Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese gamer dies after three day session !

Comments

• LegionPothLegionPoth Member UncommonPosts: 14

The few posts I read that were in disagreeance with the physical posiblity of death by an adictive source were rather pursuaisive. That is to say, I was pursuaided to believe their posters were retarded.

Far too many MMOs on the market have a "skinner box" design, that is to say, they're a trap psycologically developed to contenue playing long after you know you should. I'm not going to go into a long explanation of what a skinner box is, and what is, and is not justifiable in game design, but I will say a great deal of care has been taken to get players invested into the game.

There are people in this world whom these psycological tactics work exceedingly well on, to this extreme is rare however, but not unexpected.

As it stands, the reason World of Warcraft seems so good, is the heavy adoption, and application of skinner's theories, adding features, and gimics to support them. Once popualized there, other gamers seem to overlook those features origins, and call any other game with them, wow-clones.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Doesn't anyone tell these people that sleeping right = more enjoyable/alert gaming, and that living healthy = living longer (and therefore more hours of gaming)?!

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by LegionPoth

The few posts I read that were in disagreeance with the physical posiblity of death by an adictive source were rather pursuaisive. That is to say, I was pursuaided to believe their posters were retarded.

Far too many MMOs on the market have a "skinner box" design, that is to say, they're a trap psycologically developed to contenue playing long after you know you should. I'm not going to go into a long explanation of what a skinner box is, and what is, and is not justifiable in game design, but I will say a great deal of care has been taken to get players invested into the game.

There are people in this world whom these psycological tactics work exceedingly well on, to this extreme is rare however, but not unexpected.

As it stands, the reason World of Warcraft seems so good, is the heavy adoption, and application of skinner's theories, adding features, and gimics to support them. Once popualized there, other gamers seem to overlook those features origins, and call any other game with them, wow-clones.

Looking at it from a different angle. If all the people prone to over indulgence via skinner's box psycology die off, then MMO finally have to evolve to be engaging  mentally instead of instictually lol.

Perhaps I'll finally get to play a mystery type MMO. <3

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Axehilt

Doesn't anyone tell these people that sleeping right = more enjoyable/alert gaming, and that living healthy = living longer (and therefore more hours of gaming)?!

True True but perhaps they have came to the conclusion that most have. No game designers have a original idea left in there brains anymore. So better to go out with a bang enjoying something that you like then to be disappointed for the next 30 years..

JKJK LOL

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Would be interesting to know which game this way, just for discussion's sake, but the article doesn't seem to mention it.

• LegionPothLegionPoth Member UncommonPosts: 14

Originally posted by Daitengu

Looking at it from a different angle. If all the people prone to over indulgence via skinner's box psycology die off, then MMO finally have to evolve to be engaging  mentally instead of instictually lol.

I have yet to play any MMO with the required mental facilities sugested by thes statements. It's looking quite good.

Sure I've played EVE Online which required a great deal of learning, but once you learned the basics, the game barely evolves.

Originally posted by bastionix

Would be interesting to know which game this way, just for discussion's sake, but the article doesn't seem to mention it.

As for the particular game, I don't feel it matters, as they are interchangable in design, purpose, and function. So much so that your signature implys anything sufficently effective to be standarized is just Cloning WoW.

Blizzard design team: What if we put 10 boxes together at the bottom of the screen, wait we have more than ten skills, what if we put more than one bar of ten boxes together? LETS PATENT IT!

While playing Rift I accidently clicked on the "Customize UI" button, and it nearly crashed my computer with all of the options that came up. The default is familier to compete with their target audiance, but the ability to change it in WoW requires WoW a great deal of mods submitted by the community.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Daitengu

I have yet to play any MMO with the required mental facilities sugested by thes statements. It's looking quite good.

Sure I've played EVE Online which required a great deal of learning, but once you learned the basics, the game barely evolves.

Random chance of getting the loot you want in an MMO IS an skinner's box concept.  The thing about Skinner's box is that it doesn't require mental skills. It's wholely instict based. As Skinner showed by using a pigeon in his proof of concept.

• DthRevanDthRevan Member Posts: 48

LOL @ this thread

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

So now many experts will blame online games for the misery of some people.If someone feels/can/will stay online 3 days for a game(no matter the goal) has serious social/psychological issues that drove him on this specific kind of addiction.They should focus on what makes a person addicted to a virtual game world more than what game killed him.

Online games don't kill you! Same as roads don't kill people in car accidents.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Wait I know what happened. Bethesda made that announcement that if anyone was able to concieve a kid that will be born on 11-11-11 and name it Dovahkiin they will get a prize. 

Maybe just maybe that little Spe%m made it in and ofc with every new life there has to be a death?

And perhaps this gamer was playing Oblivion?

I'm pretty serious.. no I mean it really super serious....

but on a serious note you have to admit gaming is way more addictive then Meth.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

This is very sad and ridiculous. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err, except you cannot get addicted to games.

Doctors who actually studied people "addicted" to online games found not a single case were the game itself was the cause for the "addiction".

Its always reallife issues. Your life sucks, you have trouble finding friends, family is hell, you are in school stress ... the game itself is only your escape, but in itself it has zero addiction potential.

You simply cant get addicted to an online game, just like you cannot get addicted to, for example, chess, or football.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Adamantine

Doctors who actually studied people "addicted" to online games found not a single case were the game itself was the cause for the "addiction".

Its always reallife issues. Your life sucks, you have trouble finding friends, family is hell, you are in school stress ... the game itself is only your escape, but in itself it has zero addiction potential.

You simply cant get addicted to an online game, just like you cannot get addicted to, for example, chess, or football.

Euh?!

This most be the most ignorant post in history.

The doctors you are talking about ... where did they get their phd ... in SpringField?

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Guess some people aren't equipped with common sense.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Rofl, sorry to break this to you bud, but you can get addicted to ANYTHING.

Really, ANYTHING, the addiction doesnt have to have anything to do with the object the person is addicted to, but that doesnt change teh fact that they are addicted to it.

"–noun

the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

The game must have been pretty good if he died playing it. Wonder what it was.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Very sad but im sure if you do anything for threee days solid theirs a chance you'll die, such as Gardening or washing the car.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

how people can get sucked in this virtual world is behond me........i play games since i was 9 years old (i am turning 36 this year) and i have never felt addicted in any way to video games (i play almost every single day)......some people just escape into the internet to avoid real life it seems.....kinda sad.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by duelkore

The man died from somethign besides lack of food or sleep. Perhaps he was diabetic. He did not die from just staying up and not eating.

Continued lack of food and sleep could do it. This is more about being an addict, so it's likely this person lived everyday like that, not just the one they died on..

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I find it hard to believe after how many pages no one else has said this but here goes...

Can I have his stuff?

You guys are seriously slipping! image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Seffren

Euh?!

This most be the most ignorant post in history.

The doctors you are talking about ... where did they get their phd ... in SpringField?

Haha Springfield, seriously.

Addiction isn't based on the substance, it all depends on the individual person. A study based on the substance only is flawed.

Even with some of the most addictive things in life (that are legal), like cigarettes and alchohol, their addictiveness depends souly on the person, otherwise every single person who ever used them EVER would be an addict for life.

Originally posted by just2duh

Addiction isn't based on the substance.

The substance is the addiction, by definition.

Originally posted by bastionix

Addiction isn't based on the substance.

The substance is the addiction, by definition.

But it only addictive to some and not all.

like cigarettes and alchohol, their addictiveness depends souly on the person

No, 

Sigarest have nicotine, which is recognised as a highly addictive substance.

Sigarets also have cocoa in them, because it increases the amoun t of nicotine a person can inhale and it makes the nicotine palatable.

Sigarets also have substances to affect the troath area so it can't taste any of the bad tastes from nicotine.

Everything about sigarets is made with the sole purpose of making them addictive, that has been known for years.

It is not just the person, there are substances that are far more addictive than others.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by warmaster670

Rofl, sorry to break this to you bud, but you can get addicted to ANYTHING.

Really, ANYTHING, the addiction doesnt have to have anything to do with the object the person is addicted to, but that doesnt change teh fact that they are addicted to it.

"–noun

the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."

Sorry to break this to you, but there is an entire field of science dedicated to the study of and treatment of mental disorders. The standard for categorizing disorders of the mind is a book called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM-IV.

The DSM-IV is the bible for American psychiatrists. It does not classify "video game addiction" as a mental disorder. This edition is 17 years old and is being replaced by the DSM-5 in 2013. The DSM-5 will not classify "video game addiction" as a mental disorder. This man who died may have had an impulse control disorder if he knew that his activity was harmful but felt a compulsion to continue, or he may have suffered from depression if he continued this self-destructive behavior because he knew it was destructive. Either way, this did not make him an addict in the scientific sense of the word.

If you would like to disagree with the DSM-IV's classifications and say that a person can be addicted to video games, you're free to do that. But know that to those who have made a career out of scientific study of the mind, you sound about as credible as people who claim that the Earth is flat or that germs don't exist.