aion.

It really does seem that some of those issues stem from them having a different idea for their game then some players wanted.

Personally, I can live with low drop rates and if a character has a long cast or skill time then that means I just have to plan for it. Lineage 2 had longish cast times for the Spellhowler cast.

I don't mind clases being "balanced" because that does promote team play.

Botting could be an issue and it does seem their AH isn't designed well.

I'm not sure I've played a game where the game didn't get slower when it was in a populated area.

Once again I chalk this up to "I have to try it myself".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Muppetier

Class balance issues, adjustments to the difficulty level of some content, tweaking group/solo balance, developing end game content, fixing bugs.

All sounds like normal MMO development. To conclude "not ready for launch" from that is quite a leap.

One thing I found odd in the article was 71 Million USD profit  from 170K Players, thats over $400 per player.

Pretty sure they meant 170k players playing on launch day, as iirc they broke the korean peak concurrent players record with that amount.

Sup.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

What a shame... followed right into FFXIV steps, pathetic. Even after knowing there is so much competition, they are still smart enough to launch when the game is not ready.

"There is still a lot of content we have not gotten to show. We still have a lot of things to reveal so we ask for everyone to wait a bit. TERA’s client size is 22GB but that is not all. Once again I ask everyone to wait a bit for us to show some really enjoyable content."

"It is true that playtime is important. We constantly keep an eye on item drop rates; we thought players could use a challenge and that's why we’ve created the droprate we have. Of course the drop rates can always change in the future and it is simply at a monitoring stage."

Unreal, I see where this korean grind has originated.

Dang I was looking forward to this game, now I'm like bah...

I just hope ANet and Bioware do not fall for this supidity.

Originally posted by nomss

What a shame... followed right into FFXIV steps, pathetic. Even after knowing there is so much competition, they are still smart enough to launch when the game is not ready.

"There is still a lot of content we have not gotten to show. We still have a lot of things to reveal so we ask for everyone to wait a bit. TERA’s client size is 22GB but that is not all. Once again I ask everyone to wait a bit for us to show some really enjoyable content."

"It is true that playtime is important. We constantly keep an eye on item drop rates; we thought players could use a challenge and that's why we’ve created the droprate we have. Of course the drop rates can always change in the future and it is simply at a monitoring stage."

Just wondering...have you played the game in korea? Because comparing TERA to FFXIV is like comparing a pure gold fountain to broken sprinkler. It's seriously not a bad game as is, it's just not ready for NA release.

...which is why it hasnt released in NA yet. Seriously, we have 5-6 months to go for a reason.

Sup.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Can't understand why you are getting so anxious about hose two quotes.

"There is still a lot of content we have not gotten to show."

"drop rates can always change in the future and it is simply at a monitoring stage."

I mean in about 5 months(estimated eu/na release) all this will be history(don't forget to add the westernisation too).Not to mention that Tera dropped Aion from Nr.1 in top asia games,until aion got a huge graphics and content update. http://us.aving.net/news/view.php?articleId=185962

Other than that your post is just full of ignorance.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

FF launch failed so hard they had to let poeple play for free. I doubt this will be the case with Tera. Its not even here yet so why are you so uptight about it?

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Lathander81

FF launch failed so hard they had to let poeple play for free. I doubt this will be the case with Tera. Its not even here yet so why are you so uptight about it?

Imo, Tera is THE most beautiful game I have ever seen. I'm getting upset b/c of this grind thing I'm about to face. I have played legend of martial arts for about 2-3 hours. And when you are having to kill 30+ mobs for 5 xxx items you need from them, it is just frustrating. As for this westerniazation, I bet Aion must have said the same thing too.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

All those unskilled players complaining and ruining the game... who would've guessed.

Balancing the classes is something that need to be fixed I'll give you that, but making the game (dungeons) easier or making the content more soloable etc is just ruining this game tbfh.

Fixing bugs or adding content is the usual thing we see in every MMO happening and whining about bugs not being fixed or content not being added fast enough is just stoopid. Every developer who wants to succeed with their game will work as fast as possible to begin with.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Tera has used the Korean launch as a beta for the world launch. this is an excellent idea, and may in fact be a good idea for other games to do. Releasing in specific countries where you can control things more and still get a profit allows the game to be further developed as well as doing a very strict "Real test" for other people.

This is the same reason I don't play games until 6-12 months after launch. I let the other suckers... i mean 'people' test it out first so when I play I know what I am getting into.

• frapesfrapes Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Sovrath

Part of it does seem to remind me of old Lineage 2 stuff and the Aion stuff. Such as low drop rate from L2 and the "issue" that animations took too long from Aion.

It really does seem that some of those issues stem from them having a different idea for their game then some players wanted.

Personally, I can live with low drop rates and if a character has a long cast or skill time then that means I just have to plan for it. Lineage 2 had longish cast times for the Spellhowler cast.

I'm not sure I've played a game where the game didn't get slower when it was in a populated area.

Im sorry, what?

I read the interview again and all i see is : "yes we will fix it,its a bug there,there is a problem and we will solve it soon,we dont know how this happend" and all that after few days of release(and more issues to come later on).And all they say is have faith in us and w8 a bit but until then, give me your money every month and waitttttttttt.

I know u cant have a perfect MMO at launch but all im saying is that they care only for making money fast!! Instead of waitting few more months and launch the game with less problems.Its not only Tera, many devs did in the past, doing in now, and as i see it they will do it for a long time.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

maybe they want to pay their coders and bring new stuff to the game?

i hope you guys know how mmo funding works :) otherwise you might wanna check on that one before posting nonsense again :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I like the sound of non-existant grind. :P

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

These games always launch too early it's almost a legally binding death-penalty if convicted law that they must. The wonder would be a game that actually "launches" in a decent playable state ("Rift" actually is nicely polished/bug-free, I give it good credit for that if nothing else really special).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Im sorry, what?

I read the interview again and all i see is : "yes we will fix it,its a bug there,there is a problem and we will solve it soon,we dont know how this happend" and all that after few days of release(and more issues to come later on).And all they say is have faith in us and w8 a bit but until then, give me your money every month and waitttttttttt.

I know u cant have a perfect MMO at launch but all im saying is that they care only for making money fast!! Instead of waitting few more months and launch the game with less problems.Its not only Tera, many devs did in the past, doing in now, and as i see it they will do it for a long time.

Well, again, some of those issues are non-issues for me so it wouldn't matter if I waited or not.

look, I cut my teeth on mmo's with Lineage 2. I went many levels without getting a drop, classes were not really balanced as many of them had specific roles to fill.

If it's a non-issue then it's a non-issue. Some of that stuff like bots or bad AH are issues and will have to be fixed sooner rather than later (if they can, I'm not sure of any game that has eliminated bots).

The solution is easy. Either don't play and problem solved or play until you can't stand it.

It would help to have perspective from an actual player to see how bad some of these issues are.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

The article said they had  earned an estimated profit of 80,000,000,000 won , as in 71,383,958 dollar.

Anyone knows how this translates into number of players or units sold? Do they use the same model of 50 dollar for the game and 1 month free sub?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

The reason they release half finished games is becuse they know the sheeple will buy it anyway. Most mmos players will buy bald up news paper if a dev said it was the next great thing. They'd pay double if that news paper was bald up and wet. Cause its premium when its wet you see.

The reason they are being apologistic about every little gripe is because Korean companies are much more humble about their games. In reality, TERA actually had a record setting OBT/Launch and is currently the third biggest AAA title in Asia even after Aion's 2.5 patch there. TERA is doing very successfully.

It's not about making money fast, its the fact that they ran out of money and needed money to continue developing the rest of the content. If they just wanted money, they'd have released in NA/EU/JPN also instead of waiting 5-6 months to.

Sup.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

The article said they had  earned an estimated profit of 80,000,000,000 won , as in 71,383,958 dollar.

Anyone knows how this translates into number of players or units sold? Do they use the same model of 50 dollar for the game and 1 month free sub?

Korean mmo subscriptions work very differently than in na or eu. There is no charge to buy the game, you just pay for time. Also, they have several different options on time lengths to pay for. From as little as a couple hours at a time, up to monthly subscriptions.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Im sorry, what?

Well, again, some of those issues are non-issues for me so it wouldn't matter if I waited or not.

look, I cut my teeth on mmo's with Lineage 2. I went many levels without getting a drop, classes were not really balanced as many of them had specific roles to fill.

If it's a non-issue then it's a non-issue. Some of that stuff like bots or bad AH are issues and will have to be fixed sooner rather than later (if they can, I'm not sure of any game that has eliminated bots).

The solution is easy. Either don't play and problem solved or play until you can't stand it.

It would help to have perspective from an actual player to see how bad some of these issues are.

I for one did enjoy almost the chaotic way that L2 really evolved, I remember when I couldnt even afford to use more than 1 soulshot per mob to spamming it every hit, when you went into Nurka's hideout and just saw a house and wondered what that was and an expansion later this boss started to appear and you could have the clan hall. Running around and finding a castle and wondering what was inside cause no one could conquer them yet. 

Even with all its imbalances I do hope it goes like that, there was a natural discovery process, people found better hunting spots every new content patch, and you ended up pretty much living in remote places with your clan once you found some place away from everyone else that was really worth it.