Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The old republic in top 25 list of most anticipated on gamasutra

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Found this on gamasutra

It shows the top 25 listed games  on there and ToR is 19th in america and 18th in UK.

Few things to note: first off this is in with all games together that are anticpated, that includes Ps3, Xbox, Wii and computer games so it's in along with things like Gears of war, daiblo 3, legend of zelda and such.  Still thats pretty good for an MMO. Not omg impressive but darn good showing to say the least i think.

Heres the link: 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33076/Survey_Shows_Gears_Of_War_3_As_Most_Anticipated_Purchase_In_US_UK.php

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Pokemon is in third and fourth?

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Third and fifth but yeah, people go crazy over it.

It's the battles with each other (aka the pvp).  Some people get really good at it.  Like really really good at it.

Note: one is the black version, one is the white version.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Hmm I don't see GW2 on there. But it's so hyped in this site,  you would think it would be on there since it's the second coming.

In Bioware we trust!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I was surprised by some of the rankings there....   GoW3.. well,  yeah I'm going to buy it,  but its not really my first placer. 

What really struck me as odd.... No Skyrim.

All 3 BioWare titles are listed that are set to release this year.   Pokemon should definitely be one of the tops as its incredibly popular and always sells really well.  Twisted Metal though?

Really interesting results.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

The list made me think.

I think there is no clearer evidence of the wide gap between the gamer community in general and the mmorpg.com community of - for a large part - disgruntled, jaded and seeking MMO gamers: on that most anticipated list SWTOR is the only MMO game mentioned, while on the mmorpg.com most anticipated list you see GW2, Rift and Xsyon rank higher.

Nothing bad said about those 3 games, but I'm willing to bet that outside of this site hardly anyone knows of Xsyon or even cares about it.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

The list made me think.

I think there is no clearer evidence of the wide gap between the gamer community in general and the mmorpg.com community of - for a large part - disgruntled, jaded and seeking MMO gamers: on that most anticipated list SWTOR is the only MMO game mentioned, while on the mmorpg.com most anticipated list you see GW2, Rift and Xsyon rank higher.

Nothing bad said about those 3 games, but I'm willing to bet that outside of this site hardly anyone knows of Xsyon or even cares about it.

I agree.

And that's the thing, whenever I read posts on this site stating what "gamers" want or "what games are going to fail because it's 'same old same old" I think that it's really a very small part of the community thinking that the rest of the populace who playrs games approaches them like hardcore gamers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I did not see GW2 there :(

• justamemoryjustamemory Member Posts: 200

there's lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics.

1000 people over 2 weeks?

LOL

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It kind of shows how little people think of mmos. Outside of our little circle here on the internet most gamers prefer other genres. Can't really blame them really, outside of the community aspect of mmos the actual gameplay of mmos are inferior to single and multiplayer games.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by arenasb

It kind of shows how little people think of mmos. Outside of our little circle here on the internet most gamers prefer other genres. Can't really blame them really, outside of the community aspect of mmos the actual gameplay of mmos are inferior to single and multiplayer games.

Well aside from social games being counted as "PC games",  consoles are the larger platform for the games listed.  Hell the number one title was a 360 title!  

I think the only reason SWTOR is really on there is because BioWare is so heavily mainstream and their games are so sought after. BioWare could have come out with Sesame Street Online and it would have probably been on the list. image

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

And the community aspect right now is maybe not worth it.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Metentso

And the community aspect right now is maybe not worth it.

Actually, I have rather enjoyed reading some posts and actually discussing this game with SOME people on these forums.  Mostly the people that are not in the extremes about this game (for the good OR bad).  I will admit that there has been a bunch of nuts on both sides of the fence that make enjoying the conversation a little difficult sometimes.  It does get a little tiresome reading the "this is why it will fail!" and the "this is why it will kill WoW!" posts, but I mostly just ignore them.

To be honest though, it is worse walking into most video game stores and looking for a new game and those places almost totally cater to the single player games.  On a couple occasions I almost got dragged into a fist fight when I was caught between two very rabid fans of similar games that felt I just had to try their game first because it was "So UBER Awesome!".  I'll take this website over that situation again any day of the week. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by nomss

I'm not surprised. More people have heard of SWTOR, than GW2 for some reason. SWTOR= huge licensed IP made by a huge player in the RPG console and PC game market... BioWare>Mostly  MMO fans have probably heard of GW2, were as console players are beginning to catch wind of SWTOR and showing up on the TOR forums daily.That could either be good or bad. Chances are though if they love BioWare RPGs, they aren't total FPS a-hats, and will thrive on the role playing servers.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by nomss

I'm not surprised. More people have heard of SWTOR, than GW2 for some reason. SWTOR= huge licensed IP made by a huge player in the RPG console and PC game market... BioWare>Mostly  MMO fans have probably heard of GW2, were as console players are beginning to catch wind of SWTOR and showing up on the TOR forums daily.That could either be good or bad. Chances are though if they love BioWare RPGs, they aren't total FPS a-hats, and will thrive on the role playing servers.

Yeah, Bioware has two other games on that list as well (Mass Effect 3 / Dragon Age 2). People who like Bioware's other games but are not MMO / Star Wars fans are primarily interested because of the Bioware style. There are a lot of these folks out there. Also, Gears of War is an very well designed set of games.