Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incoming new Star Trek MMO

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

http://startrek-is.com/

Takes place in the DS9 timeline, something to keep an eye on.

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Hmm interesting, never heard of this one.  Wonder if it will be like the Battlestar Galactica browser game that came out recently....

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Yeah I read an article about this not long ago. Sounds fun.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1147728p1.html

Always read the small print.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by Worstluck

Hmm interesting, never heard of this one.  Wonder if it will be like the Battlestar Galactica browser game that came out recently....

Yes It will be a browser game ,browser games are the wave of future mmo's, my bet is within the next 5 years just about all mmo's will be browser.

If done right this could be great, I will follow this game for sure.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Warjin

http://startrek-is.com/

Takes place in the DS9 timeline, something to keep an eye on.

its nice but its not really free though i sure they have a my shop thing so to say its free its really not :P

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Only 2 factions againimage

Having played battlestar galactica online i don't see this being that much more than a basic pseudo shooter and heavy on the cash shop, since they both utilise unity

Still chances are it'll be better than the current offering. 

Fingers crossed

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

For a brief moment in time I was beyond excited to get a DS9 based MMO.

Then I went to that site and saw a broswer based F2P game.  Oh well, the feeling was awesome while it lastedimage.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Looks fail, IMO.

I guess you get what you paid for.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Cool! I just signed up!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Why do gamemakers insist on making the Klingons enemies? It makes no sense in the DS9 timeline.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by ktanner3

Why do gamemakers insist on making the Klingons enemies? It makes no sense in the DS9 timeline.

that tells me they dont care about the lore of the game  just the money it will bring in

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by skullquaker

that tells me they dont care about the lore of the game  just the money it will bring in

Actually, for about one year, it was in the DS9 timeline. The Klingon Empire went to war with the Cardassians, believing the new civilian government heads (at least some) to be Founders. The Federation refused to declare war on the Cardassians without proof, and the Klingons withdrew from the Khitomer Accords. The Klingons became increasingly aggressive to their neighbors, and Gowron demanded that the Federation withdrawal from the Archanis Sector. The Federation refused of course, and the Klingons launched a full-scale attack on the Federation.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by skullquaker

It makes alot of sense. The one above me has stated, they did launch a large attack on DS9 too.

It's hard to stay at peace with a warrior like nation. They are a nation of warriors instead of soldiers...warriors need to conquor and fight to adhere to their goals. Eventually their nature would cause a fall-out of some kind.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

lol, """The game will be a free-to-play casual browser game"""

And this will be next gen star trek mmo ??

Back in 2000 was Java the next generation language for games regards many

fortune tellers, and how many mmo games are that today in that language except 

Browser games that are sooooo sucessfull today :D ?

The easiest way to get many eyes on a game, whatever the intention is. 

• make a fansy and nice good looking hompage

• write a story

• Put up a movie with fansy arts scanned in and show it in motion view.

• Put "Free to play" so all can see it clear. 

Then you have Hyperate on 7.5 on this page!!

Maybe sucess on, Ipad, mobi etc.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by FireFork

lol, """The game will be a free-to-play casual browser game"""

And this will be next gen star trek mmo ??

Back in 2000 was Java the next generation language for games regards many

fortune tellers, and how many mmo games are that today in that language except 

Browser games that are sooooo sucessfull today :D ?

I take it you never heard of Zynga? It's browser games may not run off of Java, but there's no denying that companies games are successful. Recent devlopments in browser gaming technology mean that you can get some fairly good games that are browser based now. They may not replace standard MMOs, but just writing them off is foolish.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Warjin

Originally posted by Worstluck

Yes It will be a browser game ,browser games are the wave of future mmo's, my bet is within the next 5 years just about all mmo's will be browser.

If done right this could be great, I will follow this game for sure.

I totally agree, all the F2P trash will move to the Browser along with every hack that wants to make an MMO.  Triple A title MMO's will still be installed client side to properly interface with high end systems.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Browser games are just not good enough to be taken seriously right now.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Originally posted by birdycephon

I have to seriously agree.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

While browser based games aren't my thing, to dismiss them is rather foolish. You may not believe it, but today's 'casual' MMO is still too hardcore for a great many people to pick up and play.  I have a lawyer-friend who won't play MMOs because he's afraid of the time investment, but plays browser-based games all the time. As a poster abover mentioned, Zynga is a multi-million dollar success story because of its browser games that realize this fact.

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

im not gonna waste my time with this one, im gonna stick to playing STO.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

If browser games are the wave of the future.

I'll just wait for the next next wave after to come rolling in.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

You are so wrong about browser games. I have played for 2 years now the browser based racing simulator called iracing.

It is fast / smooth and totaly enjoyable racing with no hint of lag, when you are playing you dont even realise it is browser based.