Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 Video of this Pathetic Game

Anyone who sees the LotRO video and believes this game in anyway captures the essence and excitement and the possible interpretations (whether Purist or Realist) of The Lord of the Rings or Middle-earth is deluding themselves.

This video, without doubt, illustrates precisely what I've been saying for the last 3 years: Turbine has mauled this Story and turned it into a mediocre arcade/console game.

I thought it was impossible to be any more dissappointed and outraged than the last 3 years have made me. I see I was mistaken. I haven't had the experience of depravity associated with this company that others have---though I was warned of it on other bboards.

So, here it is: this game is not Lord of the Rings Online nor is it even Middle-earth Online. It's a mediocre console game with the absolute cheapest veneer of Middle-earth stamped on top of it. I'm absolutely appalled and outraged. There is no longer any question whatsoever of me paying this company for this rather infantile attempt. In addition to my absolute relegation of Turbine, I must also begin to question the motivations of Tolkien Enterprises who have, apparently, lowered their standards as well---merely for the sake of money.

Alc

Comments

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Oh cheer up for God's sake--it's just a game. I swear--people take themselves so seriously around here.

In my opinion, I saw nothing wrong with how the game looked; I simply thought the combat looked a little bland (but then, the majority of MMO's have that problem).

I'm not sure what grandoise things you expected for this game in your mind, but I think that it's shaping up just fine. Go whine somewhere else.

• MSCavMSCav Member UncommonPosts: 141

where is the video?

Cav, Senior Commander Midnight Squadron.  midnightsquadron.com

Originally posted by MSCav
    where is the video?

This probably isn't the one that the original poster was referring to, but this one is a good 26 minutes of gameplay footage:

http:/www.rpgplanet.com/memw/

Scroll halfway down the main page, and you will see something like 'LOTR Online Game Demo'.

• MadallawMadallaw Member Posts: 15

While I am not a serious gamer, I have played WoW, EQ2, SWG, Guild Wars, etc. I am also a big Tolkien fan. That said. I don't think this game will be a real hit. Here's why: #1 you can't play as the evil side. and #2 No PvP. These things are essential to stay alive with the other MMORPG's out there. If this game had the freedom and size of WoW and the PvP of Guild Wars with the graphics of EQ2... there maybe some hope.

Tolkien's world is massive. It is also a classic struggle between good and evil, so why would there be no option to play the evil side. To me, that alone would make me not buy it.

• KingElessarKingElessar Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Madallaw

While I am not a serious gamer, I have played WoW, EQ2, SWG, Guild Wars, etc. I am also a big Tolkien fan. That said. I don't think this game will be a real hit. Here's why: #1 you can't play as the evil side. and #2 No PvP. These things are essential to stay alive with the other MMORPG's out there. If this game had the freedom and size of WoW and the PvP of Guild Wars with the graphics of EQ2... there maybe some hope.
    Tolkien's world is massive. It is also a classic struggle between good and evil, so why would there be no option to play the evil side. To me, that alone would make me not buy it.

Let me tell you that your perspective of what LotRO should be like is very biased to say the least. If you think that the only good games are ones that fit into your idea for it, you really need to broaden your views of what a game can be. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tolkien's world isn't about Good verses Evil, it's about Good's struggle against Evil both physically and spiritually (there is a big difference). It's about the individual fighting against Evil, so to include evil races would take away from this element. And if you don't have evil races then PvP is out, when you read the Books can you imagine Hobbits dualing Elves or Men fighting Dwarves, I can tell you that it would be totally against the lore of the Books if PvP was in the game and there was evil races.

I have never played WoW before so I don't know how big it is, so please tell me how many hours it takes, in real life, to run from one side to the other. Just so you know it will take 10 hours to run from Rivendell to the Grey Havens (in LotRO), and they plan on releasing all of Middle-earth, so I would save the size arguments for some other game.

How many screenshots from LotRo have you seen? Perhaps you should take a look at the detail that is in them and you will see that the Dev team like their details. And no offence but if you think the graphics are bad then you need to schedule an appointment with your optometrist image.

KingElessar

PS. oh and with the graphics thing, MMORPG.com just named LotRO runner-up in Best MMO Graphics at E3, after Pirates of the Burning Sea.

• WiLdShOt1989WiLdShOt1989 Member Posts: 1

Well said KingElessar, Those were some good points you made and I for one am looking forward to playing this game. It's gonna be flippin' sweet!! ::::01:: I mean 10 hours to walk from Rivendell to the Grey Havens and that's just a part of Middle-Earth. Imagine all the exploring that you could do, it's gonna be awesome! Has there ever been any other game that was as big as this is gonna be? ::::02::::::02::::::02::

GIT-R-DONE!!!

Actually, the devs have stated that not ALL of Middle Earth will be up for exploration right at release, simply because of the amount of detail they are putting in to Tolkien's world. They will, however, expand upon it in the future.
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

No, hes right. This really isnt Middle Earth.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

What i don't understand is how anyone can compare a game in developement to a game that has been released and say that a game that is  in developement suxs. Hey if you don't like turbine that is great more power to you. But to swear to be a tolkien fan and say that this game isn't anything like middle earth or what tolkien invisioned when it hasn't even been completed. I would like the number of the phsycic you talk to who is able to put you in touch with tolkien beyond the grave. I would dearly love to speak with tolkien.

Personally i dont think any of us know or have a clue what tolkien was truly thinking when he created middle earth. We can all speculate and guess. The lord of the rings was not and is not anything like the movies, the atmosphere is so much differant and so much richer. Hey i liked the movies but they can never be compared to the books. It is so much more than good and evil races. So there is no PVP or evil races, So this game isn't looking like every other MMO out there, I see that as a good thing, I just read the newest dev diary on Questing and how in depth it will be, Sounds to me like more fun than anyother game out there.

imageimage

• hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by Grindalyx
    What i don't understand is how anyone can compare a game in developement to a game that has been released and say that a game that is in developement suxs. Hey if you don't like turbine that is great more power to you. But to swear to be a tolkien fan and say that this game isn't anything like middle earth or what tolkien invisioned when it hasn't even been completed. I would like the number of the phsycic you talk to who is able to put you in touch with tolkien beyond the grave. I would dearly love to speak with tolkien.
    Personally i dont think any of us know or have a clue what tolkien was truly thinking when he created middle earth. We can all speculate and guess. The lord of the rings was not and is not anything like the movies, the atmosphere is so much differant and so much richer. Hey i liked the movies but they can never be compared to the books. It is so much more than good and evil races. So there is no PVP or evil races, So this game isn't looking like every other MMO out there, I see that as a good thing, I just read the newest dev diary on Questing and how in depth it will be, Sounds to me like more fun than anyother game out there.

Ya your right, personally I think this game looks really good. It's not jus copying whatever has already been done in every other game and tried to make a game more for the RPG feel rather then the grind to hit max lvl and buy the best wep. Originally (and I'm talking Ultima Online here) mmoRPGs notice the RPG at the end there, were suposed to emerse the player in this fantasy world, not simply to make you go through the motions because you know you have to. I will be playing this game because it sounds like its right up my ally and even if alot of people don't play that's still straight because it's supposed to be for solo play too.

• brandonbblazbrandonbblaz Member Posts: 19
    game is going to be good cheetos=noob good
  • morphomorpho Member Posts: 51

I haven been looking out for this game since they first said anything about it in 2001-2002 time period. I think this game will be amazing even if there isnot PvP, it will still be a good month of gaming :-p since that is about how long I have been able to continue playing MMORPG's since i quit EverQuest. Just something different about all the rest that doesn't compare to EQ...

I think you will find this game differant, For one there is going to be 3 differant types of quest arcs in this game, If you would like to read up on them go to LOTROsource.com. You can also read up on other parts of the game that they are finally letting us know about there also. I personaly think this game will rival all other games out there.

imageimage

• HawkinsHawkins Member UncommonPosts: 121

Just to let you know that world size is totally meaningless in a level based game. As in a level-based game, there are only level maps where you beat the mobs of your level, after beating the mobs you level your char up and you leave the area *FOREVER* and go to another level map for the mobs of your level.

So precisely speaking, you are not talking about the world size but the size of each level map. There is no such thing as *a world* in a level based game, all are just level maps where you beat the mobs and leave forever.

• KingElessarKingElessar Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Hawkins

Just to let you know that world size is totally meaningless in a level based game. As in a level-based game, there are only level maps where you beat the mobs of your level, after beating the mobs you level your char up and you leave the area *FOREVER* and go to another level map for the mobs of your level.
    So precisely speaking, you are not talking about the world size but the size of each level map. There is no such thing as *a world* in a level based game, all are just level maps where you beat the mobs and leave forever.

Perhaps my friend you shoudl read more about LotRO then you will find that it is a zoneless (or for you mapless) game, zones are seamless, which in turn means that you are incorrect.image

Originally posted by KingElessar
    Perhaps my friend you shoudl read more about LotRO then you will find that it is a zoneless (or for you mapless) game, zones are seamless, which in turn means that you are incorrect.image

Actually you're missing his point, of which he has a valid one, actually. When he speaks of 'level maps', he's speaking figuratively, and not of actual zoned areas. Think about what happens in other level-based games such as World of Warcraft. As a dwarf, when you've completed all of the quests in Dun Morogh, then moved on and completed all of the quests in Loch Modan, what is your incentive for ever going back to those areas?

There isn't any, because all enemies in those regions are geared towards the lower levels, and would no longer be a challenge for your character any more. Level-based games (of which I don't have a problem with, actually) tend to push the player through progressively harder areas of stronger and stronger enemies, eventually herding all of the top tier players into the same end-game areas. This ultimately and unrealistically segregates the player base (ie all max level characters in one part of the world, all noobs in another part).

Then again, I don't think Turbine is in the wrong for making LOTRO a level-based game--I enjoy them and can deal with the generally unrealistic nature of them (besides, skill-based games, the alternative, have a whole slew of problems all their own as well).

Yes it is true this is a lvl based game and that once you lvl up on certain monsters you move on, but unlike most lvl base games they are concentrating on giving us the 3 differant quest arcs to give us something to do other than just grind out lvls. These quest can take us anywere in middle earth, so even though we might be done lvling in one area that area could still be important in any number of quests that are included in the 3 quest arcs. Plus for me there will be the enjoyment of just wandering thru middle earth (Huge tolkien fan since 10 yrs old image ) again if they were to do it right they could disperse the mobs all over the map and have Higher lvl ones in same area as lower lvl ones (just don't make them aggro) so you would still go back to the same area at higher lvl to hunt the higher lvl mobs. Would also be neat if they made the mobs migrate so you don't find them in the same spot everytime you would actually have to hunt for them. Just my thoughts. But he is right most games based on lvls move you along into a certain end area and the size of the playable area for you is determined by your lvl.

imageimage

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by Alcarion

Anyone who sees the LotRO video and believes this game in anyway captures the essence and excitement and the possible interpretations (whether Purist or Realist) of The Lord of the Rings or Middle-earth is deluding themselves.
    This video, without doubt, illustrates precisely what I've been saying for the last 3 years: Turbine has mauled this Story and turned it into a mediocre arcade/console game.
    I thought it was impossible to be any more dissappointed and outraged than the last 3 years have made me. I see I was mistaken. I haven't had the experience of depravity associated with this company that others have---though I was warned of it on other bboards.
    So, here it is: this game is not Lord of the Rings Online nor is it even Middle-earth Online. It's a mediocre console game with the absolute cheapest veneer of Middle-earth stamped on top of it. I'm absolutely appalled and outraged. There is no longer any question whatsoever of me paying this company for this rather infantile attempt. In addition to my absolute relegation of Turbine, I must also begin to question the motivations of Tolkien Enterprises who have, apparently, lowered their standards as well---merely for the sake of money.
    Alc

So youve played it then?

Originally posted by brandonbblaz
    game is going to be good cheetos=noob good

what?image
  • GunnerXLGunnerXL Member Posts: 3
    All these different opinions.... i think some people are thinking bad of this because EA screwed up the first 3 games. I think this game looks good but I want to play it to get a real impression of lotrO. And remember this: the game is nearly a year away from the official release, so there might be some big improvements. 

Originally posted by Alcarion

Alc

k.

Do a better job.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by j-monster
    k.
    Do a better job.

Are you serious? In order to criticize something, that person needs to improve on the thing they're criticizing or their opinion is invalid?

Have you ever seen a movie that sucked? Have you ever made a movie?

On topic, yeah I'm sure LOTR online will be the next lowest-common-denominator trashy smash hit. Yay consumerism! ::::07::

Originally posted by firemagic

k.
    Do a better job.

Are you serious? In order to criticize something, that person needs to improve on the thing they're criticizing or their opinion is invalid?

If you read into this game AT ALL. Which i highly doubt you have, you would realize Turbine is putting forth a Herculean effort in order to make this as true to the books as possible. So if our going to bitch about the stuff their doing.. do a better job.

Yes I have and yes I have. Whats your point.

On topic, yeah I'm sure LOTR online will be the next lowest-common-denominator trashy smash hit. Yay consumerism! ::::07::

Doubtful seeing as the player base is already quite large.

Im more or less sure you said this to be a obnoxious

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by firemagic Originally posted by j-monsterk.Do a better job. Are you serious? In order to criticize something, that person needs to improve on the thing they're criticizing or their opinion is invalid?
    If you read into this game AT ALL. Which i highly doubt you have, you would realize Turbine is putting forth a Herculean effort in order to make this as true to the books as possible. So if our going to bitch about the stuff their doing.. do a better job.
    People don't have to "do a better job" in order to have an opinion on something. I thought I explained this clearly enough the first time.
    Yes I have and yes I have. Whats your point.
    OK.... If you've ever thought a movie sucked, then you are entitled to your opinion. Even if you hadn't seen the movie and based your opinion on what you'd heard about it, you are still entitled to your opinion. No reasonable person would expect you to have to make a better movie just to validate your opinion. Similarly, asking people who don't work for gaming companies to make a better computer game just to validate their opinion is unreasonable and absurd.
    On topic, yeah I'm sure LOTR online will be the next lowest-common-denominator trashy smash hit. Yay consumerism!
    Doubtful seeing as the player base is already quite large.
    You misunderstand. I said I expect the game to be a success, not a failure.
    Im more or less sure you said this to be a obnoxious
    Wrong. But if that's what you need to tell yourself in order to dismiss my opinion, whatever works for you.Alcarion's post was clear and concisely written. Although he seemed pretty pissed, he pointed out what he perceives as flaws in the production of LOTR online based on the video he saw, and you reply "Do a better job". I think you could have countered him more intelligently and constructively, and I sincerely mean that as a compliment.

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Please keep this civil ::::39::

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.