Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightsabres and Star Wars games

Yes, I know, it's all just games, they don't have to be realistic. But it has always struck me as a strange disconnect how suddenly ineffective lightsabres are in games. I mean, here we have a weapon that could cut through concrete like a knife through butter. Still, in SW games you could cut your enemy several times and he's still standing, because of what? His silky soft clothes that were protecting him against a lightsabre?

In the movies getting hit meant losing your hand, it was more a game of deflecting and countering. In games and best seen in MMORPG's, getting hit by a lightsabre means nothing more than losing a few hitpoints, even if it was a full hit that someone gets who's only clad in a cloth robe. With swords, there's some argument to be made that the brunt of a hit could be caught by the armor someone was wearing. A lightsabre that can cut through the hardest materials with ease, not so much.

But alright, this will always be handled like that in games, I don't expect SWTOR will be different in it.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• You're right, but you said it yourself. It's a game. There needs to be some kind of balance.

Simply slicing an enemy once and killing him that way wouldn't really be a good design choice.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

In the movies getting hit meant losing your hand, it was more a game of deflecting and countering. In games and best seen in MMORPG's, getting hit by a lightsabre means nothing more than losing a few hitpoints, even if it was a full hit that someone gets who's only clad in a cloth robe. With swords, there's some argument to be made that the brunt of a hit could be caught by the armor someone was wearing. A lightsabre that can cut through the hardest materials with ease, not so much.

Indeed, wait what about healing? Normally it takes ages to human body heal even small scratch. What about gun wounds? Headshot and your down. And whole ressing thing, thats not realistic either in SW world.

You know why these stuff isn't concerned, because we are already playing game that has all this, It's called -ing LIFE!

Why people even start these threads in every fricking game, now that is true mystery and deserves thread.
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

If everyone had shields that had to be worn down that would be acceptable imo. But once the shield is gone people should start losing limbs and/or fall in half imo :)

Side note: playing around with a light sabre that acted like the movie version in game would be great fun.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Honestly I prefer games set in the universe of the original trilogy, and I would prefer if jedi were left out altogether.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Yes, I know, it's all just games, they don't have to be realistic. But it has always struck me as a strange disconnect how suddenly ineffective lightsabres are in games. I mean, here we have a weapon that could cut through concrete like a knife through butter. Still, in SW games you could cut your enemy several times and he's still standing, because of what? His silky soft clothes that were protecting him against a lightsabre?

But alright, this will always be handled like that in games, I don't expect SWTOR will be different in it.

It would be OP and honestly, not fun. Its the same with every game though not just SW. You could have the arguement for swords but what about people that wear robes/clothes?

You have to make the game fun and challenging. 1 hitting everything gets old VERY fast.

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

Imagine clothies having some kind of Repulsive force, to prevent them being struck critically.

Works for me :D

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Oh, I've no problem with it. I mean, it's the way how games work after all, you have health bar instead of limbs that can be chopped off, you can run around in the biggest armor and still run around and jump as nimble as a fleetfooted deer, even swim with it.

It's just that with light sabres even more so than with swords that that awareness sets in and gives your suspension of disbelief a little kick. It's the same as with female avatars wearing almost nothing still being able to withstand the biggest hits by all kinds of hack and slash weapons without a problem. An 'ah, yes, it's like that' moment.

Like hitting someone fullfrontal with a tank ingame and then noticing that the person is still standing.

But it's not a complaint or such, just reflecting upon it image

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

This topic reminded me of the game Time Killers that I use to play at the arcade when I was a kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbbKeh40LvY

Good old fashion dismemberment

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Star Wars Battlefront. . . . Jedi heroes,  pretty much would kill you in 1 hit with a lightsaber.   You had to be one bad ass trooper to take out a jedi,  and the heavy trooper was usually the best to do it by laying mines down and running your ass off.. worked best in close range or else the jedi would just go around or over it.

It wasn't fun when you had a really good jedi player fighting against you.... pretty much everything would kill you instantly which was kind of the point of playing a hero,  but sometimes, just sometimes,  you were that soldier who went toe to toe and won,  and that made it all worth it.

W...What were we talking about again?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol. Well, I think you'll have a better shot at survival as a trooper in SWTOR, after all you can even blast Sith out of the sky image

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Going up against Vader wasn't so bad,  Yoda on the other hand...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Harabeck

Honestly I prefer games set in the universe of the original trilogy, and I would prefer if jedi were left out altogether.

I think a different company is making that game.  It's called Batle Star Galatica.  Seriously, Star Wars without being able to be a Jedi or a Sith would be about the most useless game to play for most people.  Even the people that plan on playing something other than a force user for their first toon will still play a Jedi or Sith at some.  For me (and I am pretty sure most others) this game wouldn't even be a blip on the radar if it wasn't Star Wars, even with BioWare developing it, and I love BioWare games.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

omfg who doesn't love Lightsabers? it's like, "I play WoW and Old Republic is ganna suck". and im all "it's a *(&@$ lightsaber, I win"

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Seen any of the trailers for Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

I'd love to play a Star Wars game where the lightsaber worked like that.

See a van?  Cut it in half.  A table? Cut it in half.  Soldiers?  Cut them in half.  Robots?  ... you get the picture.

Have to admit it would make horrible MMO design though.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

In Star Wars the lightsaber is the epitome of elegance and deadliness, hence why only someone trained as a Jedi/Sith can wield the literal embodiment of "the unstoppable force".  Sadly, we will never see a game, much less and MMO that does justice to this concept.  Could it be done, sure.  Could it be countered, sure.  Couple of guys with heavy blasters and 100 meter range advantage could kite a Jedi/Sith to death.  Will any company ever have the stones to put this true to the I.P. lightsaber mechanic into a MMO, not likely.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

I always found that to be kinda odd (needing to hit an enemy many times with a lightsaber till they died, causing gradual damage with each hit). But that is how MMO's and games in general work. Damage and Heals.

I personally would of developped a "new" approach, atleast for star wars games, when it comes to lightsabers, there is no gradual damage. I would "replace" dps with chance to hit. Every time you swing with the lightsaber, you either get closer to hitting him, or further. You get further if the enemy "heals" himself and closer when he doesn't. You would eventually reach a point where you will hit him, at that point your lightsaber would actually connect with his body and he would get killed (1 shot). So in essence, each enemy would present a "mini" duel. Easy mobs would require less swings till a connecting shot lands and causes him to die. And raid bosses, would be just like the movies, where a fight (example; Obi wan + Anakin vs Count Dooku) fight him at the same time. Seeing that he is tough, he can handle 2 v 1. And build on that. for raids 25 v 1 would be really hard bosses. 

Naturally the enemy would have some sort of "health" bar to indicate if he is getting weaker or not, hence you can determine your "dps".

Anyway...meh, its the same as damage and heals, its just more "star warsie". Atleast to me, but whatever. 

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    @Glim3mer, so you would replace current Healthpoints with system that is totally same, but called something else? Didn't LOTRO had this? You didn't "die" instead you become "hopeless", yet all players talked HP and dying. I personally hate when some game designers rename certain common terms to make them more exciting. Instead money you have Slingbadaboodoslamslongs, cool.