Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG! WoW is a Clone. No way!

Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Yea, you hate me yet?

So explain to me in an intellegent manner. How any MMO can be a clone of something is in itself a clone?

When its all said and done IS NOT in fact a true MMORPG.  (I've argued this before in my explination to those who refuse to do some research on the MMO genre. Also know as general fing history) It is an MMOaction game. That however is for another day. SO ignoreing that. Why is it people feel the need to say WoW did it first. And yes I have seen, heard, and read people being that fking retarded. It saddens me that my fellow gamers are so misinformed. outside of opinion. Wow had deviated so much from said MMO"class based action game" its starting to take image of multiple facebook games smashed together. Its all number. You don't feel your "role"

So all in all. Who, What, When, Where, and WHY does it give any right to say X is a clone of Z. When neither are infact even genetically related. Out side of being of simular race.  (if you really want to get technicall. Yes I know there is no such thing as race but leave that part of science for another day)

Reason I mention all of this. Is I'm plainly sick of seeing asshats people go on other forms and spam the phrase "Its a clone"

Convienent no?

ps( fuck typos I'm too tired to care at the moment.)

Comments

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Well, some people need to stop comparing everything to wow.

Saying something is cloned or copied is just being stupid and ignorant. Of course many games 'borrow' features from other similar games. WHY NOT?

I can't imagine to play an mmo without the convenient UI, health bars, chat frame, quest trackers, ...  Of course people are gonna say you don't need it blabla and when a game doesn't have it they cry about the bad UI. Some people just cry about everything just for the sake of it.

Edit

And most people saying a game copied or cloned wow are 1) 12 years old or 2) have a brain the size of a peanut.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

The genre went mainstream with WoW.

Most of today's mmorpg gamers were not even dabbling in these games before WoW launched. So, when they play a game that talks like WoW, and walks like WoW, they tend to compare it to WoW. After years of studios releasing such a high number of products that use the all too familiar formula (in the hopes of snagging some of the King's citizens), is it any wonder how the term "WoW clone" was coined? Pretty simple stuff, really. 

Personally though, I prefer to use "WoW-like"/"WoW style"/"WoWish", so as not to come off in a derogatory way. It can help a former WoW player get on the same page when discussing a new mmorpg for the first time. The description would obviously go deeper than that, but it's a good point of reference for a lot of people.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Aaaaa ok I gotcha. So its not someone being serious. Its just a combination of ignorance, lack of conversation skills, misunderstanding of general live values, with a nice helping of complete retardation.

Awesome. Thank you very much. I was starting to wonder if people were being serious. Now that I know they are I can just feel sorry, pat them on the head, and give them a rat poison laced cookie.

You have a good day. Thanks again.

*edit* I came from a time of perma death, perma item loss, and the "golden age" of mmos' So this saying just really pissed me off. I thought they were just trolling on purpose. *thumb up*

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

problem is mahority of people started playing mmo with wow and such anytime they compare its bound to relate to wow.ofc those who played mmo pre wow know many ideas were "cloned" and refined from other mmorpg espically everquest.

This is a fact by the way wow developers have openly admitted .

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

WoW was the first MMO. Everyone knows this. Therefore, it cannot be a clone.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by Blackfire1

*edit* I came from a time of perma death, perma item loss, and the "golden age" of mmos' So this saying just really pissed me off. I thought they were just trolling on purpose. *thumb up*

So did I. Does it make your point or mine more valid when it comes discussion time? NOPE! :)

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

WoW is a clone of EQ, you're right.  However it changed a bunch of stuff.  Like...a ton.  Meanwhile the games that copy WoW are changing very little.  Hence the term, WoW clone.

You feel better now?

If we are looking at it from an evolution standpoint EQ was some sort of chimp and WoW is a human being.  All the new games are basically just human beings with different hair colors and eye colors.

So yes WoW clones do exist, because they are most like WoW, not like EQ.

I don't like WoW, and I don't play it.  But if you're going to copy something at least take the time to make it better.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by gauge2k3

WoW is a clone of EQ, you're right.  However it changed a bunch of stuff.  Like...a ton.  Meanwhile the games that copy WoW are changing very little.  Hence the term, WoW clone.

You feel better now?

If we are looking at it from an evolution standpoint EQ was some sort of chimp and WoW is a human being.  All the new games are basically just human beings with different hair colors and eye colors.

I don't like WoW, and I don't play it.  But if you're going to copy something at least take the time to make it better.

This is one of the better analogies I've seen regarding the difference between EQ clone and WOW clone.

Its true, EQ and WOW both had a UI, but they were quite a bit different and yes, WOW's is probably the cleaner of the two.  But many new games seem to have decided that it is the only acceptable interface (apparently so do many users) so they build their interface to mimic WOWS so closely that the term WOW clone comes up.

Perhaps at this point in time its no longer fair to call it the "WOW" interface, perhaps its now become the "standard" interface for MMORPG gaming, much like Windows became the standard interface for operating systems, just makes things a whole lot easier.

But a copied interface is one thing, unfortunately too many games mimic too many specific features from WOW, and exclude certain features and game design chioces because they really are making their game WOW - Like. (trying to use less inflammatory terminology)

Perhaps that design should now be called standard theme park design (can't think of a non-inflammatory term for it right now) then we can dispense with the WOW comparisons as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

You feel better now?

a chimp can play wow and max lvl in a few weeks while useing a fish to type with and rl mouse to point and click....a mmorpg is a mmorpg some are just easyer than others..brighter than others..and yes just plain older than others...people need to take off their wow glasses and see that there is a whole nother world of mmorpgs out there...instead of seeing that wow is the king of everything...its like bread..it started out with just a loaf **non sliced** ..now its sliced and some are packaged in pretty diff colored bags **i know right its crazy!**...but you know what..its still bread any way you cut it

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

You feel better now?

Your Xfire signature says you played wow for 2600 houres...

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Benthon

WoW was the first MMO. Everyone knows this. Therefore, it cannot be a clone.

Just like Elvis was the first rock 'n roll singer.

A few dedicated maniacs know he is not, but the rest of the 6 billion people don't care.

As for EQ? Really...: just load it up in its first edition these days and then see how silly these discussions are.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

While WoW is a clone of EQ, it lacks most of EQ's features. So its more accurate to say it is a shadow of EQ, not a clone, a small shadow. And rather than copying EQ, modern MMOs copy WoW's small scale and focus on soloing and focus on easy gameplay and having no challenge. That's how.

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

a chimp can play wow and max lvl in a few weeks while useing a fish to type with and rl mouse to point and click

man i cant stop laughing, people at work are looking at me.

im glad i can claim, i was a wow player, now i am not. i dont want to be a monkey typing with a fish(they stink) and using a real mouse to point and click(those fuckers bite!)

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Like I said: load up the original EQ1 these days and you'll know how silly these arguments really are.

I have the impression Garv didn't experience it at all.

Originally posted by pragues

Like I said: load up the original EQ1 these days and you'll know how silly these arguments really are.

Post WoW's success, EQ has actually been taking WoW's business model since then, except all the old clunkiness and programming still remains to just make the game unenjoyable now.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by pragues

I actually have. I'm not sure what you think I have wrong. EQ's scope, immersion, gameplay and class depth, as well as socializing, player interdependency, is far beyond WoW.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by joeri123

You feel better now?

Your Xfire signature says you played wow for 2600 houres...

OOPS!

2600 hours = 100 days of non-stop play 24/7

2600 hours = 4 hours per day for 650 continuous days or two years of playing everyday for 4 hours per day . . .

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Blackfire1

Yea, you hate me yet?

So explain to me in an intellegent manner. How any MMO can be a clone of something is in itself a clone?

When its all said and done IS NOT in fact a true MMORPG.  (I've argued this before in my explination to those who refuse to do some research on the MMO genre. Also know as general fing history) It is an MMOaction game. That however is for another day. SO ignoreing that. Why is it people feel the need to say WoW did it first. And yes I have seen, heard, and read people being that fking retarded. It saddens me that my fellow gamers are so misinformed. outside of opinion. Wow had deviated so much from said MMO"class based action game" its starting to take image of multiple facebook games smashed together. Its all number. You don't feel your "role"

So all in all. Who, What, When, Where, and WHY does it give any right to say X is a clone of Z. When neither are infact even genetically related. Out side of being of simular race.  (if you really want to get technicall. Yes I know there is no such thing as race but leave that part of science for another day)

Reason I mention all of this. Is I'm plainly sick of seeing asshats people go on other forms and spam the phrase "Its a clone"

Convienent no?

ps( fuck typos I'm too tired to care at the moment.)

Rift is still a wow clone :p

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Hmm, I play WoW, that must mean im not a "cool kid".

I will agree that World of Warcraft has impacted the MMORPG genre greatly, both pros & cons.  One downside to these impacts, in my opinion, is that too much of the mystery and discovery has gone the way of the dodo.  After all, who reads quest descriptions any more?  Lets just smack a big dot and colored overlay to the map where the person needs to go in order to complete the quest.

This brings me to my main point.  It isn't only the games that have changed!  The prospective market for MMO titles has expanded dramatically.  There are still niche titles for what people like to coin themselves as "hardcore", those games being developed by indie companies.  When a large game development firm is ready to invest large amounts of capital into a project, they are going to focus on the largest target market they can.  Maximize profits!  After all, even if a developer creates games because he loves gaming, he has an obligation to his family to bring home the bacon, even if that means sacrificing some complex gameplay elements in order to appeal to the larger market.

Anyways, I will agree that leveling in WoW takes the intelligence equivalent that of a slug, but endgame has been relatively engaging this recent expansion.  It gets especially fun when you raid with friends you have played games with for several years.  I think we can all agree that WoW has succeeded in bringing enjoyment to millions, some of who play it on a daily basis and have fun in doing so.  So if the purpose of a game is be both profitable for the company and fun for the consumer, by that logic WoW must be a successful game.

Oh, and as for those who claim WoW is not an MMORPG.  Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.  It is massive, multiplayer, and online.  It is also a role playing game.

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Just shame that people who you target by this probably wont read it, because they know they would die after finding out the truth.

But you said it so well.. I can even say that WoW stole some thing from Ragnarok online (but it probably wont be truth cause I havent tried every MMO before Ragnarok so I cant be sure - but what the hell a lot of ppl say that so.. its gotta be right, right? :D) and? Did it even worse MMO than that.. xD But thats just my opinion - so is all those ppl who thinks WoW did everything "first". Because ppl who know something about the MMO industry wouldnt say that, and if so, they would know they were lying. People can get to informations, they just dont want to, they rather adopt a modern trend and dont worry about it if it is actualy the truth. Then.. whatever, but when they say that advertising does no influence I just laugh, cause.. you know, they are evidence.. xD

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO