Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta really bad so far - glad I was in other betas

tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

If you could get to the Rift forums now you would be reading a horror story: constant disconnects, characters wiped, unability to complete the character creation process and  things just disappearing. Now I am unable to even get into the Forums!

I am SO glad that I played in the other 6 betas. If I was new to Rift I would have been done with the game before I started with all the problems that the open beta is having. I am keeping my pre-order but only because I have faith in Trion. Now, if they are having the same problems tomorrow, then...

Comments

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

I don't get how their servers and forum go down at the same time. Those are supposed to be on different servers so that can never happen.image

• SirDerpSirDerp Member UncommonPosts: 72

I like to take every chance I can to blow things way out of proportion. The servers just crashed because of an overload during a stess test so the game must be auto-fail.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by tordurbar

If you could get to the Rift forums now you would be reading a horror story: constant disconnects, characters wiped, unability to complete the character creation process and  things just disappearing. Now I am unable to even get into the Forums!

I am SO glad that I played in the other 6 betas. If I was new to Rift I would have been done with the game before I started with all the problems that the open beta is having. I am keeping my pre-order but only because I have faith in Trion. Now, if they are having the same problems tomorrow, then...

== US Beta Servers DOWN for Network Fixes - 2/15/2011 4:05pm PST [12:05am GMT] ===

Hi all --

HUGE apologies for the unbroadcasted server drop - several servers were having network issues that we are in the process of fixing and will apply for all US servers while they are down for this.

I'll keep you updated on the server return status here!

Heads up for those of you not seeing your characters on the originally affected servers -- they are still there, the data was unavailable due to the above network problem we're in the process of correcting.

EDIT:

EU Servers are receiving the same server tuning updates being applied to the US servers through a hotpatch process that won't involve bringing the servers all the way down.

Official post from Trion

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ST-12-05am-GMT

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Glad to hear the other betas were not so bad.

Me and 3 friends have been trying all day to get a character made.

And the forums are down...

The character appearance does seem lacking.

The skin colors is not varied enough and there's not enough hair styles.

Thats all I can tell so far till it makes my character.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• himpuhimpu Member Posts: 1

o thank god my character is safe. when i saw him leave im like NO U GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! im sure they will get this problem solved soon enough though. i really like RIFT and would like to get it but am not able to cuz of the monthly subscription. they cant make it at least 10 bucks or something? lol. i think all MMO's should be P2P but without a subscription fee

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

They have been breaking it like this since Beta 2. Just put more and more and more people onto the server to see how long it takes to break it. Typically they start spawning 1,000's of adds to break it too.

• yeah.....it is an open beta stress test. There were quite a few people complaining in /4 that they were having like 20 Second(yeah Seconds) latency. It's not a huge deal....I'm just mad that I don't get to play right now.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I am hammering the Fippy server hmm may be I should hammer this open beta too. Have not had time yet damn you Fippy .

Chamber of Chains

• Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

I see your point, but who actually spends so much time in game looking at someone's or their own characters?

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by cheyane

I am hammering the Fippy server hmm may be I should hammer this open beta too. Have not had time yet damn you Fippy .

What's wrong with Fippy, too many people trying to log in?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Capped I think keep on saying error. I know that when I got in earlier on the GM announced server limit reached within 5 mins ,I made my toons and then logged off to make dinner as I live in Europe and that was the last time I could get in.

Chamber of Chains
  • BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

This is a good thing. Believe me, you want this to happen when your poking around with your Beta (about to be wiped) characters anyway-. This only helps prevent this from happening when we actually get to play. It will be alright.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162

Not sure what game you guys are playing but I got in right at the start of this beta, plowed through 3 levels already to 38 and have had no issues up until this recent crash. They are fixing the problem, not sure what the big deal is here... People love to make things sound so much worse than they really are, so dramatic.. Go get a beer, relax for a few and it will be back up soon...

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually one odd thing about rift.

Beta 3 and 4 felt polished and were pretty balanced -- everything worked together without much restriction -- hybrid however you like.  Servers were rock solid. Practically everyone who played was impressed with it.

Beta 5 was the beta of many keys.  This made the servers a lot less stable.  There were more bugs in Scarlet and less content than in the previous zones.  Things were tuned somewhat and the Rifts won most of the time instead of the other way around.  People who started in beta 5 were not so impressed if they didnt stick with it but things generally came under control by the end of it.

Beta 6 was the beta of many balancings.  LOTS of specializations no longer worked with each other.  Have a champion/paladin -- oops -- sorry.  MUCH harder monster difficulty followed by other tunings.  People began questioning the options provided as instead of a complete range -- only the ends worked.  The new zone seemed hastily constructed and whereas the artifacts say in gloamwood were well placed, scarlet gorge were lacklusterly placed, and reach were obviously just thrown at the zone. 

I actually had the feeling the game wasnt ready yet from playing in beta 6 when I was really confident in the game being practically gold back in beta 3.

Then the news of no 10 player raids etc.

Now Beta 7 and the problems here.  Other class combinations made useless like champion/riftstalker.  More talents put in to try to shoehorn people into 51 point speciailzations. 

I am starting to become a little afraid.  I would much rather have it be based on what I saw in beta 3 and 4 than what I have seen since.  Three convinced me to pre-order to be assured of getting into 4.  6 Shook my confidence. 

Thing is a lot of people are in a state of disbelief -- the whole "It is good they are finding this now" crowd who remember beta 4 and think it just needs the right tuning and everything will be gumdrops and lollipops again.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It does leave you to wonder how server populations are going to work out with how crowded things were.  Sure, folks will say it is just the starting areas - but as people level up, the game will easily get topheavy on population.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  There is a lot of interest in the game, both from those that are looking forward to release and those that are just trolling away.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• shikoushikou Member Posts: 3

this game has alot of promise, i've only made it to lvl 6 before the crash but its fun and looks good too. I cant wait to try crafting and customizing my souls

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by tankage

Not sure what game you guys are playing but I got in right at the start of this beta, plowed through 3 levels already to 38 and have had no issues up until this recent crash. They are fixing the problem, not sure what the big deal is here... People love to make things sound so much worse than they really are, so dramatic.. Go get a beer, relax for a few and it will be back up soon...

Same here tankage.

I really have to believe all these "experienced" beta testers have never been in a beta before otherwise they wouldn't be all up in arms about something that is pretty typical for, and completely the reason for, an open beta.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• CatphreakCatphreak Member Posts: 1

I haven't had any of the problems the OP was listing, but I got kicked when everyone else did.

It was getting fun, I think I was around 5 or 6. Oh well, I'm going to buy it.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by tankage

Same here tankage.

I really have to believe all these "experienced" beta testers have never been in a beta before otherwise they wouldn't be all up in arms about something that is pretty typical for, and completely the reason for, an open beta.

They may be concerned about something like this happening two weeks prior to the official launch and around nine days before the headstart... some may treat it as an omen of how things may go on that headstart or on the day of launch.

It also offers some bad publicity in regard to how well the beta had been going.  Lots of folks were doing the viral thing to get folks to try the open beta... oopsie... now does it turn into damage control from the community, etc?

Of course it is all being blown out of proportion, but it is 2011... the internet has been around a relatively long period of time for some of these folks - does the truth really matter?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

If this happening in a free, open beta would cause a player to decide against any game they are better off staying away from MMOs entirely.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by VirusDancer

It does leave you to wonder how server populations are going to work out with how crowded things were.  Sure, folks will say it is just the starting areas - but as people level up, the game will easily get topheavy on population.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  There is a lot of interest in the game, both from those that are looking forward to release and those that are just trolling away.

I would rather see fewer, population heavy servers for the first few months than have several, severely low pop servers after the first quarter (after the initial drop-off).

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Just relax. A little bit of downtime and you react as though Trion decided to cancel the game. It will be back up. Patience is a virtue.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by pierth

If this happening in a free, open beta would cause a player to decide against any game they are better off staying away from MMOs entirely.

They aren't smart enough to stay away, hence the OP.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• PK4GoldPK4Gold Member UncommonPosts: 62

As stated above, This is an Open beta STRESS TEST!

not the free trial of the game, it is designed to crash at a point , they are looking for that point to make adjustments to their network and I guess they have found that.

Sorry if you guys never got to play before now , but thats your fault since beta keys were available virtually everywhere in almost unlimited supply! for the last 2 beta tests

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I'm just pissed cause I just got home from work, my wifes been texting me, "It really good, you'll like it" ect. ect. I come home to this.........

I might call in tomorrow