Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming on 4G wifi (clear network)?

therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So, as Massachusetts resident, competition in the broadband market is a bit underwhelming (not as bad as rural markets though).  Basically, each provider has to apply to get into a town and that is a protracted process.  Where I live, it's basically Comcast and they hold us for ransom.  I'm seeing the rise of 4G internet and getting mail to switch to the Clear network.  Given I'm in a major metropolitan area, just outside of Boston and with decent coverage, the thought of a single internet source that I can take with me anywhere is kind of appealing.

Has anyone gone this route for gaming and all of their internet needs (including possibly video streaming?)

Comments

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Actually, having started to read their forums, things are sounding a bit questionable there.  Not that the happy people are necessarily running to post and say "I'm happy", but I see some not-so-good things there.  Guess we'll have to see how the technology matures.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've gamed on 3g (AT&T) cellular before. It works, but there is a noticeable latency. The connection speed also degrades rapidly as your cell tower gets congested.

Your provider in your area may be better or worse, there are a lot of factors that will affect your cellular data speed and latency.

Also, as mentioned before, make sure you read the fine print in your contract. Cellular data plans are becoming increasingly limited, and you very probably will have a data cap, over which your speed can be throttled, or the price per byte of traffic go up at an alarming rate.