Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thought this game was free?

brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
I thought this game was free? I went to sign my account back up from when I cancelled in June '02, but it wanted to charge me $15 a month. Did they switch back to p2p?

Comments

• SuperZwerverSuperZwerver Member Posts: 293

I think you will have to start a new account (if it's still possible).

Flych - 70 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin - Tarren Mill (EU)
    Mediocre - 70 Undead Discipline Priest - Tarren Mill (EU)

• BalaczarBalaczar Member UncommonPosts: 36

http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/ad_campaigns/freecampaign/

Its still free, just have to be a new character.

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261
    No the game is not free.  There is a promo on which lets a NEW player try the basic game for free till January 2006.  The aim is to get people interested enough to want the expansions and start paying.
  • BronenekBronenek Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Red_Rider
    No the game is not free. There is a promo on which lets a NEW player try the basic game for free till January 2006. The aim is to get people interested enough to want the expansions and start paying.
    Yep, and it sure has done so. It used to be just me playing the game back in the day, for about 3 years now. I asked a few of my friends to join me, but they said the graphics sucked and didn't give it a try.

When this promo came out, I asked them again to try it, since it will be free for a year. As usual when they came on the game, they started complaining about the graphics, but after having played with me for a few hours, they really got into it. They even bought all the expansion packs and started paying for it! So glad to have friends playing now. ::::02::

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Leon3986o

No the game is not free. There is a promo on which lets a NEW player try the basic game for free till January 2006. The aim is to get people interested enough to want the expansions and start paying.

Yep, and it sure has done so. It used to be just me playing the game back in the day, for about 3 years now. I asked a few of my friends to join me, but they said the graphics sucked and didn't give it a try.

When this promo came out, I asked them again to try it, since it will be free for a year. As usual when they came on the game, they started complaining about the graphics, but after having played with me for a few hours, they really got into it. They even bought all the expansion packs and started paying for it! So glad to have friends playing now. ::::02::

This goes to show that gameplay towers over graphics.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Originally posted by Leon3986o

Absoluetly true about the graphics  not making a good game. EQ2 being a perfect example, great graphics but the gameplay could gag a maggot.
  • farokfarok Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Agreed, I played EQ2 for a while and it was very pretty, but the gameplay was just not any good.
  • JimudJimud Member Posts: 252
    Now to find a game with gr8 game play n gr8 grapics image n anarchys graphpics arent bad I'd say they are quite good seen as thought it came out in 1999.
  • juksjuks Member Posts: 2
    Well, thats the problem with most games, not only Online games. Most of the effort and money goes to grafics, while the storyline and gameplay is really weak. I still have and play many old(~1994-1998) games that have basically no grafics, but still eccelent games
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I think AO has the steepest learning curve of any MMO I've ever played.  A few hours after you start a character you can wind up in a shop in Rome, staring at room the size of a gymnasium with at least 200 tradeskill vendors.  I understand the tradeskill/implant system but learning where to buy what is really challenging.  Sifting through all those vendors is VERY tedious so having someone around who knows the ropes would really help alot.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Originally posted by Chieftan

I think AO has the steepest learning curve of any MMO I've ever played.  A few hours after you start a character you can wind up in a shop in Rome, staring at room the size of a gymnasium with at least 200 tradeskill vendors.  I understand the tradeskill/implant system but learning where to buy what is really challenging.  Sifting through all those vendors is VERY tedious so having someone around who knows the ropes would really help alot.

lol and finding out where to hunt at what lvl is also prity hard most people end up doing missions not dissing them but they get abit boring aswell when you havent got a car/ship and ur running like what feels like 100 miles damn that W key.
  • MaDaPsychoMaDaPsycho Member Posts: 15
    Put something heavy on the "W" tangent? image

Never Argue Argue With An idiot!
    They'll Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience

lol u can just press w then hit enter auto runs forward.but still damn takes agesssssss
  • IvanRashnuIvanRashnu Member Posts: 178

Fun.com announced the game would be free until January 2006. But if you upgraded your account to any expansion, you can't reverse it to normal anymore. You need to create a new account if you want to play free.

In my opinion, Run Speed should be green for every professions or the game should enable the players to have vehicles at low levels, the prizes should decrease a bit. There's no use causing people waste their times while they are running for their mission or hunting location. The quicker you allow people to take part in the events (missions, hunt etc) the better

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

old players didn't get vehicles in the beginning...
    so fr00bs shouldn't either

I had also yalm and I waited a long to get enough funds to afford that. That's merely a suggestion. Your remarks are fairly selfish, I have to say. What if they change that in a patch in the future with the reason of saving people's time? I'd rather save my time than wasting it with log runs. By the way, my suggestion is general suggestion, I didn't care about the newbies and old players

i dunno i dont think the cars in game cost too much only around 57,000 i saw one in green rome for i think.could get that.

The cars aren't as fast as the yalms do even though they boost your run speed skill more than yalms do. My soldier had a vehicle ground, but he couldn't go faster than my engineer :) my engineer had the cheapest yalm. Whatever, the point in here is saving much time to take part in the events you're going for. It can be accomplished by making run speed green for each profession.Both Rubi-Ka and also Shadowlands are so huge.. Personally, I hate wasting my time with those damn long run, my many high levels moaned about it, too. I could have enjoyed more with the time I wasted while I was running.. ::::02::

• kuza55kuza55 Member Posts: 12

bah, as much as it may suck running, if you try you can easily get a mission close to a grid or wompah exit, and if you're trying to get a specific item, it makes sense that you can't be there in 10 secs and finish the mish in 2 more minutes, 'cos then the value of everything would drop if it was all so easy to get, I think they way FC have done things is great, I just wish there were more hunting grounds in RK for lvl 60-100 players, since CoH doesn't give much xp, just loot.......

• MaDaPsychoMaDaPsycho Member Posts: 15
    Well I'm one of them who play for free now, but I have really got in to this game and even if it's only free until January 2006 I'll start paying for it after my "free-time" is over! image

Never Argue Argue With An idiot!
    They'll Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience

There was a campaign that offered 9.95 $ only to have all expansions. I thought just like you when I was playing on free account. There was another campaign like that one , but I missed it. I sent an e-mail to Fun.com and requested another campaign for the people who want to upgrade their accounts, fortunately, I was responded by an ARK's message that says there was enormous number of people had been asking for new campaign. Thank goodness, after several days Fun.com announced they launched a new offer.I upgraded my account after a talk with an ARK about the fees. Although I've seen banner in here about the 9.95 $ offer lastly, I think it is no more. Apparently you should request another campaign like me ::::01::