Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW community drove me away. How about you?

EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

I know it may sound stupid. I mean there is an ignore button. But I'd have to use it every 10 minutes. The game forces you to pug across servers in order to make the progress you need to do raids. (Whens the last time you seen someone spamming that they were looking for a dungeon group in chat?) Now I know you can argue that maybe I should join a good guild that has people that will run them with me, but I actually like meeting new people that are outside my guild. I feel like the majority of the community rips on other games without a proper knowledge of them. I feel like the majority of people that play WoW are ignorant of other mmos period. Its like most of these people are incapable of liking WoW and another game. Like only one can be good. Anyway, the population killed it for me as it is not what it once was. I feel like I'm at an unsupervised Chuck E Cheese when I play the game.

Comments

• FibbinFibbin Member Posts: 114

I just got bored with the game plain and simple. Plus the whole e-sports thing turned me off

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

I agree that Cataclysm was a let down. I'm just glad Rift is on the way.

• MimiEZMimiEZ Member Posts: 225

No, I like the in-game community. About 60% are nice, mature people, 35% are immature weirdos and 5% are weird elitist, the last 2 groups just happen to be the loudest. Better than what I've seen in Eve.

Forums on the other hand seem to be the opposite. 

I stopped playing because I was getting bored.

-I want a Platformer MMO

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

majority of my friends left.

was a hard core raider, then became a casual gamer (due to my job).

can't expiernce endgame if you're a casual game.

constant nerf/tweaks.

and yes, the kiddies playing ruined the community.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I meet plenty of nice people and few asshats.  Perhaps that is because I don't feel that I am "forced" to do one thing or another.  I can group with random people from other servers and have a good time or people on my own server. 

Wow has an incredibly diverse playerbase and if you can't find some like minded people to play with then maybe the problem does rest with millions of other players.  

• likeafoxlikeafox Member UncommonPosts: 49

I got bored of the game myself, I pretty much played every class because they nerfed whatever class I was playing at the current time to the ground. I quit 2 times already and done with it for good now. Cataclysm was the last straw for me. I'm only looking forward to TERA and GW2, and obviously Diablo 3 to kill time with.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Daffid011

I meet plenty of nice people and few asshats.  Perhaps that is because I don't feel that I am "forced" to do one thing or another.  I can group with random people from other servers and have a good time or people on my own server. 

Wow has an incredibly diverse playerbase and if you can't find some like minded people to play with then maybe the problem does rest with millions of other players.  

I didn't say I could not find like minded people. What I did say is that the game forces you to group with random people you do not know. This makes for no reprucussions for ninja looters etc.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Epicent

I didn't say I could not find like minded people. What I did say is that the game forces you to group with random people you do not know. This makes for no reprucussions for ninja looters etc.

Ah I remember PUGing in a group and 1 person would constantly role need for everything...

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

pre-Cata 4.0 laid the groundwork for me wanting to leave.  Still, decided to give Cata a try - and - was done in a week.  It was only the second time I had ever felt like I had wasted money on a game (the first being DoW2).

edit:  In regard to the community, honestly - anybody that thinks any community is different is just kidding themselves.  Sure, if you stick within a small group of people; you will probably think that a game has a good community - go beyond that, and you will likely find there is not much difference from game to game.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

It does not really force you do so.  You have just as much the option to group with people you know.  Just because the game has a randon Dungeon Finder does not mean that you can't group with your friends and do the same content. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The dungeon finder is a convenience and there are plenty of other methods to find groups to play with.  You are not forced to use the dungeon finder tool or group with random strangers from other servers.  It just takes a litle more effort. 

If you need something, then click need on the button.  If it isn't something you need, then the most you will get "ninja looted" is something that sells for 10 or so gold to a vendor.  Hardly worth quitting a game over.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by wallet113

Ah I remember PUGing in a group and 1 person would constantly role need for everything...

I don't know what game you are playing but it wasn't WOW for sure.

NEW since a few years:

You can't roll "need" on gear that's not "appropriate" for your class these days.

Example: a Holy paladin can not roll need  for cloth or leather healing gear.,. neither can a mage roll need for mail or plate etc ...

So remember this for your next posts... how "bad" the system is. Problem is: it doesn't work the way you describe it.

Odd I always find these "subtle" things in these posts.

Bye Ninja mechanics. It has been fixed already for 2 years ... Is it that long you haven't been playing ?

When you post about WOW, at least play it. The answer above simply shows you didn't even touch it in recent years.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

The community takes a thick skin, sure, but I left WoW for personal reasons. The biggest being my guild thought it would be a good idea to server transfer off. They wanted me to come (Being top DPS in the guild), but I had to decline. Left with a dying guild and a ton of wasted money, effort and time invested, I decided to just quit the game. Thinking DCUO or Rift now.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

It was a variety of reasons for me, though some of the horrible experiences in the LFD were the tip of the iceberg that pushed me to try Rift's beta one random afternoon.

I think I just played it too long over the years. I didn't want to do the gear grind to raid yet again, first time that happened. Was motivated enough to check out the new quests and new zones, which were good, but it was far too short. Leveled up 1 toon through the old world to check that out, was cool, but got to 85 and hit that "meh" wall where the fun seemed to end for me. I find it interesting how the engaging stories held me and they were good enough that I wanted MORE of that to unlock, not gear grinding.

I was in a cool guild too, lots of good people....but I just could not drag myself to log in after awhile...I guess because I'm bored but I'm not really sure. I dont hate on the game, its good for what it is and I most certainly had fun over the years. Either way, after checking out Rift, I realized how much I craved a whole new experience/world to play in. I'll probably be back at some point, though I think my raiding/dungeon days for just WoW itself are done. I do not wish to deal with the dps epeen, gearscore, be spec A or else, e-sport its devolved into anymore (of which I most certainly was a part of, but finally realized how shallow it become). I want to play an mmo for the social/persistant world. This may sound odd but WoW felt more like an Xbox Live account these latter days, but maybe thats just me.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Fibbin

I just got bored with the game plain and simple. Plus the whole e-sports thing turned me off

same here, blizz is ruining the classes trying to balance them around arena/pvp

and for all the money blizz has right now they won't give an appearance tab, player housing/guild hall or a better crafting system and WoW has no endgame except getting gear and once your main is geared I suppose blizz thinks you suppose to do the same with alts....

WoW has just lost it's charm

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by pragues

NEW since a few years:

You can't roll "need" on gear that's not "appropriate" for your class these days.

Example: a Holy paladin can not roll need  for cloth or leather healing gear.,. neither can a mage roll need for mail or plate etc ...

So remember this for your next posts... how "bad" the system is. Problem is: it doesn't work the way you describe it.

Bye Ninja mechanics. It has been fixed already for 2 years ... Is it that long you haven't been playing ?

When you post about WOW, at least play it. The answer above simply shows you didn't even touch it in recent years.

Simply not true . . .

I was in heroic Throne of Tides healing with my priest and a ret pally rolled need on a trinket with spirit claiming it was for his offspec. It has been the agreement that on non-main spec items you only roll need after all main spec toons pass. The ret pally also rolled need on every ring, weapon and armor that he could regardless of the stats on the gear. It was obvious he was ninja looting.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Maybe it's time to boot up single player RPG's.

With the ability to ignore people and group with whoever you want, I don't see how a community could drive you away. I think you need some thicker skin sir, the real world is as bad if not worse than any WoW community could ever be.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I don't like the general comminity, but I've grown to not really let them effect me... I mostly quit because I just got tired of the game.

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by dragonbrand

Originally posted by pragues

NEW since a few years:

Simply not true . . .

I was in heroic Throne of Tides healing with my priest and a ret pally rolled need on a trinket with spirit claiming it was for his offspec. It has been the agreement that on non-main spec items you only roll need after all main spec toons pass. The ret pally also rolled need on every ring, weapon and armor that he could regardless of the stats on the gear. It was obvious he was ninja looting.

Simply  - False. Of course the off spec ret pally could roll need for ... a trinket. Most people accept the off specs can be rolled for in ... "yawn" dungeon runs....

-- But he could NEVER roll NEED for cloth, leather, mail items of the NON plate armor types. Changes were made around 2 years ago.

Everyone who plays will know the "need" button is simply greyed out in these cases.

People should play the game instead of reading wrong info on  forum posts. To the guy a few posts back who said he didn't notice any changes in the last 2 years about this lack of a "need" function ... what more is there to prove ?

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

I played about a month after the launch, it felt like I was babysitting and not getting paid. no thanks.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I mostly solo but even still, yeah, the community is pretty bad.   To be fair, I think it's just a vocal few percent that spam all the garbarge.    However, that's not why I left.  I quit Wow because of the bait and switch.     While Wow is very accomodating letting you solo til the endgame, after that it's raid or give up.      I just hated that groupers get progressive content with progressive loot and soloers get nothing close.   

If nothing else, Wow taught me to look for that first before even setting foot in an MMO and any game that's like that won't see me play for long.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

More than just the community, but yeah a big part was the "babyish" community. Trade chat is full of youngsters who indulge in all the potty talk mommy and daddy wont allow them to use at home, so they use WoW as their outlet. Forget about Raiding in PUGs..they all suck....forget about Raiding in a guild, as the dungeon raids take a long time to organize and then fall apart fast. Al

l the good guilds have left.

• DarthMechDarthMech Member UncommonPosts: 40

yes it did for the third time and last time!! way to many kids and know it all buttheads in wow, goodbye and good ridance!

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I played WOW for a few years.  I finally decided that it has been about 50 years since I got out of Jr. High School and here I was back again.  So I left.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

<----100% pure wow ,last time i checked wow people were screaming @nal instead of Dirge.

and then they wonder why they cant find teams and such and dungeon finder is a must.

Generation P