Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Roleplaying in MMORPGs dead?

I'm having a tough time finding a decent non-MUD MMORPG with a moderately active Roleplaying community...

Anyone roleplay themselves or know any games that have active roleplaying communites?

"Adventure... heh! Excitement... heh! A Jedi craves not these things" -Yoda, Silent Bob

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

well the DAoC role playing servers-those people say all that stuff like

person1: Madam, would you please spare some gold, for a poor lad

person2: why sure *reaches into purse* here you are poor lad

lol i hate servers like that image

Email me at [email protected]
    ~~The Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins With One Step~~

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Roleplaying is fun too.  It can get annoying at sometimes.

When a person is playing out a charact that doesn't know how to talk...

Example;

Person 1 - Hail!  How are you this fine day?

Person 2 - Ooffe kekdkl l@@!!!!! Grrrr

Person 1 - O--k... *walks away*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • Pyro_InsomniacPyro_Insomniac Member Posts: 62

Good roleplaying doesn't necessarily mean you have to use your thee's and thou's... 

Good roleplaying is merely staying in character as often as is humanly possible (everyone goes out of character some time or another)

Ex:

Setting: Outside a house around midnight in an upscale neighborhood within a fairly populated city.

Guard: 'ey there! What are you doing loitering 'round 'ere at an hour like dis?

Loiterer: Oi... who me? I ain' doin' nothing but watching the birds!

Guard: Ah is tha' so? Carry on then... :Guard pretends to wander off:

Loiterer: 'ey Boys! The jig is up! Amscray with yer loot and meet up at the rendezvous!

:Guard pursues one of the thieves:

Now I know that isn't exactly possible in most MMORPGs due to technical constraints but it would be nice to see some actual roleplaying done wouldn't it? (I hate seeing people use Elizabethan (Shakespearean) speak too much/incorrectly)

"Adventure... heh! Excitement... heh! A Jedi craves not these things" -Yoda, Silent Bob

AGH seeing Hail takes me back to my days in UO

#%&#$@!@#%#&;

I hate that word... >.<

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    well rp is good in some places you can still play it but some ppl don´t know that or how to play rp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

Yah that seems to be my experience on most MMORPGs... I'm still looking for a fairly mainstream MMO with a combination of decent gameplay and an active roleplaying community... anyone thing I am being too demanding?

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

HAHA - Pyro, that was awesome.

Yeah. Most of the people who try to speak the old tongue can't really do it that well.  Every once in a while you'll get an expert at it.  The only way you'll know they're an expert is you wont understand a thing they say.

As said before... the whole looting is what most people are waiting for... I'd love to do that.  You have no idea how awesome that would be.

As for technical difficulties, if they're going to start raising pricies they better start raising the bar for their new improvements.

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

UO = Hail

Or when Asain servers came around...

hihi

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

There is a great article in I think the June version of Computer Games magazine about how roleplaying is no longer a part of MMORPGs.

Anyway, I agree that Roleplaying is dead, and I don't consider talking in a different way roleplaying.  The problem is that gameplay is so one dimensional in MMORPGs. It is about killing boring stagnent mobs or completing stupid quests that never do it for me.

There is a need for more options, and I don't think adding in this kind of gameplay would be that hard.

I think if you added in a large population of commoners you would find Roleplaying much easier.  You know have people to protect and people to steal from.  You can also add in things they do like have trade routes.  These trade routes can be raided or protected. 

Now there are other ways to roleplay of course but I think most common roleplaying roles could be built in.  It would take more money and more programing but I think it is possible.

I got so hooked ont he Baldur's Gate series games for a long time because of all the fun stuff you could do in them -.- But yeah those additions would aid Roleplaying quite abit... because the only people you really see in town are NPCs that serve some purpose to one end or another...

• odinwiseodinwise Member Posts: 79

well this new wave of MMORPG's coming up (Star Wars Galaxies being the first, and most limited, of them) is a LOT more roleplay friendly.  In fact many of the new wave games are supporting it!!  Horizons, from what I read, has SO much potential for roleplaying.  The game is designed to really allow for it, and I think it would take off it they made a server dedicated to it.  I'm actually very excited about Horizons because of the potential roleplaying.

I remember when I joined a roleplaying guild in EQ...boy that was a load of bs, rofl.  It really sucks that most mmo's out there now aren't roleplay friendly...although DAoC has roleplay servers, the game was designed for min/maxing, not for roleplaying.  It's obvious when all the npcs stand around conveniently for the players to play most efficiently.

SWG has changed a lot of that.  NPCs will converse with eachother.  The game forces player interaction, and the ability to make food and drink as well as social pupose buildings leaves it open to a lot of roleplaying.  Horizons implements roleplaying even more, and it will only get better I think.  Up until now, it really wasn't possible to make a dynamic MMORPG that can truely be roleplay friendly like a table-top rpg...of course it isn't as roleplay friendly as a table-top game, and it probably never will be, it's getting closer and closer with each new wave of mmo's.

Seriously, take a look at Horizons if you're looking for a roleplaying MMORPG.

Pune!

• ClownClown Member Posts: 71

DAoC has 3 servers dedicated to roleplaying, though i use the word "dediacted" loosely. but if you get into an RP guild, or alliance, i am possitive that it will supply all of your roleplaying needs. it does get annoying when you're on a roleplaying server and "UberFlam3Wizard" walks up to you and sais "can u giv gold plzz or PL me." that kinda junk always irked me. DAoC isn't very fun for me anymore, I'm seriously contemplating canceling my account with a week or two. getting to max level 3 times can really help point out where the game is lacking.

Yeah, Horizons looks like it will be so stuffed with RP possibilities that the roleplaying gland in your brain will start to salivate. Though the no PvP at all thing kind of bugs me, i value roleplaying higher than PvP .... but it's nice to know you can go out and kill the enemies of the realm every now and then, hell, PvP can even add to roleplaying. we shall see how it turns out.

• odinwiseodinwise Member Posts: 79
    dueling will apparently be available in Horizons, so that makes up for the lack of pvp in some respects.  It would be nice to see a PvP server or something to that effect.  It might just happen.  We'll see.

Pune!

PvP (and hell... even rampant PK done right) can influence roleplaying.  It just has to have its consequences.  I've been trying to say this my past couple of posts but people don't seems to be reading/comprehending my words.  meh I give up... I'm taking my roleplaying and going back to my table.  image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down with Wizards of the Coast! Long live TSR!

• ClownClown Member Posts: 71

"I'm taking my roleplaying and going back to my table."

Bleh, you're jumping the gun a little prematurely I'd say image

• tmp_assassintmp_assassin Member UncommonPosts: 20

i enjoy playing rpg.. .. i dont think its dead