Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is not very caster friendly.

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

So, I'm a complete newb to DaoC.  I'm enjoying it for the most part, it has a nice feel to it, even though the UI, movement and combat are outdated.  That being said, the game so far is only fun if I play a melee class.  

Casting a spell at a mob that suddenly is in your face and you literally cannot cast any more spells due to interrupts...I dont understand how casters are supposed to even level up in this game without a group?  I understand it's trying to be realistic, but it comes at the price of having fun or progressing as a caster.

If they ever make a DaoC 2 they had better make casters akin to games like Vanguard, squishy but still able to cast a spell since it's their ONLY attack.

Also, what is it with old MMOs and lack of tooltips when hovering over spell/combat/skill descriptions?  Guess I'm spoiled by modern MMO conventions.  Still, I'm not above appreciating games that have come before.  I AM having a ton of fun with the Armsman class and using Pikes.

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by elocke

So, I'm a complete newb to DaoC.  I'm enjoying it for the most part, it has a nice feel to it, even though the UI, movement and combat are outdated.  That being said, the game so far is only fun if I play a melee class.  

Casting a spell at a mob that suddenly is in your face and you literally cannot cast any more spells due to interrupts...I dont understand how casters are supposed to even level up in this game without a group?  I understand it's trying to be realistic, but it comes at the price of having fun or progressing as a caster.

If they ever make a DaoC 2 they had better make casters akin to games like Vanguard, squishy but still able to cast a spell since it's their ONLY attack.

Also, what is it with old MMOs and lack of tooltips when hovering over spell/combat/skill descriptions?  Guess I'm spoiled by modern MMO conventions.  Still, I'm not above appreciating games that have come before.  I AM having a ton of fun with the Armsman class and using Pikes.

Becuase you're in the lower levels. Later on, possibly in the mid-levels, you'll find that casting while being hit isn't all that difficult if you spam it enough. It's done this way because casters are REALLY strong past the low level range, and if they weren't interrupted when hit in melee they'd be the Alpha class of the game. Hell, at lvl 50 I had a capped casting speed & capped dex Eldritch that would literally take almost a quarter of a second to cast hit high end nukes. I'd two to three shot other casters in under a second in RvR.

I will admit however, they need to appropriate help the lower-end leveling out with some sort of merc system like EQ has done, as the /free 20s has ruined the game. Worst, decision, EVER.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• trillahtrillah Member CommonPosts: 158

hi, it would help a little if you could tell us your class. To tell the truth this game is the most caster friendly in pve imo.

Since your playing armsman Ill guess your caster is from albion also. The cabalist use a pet so there is no problem there, you just have him tank while you dot the mob, same with sorcerer. so that leave us with what, wizard and theugist. At later levels you wont have to do it but maybe you should just , bolt bolt root, bolt bolt dd with wizard and dd, dd, dd, root pet pet pet if your a theurgist.

But you need to be more specific on class and spec because a class play so differently if you spec one way

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Well, afair as a caster you have several tools for sort of crowd/movement control:

Root

Snare

Stun

Mezz

also the "quickcast" ability which makes the next spell uninteruptable but has a serious cooldown

and instant casts.

Chose your tools right, maybe you have even a tanking pet that gets the aggro for you and any well chosen ai-opponent should be dead at your feet if ever reaching you.

You can have a tooltip to any cast/ability but i do not remember how it worked, was it with shift and click?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by trillah

hi, it would help a little if you could tell us your class. To tell the truth this game is the most caster friendly in pve imo.

Since your playing armsman Ill guess your caster is from albion also. The cabalist use a pet so there is no problem there, you just have him tank while you dot the mob, same with sorcerer. so that leave us with what, wizard and theugist. At later levels you wont have to do it but maybe you should just , bolt bolt root, bolt bolt dd with wizard and dd, dd, dd, root pet pet pet if your a theurgist.

But you need to be more specific on class and spec because a class play so differently if you spec one way

I made one of every class, I'm crazy like that. Mostly because I'm not sure which class I want to go really deep with yet, so many to choose from :D  So, my first foray into casters was an Animist for Hybernia.  Very confusing too.  I'm LOVING melee classes though lol and that's very unusual for me, most games I play ranged dps of some sort, usually casters.  Guess I just need to try other casters or go about attacking things differently then.  

I think this game nailed the melee perfectly, it was never done before nor after. It truly have  a unique feel to it, positionning, endurance management , styles... very fun.. anyway animist is simply the worst class to start off , its one of the hardest class in the game for newb.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815

Try the Cabalist, it is great fun if you like pet classes. Or, try the Minstrel, for a varied character with some casting, some melee, and some other cool abilities. Plus, mini's can control pets that are higher level than they are.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I think this game nailed the melee perfectly, it was never done before nor after. It truly have  a unique feel to it, positionning, endurance management , styles... very fun.. anyway animist is simply the worst class to start off , its one of the hardest class in the game for newb.

Yea, Animist is crazy hard. Once you figure out the ground targeting, it's not as bad. Definitely not a good starting class.

For the OP, use the Camelot Herald to look at the skills for each class: http://www.camelotherald.com/section.php?id=15

Depending on which caster you play, you will get some sort of CC ability within the first few levels (or a pet). I highly recommend the Albion Heretic. One of my favorite classes in the game. Here's a good example of a caster utility spell in DAOC: http://www.camelotherald.com/spells/spell.php?sp_id=5440

Also, I recommend the Midgard Thane (a combination of melee and magic). The Thane is my favorite class in DAOC.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by gigat

Yea, Animist is crazy hard. Once you figure out the ground targeting, it's not as bad. Definitely not a good starting class.

For the OP, use the Camelot Herald to look at the skills for each class: http://www.camelotherald.com/section.php?id=15

Depending on which caster you play, you will get some sort of CC ability within the first few levels (or a pet). I highly recommend the Albion Heretic. One of my favorite classes in the game. Here's a good example of a caster utility spell in DAOC: http://www.camelotherald.com/spells/spell.php?sp_id=5440

Also, I recommend the Midgard Thane (a combination of melee and magic). The Thane is my favorite class in DAOC.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.  Yeah, Animist I picked because it starts with the letter A so going alphabetically lol.  That's the only problem with having 20+ classes to choose from, never knowing which will be the ONE that is you.  Hehe.  I'm OK with pet classes, I prefer straight up nukers or nukers with heals, like the Fury in EQ2.  I mean I can play any class, that's why I love MMORPGs but I lean toward magic dps.

I just went to the Daoc site and realize my account had a 14 days free trial attached to it so if you want to look me up , I usually play starting at 8h pm east every night, we could maybe start a character together  (any realm except hibernia) just pm me here if you feel like it.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by gigat

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.  Yeah, Animist I picked because it starts with the letter A so going alphabetically lol.  That's the only problem with having 20+ classes to choose from, never knowing which will be the ONE that is you.  Hehe.  I'm OK with pet classes, I prefer straight up nukers or nukers with heals, like the Fury in EQ2.  I mean I can play any class, that's why I love MMORPGs but I lean toward magic dps.

Yea that's one thing I love about DAOC, so many classes to choose from. What I ended up doing was picking a single realm to focus on (Midgard), and then played whatever classes I thought looked intersting. I ended up leveling two Thanes (first one was a Dwarf, the second one was a Frostalf with the higher Piety for increased magic damage).

The Thane, it's a nuker and a tank. I would stand on keep walls and blast away enemies with my spells from range, and if they got too close, I had heavy armor and weapons just in case :)

• Rayvn199Rayvn199 Member Posts: 14

Don't know how things have changed over the years, but the game was meant to be played with groups.  I knew ONE person back in the day, who actually did mostly solo his character to 50.

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

Other good casters would be sorcerer (Alb) or Spiritmaster (Mid) they both have lifetap and can have pets.

Pm me if you need help ingame, im about to open my account again.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    To be sure casters in DAOC play differently than modern mmos in that it really is important you kill your target before it reaches you or you have to root and run. Make sure you attack targets that are weak to your magic type, it does make a difference.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon