Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 1 year, STO worth picking up?

Comments

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by D_TOX

I watched the 1 year anniversary video, they have certainly 'improved' on a lot, and i am tempted. One thing that worries me though is the complete lack of death penalty, at all. Is there any reason to stay alive in this game yet?

I haven't played in a few months.  But, honestly, I quit because they still had NOT fixed 90% of the quest bugs they had from Launch.  Plus Cryptic's Customer Support is such a complete joke!  You'll wait 48hrs plus for a canned answer that might not even address the issue you were reporting.  I have a Lifetime Sub and I cannot bear to log in any longer.  And I am so disappointed, because the IP held so much promise.  ... Just thinking about it makes me sick!

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

I woul say that yes, after a year STO is worth picking up.  This is where the game should of have been at launch but it launched in a pre-beta stage and ruined it for the players that got in at the beginning.  For spme of the players who got in at the start (I am one of them), nothing Cryptic can do would make this game redeemable in their eyes, but as a new player or one who is re-subbing after stoping after the first month or so, then Yes, this game is definately worth  a monthly sub.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

I woul say that yes, after a year STO is worth picking up.  This is where the game should of have been at launch but it launched in a pre-beta stage and ruined it for the players that got in at the beginning.  For spme of the players who got in at the start (I am one of them), nothing Cryptic can do would make this game redeemable in their eyes, but as a new player or one who is re-subbing after stoping after the first month or so, then Yes, this game is definately worth  a monthly sub.

I disagree , the game is still in beta , otherwise explain the foundry and the incomplete Klingon faction . Saying that Dstahl has made the comment and it appears like a commitment to finally get around to finishing the Klingon faction , in the latest ask Cryptic. On one hand he squelches a fire and with the other he starts one , by implying the Romulans will never be a fully realized faction on there own. LMAO. He may end up backing down , but given the time they've taken to realize the Klingon faction , it'll be atleast two to three years before the Romulans are a full faction. In a years time frame , they've added very little actual non C-store content.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=201427

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

ROFL!  the executive producer of the game disagrees with you scribble.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177070&page=2

So from where I'm sitting, Cryptic is not throwing STO under the bus, but instead listening to the concerns of the team, and giving us the time and resources we need to begin addressing some of the bigger issues like Ground Combat, Sector Space, Exploration, PVP, and any other big issue that has been clearly called out in reviews.

ground combat- not fixed

sector space-fixed

exploration-not fixed

pvp- not fixed

other big issues- not fixed ( this would include lack of content, klingons, etc)

notice it is the actual gameplay things that make an mmo entertaining/fun that still are not fixed 6 months later (the post is from august last year)

worth picking up if your curious... sure for 2.50$ play for a couple weeks. is the game actually any good after a year....NO!

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Well, that is your right to disagree, but the question was is the game worth getting and in my opinion, yes it is.  No one has bashed this game more than I have, just check out my previous posts, but for the price you can get it at now and the amount of content that exists, it is well worth a try for a couple months atleast.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Agreed for the the cost of  $ 2.50 you get a months worth of entertainment. If you want more then 30 days though it'll cost  $ 15.00 /mo . that's where you lose me though. It just isn't worth the 15.00/ mo , even with a LTS. LTS ' s are the biggest losers in my opinion, for the simple fact that only 16 to 22 hours of non C-Store content has been added , which is close to nothing. You get nothing free from the C-Store. The model is designed to get money from the LTS. They add just enough content so as not to have a full revolt on the forums. I'm curious to see if they have a graded access to the Foundry ? I'm curious if they'll have some entry level access that's free , then add a scale that they'll charge for. This is not to say the missions will be charged for , that are made by the players , but the actual access to tools ? Honestly with that group at Cryptic , it wouldn't surprise me  if they did.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

OK, as someone who's got  a year or so under my belt of EVE, and loves it, and as someone who likes and enjoys all sorts of MMOs from sandbox to themepark, I'd say yes, STO is good.  It's a light game, but it's a lot of fun.

Like its twin game Champions Online, it's a bit rough round the edges, but the core gameplay is solid, and there's enough intrigue in the build system, and enough depth, to keep you occupied for a few months at least, if you're not all that committed to the lore, and probably much longer if you are.

Space combat is more twitchy and more arcadey fun than EVE, and ground combat is actually very well implemented, with some interesting variations on the theme of crowd control, buffs and debuffs.

The whole feels very much like Star Trek, except for one problem - there's little action in the ship itself.  It's basically either space combat or ground combat.  There are diplomacy and exploration missions which offer a bit of variety, but still need a bit more fleshing out to offer viable alternatives.  And yeah, come on Cryptic, we want to have some stuff going on in the ship.  You can be in your bridge, but there's nothing to do there as yet, and I think Cryptic have put in-ship action on the back burner, which is a shame - it's so iconic for Star Trek, many missions have lots of stuff going on in-ship.

Cryptic have borrowed a few leaves out of Flying Labs' book - the game feels somewhat like PotBS in more ways than one.  "Sector Space" is like the "open sea" of PotBS.  Space combat is a bit like ship-to-ship combat in PotBS, but with the addition of up and down directions, and without the wind direction and sailing malarkey.  But the integration of avatar combat with ship combat is handled a billion times better - the ground missions are much, much better and more varied than in PotBS.

On the whole, yes it's good, if you're looking for another light MMO, but with a Star Trek flavour.  As usual, through all the Cryptic-bashing, nobody's really noticing that Cryptic have managed to pull off what no-one has yet done before them - integrated ground combat and space combat in an s-f MMORPG, pretty well, and pretty smoothly, with both parts feeling as solid as each other. 

CCP take note - this is what we actually want, at the end of the day, from our s-f simulator.  Or rather, this is what we want at the extremes - ground stuff can have much more than just combat, and although Cryptic haven't done the non-combat ground missions with as much variety as one might wish, what they have done shows the potential for this type of all-encompassing s-f game even more clearly.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by gurugeorge

On the whole, yes it's good, if you're looking for another light MMO, but with a Star Trek flavour.  As usual, through all the Cryptic-bashing, nobody's really noticing that Cryptic have managed to pull off what no-one has yet done before them - integrated ground combat and space combat in an s-f MMORPG, pretty well, and pretty smoothly, with both parts feeling as solid as each other. 

Actually, you are wrong: SWG had both ground and space when they introduced the JtL expansion. If you had a ship bigger than a fighter, you could also walk around your ship as well. Additionally the larger ships, such as the YT-1300, allowed multiple players to ride and multi-crew the ship, with different players taking on different roles (pilot, co-pilot, engineer, gunner). What Cryptic brought to the table in the way of innovation, back with CoH, was an unmatched (at that time) level of avatar customization and the badge system that game introduced. Unfortunately Cryptic really hasn't made any innovations since then, and the one thing they keep banging the drum about (customization) is done as well or better by other games now.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Wow. /clap for the honesty from the STO team.

thats all i have to say

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Actually, you are wrong: SWG had both ground and space when they introduced the JtL expansion. If you had a ship bigger than a fighter, you could also walk around your ship as well. Additionally the larger ships, such as the YT-1300, allowed multiple players to ride and multi-crew the ship, with different players taking on different roles (pilot, co-pilot, engineer, gunner). What Cryptic brought to the table in the way of innovation, back with CoH, was an unmatched (at that time) level of avatar customization and the badge system that game introduced. Unfortunately Cryptic really hasn't made any innovations since then, and the one thing they keep banging the drum about (customization) is done as well or better by other games now.

Let's keep in mind that the Cryptic of today isn't the same Cryptic that developed CoH. NCSoft took control of CoH and hired the best of Cryptic devs to run it.  The Cryptic of today is the cast off slough of its former self.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

If you're a fan of the series and you can get the steal of a deal they had going on Amazon ($2.50) then try it out!

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

I was in beta and I got the game in December for a bargain basement price. It was definitely worth what I paid, but I was actually surprised by how little had changed since beta. Sector space looks different but it's still essentially the same. Ground combat is still an exercise in tedium (the only redeeming thing about ground combat in STO is that you don't have to be at your computer to do it). The weekly "episodes" are a step up, for the most part -- but nothing that involves STO ground combat can be all that much fun, and frankly I thought the TOS cameos were just shameless pandering.

But worst of all, I twice ran into quest bugs and went to the forums to see if there was a workaround or if it was a known issue, only to find long threads on the subject where the last post was ten months old.

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Let's keep in mind that the Cryptic of today isn't the same Cryptic that developed CoH. NCSoft took control of CoH and hired the best of Cryptic devs to run it.  The Cryptic of today is the cast off slough of its former self.

True, but they have generally managed to keep up with their hallmark customization options. Unfortunately, they also kept their over-usage of instancing as well; that, according to statements he has made, is the influence of Jack Emmert. Their newest games would have been far better served if they had kicked him to the curb years ago.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

just to stay on topic .... i think it's a big NO... until it's Free to Play ..with a Cash shop ..then its maybe worth it! ... but not with the light content @ $15 per month and still have to buy stuff in the Cash shop!

They realy have not added much in the last 12 months ...

SUCKAGE = 95% ...

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I have a couple friends who believe this game is awesome. Didn't realize they were seriously playing it until I went over to their place, and they're maxed level and having a good time. I asked them if it was any good, while one guy was doing a ground raid, and they're like "Ohh yeah, it's amazing. This ground stuff is actually the worst part of the game."

I was watching the ground combat and it looked pretty fun. Running/rolling around, shooting off the phasers like crazy, etc.

But I don't think I could personally get into it. They said it helps to be a Star Trek fan, which I'm not.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Ok, well I have come back to this game. First off, a group of friends including myself had all pre-ordered this game (about 6 people). We all got the beta keys and started playing the beta. I have to say that we were thoroughly disappointed in this game. The crashes during episodes, the constant lag issue and some of the controls namely ascending and descending a space ship. I thought that basic mechanic in itself was very pertinent but was willing to overlook it.

Regardless, playing beta and trying to form an opinion about an MMO sometimes is really hard to do. I found that I liked some of the aspects of the game but it was not enough for me to pay money for it so I canceled (all of us canceled). I have tried every MMO that has come out until this point except for APB. With that said, I have either gotten into the beta or have gotten a chance to play these games and have always come away disappointed.

Recently, I was trying to find a hobby to keep me occupied, while waiting for school. So, I started to read some posts here and on massively. Trying to find something to my liking. I first thought of Aion but to be honest I could only take so much of the grind (not that the grind was that bad). Just didnt feel like putting myself through it again. Aion is a good game, but not for me. So, I came to Star Trek again..... I was having a hard time justifying this game at all. I could already hear my friends screaming at me about the issues we had talked about previously. Re-hasing old arguments about this game. So, I didnt consult them and just did it on my own. One of my friends noticed that I was playing it on Steam and was like... "What are you doing?". I said, I" needed to play something.. " I told him, "I read some reviews on it and some of the people that have come back, have said' "that it is more polished and really nice game to play." I specifically,  remembered someone saying that playing the episodes and doing fleet battle was really fun and that is what Cryptic envisioned it should have been.

So I have been playing, for about 2 weeks. I have to say that I am actually enjoying my time with this game. My friend and I are Lieutenant Commander's. I am the Tank and he is the DPS. We are both really having fun playing this game right now. I will also stress... RIGHT NOW. Because it may change at some point. I have heard the issue with game is that you can blast through it really fast. Ok, great.. I dont know if I really care since I have the intention of putting it down at some point. In short, I would recommend this game to anyone that is not looking to critique. If you are looking for the perfect MMO, I would suggest dont play MMO's because it will not happen. But if you are looking to play something that has great afffects and awesome ship battles... Then give it a shot. Its only 14.99 on Steam and you get 1 month free. If you dont like it by the end of the month.... O well. I hope this helped.

Originally posted by Proximo521

Regardless, playing beta and trying to form an opinion about an MMO sometimes is really hard to do.

Actually, that is incorrect: Unless they postpone the game and do a total redesign (which happens occasionally), what you see in beta is what you are going to get at launch due to the game being feature locked (again not counting redesigns). If you are in the open beta, at the end of open beta what you see is mostly what you are going to get.

• PojeTehManPojeTehMan Member Posts: 5

One word : Admiral.

In STO you have thousands of Admirals on bridges of Ships and for me, a Star Trek fan, thats ridiculus...

Just one exemple of how stupid this game is and how FAR from the storylines of the television series it is.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I suppose you could try out battlestar galactica, but it isn't very good although can be fun at times.  Might do you as a bit of fluff to muck about with now and again until something decent arrives

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Play the trial, then decide.

I'm a life time member and I tend to pop in here and there to see how the game is coming along.  Lately I've been playing a little more, but still pretty casually.  They will be releasing the Foundry to live here in a month or so I believe...not sure on that.  But that will open the flood gates of content which has been one of the major complaints of the game.

For 10 bucks though, it might be worth picking up.  The game has improved since release last year and continues to improve, but if you are looking for a harcore or traditional mmo type experience you may want to look else where. 

• KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

Thank you all for your replies. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered two copies, one for myself and a buddy. Got the collectors edition for $10.00 from Direct to drive with a 20% discount. 

So far I'm enjoying it, freindly community and I enjoy the casual nature of the game. 

Keyno

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

For 5 bucks you cant go wrong just dont buy a life time. Dont expect much eather sto is a action mmo cash grab so be carefull

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by PojeTehMan

One word : Admiral.

In STO you have thousands of Admirals on bridges of Ships and for me, a Star Trek fan, thats ridiculus...

Just one exemple of how stupid this game is and how FAR from the storylines of the television series it is.

Well look at it this way its the mmos frist! were every one is the same rank!

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

seems like theres more pros then cons at this point.  I played beta and it fried my computer due to sone infinite framerate bug.  But it seems like most of the tech issues seem to be fixed, i guess i'll pick it up and give it another go....