Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta really bad so far - glad I was in other betas

2»

Comments

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by tordurbar

If you could get to the Rift forums now you would be reading a horror story: constant disconnects, characters wiped, unability to complete the character creation process and  things just disappearing. Now I am unable to even get into the Forums!

I am SO glad that I played in the other 6 betas. If I was new to Rift I would have been done with the game before I started with all the problems that the open beta is having. I am keeping my pre-order but only because I have faith in Trion. Now, if they are having the same problems tomorrow, then...

I personally am glad this happened.  Its a good thing when things like this happen in beta.  This gives them an opportunity to figure out where the problems are, and fix them.  Now if this same thing happened after March 1st...  Then I might not appreciate it.

I just hope my characters aren't permanently wiped!

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by tankage

Not sure what game you guys are playing but I got in right at the start of this beta, plowed through 3 levels already to 38 and have had no issues up until this recent crash. They are fixing the problem, not sure what the big deal is here... People love to make things sound so much worse than they really are, so dramatic.. Go get a beer, relax for a few and it will be back up soon...

Yep same here. Perfect performance till crash. People is overreacting...it's first day OPEN beta after all. I am glad they are properly stress testing servers. Trion is great.

• SnailtrailSnailtrail Member Posts: 258

This open beta event is nothing more than a free trial week.  The real beta was during their "closed" beta, the one that had 42 servers running and constant stress tests that usually involved spawning every rift possible, non stop.

This event is nothing more than showcasing the game.

I did have some issues rolling through the start areas an yet another character.  The mobs were not responsive...i would attack and they would sit there.  I couldnt pull, and it seemed strange considering how well this area prefored in the past betas, with just as many, if not less, players on the map.

The servers crashing didnt have their usual lag insanity before hand.

I also noticed that a lot of the issues i had, and presented in beta were still there as well.

The community was pretty bad during the closed betas, however this one puts it all on a new level. Not just in general chat, which consists of wow arguments, but playing next to other people.  The simplest of questions or comments are met with the harshest language they could possibly think of.  Simple things like "hey you only gotta kill this guy once, mind if i get a quick kill in?" or  "hey you want to come do this quest with me?" among other normal questions to people in front of me all resulted in just insane cursing, like i had deeply offended them.  Do i really have to play this game with all the chats off and ignoring everyone if i just want a normal game experience?

Also, minimize your characters and rerolls.  Its really not all that fun your second time though the early content, much worse after multiple times.

Well it seems like everything is still down...

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by Juaks

Not sure what game you guys are playing but I got in right at the start of this beta, plowed through 3 levels already to 38 and have had no issues up until this recent crash. They are fixing the problem, not sure what the big deal is here... People love to make things sound so much worse than they really are, so dramatic.. Go get a beer, relax for a few and it will be back up soon...

Yep same here. Perfect performance till crash. People is overreacting...it's first day OPEN beta after all. I am glad they are properly stress testing servers. Trion is great.

Guys it is somewhat disconcerting to log back in and not see any of your character...  Yes, I know its beta.  I can understand how people are less than impressed.  But I'd much rather have this happen now!

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

OMFG canceling my CE, im done Trion . This just does not happen in open beta!!!!!oneone1111

p.s. Hehe image

/sarcasm off

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Every MMO's community always bashes WoW, even wow players bash it. Only because they want another game to rise above and establish a greater player-base. I like rift. It's a nice break untill SWTOR gets here. haha the server fail was terrible though.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Servers are up. characters are fine. Took about 45 minutes to get everything back up. In the last 6 Betas, that's the first unannounced downtime i've seen. This is the most stable MMO client I've ever seen pre release. Don't be such a crybaby. They owe you nothing at this point. Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go back to having fun. you people enjoy your misery.

Joined - July 2004

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Stress test +1

New players -1

The only thing I can say is that normally the game functions as intended. These are empty words I'm sure for the first timers, but take heart, the game is really good for what it is.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

You got to 38, today?  Yeah, ok.  Unless they DRASTICALLY changed the leveling curve for the worse.. and I can't see that, as it only took a day to get to level 20, and at that rate, ppl will be at end game in a week.  Why even sub if that were true?

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

You got to 38, today?  Yeah, ok.  Unless they DRASTICALLY changed the leveling curve for the worse.. and I can't see that, as it only took a day to get to level 20, and at that rate, ppl will be at end game in a week.  Why even sub if that were true?

you really should re-read what was said...

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• rainorxxrainorxx Member Posts: 85

All my chars disappear.....!!!!!

WTF!

This really sux.... this open beta is waste of time. I'll wait until the release.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is kind of funny, because for many people - this will be their first taste of RIFT...and it will not mesh with anything that anybody has been saying (even the haters did not come up with anything this bad)... oh well, eh?

Then again, aside from saying that they cannot get in - they cannot really say anything bad though, am I right?  :)

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am surprised how bad it runs today, indeed. Constant disconnects, issued to relog... whoa. That has "wait a bit after release" written all over, it seems.

EDIT: Well, my characters are all GONE. *sigh*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by rainorxx

All my chars disappear.....!!!!!

WTF!

They're not actually gone, it's their data server that's crashing repeatedly.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I'm disappointed in that each beta seems to add more bugs than the last.  The many sound bugs added in this beta are more than annoying, especially as a Bard where the musical part of the sound effects seem muted while the clangy parts are jarringly loud and no amount of adjustment in the sound settings fixes it.  Reported, but still disappointed at this stage of Beta when it ran so much better in Beta events 1 - 4.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Seriously...  You people that are complaining.  Do you actually know what beta and stress tests are?

FFS people these things are ment to happen now so as to hopefully not happen at release.

Trion is doing this now in preperation for a clean and stable release later for their paying customers not for you freeloaders who are leeching free gameplay.  Stop your whining...

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Better now than during retail. Let's hope they get it all sorted out, and meanwhile, chillax image

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by EbonHawk

Seriously...  You people that are complaining.  Do you actually know what beta and stress tests are?

FFS people these things are ment to happen now so as to hopefully not happen at release.

Trion is doing this now in preperation for a clean and stable release later for their paying customers not for you freeloaders who are leeching free gameplay.  Stop your whining...

Maybe they think they're playing release and actually paid some money.

• AnonymousMeAnonymousMe Member Posts: 49

Yeah, yeah. Every piece of shit game that has come into this genre in the last decade has been prefaced with fans screaming "It's just beta, it'll be fine on release!!", followed by those same fans later proclaiming "Boy, was I fucking wrong!".

• LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by AnonymousMe

Yeah, yeah. Every piece of shit game that has come into this genre in the last decade has been prefaced with fans screaming "It's just beta, it'll be fine on release!!", followed by those same fans later proclaiming "Boy, was I fucking wrong!".

Kind of like World of Warcraft.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Elidien

Originally posted by AnonymousMe

The difference is Trion is working on things like server performance, stability and the like in the open beta. They are now remaking entire class systems, merging classes, removing entire towns and cities and redesigning things from the ground up like other games.

I've seen plenty of tweaks to classes but no removals, merges, or re-writes. I'm still low level so it's possible towns have been removed I suppose, but every class is still there unless I've been asleep at the wheel. And across three beta tests this and the ease with which stealth is broken are the only two bugs I've seen. The game is much more polished than some I've seen that have been out for years. Does that mean it's perfect? No. But it's a pretty good start so far.

• ElyxthaxzusElyxthaxzus Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by lunatis

{mod edit}

Hairstyles isn't a big issue for me (I would't argue with more though), but i agree otherwise about the character skins. Probably my biggest gripe so far in the game. I hate the character skins. all the female skins are blocky with skinny arms and legs (my name is bertha!). The dudes have shoulders that slope and expressions that make them look dopey or on a depression kick. Really doesn't scream 'hero' or 'ascended' to me.

But back on topic. I remember multiple times WoW  crashed after major releases. I remember one time shortly after the wrath release where the servers were down for longer then 24 hours. I think it's sorta funny how folks forget stuff like that. the network team was fast on response to this down time in Rift. To me that's far more important then the simple fact that it went down. all MMO's have emergency situations. The response is what makes or breaks it for me. and they responded well.

besides, it's an open beta (read free play) on probably one of the biggest new releases this year. every shard was full (not sure if they're actual servers or virtual farms since they call them shards). I was expecting that. I myself had one time where it lagged and dropped me. i waited 5m and logged back on, no issues. my only worry was the immense lag, usually hit me hardest when i hit a rift event. Oh well, im sure populations will drop once peeps have to pay for it. Im eagerly waiting for the early release. That's when the pop will probably be at it's lowest, and well at least have a few days to get out of the starter zones to avoid the 12 yr olds spamming WoW comments.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by jonesing22

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

Glad to hear the other betas were not so bad.

Me and 3 friends have been trying all day to get a character made.

And the forums are down...

The character appearance does seem lacking.

The skin colors is not varied enough and there's not enough hair styles.

Thats all I can tell so far till it makes my character.

I see your point, but who actually spends so much time in game looking at someone's or their own characters?

er, well I do. but then again Aesthetics are important to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo