Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Money making advice?

BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

Hey I know this has probably been posted before, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make gold? I am looking to save for a dragon pickaxe, which are very expensive. I only have a million saved so far but it is taking a very long time. 

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Make raw materials.

When I played with a very low farming level I was farming basic herbs and making 40K-80K every 90 mins(only needing like 10  of those 90 mins traveling if you have the teleports).

Iron bars are also a good bet(it's also a lot cheaper to buy the ring).  Other bars mights be depending on coal.

With a high level magic you might be able to get away with enchanting depending on what the exchange is doing.

Pretty much look at EVERYTHING your character can do.   Then look up all those outputs, and the cost of how much it would be to buy everything  Do a little accounting for time and it's pretty easy to min max.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

what are your combat stats

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

Attack 51, DEF 45, STR 60, CON 54, RNG 27, Prayer 41, Magic 52. My highest skill is 70 mining, I have a 61 smithing so I can make most mithril stuff. I can also make elemental bodies which seem to only sell on weekends and the prices have been droping.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by Bathnor

Attack 51, DEF 45, STR 60, CON 54, RNG 27, Prayer 41, Magic 52. My highest skill is 70 mining, I have a 61 smithing so I can make most mithril stuff. I can also make elemental bodies which seem to only sell on weekends and the prices have been droping.

Staking is by far the best/quickest way to make money.  However you don't really have the stats for staking (alot of people have 1 prayer).  You could google a box staking guide and just be hesistant of who you stake, mainly sticking to fighting other mains with similar stats to you.  However that is a huge risk.

If you want to skill, i would recommend fishing or runecrafting.  With inflation alot of the skills actually cost money to raise rather than make money.  However with the re-introduction of the wild fish and other consumables are always going to be needed and will be easy to sell.  Runes are the same way.  I haven't skilled in a while (i'm a staker) but i remember being able to make upwards of 300k an hour runecrafting natures and laws.  Hope this helps

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Staking is really nothing more than gambling. Even then, it's only if your account is specifically designed for staking, if you know how to stake, and know how to avoid getting scammed while staking. As a note, your account is not designed for staking, so I certainly wouldn't engage in it if I were you.

Farming herbs is really a "must do" for anyone looking to make regular, reliable cash. It is very profitable when you hit all 4 herb patches every 90 minutes. At level 32 you can plant Ranarr, and at 38 you can do Toadflax. It's recommended that you complete the quest "Fairy Tale Part I" to get the magic secateurs to enhance your crop yields. Also growing and selling marigolds while you're there adds about 15K GP per Farming run. You can easily get 100-200K profit per run, each of which usually takes about 5-15 minutes every 90 minutes. Always use super compost and secataurs, and cash will flow in.

In between herb runs, I'd recommend:

• Raising your Slayer skill. While at the lower levels it's not always very profitable, at much higher levels that's when you can kill some very profitable mobs (Abyssal Demons, Spiritual Mages, etc.).

• Iron ore mining is quickly becoming profitable again. There's a mining area in "Port Khazard" just west of the Fishing Trawler. Mine the ore there, and bank either in Yanille, or use the safe deposit box on the dock opposite the Fishing Trawler.  If you have a decent summoning level and have a familiar that can haul items for you, all the better.

• Smelting cannonballs can make you a decent amount of GP / hour, but the XP / hour is pretty miserable.

• Killing herb-dropping mobs is great money, most notably "Chaos Druids" and "Flesh Crawlers". Make sure you're only keeping the best herbs.

• If you have the guts to venture into the widlerness, and the patience to deal with botters/gold farmers, killing "Green Dragons" are very profitable. Dragon Bones and Green Dragon Hides are worth a fortune.

• Use Hunter to trap Swamp Lizards in the Canafis/Morytania swamp.

• Cutting Oak Logs are the perfect blend of GP and XP for lower-level woodcutters, and there are many locations where you are right near a bank.

Those are some recommendations for reliable, skill-gaining methods for making money in RS at this time in history. There are other less-reliable methods, like "boss" hunting, "merching" and "staking", but they are not reliable, and sometimes you can go very long periods of time LOSING money before you gain anything, if you ever even profit. I have no advice for those options.

There are other methods to make money, oftentimes more, that require you to engage in tasks that do not also gain XP. Avoid these. In the big scheme of things, RS is about gaining XP. The "opportunity cost" for doing something only for money, and not raising your skills, is really far too great to be worthwhile in the long run.

Good luck.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

Thannks for the advice. I still don't have anywhere near the 10 mil for the dragon pickaxe.

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

Back when I played last time, top three of money making were dueling, merchanting and double nature runes, excluding multi-tasking. Oh well, I guess it's not the same anymore, although the first two may now apply if I read the latest news right. :-)

This discussion has been closed.